[USER][PARTITIONS] Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Several users have complained that they get blank screens and cannot flash new roms to their Nook Color. And sometimes they end up in a recovery bootloop where it will do nothing but boot to recovery no matter what they choose in the boot menu. Sometimes this is due to corrupted partitions on internal memory.

DizzyDen has prepared some .img files that can be burned to emmc to repair some of these issues, and they work well. But some of the files are very large and it takes a little knowledge of adb commands on the part of the users. And some users cannot get adb working on their machines. So I started investigating other solutions, and I have made some tools that work that I hope are user friendly.

Dean Gibson has a thread that describes how to repartition emmc to set the partition sizes for data and media to the user's preference. He repartitions partitions p6 (data), p7 (cache) and p8 (media). In studying his zip, I figured out how to make his tool repair partitions p4 (extended), p5 (system), p6 (data), p7 (cache), and p8 (media). And I was able to add additional commands to also repair partition p1 (boot). I asked Dean's permission to post his tools as modified by me and he agreed. Thanks Dean!

So that takes care of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Partitions 2 and 3 are very special and one must be very careful with them. Partition 2 is 'rom', which holds information that is specific to the user's device (serial number, etc.), and it is used by the system to set flags for deciding whether to boot to recovery or not and set the boot count that is used to decide whether to do a reset to factory conditions (8 failed boots). Partition 3 is 'factory' and holds the factory.zip file used by the 8 failed boot reset (if you want to learn more about the 8 failed boot reset, go to my tips thread linked in my signature). It also holds a backup of the device information in partition 2. So it is possible to repair partition 2 if partition 3 is still intact.

A few users have somehow managed to flash Nook Tablet ROMs to their Nook Colors and really messed up partition 4. (Edit: and now I know how it happened, some idiot recommended that they remove the first line of the updater script. NEVER do that! That line is a safety check to make sure you are flashing to the right device. You can also defeat the safety check by using an old CWM that has the toggle, 'disable asserts'. Never do that either.) And since partition 4 is the extended partition that holds partitions 5, 6, 7, and 8, they get messed up too. To repair those partitions along with partition 1, use CWM recovery to flash the two zips attached below. Be warned that everything in emmc media (p8) will be wiped out, so you may want to back that up first if you still can. The first zip to flash is 'NookColor-emmc-repair-partitions-1-4-5-6-7-8.zip'. It will recreate those partitions on emmc. As soon as you have sucessfully flashed that zip, you must reboot the Nook Color back to CWM so that the updated partition table is read by CWM. Then you need to flash 'NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip' (partitions 1 and 4 do not need formatting). It will format the newly created partitions to the correct structure. Now you can use CWM to restore an earlier nandroid backup or flash your favorite ROM (including stock, get version 1.4.3 that I have modified to be flashable with CWM here, or DizzyDen has posted some excellent 1.4.1 stock ROMs here). If you are going to flash a stock ROM, you must be sure to use the format zip or the stock ROM will not boot properly.

If you are in a recovery bootloop, the first thing I recommend trying is to use my CWM version 5.5.0.4 bootable SD that is discussed in my tips thread linked in my signature and has been modified to help get out of some kinds of recovery flag bootloops. If you are in a recovery bootloop that just hangs, it may get you out of it after exiting my CWM with the 'reboot' command in the menu. But if you are still in the loop after doing that, it may be because your device info is missing or corrupted in partition 2. It will not boot to a ROM without this info. (Specifically, it needs a file in /rom/devconf named DeviceID. It is a text file with your 16 digit serial number in it followed by a line feed, 17 bytes.) Try flashing with CWM my 'NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip' attached to this post to recreate that info. But I recommend this as a last resort, since messing with that partition is risky. That zip will recreate the partition, reset the flags and copy your device specific information from partition 3. But your partition 3 must be intact for this to work. If it is not, the zip will abort and do nothing.

Additionally, for those that do not want to use CWM, I have made a bootable SD that has an older version of TWRP here. Newer versions of TWRP will return an error message when trying to flash these zips. It also has been modified to get you out of some kinds of bootloops.

Two points of information. First, I have included a temporary copy of CWM 5.5.0.4 on the boot partition of my repair so that if tries to reboot to emmc before you put a ROM on it, it goes to CWM. It will be removed as soon as you restore a backup or flash a ROM. Second, the new partition scheme created with my zip is for the original Nook Color's 1GB data and 5GB media. If you want one of the other schemes (5GB data/1GB media or 2GB data/4GB media) go to Dean Gibson's thread and flash his zips after you have repaired your system with mine. See his thread here.

I'm adding a little extra information about emmc partition structure for those interested. With any MBR disk there can be a maximum of four primary partitions. So to have more than four partitions the last primary partition is created as an extended partition so multiple logical partitions can be made inside it. The emmc structure is: p1 (boot, fat, primary), p2 (rom, fat, primary), p3 (factory, ext3, primary), p4 (extended, going from end of p3 to end of the disk), p5 (system, ext2, logical, inside the extended), p6 (data, ext3, logical, inside the extended), p7 (cache, ext3, logical, inside the extended) and p8 (media, fat, logical, inside the extended).

Attachments

• NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip
    334 KB · Views: 7,742
  • NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip
    741.7 KB · Views: 6,563
  • NookColor-emmc-repair-partitions-1-4-5-6-7-8.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 11,157
Last edited:

alfubig

Nov 11, 2009
You save my nook color

Thank you so much. My serial number and other information were recovered successfully. Without those information I could not boot into any rom. If you cannot boot into ROM after following the first 2 steps, try recover partition 2. It works for me.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

paulmartellock

Oct 6, 2011
Cazenovia
Thanks

My nook has been stuck in a "will not boot" state for about a week. I could run CWM and cyanoboot, but when ever I tried to boot CM I would get stuck at the "loading..." screen. I tried loading both CM7 & CM9 but neither one would boot.

I ran both repair scripts, reloaded CM7.1 and success!

Thanks Leapinlar! :good:

dweaton

Jul 11, 2012
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Right from my 1st install I couldn't get the bar at the bottom of the screen, which made using the Kindle app more than a little difficult. This finally cleared everything off so I could start with a clean slate, and BINGO! I know have the bottom bar on all the screens. I assume when I go in to the Kindle app it will be ok now also (I just have to format a 16gb microSD and put in the Nook Color 1st).

I can't thank you enough!!!!:D

Mar 13, 2012
Ugh! Tried this method too, and I still cannot get the nook to boot into CWR or CWM. I tried the 8 boots thing too, but I don't know if I ever did it right because I have cyanogen mod installed on emmc. Not sure how to repair the partition if I cannot even boot into anything that allows me to flash the zip to the chip. I thought it may be the sd, but the sd cards work on my other nook. I have now basically dissembled my nook color trying to find any other solution I wish I knew what happened in the first place.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Ugh! Tried this method too, and I still cannot get the nook to boot into CWR or CWM. I tried the 8 boots thing too, but I don't know if I ever did it right because I have cyanogen mod installed on emmc. Not sure how to repair the partition if I cannot even boot into anything that allows me to flash the zip to the chip. I thought it may be the sd, but the sd cards work on my other nook. I have now basically dissembled my nook color trying to find any other solution I wish I knew what happened in the first place.
Did you try my version of the CWM bootable SD card? It is on my tips thread and has been modified to boot in certain types of recovery bootloops. Unless you get CWM running you cannot flash things to internal memory. And depending on where in the boot process it hangs, you may not be able to get adb working to put things there either. And the 8 failed boots will not work unless you have stock recovery still on emmc.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2012
Did you try my version of the CWM bootable SD card? It is on my tips thread and has been modified to boot in certain types of recovery bootloops. Unless you get CWM running you cannot flash things to internal memory. And depending on where in the boot process it hangs, you may not be able to get adb working to put things there either. And the 8 failed boots will not work unless you have stock recovery still on emmc.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Yup. Tried the card. I believe I replaced the emmc with cyanogenmod back in the day. Starts, goes to loading, turns black, then done. Cannot do anything after that. Bummer, sounds like it is actually toast.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Yup. Tried the card. I believe I replaced the emmc with cyanogenmod back in the day. Starts, goes to loading, turns black, then done. Cannot do anything after that. Bummer, sounds like it is actually toast.
If you can get adb working while it is sitting there black, you can push the stock recovery files to partition one. Then you may be able to do the 8 failed boots. You can extract the stock recovery files from my zip in my tips thread.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2012
If you can get adb working while it is sitting there black, you can push the stock recovery files to partition one. Then you may be able to do the 8 failed boots. You can extract the stock recovery files from my zip in my tips thread.
Worth a shot. Have nothing more to lose other than time. Maybe adb will work with you card in it. It didn't work with everything else I tried.

les02jen17

Jun 10, 2011
Manila
You've done a great job on collecting all of these useful things, especially for those who are stuck with their Nook Color boot looping. (I was once that guy) Dean helped me out with his data zips as well way back! :) Thanks for all this! :good: :victory:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Much thanks, leapinlar. Restored a nandroid with TWRP that was corrupted and lost my boot partition. I used your first 2 repair zips and I'm back in business. Your many contributions are greatly appreciated.

Mike T

CrackedTech

Mar 30, 2010
St. Charles, MO
OMG! Thank you so much for putting this up! Back at the beginning of the year I was having problems with my NC not going into USB Mode and only showing a black arrow when trying to load books and following this finally fixed it. Great write-up and instructions, thanks for the hard work.

jmiklus01

Nov 16, 2012
I've been trying to restore my NOOK for about 2 weeks and this post has gotten me the farthest but i'm stuck at the point where my nook will start up, the "Read Forever" splash screen will come up and then it attempts to recover the system since i see an greenish Android screen come up for a second and then i get an error screen saying "Install Failed" with an image of a nook with an exclamation point in it's screen. I'm assuming i've really messed the nook up but here is where I am.

I've reformatted the partitions using your 1-4,5,6,7,8 zip
Rebooted to recovery
Formatted partiions 5,6,7,8 with your zip
Flashed your 1.4.3 stock rom

At this point I can't get any further since it appears something else is wrong and i didn't want to attempt the reformatting of partition 2 without asking if there is anything else i should try. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I've been trying to restore my NOOK for about 2 weeks and this post has gotten me the farthest but i'm stuck at the point where my nook will start up, the "Read Forever" splash screen will come up and then it attempts to recover the system since i see an greenish Android screen come up for a second and then i get an error screen saying "Install Failed" with an image of a nook with an exclamation point in it's screen. I'm assuming i've really messed the nook up but here is where I am.

Rebooted to recovery

At this point I can't get any further since it appears something else is wrong and i didn't want to attempt the reformatting of partition 2 without asking if there is anything else i should try. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do the partition 2 repair. That is what is messed up and causing the reboot.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: lynnji

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I've tried the partition2 zip and received an error trying to mount the factory partition. Status 7 was the error code. Is there a way to fix this?
Oh, that is really bad news. That means your partition 3 is corrupted and there is no way to retrieve your device info, like serial number, etc. PM me and maybe I can help you get it partly working, but much of the device info is lost if that partition is truly corrupted.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

big64dave

Oct 14, 2012
Restore NC back to stock

View attachment 1500490
Oh, that is really bad news. That means your partition 3 is corrupted and there is no way to retrieve your device info, like serial number, etc. PM me and maybe I can help you get it partly working, but much of the device info is lost if that partition is truly corrupted.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

I've been trying to restore my daughter NC back to stock for couple months now and no success.
I did flash the P 1-4-5-6-7-8.zip and got this message after reboot:

"CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

during the reboot, there is a menu option to hit "n" for reboot mode option. when i hit "n" it gives me (attachment).
but it won't let me move up or down to select except for the 1st option

Help would be very appreciated

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
View attachment 1500490

I've been trying to restore my daughter NC back to stock for couple months now and no success.
I did flash the P 1-4-5-6-7-8.zip and got this message after reboot:

"CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

during the reboot, there is a menu option to hit "n" for reboot mode option. when i hit "n" it gives me (attachment).
but it won't let me move up or down to select except for the 1st option

Help would be very appreciated

During reboot it should automatically go to CWM because everything else is wiped. The boot menu only lets you make the first choice because that is all that is there, everything else is wiped. You need to continue to use the CWM to flash the format zip next. Then you can flash a ROM. If the CWM that pops up is not working, use the bootable CWM SD.

big64dave

Oct 14, 2012
During reboot it should automatically go to CWM because everything else is wiped. The boot menu only lets you make the first choice because that is all that is there, everything else is wiped. You need to continue to use the CWM to flash the format zip next. Then you can flash a ROM. If the CWM that pops up is not working, use the bootable CWM SD.

Thx for replied, the Nook just stock on loading and it won't let me do anything except for power up and down

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 175

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Several users have complained that they get blank screens and cannot flash new roms to their Nook Color. And sometimes they end up in a recovery bootloop where it will do nothing but boot to recovery no matter what they choose in the boot menu. Sometimes this is due to corrupted partitions on internal memory.

DizzyDen has prepared some .img files that can be burned to emmc to repair some of these issues, and they work well. But some of the files are very large and it takes a little knowledge of adb commands on the part of the users. And some users cannot get adb working on their machines. So I started investigating other solutions, and I have made some tools that work that I hope are user friendly.

Dean Gibson has a thread that describes how to repartition emmc to set the partition sizes for data and media to the user's preference. He repartitions partitions p6 (data), p7 (cache) and p8 (media). In studying his zip, I figured out how to make his tool repair partitions p4 (extended), p5 (system), p6 (data), p7 (cache), and p8 (media). And I was able to add additional commands to also repair partition p1 (boot). I asked Dean's permission to post his tools as modified by me and he agreed. Thanks Dean!

So that takes care of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Partitions 2 and 3 are very special and one must be very careful with them. Partition 2 is 'rom', which holds information that is specific to the user's device (serial number, etc.), and it is used by the system to set flags for deciding whether to boot to recovery or not and set the boot count that is used to decide whether to do a reset to factory conditions (8 failed boots). Partition 3 is 'factory' and holds the factory.zip file used by the 8 failed boot reset (if you want to learn more about the 8 failed boot reset, go to my tips thread linked in my signature). It also holds a backup of the device information in partition 2. So it is possible to repair partition 2 if partition 3 is still intact.

A few users have somehow managed to flash Nook Tablet ROMs to their Nook Colors and really messed up partition 4. (Edit: and now I know how it happened, some idiot recommended that they remove the first line of the updater script. NEVER do that! That line is a safety check to make sure you are flashing to the right device. You can also defeat the safety check by using an old CWM that has the toggle, 'disable asserts'. Never do that either.) And since partition 4 is the extended partition that holds partitions 5, 6, 7, and 8, they get messed up too. To repair those partitions along with partition 1, use CWM recovery to flash the two zips attached below. Be warned that everything in emmc media (p8) will be wiped out, so you may want to back that up first if you still can. The first zip to flash is 'NookColor-emmc-repair-partitions-1-4-5-6-7-8.zip'. It will recreate those partitions on emmc. As soon as you have sucessfully flashed that zip, you must reboot the Nook Color back to CWM so that the updated partition table is read by CWM. Then you need to flash 'NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip' (partitions 1 and 4 do not need formatting). It will format the newly created partitions to the correct structure. Now you can use CWM to restore an earlier nandroid backup or flash your favorite ROM (including stock, get version 1.4.3 that I have modified to be flashable with CWM here, or DizzyDen has posted some excellent 1.4.1 stock ROMs here). If you are going to flash a stock ROM, you must be sure to use the format zip or the stock ROM will not boot properly.

If you are in a recovery bootloop, the first thing I recommend trying is to use my CWM version 5.5.0.4 bootable SD that is discussed in my tips thread linked in my signature and has been modified to help get out of some kinds of recovery flag bootloops. If you are in a recovery bootloop that just hangs, it may get you out of it after exiting my CWM with the 'reboot' command in the menu. But if you are still in the loop after doing that, it may be because your device info is missing or corrupted in partition 2. It will not boot to a ROM without this info. (Specifically, it needs a file in /rom/devconf named DeviceID. It is a text file with your 16 digit serial number in it followed by a line feed, 17 bytes.) Try flashing with CWM my 'NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip' attached to this post to recreate that info. But I recommend this as a last resort, since messing with that partition is risky. That zip will recreate the partition, reset the flags and copy your device specific information from partition 3. But your partition 3 must be intact for this to work. If it is not, the zip will abort and do nothing.

Additionally, for those that do not want to use CWM, I have made a bootable SD that has an older version of TWRP here. Newer versions of TWRP will return an error message when trying to flash these zips. It also has been modified to get you out of some kinds of bootloops.

Two points of information. First, I have included a temporary copy of CWM 5.5.0.4 on the boot partition of my repair so that if tries to reboot to emmc before you put a ROM on it, it goes to CWM. It will be removed as soon as you restore a backup or flash a ROM. Second, the new partition scheme created with my zip is for the original Nook Color's 1GB data and 5GB media. If you want one of the other schemes (5GB data/1GB media or 2GB data/4GB media) go to Dean Gibson's thread and flash his zips after you have repaired your system with mine. See his thread here.

I'm adding a little extra information about emmc partition structure for those interested. With any MBR disk there can be a maximum of four primary partitions. So to have more than four partitions the last primary partition is created as an extended partition so multiple logical partitions can be made inside it. The emmc structure is: p1 (boot, fat, primary), p2 (rom, fat, primary), p3 (factory, ext3, primary), p4 (extended, going from end of p3 to end of the disk), p5 (system, ext2, logical, inside the extended), p6 (data, ext3, logical, inside the extended), p7 (cache, ext3, logical, inside the extended) and p8 (media, fat, logical, inside the extended).
    I tried using your 145678.zip and it changed my CWm from 3.2.01 to 5.5.0.4. It no longer reads my sd card. I reformatted the card and it still won't read it. What do I do now?

What do you mean, it does not read it? You mean it will not let you choose a zip from the sd so that you can flash something, or do you mean your cwm card no longer works. If you mean it won't see the card to flash a zip, you may have to make a bootable cwm sd. With the new 5504 on internal memory, you cannot put the card in after boot. It has to be there when you boot.

Sent from my HD+ rooted stock using Tapatalk
    Count me as another for whom this has been a lifesaver. I've had a mis-mash of NCs to fix around here (hardware mostly) but two had me stumped - one was stuck on "Read Forever" if I tried to boot from EMMC, but worked fine with CMx on MicroSD. The other would boot to welcome screen, but would not recognize touch. I could force a reload, but always same result. It also would boot fine from MicroSD (and recognize touch). After weeks of poking around, I found this thread, and the first post had both fixed within a couple of hours. Thank you so much!

Rebooted to recovery

Thanks
    Do the partition 2 repair. That is what is messed up and causing the reboot.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
    mm.. ok, after i pushed your repartitions files on /tmp from twrp 2.1.8-bootableSD and install i have restored partition table but with error in recovery: can't mount /sdcard.. after that i'm flashed nook-complete-restore1.0.1 from directory /emmc, because after flashing another zips with 1.4... nook show me the "install failed" all time.. and
    ..when i turn on nook with firmware 1.0.1.. and go to the Factory - menu shows me this:
    Serial number MISSING
    SW Version 1.0.1
    Model number MISSING
    Battery level 97%
    Mac adress MISSING
    Build number ERD79
    Date manufactured MISSING
    Event type MISSING
    Device attribute MISSING
    EAN MISSING
    Backlight MISSING
    Hash private key MISSING
    Public key MISSING

i try to install zips to repair partition 2 but recovery show error like this:
    -- Installing: /emmc/Myfiles/clockworkmod/NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Installing update...
    Repair /rom partition (P2)
    Checking for /factory - if not found will return error message and repair will be aborted.
    assertfailed: mount("ext2", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3", "/factory") == "/factory"
    E:Error in /emmc/My Files/clockworkmod/NookColor-emmc-repair-partition-2.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

can you may any ideas to repair nook for flashing CM? and how to repair mounting sdcard in recovery and system.. :confused: thank's

This all because your partitions 2 and 3 were wiped out. My zips recreated them but the information in them is missing. If you send me your serial number by private message I will create a custom repair zip that will allow you to run CM but stock is forever not possible.

Sent from my SM-T707V using XDA Premium HD app