[Q] Did I ruin my Nexus 5 battery?

Search This thread

Danz207

May 13, 2012
Melbourne
Hey guys,

Okay, so I received my shiny new Nexus 5 white yesterday after realizing that I hate my iPhone 5S, first thing I did was try out my nano to micro SIM card adaptor but it wouldn't fit, so I tried the adapter on its own, big mistake.
Anyway, 15 minutes (and some super glue) later, I got it out but inadvertently turned the phone on while wrestling the SIM card tray.
I turn it off as soon as I get to set up, place my SIM card in, charger in, phone on, set it up and away we go.

Straight away it starts downloading apps that I havent used since my last android phone (2.3.5 Froyo?). So I cancel those, install some apps that I'll actually use (no more than 10-15), go through some settings, blast my music at full volume against my iPhone (for obvious reasons) and that's pretty much it.

Now here's the problem, all this time the charger is still plugged in (to a 5W charger, not LG one) with the battery alternating between 80% and 81%, ultimately settling on 80%. I'm not normally one to use my device while it's charging, but I fear that I may have (ever so slightly) damaged by battery?

I just wanted a second (or third or fourth) opinion on this. Found a dead pixel on my display so I could exchange it?
Did a test overnight with my iPhone both charged at 100%, a little over 8 hours later N5 dropped to 94% and iPhone at 97-98%.
I do realize that the Nexus 5 has a SIM card in it and is fighting to keep its first bar, but am I overreacting (I have a tendency to do that :rolleyes:)?

So what I'm asking is did using it while it was trying to complete its first charge (on a 5W Apple charger) damage the battery? Or lessen its capacity in any way? I'm not getting that camera issue BTW (camera-demon?).

Thanks
Danz207

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
The charger did not damage your device. It'll only pull as much current as it needs and doesn't care how much current your charger is capable of putting out

Sent from my Nexus 5

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
In this case, it was an under powered charger which could leave the battery thirsty. I use one all the time and it drops from 100-99 much sooner than if charged with stock or higher capacity one. However, not damage caused at all. My discharges 2% overnight after some settings. Use stock charger.
Dead pixel qualifies for RMA btw, but not a big deal.

duckied

Apr 5, 2010
Chi-Town
Yes if you have a dead pixel ask for an rma. Why not you pay for it and if it has imperfections then you deserved another one. Enjoy it, and freedom that comes with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Danz207

May 13, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for all your replies,

It's not really a dead pixel per se, it's more of a tiny spec of dust under the screen, I have an identical one on my iPad mini in the exact spot so it doesn't bother me (especially with both of the resolutions).
I'll be charging this phone with a 10-15 watt charger. I just want to be sure that the battery hasn't been damaged in any way.

Thanks,
Danz207