stolen devices

Search This thread

grandioso

Sep 4, 2010
grandioso.org
I just discovered a too-good-to-be-true (second hand ofc) offer on a Galaxy Nexus and I have a feeling it might be stolen (it comes without the box).

Is there any way for me to find out if it was stolen ?
I know there are a lot of apps that can track a device and I wanna make sure that they won't come after me if I buy it :D

kennypow3rs

Aug 31, 2011
Houston
Ask for the serial number or imei and call whatever provider the phone is linked with to verify if it was reported stolen or black listed. If it's linked to someone's account they will tell you...

TooSlo

Feb 20, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm not sure what nation you're in, but if it's the US, you can call the police with the serial number and see if it's been reported stolen.

Hopefully you're just getting an awesome deal though!

adone.h

Dec 26, 2009
In any case if you reset the phone any software for trace will be deleted.
The real problem is another, if the old owner remembers the imei code he can block the phone, but if it is so I think the phone now should be already lock.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Just tell the seller that you are going to check wherever its stolen or not as a precaution as you bought a stolen phone before. If he says go ahead, then still do it, but you are 99% all clear, if he legs it, well, you won't have to bother checking it :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium