[Q] xperia z1 annoying software keys!!!

Search This thread

nijear

Nov 1, 2012
hi
I just wondered can you possibly hide xperia z1 soft key in games without any alternative apps!!
just like the lg g2's hide front touch buttons?? it just simply hide your soft keys and when you want it to appear you just need to swipe up..!!!!
it's in the system, I saw GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys ★ root but it has a LOT of options and that kind of stuff, I just need my soft keys to hide while playing games, or anything like that...!!!

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Not all Games for Z1 Support Immersive Mode. The only way which you have is to install XposedFramework and Immersive Mode Module. There is no way to do it without Root and Alternative App or Module.

kentexcitebot

Mar 30, 2014
Moorpark
hi
I just wondered can you possibly hide xperia z1 soft key in games without any alternative apps!!
just like the lg g2's hide front touch buttons?? it just simply hide your soft keys and when you want it to appear you just need to swipe up..!!!!
it's in the system, I saw GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys ★ root but it has a LOT of options and that kind of stuff, I just need my soft keys to hide while playing games, or anything like that...!!!

Of all honesty I find keeping the soft keys makes things more productive. If you want to go back on a game, you don't have to swipe up all the time to go back. It's especially less productive for a workspace. If you really want it though, just install the xposed module he said to download.

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
"Immersive" mode is really disappointing on these stock Kitkat 4.4 ROMs. On the Xperia SPs in our family, running JB 4.2, it is possible to remove the soft keys AND gain back the screen space that they take up, as the dock is moved down to the bottom of the screen where the soft keys used to be. But on the Z1's stock 4.4 ROM even when the soft keys are removed the screen space is still wasted because the the dock stays in the same place. I assume this is something to do the with google's 4.4 base files as the CM11 we have installed on a tablet and a phone has a much better implementation of full screen. Such a shame.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
"Immersive" mode is really disappointing on these stock Kitkat 4.4 ROMs. On the Xperia SPs in our family, running JB 4.2, it is possible to remove the soft keys AND gain back the screen space that they take up, as the dock is moved down to the bottom of the screen where the soft keys used to be. But on the Z1's stock 4.4 ROM even when the soft keys are removed the screen space is still wasted because the the dock stays in the same place. I assume this is something to do the with google's 4.4 base files as the CM11 we have installed on a tablet and a phone has a much better implementation of full screen. Such a shame.

The problem is also the Resolution used in Games. That's why of this wasted space.

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
The problem is also the Resolution used in Games. That's why of this wasted space.

Sure, designing games to work on Android devices of so many different resolutions will always be complex for game devs but I wasn't specifically referring to how immersive mode affects games. I was trying to point out that with successive versions, Google is pushing Android development, in a number of ways, down paths that actually remove stuff that functions really well. "Expanded Desktop", as it was called in JB 4.2, worked far more logically (i.e. the screen space was "recovered" when soft keys were removed) but with "Immersive Mode", as it is called in KK 4.4, seems to be far more stoopid and just leaves a blank space at the bottom of the screen when soft keys are removed. Mainly I am referring to homescreens but also inside apps.

Reactions: eclyptos

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
I'm using gravitybox to hide the softkeys forever and the LMT launcher to use the softkeys without wasting space. That's just like PIE, but all you need is root. You should give it a try. That's how it looks like.
na4ubyba.jpg

Way better. The entire screen is for you. :)

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Sure, designing games to work on Android devices of so many different resolutions will always be complex for game devs but I wasn't specifically referring to how immersive mode affects games. I was trying to point out that with successive versions, Google is pushing Android development, in a number of ways, down paths that actually remove stuff that functions really well. "Expanded Desktop", as it was called in JB 4.2, worked far more logically (i.e. the screen space was "recovered" when soft keys were removed) but with "Immersive Mode", as it is called in KK 4.4, seems to be far more stoopid and just leaves a blank space at the bottom of the screen when soft keys are removed. Mainly I am referring to homescreens but also inside apps.

True.

I'm using gravitybox to hide the softkeys forever and the LMT launcher to use the softkeys without wasting space. That's just like PIE, but all you need is root. You should give it a try. That's how it looks like.
na4ubyba.jpg

Cool. This is something what I will try for sure. :p

sruba209

Nov 24, 2012
bangalore
na4ubyba.jpg

R u shwing phone temp on status bar ?? How ??

Sent from my C6902

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011

Wow, thanks. That looks great but you are going to have to be more specific as to how I gain back the screen space. I have enabled expanded desktop in gravity box but it has about 7 options, immersive, semi-immersive, immersive status bar, immersive navigation bar etc. Tried the "hide navigation bar" option but it doesn't gain back any screen space, like immersive mode, it just removes the navigation bar with no other effect.

It would save us time, battery and about 5 reboots, if you could give us a clue as to which option to choose.

Fiso

Dec 21, 2013
hi

Get xposed then GravityBox (GB) module
In GB go to "display tweaks" then enable "Expanded desktop mode"
Go back to GB main menu then go to "Navigation keys actions" and set one of the soft keys to enable expanded desktop when you double tap or press and hold it.

For me i set recent key to expanded desktop when I press and hold it.

yup owns Z1 and stuff. Also if I've helped you don't forget to hit THANKS - actions speak louder that words.

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
Remove the navigation bar then and use LMT instead of using the navbar.

Thanks, I know about LMT launcher, I love LMT launcher. I have been using it on every phone I have owned since 2011. I added it to both my mums and dads phone as well. I have tried the first option in GravityBox to remove the navigation bar ("hide navigation bar") in the display options for expanded desktop but it just leaves a blank space at the bottom of the screen. Thanks for the heads up on GravityBox, when I get some time and a fully charged battery, I will see if I can make my homescreen look like your screenshot.

Last edited:

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Thanks, I know about LMT launcher, I love LMT launcher. I have been using it on every phone I have owned since 2011. I added it to both my mums and dads phone as well. I have tried the first option in GravityBox to remove the navigation bar ("hide navigation bar") in the display options for expanded desktop but it just leaves a blank space at the bottom of the screen. Thanks for the heads up on GravityBox, when I get some time and a fully charged battery, I will see if I can make my homescreen look like your screenshot.

That's the only issue with this. You can't do anything about the stock home screen unless you mod it. I got used to it. At last you get everything else on full screen :)
Everything's fine on other launchers, but you can't use Sony widgets :p

Reactions: gandalf_grey91

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011
That's the only issue with this. You can't do anything about the stock home screen unless you mod it. I got used to it. At last you get everything else on full screen :)

Nice one, you've got it. I never thought of that. It is the Z1 launcher that is not allowing to gain back the space will in expanded desktop mode.
Tried the modded advanced xperia z launcher but it just force closes constantly so am using Nova launcher for the moment. But as you pointed out I lose all the Sony apps. Know of any other modded/advanced sony launchers I can try that would give me the extra screen space and not FC?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

na4ubyba.jpg

Remove the navigation bar then and use LMT instead of using the navbar.