Successfully rooted without tripping knox!!!!

Search This thread

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Last edited:

snir2

Aug 27, 2012

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 9,800
Reactions: DaveGIGGITYGOO

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Can I ask a huge favor? Can you write a simple list of steps you did. That thread is chaos from people who have 10 different devices. Like a simple

1. step a
2. step b

I don't want to screw up the device I just bought yesterday lol.

sure,

1. downloaded the file from towelroot.com
2. installed the apk file
3. Run the app
4. the device rebooted
5. installed supersu from the play store

done....:)

Last edited:

Gatsrom

Oct 5, 2010
sure,

3. the device rebooted
4. installed supersu from the play store

Wow, Ok I thought there would be more haha. You said you were on a sm-p905, I wonder if this will go as smooth on an sm-p900. I'm on the wifi not lte version. Any guess?

Thanks for summarizing that though.

edit: seeing mixed results related to the Exynos chips from people's s4s and s5s. hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: AduR

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
just wanted to let u know that I successfully rooted my sm-p905 with geohot's rooting method without tripping knox!!!

its just a simple apk installation procedure....!!!

I bet all the TNT/ V guys will be happy to hear that...... :)

have fun!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=206285968

Can you please tell more details about your SM-P905

AP, CP, CSC (These can be found at least on SM-P905 by opening dialer, then type *#1234#)
Kernel version (Settings - General - About device)

And for any else of you, if you try this method, report please how did it go, did you got root? did it trip KNOX flag and what firmware version you were using, thanks :)

Last edited:

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Wow, Ok I thought there would be more haha. You said you were on a sm-p905, I wonder if this will go as smooth on an sm-p900. I'm on the wifi not lte version. Any guess?

Thanks for summarizing that though.

edit: seeing mixed results related to the Exynos chips from people's s4s and s5s. hmm.

anyway from what i have read so far there is no harm in trying...... In the worst case scenario it will not work.... :)

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Can you please tell more details about your SM-P905

AP, CP, CSC (These can be found at least on SM-P905 by opening dialer, then type *#1234#)
Kernel version (Settings - General - About device)

And for any else of you, if you try this method, report please how did it go, did you got root? did it trip KNOX flag and what firmware version you were using, thanks :)

here

Attachments

• 2014-06-16-12-46-18.png
    2014-06-16-12-46-18.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,537
  • 2014-06-16-12-49-48.png
    2014-06-16-12-49-48.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,420
Reactions: Spere

Spere

Aug 7, 2013

Thank you..

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and tried this on my SM-P905, it kinda worked.. I'll post my device info later since I didn't have time for that, had to go to work just after rooting..

SM-P905
AP: P905XXUAND1
CP: P905XXUANA7
CSC: P905NEEAND1

Kernel verison: 3.4.0-1131235 (April 3 2014)

Okay then..
I installed and ran tr.apk
Then after reboot I checked recovery
KNOX Warranty Void: 0x0
System status: custom

Then I installed SuperSU (v1.94 if I remember right) from play store (and paid version also)

When I open SuperSU, it asks me to install binary. Since I got stock recovery, I can't use that option and instead choose normal way.
SuperSU says: install failed, please reboot your device

Anyway my device is rooted since Greenify and couple other root apps worked (and SuperSU asked to grand or deny access for those apps)

But because I cannot install that binary, I cannot open SuperSU to change settings etc..

There is v1.99r4(?) of SuperSU, but that is flashable .zip file, and how I'm supposed to install that with stock recovery. And I'm sceptic about flashing anything, in case of triggering KNOX.

Okay, as #snir2 said, I downloaded SuperSU from HERE (was v1.99r5). I unzip that and took Superuser.apk from there and installed it on my NP 12.2. After that SU updated binary using normal method like it should and everythings ok :p

And after all this odin mode still shows this:
System Status: Custom

Will do some tests tomorrow and if there comes anything interesting, I'll post some info..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Thank you..

When I open SuperSU, it asks me to install binary. Since I got stock recovery, I can't use that option and instead choose normal way.

But anyway my device is rooted since Greenify and couple other root apps worked (and SuperSU asked to grand or deny access for those apps)

But because I cannot install that binary, I cannot open SuperSU to change settings etc..

There is v1.99r4(?) of SuperSU, but that is flashable .zip file, and how I'm supposed to install that with stock recovery. And I'm sceptic about flashing anything, in case of triggering KNOX.

JUST OPEN THE Zip.
U will find the apk file inside...

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
I have the international SM P905 this method did not work. Tried it twice

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

did u check with "root checker"?

at first the binaries weren't installed for me, but, when checking with "root checker" I did have root.

the supersu in the play store is not the last version of the app... u need to download it from chainfire's site:

download.chainfire.eu/supersu

then it will install the binaries

snir2

Aug 27, 2012
Thank you..

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and tried this on my SM-P905, it kinda worked.. I'll post my device info later since I didn't have time for that, had to go to work just after rooting..

SM-P905
AP: P905XXUAND1
CP: P905XXUANA7
CSC: P905NEEAND1

Kernel verison: 3.4.0-1131235 (April 3 2014)

Okay then..
I installed and ran tr.apk
Then after reboot I checked recovery
System status: custom

Then I installed SuperSU (v1.94 if I remember right) from play store (and paid version also)

Anyway my device is rooted since Greenify and couple other root apps worked (and SuperSU asked to grand or deny access for those apps)

Okay, as #snir2 said, I downloaded SuperSU from HERE (was v1.99r5). I unzip that and took Superuser.apk from there and installed it on my NP 12.2. After that SU updated binary using normal method like it should and everythings ok :p

And after all this odin mode still shows this:
System Status: Custom

Will do some tests tomorrow and if there comes anything interesting, I'll post some info..

mine says: "System Status: official"

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
mine says: "System Status: official"

I'm not worried about custom status because if I'm right:
- I cannot accidentally update phone since OTA is not possible with custom status
- I can fake status back to official using Wanam Xposed
- I can get status back also by flashing stock rom again, if I need to

ansonscleung

Dec 13, 2011
Hong Kong
Samsung Galaxy S21
I have the international SM P905 this method did not work. Tried it twice

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk
For those who can't root for P905 (LTE version), I have found a solution.

1. Update the kernel to NC1 or newer through Download Mode
(like this one at the bottom of OP)

2. Root with towelroot. This time if you see those wordings after pressing "Make it ra1n", it works!

I have P905ZSUANB1/P905XXUANA7/P905OZSANB1 on my tablet and after I update the kernel to NC1, I got it rooted! YAY!

BTW I get "System status: Official" in both Download Mode and under Settings, and also 0x0 for the f**king KNOX thing

Reactions: d31i

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just wanted to let u know that I successfully rooted my sm-p905 with geohot's rooting method without tripping knox!!!

have fun!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=206285968
    No, I mean what is security update apk?

Samsung has a program running on most of its devices that pushes "Security Updates" onto the device. In the past week or so, Samsung has been patching its phones and tablets, including Pro 12.2 tablets, to close the hole that towelroot uses. If you make the mistake of accepting this security update you will never be able to use towelroot to root your tablet (well, there is a slight chance that you can still play a trick and do it but for all practical purposes let's say it is impossible).

So here is my suggestion for people who want to root their tablet pro or are planning to do so in future:

1- If you have not rooted your tablet yet:
    A) Go to settings -> general -> security -> Security ploicy updates and disable automatic updates.
    B) Go to settings -> About device -> software update -> and turn Auto update off
    Be careful not to accidentally hit Manual Check for Updates when you are in those menus

2- If you are already rooted, it doesn't mean that Samsung is gonna stop trying to patch your device. In fact cases have been reported where the security update has reversed the root and blocked it permanently. So in addition to the above you should do one of the following:
    A) Install Titanium Backup Pro
    B) Go to Backup/Restore and find: Security Policy Updates SPD
    C) Click on it and hit freeze
    OR
    A) Install Titanium Backup
    B) Go to Backup/Restore and find: Security Policy Updates SPD
    C) Click on it and hit backup
    D) after a backup is made, click on it again and hit Un-install.
    OR
    Use an advanced file manager, go to /system/priv-app and rename the following files:
    SDPClient.apk --> _SDPClient.apk.backup
    SDPClient.odex --> _SDPClient.odex.backup

--------------------------------------------------------------

Although it may not be necessary, If you are paranoid like me, I suggest that after rooting you do the above also for:
    Samsung Push Service (/system/priv-app/SPPPushClient_Prod.apk)
    LocalFOTA (/system/app/LocalFOTA.apk)
    FWUpgrade (/system/app/FWUpgrade.apk and odex)
    Software Update (/system/priv-app/FotaClient.apk and odex, and SyncmlDM.apk and odex)
    Can I ask a huge favor? Can you write a simple list of steps you did. That thread is chaos from people who have 10 different devices. Like a simple

1. step a
    2. step b

I don't want to screw up the device I just bought yesterday lol.

sure,

3. Run the app
    4. the device rebooted
    5. installed supersu from the play store

have fun!!

A PHOTO
    I am planning on getting the note pro 12.2 WiFi will this method still work w/o tripping knox?