[Q] No Speed Improvements with CROMI 5

Search This thread
Feb 7, 2014
i have been using my tablet for studying and lately, it has been very laggy to the point of being unbearable!

i have no technical experience about the subject matter but decided to go ahead and try to unlock, root and install a ROM. the goal of which was to improve the tablet's responsiveness and usability. i was very positive upon learning about the DATA2SD mod.

i followed the instructions found on this page: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2425383 (CROMi-X 5.3a)

the tablet boots and runs, but when i ran tests (AndroBench), the Random Write Speeds were mere 0.2mb/s.. yet the SD mod seems to be in effect! as such, i could even access sdcard0 and sdcardi in file explorerers.

i mounted the sd card, class 10 Sandisk, onto my phone and ran a test using A1 SD Bench.. the results showed 8.1- 11.1 mb/s write speeds..

what did i do wrong? i have been very stressed by this entire process.. i was doing things i have never done before, and worst, i knew very little about what i was doing.

someone pls help me!

Edit.. heres a pic showing info about my storage..
i partition the 32GB card into: Fat32 5GB and EXT4 25GB
kgzm.jpg

Last edited:

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
i have been using my tablet for studying and lately, it has been very laggy to the point of being unbearable!

i have no technical experience about the subject matter but decided to go ahead and try to unlock, root and install a ROM. the goal of which was to improve the tablet's responsiveness and usability. i was very positive upon learning about the DATA2SD mod.

i followed the instructions found on this page: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2425383 (CROMi-X 5.3a)

the tablet boots and runs, but when i ran tests (AndroBench), the Random Write Speeds were mere 0.2mb/s.. yet the SD mod seems to be in effect! as such, i could even access sdcard0 and sdcardi in file explorerers.

i mounted the sd card, class 10 Sandisk, onto my phone and ran a test using A1 SD Bench.. the results showed 8.1mb/s write speeds..

what did i do wrong? i have been very stressed by this entire process.. i was doing things i have never done before, and worst, i knew very little about what i was doing.

someone pls help me!

You must have done something wrong as you should have noticed a difference.

Did you go straight to data2sd? Which kernel and options did you choose? Clean wipe or dirty flash on top of stock? Did you choose all the apps or do a lighter install?

Reactions: technocephalgia

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
the tablet boots and runs, but when i ran tests (AndroBench), the Random Write Speeds were mere 0.2mb/s..
i mounted the sd card, class 10 Sandisk, onto my phone and ran a test using A1 SD Bench.. the results showed 8.1mb/s write speeds..

what did i do wrong?

You are comparing the results of two different benchmarks?

Feb 7, 2014

Did you go straight to data2sd? Which kernel and options did you choose? Clean wipe or dirty flash on top of stock? Did you choose all the apps or do a lighter install?

i was previously on cromi 3.2.. rebooted.. then flashed the data2sd.. but that didnt work so i did more reading and finally, i found your signature on the forum. clicked on the tf700 option and tada! i found cromi 5.3! and it had built in data2sd! i was ecstatic! great thanks by the way! :)

i booted in recovery and performed a factory reset, then,
since i was using twrp 2.4, i flashed the suggested bootloader with the latest twrp (WW series), then rebooted, then went into recovery.
installed cromi 5.3 with the following selections
  • _that os (first option) , data2sd enabled
  • 240 dp
  • cromi xlite + stock launcher
  • default options for stock apps
  • default options for misc apps
  • music fx
  • added polaris, titanium back-up, emulator, LMT (i was very found of the pie controls)
rebooted, then went into recovery to install the 5.3a patch..

the tablet boots, runs, i even have the sea wallpaper now.. but the random write speed is still the same as before.. still 0.2mb/s

super thanks sdbags for replying!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014

the tablet has very poor write speeds (or so i read).. its original speed would 0.2mb/s.. i read that by using Androbench i would be able to verify if data2sd speed enhancement is in effect.

i posted the sd card write speed to clarify that i am indeed using a class 10 sd card..

or am i using them wrong? i dont really have enough know-how about this, i have just been reading and rereading guides.. i just started.. i dont know why things go wrong, or how to troubleshoot them..

EDIT:
so i transferred the sd card unto my phone, ran Androbench and choose the micro option, results for random write was 1mb/s..
if it matters, my phone is a SGS4 Snapdragon variant

Last edited:

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
the tablet has very poor write speeds (or so i read).. its original speed would 0.2mb/s.. i read that by using Androbench i would be able to verify if data2sd speed enhancement is in effect.

i posted the sd card write speed to clarify that i am indeed using a class 10 sd card..

or am i using them wrong? i dont really have enough know-how about this, i have just been reading and rereading guides.. i just started.. i dont know why things go wrong, or how to troubleshoot them..

EDIT:
so i transferred the sd card unto my phone, ran Androbench and choose the micro option, results for random write was 1mb/s..
if it matters, my phone is a SGS4 Snapdragon variant

You may not have data2sd running. Did you format the card in GParted first form a linux distro as is required?

Feb 7, 2014
You may not have data2sd running. Did you format the card in GParted first form a linux distro as is required?

yes i did.. it was a very intense experience! i booted from a usb then partitioned my sd card in Gparted..

i was sorta desperate, i flashed mount_data2sd.zip just now, like 5mins earlier. if it matters, i took a screenshot of my storage..
but i cant link it cause im a new member, instead i edited my questioned and added it there..
ran Androbench, got 0.18mb/s :(

Last edited:

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
yes i did.. it was a very intense experience! i booted from a usb then partitioned my sd card in Gparted..

i was sorta desperate, i flashed mount_data2sd.zip. if it matters, i took a screenshot of my storage..
but i cant link it cause im a new member, instead i edited my questioned and added it there..

The sandisk is it an ultra uhs-1 class 10? Did you do a clean install? You don't need to use the mount zip for installing the ROM - that is only for TWRP operations. The rom installer should figure it out for you.

Feb 7, 2014
The sandisk is it an ultra uhs-1 class 10? Did you do a clean install? You don't need to use the mount zip for installing the ROM - that is only for TWRP operations. The rom installer should figure it out for you.

hmm.. it says SDHC.. could it be that i have the wrong type of sd card? if so, then thats great news! maybe if i change my sd card, ill have better results? at this point, i would really rather prefer a physical problem than technical ones..

i always did a factory reset if thats what clean install means..

i'm beginning to conclude that the sd card is the main problem here..I really do hope changing to another SD card will solve it.. super thanks sir for your time and knowledge!!!

sorry for the wait.. i had to weait for 5mins, got distracted while waiting for the time limit to expire

Last edited:

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
SDHC should be OK (must be 32GB or lower?)

I just ran AndroBench on my internal SD Card with fsync disabled - I'll run it on my Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 64GB SDXC in a minute

Internal SD Card /data
V0XNUbg.jpg

External SD Card /data (ROM2SD/DATA2SD)
K8Eifsa.jpg

As you can see they are approx the same as the external data setup gives the same benefits as internal + fsync without the dangers of disabling fsync.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
SDHC should be OK (must be 32GB or lower?)

I just ran AndroBench on my internal SD Card with fsync disabled - I'll run it on my Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 64GB SDXC in a minute

As you can see they are approx the same as the external data setup gives the same benefits as internal + fsync without the dangers of disabling fsync.

its a 32GB card sir..

as for the external data setup vs internal.. i dont seem to comprehend.. does external mean the DATA2SD mod? im really sorry, but much of the terms are very new to me..

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
its a 32GB card sir..

as for the external data setup vs internal.. i dont seem to comprehend.. does external mean the DATA2SD mod? im really sorry, but much of the terms are very new to me..

If you are using data2sd or rom2sd then /data is on your external sd card.

Run the same test as me what do you get?

Feb 7, 2014

would a reinstall possibly fix this?

how I plan to reinstall..
reboot to recovery, advance wipe everything (same options, will not do anything about fsync)
then reinstall cromi 5.3, go back to home
then flash 5.3a patch, then reboot

would that be okay? i am scared to brick my device.. or how should i go about it? i have copied my files to my computer and do not have many apps, i use my tablet solely really for studying.. so a total wipeout really wont bother me..

Last edited:

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro

reboot to recovery, advance wipe everything (same options, will not do anything about fsync)

would that be okay? i am scared to brick my device.. or how should i go about it? i have copied my files to my computer and do not have many apps, i use my tablet solely really for studying.. so a total wipeout really wont bother me..

BTW I tried the benchmarks without fsync disabled and got very similar to yours so it looks like the card controller is rubbish on the transformer as well. But the rom should feel zippy even so.

If you want to wipe your data2sd partition you'll need to run the mount zip first.

Why don't you just try a nice clean install on internal first - let's get that up and running.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
BTW I tried the benchmarks without fsync disabled and got very similar to yours so it looks like the card controller is rubbish on the transformer as well. But the rom should feel zippy even so.

If you want to wipe your data2sd partition you'll need to run the mount zip first.

Why don't you just try a nice clean install on internal first - let's get that up and running.

heres what i did..
factory reset, then wipe internal.. then flash mount zip, delete internal (just to make sure)
then flash cromi-x 5.3, home, flash 5.3a patch then reboot (this time i disabled fsync)

the tablet booted, runs

i did perform any backups but i still have androbench and google drive(i used it to transfer the screenshots)? isnt it suppose to be gone? even my pie shorcuts are still here..

i ran the test again, here are the results (even the screenshot shortcut settings remained the same, shouldnt it have been affected by the reset as well?

anyway, the numbers showed big imporvements on write speeds!
652k.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
I would like to thank you alot sir! I simply cannot afford a new tablet. Your work has breathed new life to my. More power to you sir!

As a matter of fact, I am tying this from my tablet! There isn't a thanks button in sight though.. I will hit thanks as soon as I get on the computer! Currently slaving away in the library..

Last edited:
Reactions: sbdags

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

someone pls help me!

the tablet boots and runs, but when i ran tests (AndroBench), the Random Write Speeds were mere 0.2mb/s..

what did i do wrong?

i was sorta desperate, i flashed mount_data2sd.zip. if it matters, i took a screenshot of my storage..

its a 32GB card sir..