Zagg invisibleshield inital review

Search This thread

shohid1234

Oct 30, 2009
London
mobiletechblogger.co.uk
Just applied the invisibleshield and im not too impressed.

First, the front and more so the back covers are too small and the corners of the phone is not covered. Second, the home key cover and camera lens cover are too big, so I avoided the home button cover and stuck the camera lens on by taking off the back cover. Third and finally the tacky feel means its a fingerprint and oil magnet, as I have sweaty hands this is especially annoying.

On the plus side it was relatively easy to put on and remove the bubbles.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
sounds like you got the Full Body "Easy Install" version the Full Body "Maximum protection" version would have covered the corners, and have extended wings that goes up the sides.

same here i've a oily face / fingers, Zagg will not work for me as i've posted on other topic, I'll prefer the regular 3M PET screen protectors + a Gel case instead

shohid1234

Oct 30, 2009
London
mobiletechblogger.co.uk
Does it make the phone any less slippy to hold?

Yep definately, it has a good grippy feel and the orange peel effect is reducing :D. Now that ive had it on a few days im warming up to it surprisingly. The best thing is that it adds little thickness and I can just plop it on surfaces without worrying about scratches.

Overall i quite happy with it, I just wished I got the full body sh*t.

j_h3000

Jun 26, 2009
would u mind to put some pics ???
i've been looking all around to see some pics of zagg installed on galaxy s but no luck !!!

ghosty_uk

Jun 3, 2008
i had the invisi shield on my touch hd, so the first thing i did when i got home from getting my shiny new SGS was to order one, still not arrived and thats with 2-3 day delivery. i did the right thing and ordered the full cover as it was the same price as the easy install version, i will post pics when i have recieved it and have it done.

as for gel cases i have one of them on order also as it has done a wonderfull job of protecting my touch hd (till i drove over it)

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
i gave up on the zagg, samsung is release nice fashion faceplates for the SGS

and i'm already using those nice gel cases + screen protector, that's more than enough protection for the phone.

out of the box, the phone is already super strong, and anti scratch, did you see the video?

it will only break the screen if you drop it from a 1.5 m high

shohid1234

Oct 30, 2009
London
mobiletechblogger.co.uk
it may be anti scratch but ive scratched the proximity sensor area already :mad: so hopefully the shield will stop other scratches. I would use a gel cover but the shield really doesnt add anything to the thickness, while the cover would.

I get some pics up as soon as I can get hold of a camera.

Ollie2

Jan 11, 2009
Yep definately, it has a good grippy feel and the orange peel effect is reducing :D. Now that ive had it on a few days im warming up to it surprisingly. The best thing is that it adds little thickness and I can just plop it on surfaces without worrying about scratches.

Overall i quite happy with it, I just wished I got the full body sh*t.

Thanks for the reply.

I've actually bought a silicone case and a screen protector for it and it's made it much more manageable and easier to hold and saved the phone when I dropped it the other day.

WiseDuck

Aug 7, 2009
I installed an invisibleShield as soon as the phone arrived. It's a pain in the ass to install as usual, and I was not able to make the top two corners look good. They've already started to peel off but I guess it's going to take a while before the back has to be replaced so I'm not going to worry about it.

Is it worth it? I'd say yes, even after a year you'll still have a phone that looks brand new. Now, the edges around the phone will probably get a couple of scratches because unlike the shield for the iPhone this one does not cover the chrome/metal/whatever bezel. Not a big deal if you ask me.

So, touch sensitivity? It's good. It's just as sensitive with the shield as without. Your fingers won't glide as well across the surface tho. One more thing which you'll see in the pictures; Dust usually collects around the edges of the shield, there is not much you can do about that. Trust me, the dust looks much worse in a picture than it does irl. You can barely see it.

Pictures:

Front:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/999968/Automator Dropbox/IMG_0003.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/999968/Automator Dropbox/IMG_0004.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/999968/Automator Dropbox/IMG_0005.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/999968/Automator Dropbox/IMG_0006.JPG

Back:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/999968/Automator Dropbox/IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:

patchirl

Jul 16, 2010
I ordered the full body shield as it was half price.
I just used cheap 6 for 1 ebay screen protector as this one has too much of a grip.
As for the back, as said above the top corners just will not fit completely and lift just a tiny bit at the tips.
Getting tiny bubble out results in the orange peel effect. This is because the shield is slightly rubbery and streches as you force out the bubbles.
IMO the shield protects very well, but I cant imagine ever getting the 'perfect' look with it on.
Its far from invisible, due to slight orange peel, minute bubbles which will only turn into more orange peel should I try to force them out.
If I ever buy one again, it will have graphics on it(they have those for iphone etc, perhaps the sgs is too new..) as then the slight imperfections would be less obvious.
Id rate the item 6/10. It doesn't protect the bezel or extreme corners and doesn't look great where it does protect.

MagicOnline

Jul 22, 2010
thx for the pics. i got the same edge problems on my old iphone too. the zagg shield is ordered, i should get it next week.

eeney

Jul 4, 2010
Sydney
For the back I think the Zagg sheild is brilliant, almost full cover and invisible, with no extra bulk, and a little bit more grip.

For the front, I probably prefer a normal screen protector. My wife has a $1 screen protector from flea-baythat is much better to use (although needs more regular cleaning). The zagg is a little tacky meaning your finger doesn't slide as easily (not ideal for Swype).

Fitting:

I gotta confess that I didn't get the back perfect, but mainly because Ifit it in a dimly lit room, the cover edges are hard to see without bright light. I did get the corner 90% by using glad wrap (plastic wrap) tightly pulled over the corners and left overnight (saw this on a youtube demo video).

Also I once helped a colleague who fits 3m window film for a living. I noticed that he used a lot of liquid, so for the front I made up some more liquid, enough to refill the bottle Zagg provide. I used the whole bottle on the front, making fitting much easier, you can just slide tje cover around until it's perfect, then you just push out all the liquid. Using more liquid also seemed to help alleviate any bubbles. Also for the front I used a very bright light (480 lumens bike light) which made it much easier to see exactly where the edges were.

I'm also hoping that Zagg bring out the coloured/patterned backs, which in an email to me they said they would, then I'll use a regular screen protector for the front.

WiseDuck

Aug 7, 2009
What is that liquid anyways?

I don't feel like it's a good idea to spray your device with something. When I put the shield on my iPhone I saw a couple of small droplets here and there enter the phone. I pushed some liquid near openings around the glass and some of it was sucked inside somehow. It hasn't damaged the phone, I still don't know if it can.

eeney

Jul 4, 2010
Sydney
I just remixed a new solution: a couple of drops of baby shampoo with water in the bottle supplied. (I think you can use other stuff like washing detergent, but don't take my word, use google (3m film))

From the 3m website:

"3M™ Scotchtint™ Films are professionally applied by skilled, well-trained authorized 3M Dealers. Almost all of our films are designed to be applied to the inside of your glass.

The first step is to prepare the window area for the application; placing drop cloths on the floor protecting and/or moving furniture where necessary.

Next, the window glass is cleaned using simple cleaning solutions (often water and ammonia) and razor blade scrapers. Then the film is sprayed with a slip solution (detergent and water) for proper positioning, and applied to the window glass. Using a professional grade squeegee and following proper techniques, the application is completed by removing excess water, trimming the edges, and a final squeegee technique to dry the edges."

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
same here

liquid and electronics don't mix

i don't like the idea of having anything wet near my device.

What is that liquid anyways?

I don't feel like it's a good idea to spray your device with something. When I put the shield on my iPhone I saw a couple of small droplets here and there enter the phone. I pushed some liquid near openings around the glass and some of it was sucked inside somehow. It hasn't damaged the phone, I still don't know if it can.