WCDMA Preferred on 4.0.4 (GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) on 4.0.2)

Search This thread

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
Anyone noted that? In the secret menu (you can access dialing *#*#4636#*#*, in the first section) with the 4.0.4 'WCDMA Preferrer' is selected, and you can´t change that because it returns to the default value. In the 4.0.2, the default was GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL).

I think that is important because if affects the battery life in standby. In the Nexus One, the battery last much longer in GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) mode than WCDMA Preferred.

What do you think guys?

MatAuc12

Mar 23, 2012
I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.

Reactions: taylerdurden

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

The sooner he realizes that turning off wcdma means no 3g, the quicker we can chuckle about it.

And yeah, 2g is better on battery.

Edit: That was a bit mean, but really, Google this a bit.

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
Hmm, interesting I remember on the first htc desire and the htc hero, it was recommended to use gsm auto prl, as it saved battery, and their was an interesting thread about how it worked, and I use to use an app "network ", by Phillip, and it helped to chose the gsm auto prl, but when I tried to use the same app, on my galaxy s2, it wouldn't work anymore, as the gsm auto prl setting wouldn't stick, so I suppose the phones nowadays use a completely new framework. I just set mine to auto select Gsm /wcdma if am in a place of good coverage and when coverage isn't good, I just set it to gsm. My two cents.

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I am agree, but there is something strange. People who have received the official ota with all stock, told me that they have the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) activated, like in 4.0.2. But, like me, people who have updated whit the full system image have WCDMA Preferred and cannot change..

I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..
Probably the best option to save battery would be GSM auto prl...

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
I updated with the ota and also wcdma is selected... I would say it's better than the previous (ambiguous) GSM/cdma..our phone is not cdma..

What option had you before the OTA arrives to your phone? Or have you update the OTA manually?

odin13

Dec 11, 2007
near amsterdam
Same here...i flashed the image from Google and can't change it although when i select 2g only in settings menu it does change from wcdma to gsm only...

Didn't check this menu after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

*i have gsm gnex..on 4.0.3 roms the setting would be gsm/cdma

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

Last edited:

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
Same here...i flashed the image from Google and can't change it although when i select 2g only in settings menu it does change from wcdma to gsm only...

Didn't check this menu after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

*i have gsm gnex..on 4.0.3 roms the setting would be gsm/cdma

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

Since I buyed the phone, that means with 4.0.2 and 4.0.1, I have had GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL), it is asi the phone comes becuase I kept it all stock. But, fur installing the 4.0.4 I have flashed the full image, and it is then the change has come. It is very strange, because people who have received the OTA officially, keeps the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) selected..

DaLoona

Mar 27, 2010
If you want some powersaving from switching data/bands , get a custom rom like AOKP 29, then you can set a powersave function to switch to 2g or turn data completely off, automatically when going to stand-by. Or get an app like juicedefender, it does the same.

taylerdurden

Feb 27, 2011
If you want some powersaving from switching data/bands , get a custom rom like AOKP 29, then you can set a powersave function to switch to 2g or turn data completely off, automatically when going to stand-by. Or get an app like juicedefender, it does the same.

I only want to know why the OTA leaves the GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) option active, and the full system image set WCDMA Preferred and doesn´t let to change it..

C

caliber177

I too have the same thing with AOKP Build 29.... it normally sticks to WCDMA Preferred.... but on AOKP Build 28, it sticks to GSM/CDMA Auto PRL....

can someone shed some light on this?

Mawdo

Jan 2, 2011
Olesa de Montserrat,Barcelona
I did flash the FULL factory image from the google page but i have an option to change it ( and it have WCDMA PREFERRED pre-selected ) i have a GSM version and i have no idea which one is the best option....:confused:

C

caliber177

I did flash the FULL factory image from the google page but i have an option to change it ( and it have WCDMA PREFERRED pre-selected ) i have a GSM version and i have no idea which one is the best option....:confused:

I think we all have the option to change it.... the question is, does it stick after you exit the menu? Can you set it to GSM Auto PRL, reboot, and it stays on that setting?

Let us know.

Mawdo

Jan 2, 2011
Olesa de Montserrat,Barcelona
I think we all have the option to change it.... the question is, does it stick after you exit the menu? Can you set it to GSM Auto PRL, reboot, and it stays on that setting?

Let us know.

ok i will check that

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Let us know.

NOPE it will stay as long as you didn't reboot the phone, but once you turn off the power it's gone :rolleyes:

C

caliber177

Wow, but it actually stays if you leave the menu, do other things, then go back to the menu, and you have GSM Auto PRL when you return?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did notice the change, but you are wrong saying it affects battery life. Theres a reason you cant change it, let it be.
    It affects the battery in the Nexus One..

Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus are two different phones with two different sets of hardware made by two different manufacturers.

The sooner he realizes that turning off wcdma means no 3g, the quicker we can chuckle about it.

And yeah, 2g is better on battery.

Edit: That was a bit mean, but really, Google this a bit.
    Hmm, interesting I remember on the first htc desire and the htc hero, it was recommended to use gsm auto prl, as it saved battery, and their was an interesting thread about how it worked, and I use to use an app "network ", by Phillip, and it helped to chose the gsm auto prl, but when I tried to use the same app, on my galaxy s2, it wouldn't work anymore, as the gsm auto prl setting wouldn't stick, so I suppose the phones nowadays use a completely new framework. I just set mine to auto select Gsm /wcdma if am in a place of good coverage and when coverage isn't good, I just set it to gsm. My two cents.