[GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

Search This thread

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
umm ok
ill do that and tell you tomorrow (its getting kinda late where i live)

anyways
thanks for all your help :)

No problem, sofar I have just encountered this md5sum not found myself once and a reboot fixed this. I highly doubt HTC removed basic commands like env, grep and find :s

Just make sure auto temp root on boot is not checked, better yet check nothing just do permroot. Leaving Visionairy+ installed or not shouldn't make any difference as the permrooting should have succeeded and the module it used should still be in place at /data/local/.

Bobblot

Mar 15, 2009
Permission denied usually means not found or not su.

You were at the check step still too iirc. If you are, check Visionairy+ options and make sure no options are checked. Maybe permroot again just to be sure and reboot to double check... But only if you didn't invoke the hboot script yet.

Same counts for others with the same problem.

Can those people also cat /proc/version and report back please?

Also you might need to run adb as root (sudo adb shell) if you get permission denied on you PC instead of phone. If you get permission denied on your phone inside the adb shell it looks like some files are missing, but I doubt that even find and grep are missing... Must be something todo with path setup incorrectly if you can post the output of env here that would help.

That's really weird because I just booted into bootloader and it says S-OFF already?

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
That's really weird because I just booted into bootloader and it says S-OFF already?

Well if it tells you S-OFF already thats fine, but you did continue after check threw up md5sum not found this is bad. Could you explain to me the steps you took after check? Backup then hboot and they all threw up md5sum not found?

Also could you do something for me in the terminal?

su
env
ls /system

Does env show you PATH? If so please post PATH and post what ls /system shows you, it should show you a bin and xbin folder and can you then check what the contents are of the bin and xbin folders?

ls /system/bin > /sdcard/bin.txt
ls /system/xbin > /sdcard/xbin.txt

And attach both text files to your post here please they will be in the root of your sdcard.

Last edited:

berek9999

May 25, 2010
I'm getting this problem of md5sum not being found as well. I've done a search for it and it appears to be in /system/xbin, but if I try and run it from there with "/system/xbin/md5sum" it still says it's not found.
I've done all the Visionary stuff and have permaroot.

Any suggestions?

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
sorry if repeat :
if rooting desire lost the OTA update ?
tks for reply

You mean if you can still use OTA updates? It should be possible to use them, but give it a few days and more custom ROMs will surface and hopefully CyanogenMod too.

I'm not sure if OTA updates will include a new HBOOT, but I doubt that will happen tho.

Bobblot

Mar 15, 2009
Well if it tells you S-OFF already thats fine, but you did continue after check threw up md5sum not found this is bad. Could you explain to me the steps you took after check? Backup then hboot and they all threw up md5sum not found?

Also could you do something for me in the terminal?

su
env
ls /system

Does env show you PATH? If so please post PATH and post what ls /system shows you, it should show you a bin and xbin folder and can you then check what the contents are of the bin and xbin folders?

ls /system/bin > /sdcard/bin.txt
ls /system/xbin > /sdcard/xbin.txt

And attach both text files to your post here please they will be in the root of your sdcard.

No, after the checks came up saying Md5sum not found, I just pushed back on terminal and exited.

Heres the other things you wanted,

Attachments

• xbin.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 13
  • bin.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 11
  • snap20101113_172613.jpg
    snap20101113_172613.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 141

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
I'm getting this problem of md5sum not being found as well. I've done a search for it and it appears to be in /system/xbin, but if I try and run it from there with "/system/xbin/md5sum" it still says it's not found.
I've done all the Visionary stuff and have permaroot.

Any suggestions?

Can you try this:

export PATH=/system/xbin:/system/bin:$PATH

And then invoke md5sum again.

If that doesn't work, please turn off fastboot, powercycle the phone (off and then on, not a reboot) and try again starting with md5sum.

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
No, after the checks came up saying Md5sum not found, I just pushed back on terminal and exited.

Heres the other things you wanted,

How does your bootloader show S-OFF when you had only run the check script baffles me.

Can you try this too:

md5sum

And report back if it worked.

Bobblot

Mar 15, 2009
How does your bootloader show S-OFF when you had only run the check script baffles me.

Can you try this too:

md5sum

And report back if it worked.

I did root with the evostance maybe that did it? Otherwise I have no idea?

5ac3ed4a-d565-3a5e.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

berek9999

May 25, 2010
Can you try this:

And then invoke md5sum again.

If that doesn't work, please turn off fastboot, powercycle the phone (off and then on, not a reboot) and try again starting with md5sum.

Thanks for the help, but I've done all that and still get the "not found" message. Weird that my phone does this when others don't - it's not like I've modified anything other than running Visionary.

Any other suggestions? Can I download a copy of md5sum from somewhere and run it from the DHD folder - would that work?

How frustrating :confused:

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
I did root with the evostance maybe that did it? Otherwise I have no idea?

5ac3ed4a-d565-3a5e.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

If you followed Evostance guild you have already done the S-OFF too, which covers dd'ing hboot to the correct partition. There is no need for you to continue here.

Altho I'm still wondering as to why md5sum etc don't work for you and a few others. It should be in /system/xbin and you did export PATH correctly, so the shell should be able to find it. Does the same happen in an adb shell?

Do you have fastboot turned off and USB debugging enabled? If so did you do a powercycle?

Last edited:

no1male

Apr 19, 2010
Leicester
i am getting

env: not found

:(

TBH Im a tad scared about powercycling my phone.

Is there any way of checking i wont kill it before doing so?

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
What happens if you do this:

su
cd /system/xbin
./md5sum md5sum

/edit: I have to goto the shop real quick, will be back in 30 minutes.

Bobblot

Mar 15, 2009
If you followed Evostance guild you have already done the S-OFF too, which covers dd'ing hboot to the correct partition. There is no need for you to continue here.

Altho I'm still wondering as to why md5sum etc don't work for you and a few others. It should be in /system/xbin and you did export PATH correctly, so the shell should be able to find it. Does the same happen in an adb shell?

Do you have fastboot turned off and USB debugging enabled? If so did you do a powercycle?

Yes I've have powered the phone off with fastboot and usb debugging enabled. Maybe it's something in evostance root that makes the md5sum not found?

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
Yes I've have powered the phone off with fastboot and usb debugging enabled. Maybe it's something in evostance root that makes the md5sum not found?

I highly doubt it, did the other people who have this problem use Evostance guide?

When I get back from the shop I will make a small test archive to test a few things like including a working md5sum myself see if that works out.

berek9999

May 25, 2010
What happens if you do this:

su
cd /system/xbin
./md5sum md5sum

/edit: I have to goto the shop real quick, will be back in 30 minutes.

I've been doing a bit of digging around, and I'm wondering if this is something to do with the fact that I've got Titanium backup installed, which installs busybox. If I run "busybox md5sum <filename>" then I do get an MD5 sum shown.

Apologies if I'm talking rubbish, I'm very much fumbling in the dark here!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GUIDE] Root, flash a custom recovery and/or S-OFF your Desire HD the "easy" way!

PLEASE DO NOT HOST MY FILES ELSEWHERE ALSO REPORT ERRORS ABOUT IT HERE AND NOT IN ANY OTHER THREADS!

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version with a temporary fix for if not working properly on the latest OTA?

!!!WARNING!!!

ONLY flash the bootloader (HBOOT) aka "S-OFF" if you understand what it is, what it does, what it can do and how it can brick your phone if flashing it fails.

I can not be held responsible if your phone bricks, makes nukes drop from the sky and/or makes your wife pregnant.

Assuming you have the Android SDK (adb) in working order, some basic knowledge of how to use it and experience using the console for those cases something does go tits up.

=====

Requirements: Android Terminal Emulator (from market), the archive attached to this post and a way to extract it to your SD card (file manager, PC, etc).

VISIONairy+ r12 (or higher) is as of v0.5 ONLY needed for rooting your phone, if you already have root you can skip this!

Download and extract the archive to the root of your SD card and read the included instructions (RTFM.txt).

If the first and second MD5 sums match, HBOOT is flashed correctly.
    If the first and third MD5 sums match, HBOOT is not flashed at all and your phone still works like nothing happened.
    If the first does not match second or third, something went wrong and you should NOT reboot your phone but seek help on the forums here!

In the last case, you could first try the hboot script again if that doesn't work something went awfully wrong and you should report back here ASAP but whatever you do ... DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

=====

Credits goto all who made this possible: Scotty, tmzt (eMMC write), Paul (MoDaCo) (VISIONairy+ root) and adwinp (first working S-OFF post).
    (If I left some person out of it just sent me a message and I will correct it)
    Hey guys, I've just completed rooting my DHD but can't seem to set r/w permissions for /system. I have tried setting the r/w permissions via Terminal Emulator, adb shell and the clockwork mod recovery (Currently set to 'mount' and if I change to unmount and reboot it will set back to mount).
    Every time I enter into Root Explorer it will be set as r/w until I move into the /system folder where it will switch to r/o and the 'Mount R/W' tab doesn't switch it.
    Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?
    It's set to S-OFF and everything went ok during the root process, I just want to get rid of the bloatware apps.
    Thanks for any help.

If you are able to manually remount rw and it changes back to ro, it seems like something is switching it back?

You can also remove programs with TitaniumBackup, but remounting rw should not switch back automatically.
    I attempted the following steps and i'm not sure if I've rooted my system or not. I typed SU in terminal emulator it prompts me access denied. Prior to that I had to force close many of my apps. And one of the is the superuser.

Is there a way to recover from this? thanks

1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool
    1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1290501865
    1.2) Install Visionary+ on Your DHD
    1.3) Run it, enable "Set system r/w after root
    1.4) Click "Temproot Now!" - Wait until it's finished
    1.5) Click Attempt Permroot Now!
    1.6) DHD automatically reboot's
    To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"
    run it, type su <------- Unable to proceed from here
    Din feeling is right, abort, get stock rom and try again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk