Have I bricked my Desire S? [SOLVED]

Search This thread

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
I believe I may have bricked my Desire S also.

I rooted my Desire S through the official HTC method. (I have since relocked)

I then attempted to flash a custom ROM.

The custom ROM (Reaper 2.2) got stuck in (what I believe to be a boot loop) so I attempted to revert to the backup I made - that failed.

I did manage to get CyanogenMod 7 working but with missing functionality

Now I could not get beyond the white HTC screen (or the Black screen with the circle/number pattern on Reaper)

My desire S originally was on Vodafone (Ireland)

Whem I try to load the error is:

SD Checking
Loading...[PG88DIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PG88DIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loding...[PG88IMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PG88IMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

My phone was on 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0

Other details I obtained:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.00.0002
(bootloader) version-baseband: 3822.10.08.04_M
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.10.161.3
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) product: saga
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-7230
(bootloader) modelid: PG8810000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4195mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ebd3df7d
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 12
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

I have spent hours upon hours trawling through forums, posts and guides but nothing has worked.

I have tried RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.080 5U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed.exe and got error [170]:device not detected and I have tried from the command line via fastboot....

I really need help here please.

OR is my Desire S totally bricked beyond repair

Last edited by a moderator:

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
If you unlock with htcdev, you need to extract the boot.img from your desired ROM and flash manually through adb after flashing the ROM. I'm 99% sure this will solve your problem. And you'll have to do this each time you flash a new ROM, or backup.
if you s-off your phone rather than using htcdev, you would not suffer from this procedure.

Don't be afraid, there is no brick :)

Sent by my fingers to your head.

Reactions: davepain

nenad_l

Feb 13, 2012
Beograd
If you unlock with htcdev, you need to extract the boot.img from your desired ROM and flash manually through adb after flashing the ROM. I'm 99% sure this will solve your problem. And you'll have to do this each time you flash a new ROM, or backup.
if you s-off your phone rather than using htcdev, you would not suffer from this procedure.

this and bootloader need to be ****unlocked**** in order to boot custom rom, and ***re-locked*** when installing RUU

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply's guys.

I managed to get the RUU working this evening but the phone was still ***unlocked***... I got some error (didn't make note of it)

I will re-read both posts when I am not so tired :eek: and try the suggestions

Thanks again

(I will post my results)

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Ok, now I think I really have messed it up

I tried to flash RUU to the phone and now I cant get recovery to mount the sd card.

Can anyone suggest which RUU I should be using as the RUU app told me I was using the wrong image

I am totally at my wits end....I cannot even go back to the CyanogenMod rom

:mad::mad::mad:

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Ok, now I think I really have messed it up

I tried to flash RUU to the phone and now I cant get recovery to mount the sd card.

Can anyone suggest which RUU I should be using as the RUU app told me I was using the wrong image

I am totally at my wits end....I cannot even go back to the CyanogenMod rom

:mad::mad::mad:

Did you read what I wrote?? Do what I said or search forum about that if you need more information. It is definitely necessary, you won't succeed without flashing boot.img separately.

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
I am so sorry, I did try to flash the boot.img but it didn't seem to work....

Am I right in my understanding: go to the .zip file >> open in win zip>> extract boot.img to the adb folder >> fastboot flash boot.img?

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Now that I am sober I want to thank eyahl, nenad_l and ben_pyett for your input.

I managed to get the rom working last night (drunk and all as I was :p )

I am now running a MIUI rom

Baseband version: 20.4801.30.0822U_3822.10.08.04_M

I need to ask a couple more questions if I may?

The interface is not what I am used to and don't particularly like it. It reminds me of the UI I had on my old Galaxy I9000. Is this as a result of my kernel version?

Kernel version: 2.6.35.14-cyanogenmod+nexx@android-dev#1 Thur Oct 6 14:48:57 BST 2011

My understanding of what I have done by flashing the boot.img is that my kernel is that of the rom from where the boot.img was taken and the MIUI rom sits atop - is this correct?

So if I extract a boot.img from a different rom and then flash I will have a different kernel version and subsequently return my UI to (SENSE) that I'm more familiar to?

Sorry for the n00b questions but I am only learning about this at the moment

Thanks guys

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
No problem, and your understanding is not really correct, the UI is determined by the ROM not the boot image (which is ultimately the kernel), so to get sense back you need to flash a sense ROM like Endy

Every time you flash a new ROM simply flash the associated boot

You shouldn't flash a boot from one ROM under another, it's not mix and match, well that's not completely true.

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

Last edited:

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks Ben.

I will look for the 'Endy' rom you suggested.

Ok, so I dl the zip, extract the boot.img, write it from cmd and then flash the rom like normal?

I find it very frustrating to find roms.....almost every time I select a rom to dl I'm redirected to a bad link or to a referral to another referral etc....

If anyone has a source for roms please post it! :)

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Best source for roms is the development section here at desire s xda. Just look through the threads, you will find good quality and stable roms. Endy=endymion ROM
You can look to the index thread, additionally zac made a torrent thread where you can find torrents for the most used roms

Last edited:

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Just want to thank everyone for helping me resolve my issue.

I now have an Endy rom sunning stable for the most part.

Can this thread be marked resolved?

Thanks again :)

GSR-James

Jun 16, 2010
Is there a 'button' or a tool that I can use to mark as solved or does it have to be done by a mod...

or can I just do this:

SOLVED!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.