[FAQ] AK Kernel 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
AK Kernel FAQs

aklogomelogo.png

Q1) What are custom kernels? What are the benefits of using custom kernels?

A kernel is basically the bridge between the software and hardware. Whenever you command your phone to do something (launching an app), the software sends that request to the hardware which in turn, makes the launching of the app possible. Custom kernels for Android are unofficial creations of independent developers. Unlike the kernels that OEMs make, custom kernels offer more modifications that allow you to tweak your phone in every possible way.

Benefits Of Installing Custom Kernels
You can benefit from having better control of your device. These options are most helpful for users who want to maximize the full potential of their phone or perhaps want to extend their device's battery life. Below are some of the benefits of installing custom kernels.

-Adjust CPU frequencies and set profiles like OnDemand, Battery Saving, etc.
-Underclock and overclock CPU speeds
-Underclock and overclock GPU speeds
-Adjust voltage
-Adjust touch screen sensitivity
-Equip your phone with BLN (backlight notifications)
-Custom recovery that allows backups and restorations of entire ROMs as well as installation of .zip files
-Minimum screen brightness pushed past the limitations of stock kernel
-Conserve battery (with the right settings

Q2) Where can I get the AK kernel and which one should I flash?

The latest kernel is always linked in the OP. The kernel is broken down between the Purity version and Pirate version. The Purity kernel is meant to be as close to stock as possible. The Pirate kernel on the other hand is more of a experimental kernel with more options than Purity.

Q3) I have a XXXXX version of the Galaxy Nexus, will it work?

Yes, the AK kernel works on all versions of the Galaxy Nexus. This includes the CDMA and GSM versions. Download the kernel from the AK thread.

Q4) How do I make changes to my kernel settings? (ex: voltages, fastcharge, etc.)

Download the Trickster Mod from the Google Play store.

Q5) Can I use AK on xxxxx rom?

AK is known to work on any rom based on AOSP, AOKP, CM10, and even MIUI.

Q6) How do I install it coming from another kernel?

TWRP is the prefered recovery, although CWM recovery may also work.

The ideal way to install AK, especially if you are coming from another kernel, is to do the following.
Wipe cache and dalvik cache
Wipe /system
Re-flash your ROM
Flash AK
Fix permissions in recovery (this may take up to a minute or two)
Reboot

Q7) Do I need to wipe cache/dalvik/battery stats/etc if I'm just installing the kernel onto a previous AK version?

No, download and flash away. Only wipe battery stats if your battery percentages are off. Do not believe the myth that doing so will increase your battery life.

Q8) Do I need to run any other apps like SetCPU or equivalent?

No, if you plan to install and run Trickster Mod, please uninstall any other apps that may interfere with your CPU settings. If you are still running into problems (ex: reboots, FCs, etc.) please check your /etc/init.d directory for any left over scripts from other rom or kernels. These may interfere with how AK operates.

Q9) What is Smart Reflex? What is FSync? What is Thermal Throttling?

Smart Reflex is used to scale your voltages. Voltage will be increased or decreased when required. If you are overclocking, disable SR to have access to higher clock speeds.

FSync is a system call that can be toggled on to write buffers to disk (slow) or toggled off (fast) for performance. FSync defaults to on in the linux kernels, the option to disable it exists but it is advised to use this with caution. COMPLETE data corruption could occur if the phone crashes with fsync disabled.

Thermal throttling protects your CPU from overheating. If you are benchmarking, turn this option off to prevent throttling of the CPU that can cause lower scores. Just remember to re-enable it afterwards. Bear in mind that at 110C, the CPU will shut down no matter what. It is not advised to disable thermal throttling, however the option exists for those enthusiasts who are aware of the risk of permanent hardware damage. Please take the necessary precautions!

Q10) Does PGM (slide2wake) for the Nexus work with AK?

Yes PGM is supported on. But be sure to use the latest(March-25) version.

Note- The latest free or pro version of the pgm app is required.[/B]

Q11) What is the sleep of death (SoD)?

You turn the screen off, when you want to pick it up, you can not wake it up.
There is no blinking notification and when you call it, there is no ringing or vibration. When you press and hold power, it does not turn on, otherwise it was OFF.

If you play a game and it reboots, or freezes. That is NOT a SoD.

Q12) Can xxxxx option be implemented in AK?

Stefano wants to keep Purity as close to stock as possible but feel free to request features for Pirate within this thread or the dev thread. Whether or not it gets implemented is up to Stefano.

Q13) I want to keep my Rom's bootanimation, why does AK kernel keep trolling me?

The boot animation by Ciprian is hardcoded so it cant be changed.

Q14) How is battery life?

No one can predict your usage. However, most folks are getting great screen on time and performance.

Q15) I just experienced a reboot, how can I help to pinpoint the problem?

Open up terminal emulator and issue the command:

Code:
cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt

Take this last_kmsg.txt file and show it to Stefano in this thread. It's suggested to copy the contents and use something like pastebin instead of spamming the thread with your log.

Q16) Whats with all the name changes?

Stefano aka AK changes the name whenever he makes major change to kernels, meaning they are different kernels thats why they have different names.. thats why the kernels went from berserk>dummy>pirate>cylon>AK/diamond>.. AK/Diamond are the same he just changed the name from AK to diamond thats why the changelog for diamond leads to changelog of AK.. as for purity that kernel is as close to stock as possible so its name has been purity since i started using this kernel, Stefnao stopped making the purity kernel and now BigBrother1984 makes Rubik in its place

Any other things that should stand in the FAQ? Did I make some horrible language mistakes? Write me a PM or post in this thread.

=============================

Credits-
Stefano - for this great kernel :good:
GideonX - for letting me use this format and some of the question from his post :good:

Last edited:

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
akkernelcenter.png

If you have any problems, you need to collect the following data before reporting it:
- Report Only with default Freqs + default Uv
- kernel version
- rom version
- governor
- scheduler
- freq cpu
- freq gpu
- logcat
- dmsg
- last_kmsg
- short description of the problem

Last edited:

baiyy0906

Nov 21, 2011
PGM(free and better version) can't work with my Gnex with PA 20/2/13 on both Purity kernel and Pirate kernel.

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Honestly I'd like to see peoples custom and under volt settings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
users are more than welcome to post their settings here :good:

your welcome :)

PGM(free and better version) can't work with my Gnex with PA 20/2/13 on both Purity kernel and Pirate kernel.
the issue isnt with AK, its with pgm, the free version is outdated

ThePhantom97

Aug 6, 2012
Robinson
Q12) I want to keep my Rom's bootanimation, why does AK kernel keep trolling me?

I have no problem with branding, but I believe just a splash of the logo would suffice. I am running the Pirate version and not a huge fan of the pirate splash and would really like to remove it or at least have the option to change it to the AK logo. Any chance of this ever happening?

ak

Feb 19, 2011
Ak Land Valley
ak.hiddenbytes.org
I have no problem with branding, but I believe just a splash of the logo would suffice. I am running the Pirate version and not a huge fan of the pirate splash and would really like to remove it or at least have the option to change it to the AK logo. Any chance of this ever happening?

You can download source, compile with:
CONFIG_LOGO is not set

soccer568

May 10, 2010
Why do I get major lag after receiving a notification with this kernel?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Why do I get major lag after receiving a notification with this kernel?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
i persoanly dont have any lag with this kernel(i use stock settings) but post the following info and we might figure out why you are getting lag-

- are you using custom Freqs + Uv?
- kernel version?
- rom version?
- governor?
- scheduler?
- freq cpu?
- freq gpu?

uncola

Feb 6, 2009
So I'm new to custom kernels, but I'd like to see super basic stuff for newbies in the faq. like "What is the benefit of installing a kernel and what does it do?" in the faq. or like "Is there a rom that works better with this kernel?"

Reactions: Hetalk and Khizar

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
So I'm new to custom kernels, but I'd like to see super basic stuff for newbies in the faq. like "What is the benefit of installing a kernel and what does it do?" in the faq. or like "Is there a rom that works better with this kernel?"
i like the first question so will add it in the OP, as for second question nobody can answer it but you, every device is different so the rom/kenrel that works best for me wont necessarily work best for you thats why i recommened that you try different rom/kernel combos

Last edited:

faintless

Feb 23, 2013
My personal opinion about this kernel

I really like the thing to keep it update to mainline linux, only 2 kernel keep this ( leankernel & franco kernel )

I noticed some strange things

the first is disabling MPU Smartreflex and set lower voltage than SR , device is hot and drain more battery WHY? it's unsense ( test with #704 ) anyone can confirm?

The second one too much battery ( using SR ), in the past i love check my phone every seconds and close all apps to keep some juice inside battery, now with AK kernel battery life is something incredible and it's annoying : / , i arrive to 21:00 ( from 7:00 ) with 30-40% and 4-5 hours screen on and ever single thing turn on ( i'm using google now only for meteo lol ), with others kernel same thing, i arrive with much lower %, like 5-10%

This is my settings:
AK kernel 704
AOKP Self Compiled updated with 22feb git

Interactive ( 350 - 1060 Mhz ) - ( Screen off max : 535 Mhz ) - ( hispeed_freq : 810000 ) ( brightness: 50% ) ( 135 apps installed ) ( Full disk encryption [ said only cuz disk operation use more CPU = more Battery ] )

Reactions: Hetalk and ak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AK Kernel FAQs

aklogomelogo.png

Q1) What are custom kernels? What are the benefits of using custom kernels?

A kernel is basically the bridge between the software and hardware. Whenever you command your phone to do something (launching an app), the software sends that request to the hardware which in turn, makes the launching of the app possible. Custom kernels for Android are unofficial creations of independent developers. Unlike the kernels that OEMs make, custom kernels offer more modifications that allow you to tweak your phone in every possible way.

Benefits Of Installing Custom Kernels
    You can benefit from having better control of your device. These options are most helpful for users who want to maximize the full potential of their phone or perhaps want to extend their device's battery life. Below are some of the benefits of installing custom kernels.

-Adjust CPU frequencies and set profiles like OnDemand, Battery Saving, etc.
    -Underclock and overclock CPU speeds
    -Underclock and overclock GPU speeds
    -Adjust voltage
    -Adjust touch screen sensitivity
    -Equip your phone with BLN (backlight notifications)
    -Custom recovery that allows backups and restorations of entire ROMs as well as installation of .zip files
    -Minimum screen brightness pushed past the limitations of stock kernel
    -Conserve battery (with the right settings

Q2) Where can I get the AK kernel and which one should I flash?

The latest kernel is always linked in the OP. The kernel is broken down between the Purity version and Pirate version. The Purity kernel is meant to be as close to stock as possible. The Pirate kernel on the other hand is more of a experimental kernel with more options than Purity.

Q3) I have a XXXXX version of the Galaxy Nexus, will it work?

Yes, the AK kernel works on all versions of the Galaxy Nexus. This includes the CDMA and GSM versions. Download the kernel from the AK thread.

Q4) How do I make changes to my kernel settings? (ex: voltages, fastcharge, etc.)

Download the Trickster Mod from the Google Play store.

Q5) Can I use AK on xxxxx rom?

AK is known to work on any rom based on AOSP, AOKP, CM10, and even MIUI.

Q6) How do I install it coming from another kernel?

TWRP is the prefered recovery, although CWM recovery may also work.

The ideal way to install AK, especially if you are coming from another kernel, is to do the following.
    Wipe cache and dalvik cache
    Wipe /system
    Re-flash your ROM
    Flash AK
    Fix permissions in recovery (this may take up to a minute or two)
    Reboot

Q7) Do I need to wipe cache/dalvik/battery stats/etc if I'm just installing the kernel onto a previous AK version?

No, download and flash away. Only wipe battery stats if your battery percentages are off. Do not believe the myth that doing so will increase your battery life.

Q8) Do I need to run any other apps like SetCPU or equivalent?

No, if you plan to install and run Trickster Mod, please uninstall any other apps that may interfere with your CPU settings. If you are still running into problems (ex: reboots, FCs, etc.) please check your /etc/init.d directory for any left over scripts from other rom or kernels. These may interfere with how AK operates.

Q9) What is Smart Reflex? What is FSync? What is Thermal Throttling?

Smart Reflex is used to scale your voltages. Voltage will be increased or decreased when required. If you are overclocking, disable SR to have access to higher clock speeds.

FSync is a system call that can be toggled on to write buffers to disk (slow) or toggled off (fast) for performance. FSync defaults to on in the linux kernels, the option to disable it exists but it is advised to use this with caution. COMPLETE data corruption could occur if the phone crashes with fsync disabled.

Thermal throttling protects your CPU from overheating. If you are benchmarking, turn this option off to prevent throttling of the CPU that can cause lower scores. Just remember to re-enable it afterwards. Bear in mind that at 110C, the CPU will shut down no matter what. It is not advised to disable thermal throttling, however the option exists for those enthusiasts who are aware of the risk of permanent hardware damage. Please take the necessary precautions!

Q10) Does PGM (slide2wake) for the Nexus work with AK?

Yes PGM is supported on. But be sure to use the latest(March-25) version.

Note- The latest free or pro version of the pgm app is required.[/B]

Q11) What is the sleep of death (SoD)?

You turn the screen off, when you want to pick it up, you can not wake it up.
    There is no blinking notification and when you call it, there is no ringing or vibration. When you press and hold power, it does not turn on, otherwise it was OFF.

If you play a game and it reboots, or freezes. That is NOT a SoD.

Q12) Can xxxxx option be implemented in AK?

Stefano wants to keep Purity as close to stock as possible but feel free to request features for Pirate within this thread or the dev thread. Whether or not it gets implemented is up to Stefano.

Q13) I want to keep my Rom's bootanimation, why does AK kernel keep trolling me?

Q14) How is battery life?

No one can predict your usage. However, most folks are getting great screen on time and performance.

Q15) I just experienced a reboot, how can I help to pinpoint the problem?

Open up terminal emulator and issue the command:

Code:
    cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt

Take this last_kmsg.txt file and show it to Stefano in this thread. It's suggested to copy the contents and use something like pastebin instead of spamming the thread with your log.

Q16) Whats with all the name changes?

Stefano aka AK changes the name whenever he makes major change to kernels, meaning they are different kernels thats why they have different names.. thats why the kernels went from berserk>dummy>pirate>cylon>AK/diamond>.. AK/Diamond are the same he just changed the name from AK to diamond thats why the changelog for diamond leads to changelog of AK.. as for purity that kernel is as close to stock as possible so its name has been purity since i started using this kernel, Stefnao stopped making the purity kernel and now BigBrother1984 makes Rubik in its place

Any other things that should stand in the FAQ? Did I make some horrible language mistakes? Write me a PM or post in this thread.

=============================

Credits-
    Stefano - for this great kernel :good:
    GideonX - for letting me use this format and some of the question from his post :good:
    akkernelcenter.png

If you have any problems, you need to collect the following data before reporting it:
    - Report Only with default Freqs + default Uv
    - kernel version
    - rom version
    - governor
    - scheduler
    - freq cpu
    - freq gpu
    - logcat
    - dmsg
    - last_kmsg
    - short description of the problem
    i used GideonX post that is linked in the OP to make this and looks like i forgot to edit that, thanks for the catch :good:

PS- if anyone finds something else or has any siggestions please let me know :good:
    Honestly I'd like to see peoples custom and under volt settings.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    users are more than welcome to post their settings here :good:

your welcome :)

the issue isnt with AK, its with pgm, the free version is outdated
    First!

Great job on this.
    thanks.. btw guys i think this thread should be in the Q&A section instead so i am requestiong that a MOD move it there :good: