[Q] Please help me find the cause of battery drain

Search This thread

Styrkefuglen

Jun 10, 2014
My phone's battery has been sucked dry way too fast since ~may 25.
I am and have always been on stock rom, and I only rooted the phone this weekend in order to use BetterBatteryStats and Wakelock Detector.

I estimate that during a day of heavy use for me before the end of may, the battery usage cannot have been much above 5%/h
According to BBS the phone used 6.4%/h over 7h30m this morning with less than a minute of screen on-time.

None of these things have helped significantly:
  • Disabling automatic syncing
  • Setting location mode to "device only"
  • Uninstalling EVERY third-party app except these most essential: Authy, Barcode Scanner, BetterBatteryStats, Dropbox, DSB Wildcard, LastPass, Sleep as Android (and addons), SuperSU.
  • Factory reset
  • *Upgrading to Android 4.4.3
  • Disabling WiFi to see if that would make a difference
  • Disabling mobile network data
  • Using recovery mode to wipe cache

My conclusions (please correct me if i'm wrong):
  • The drain is not caused by any third party app that I have removed without seeing an improvement
  • The drain is not caused by Google's location service or account syncing
  • The cause is not Android itself. I used 4.4.2 for 6 months without problems, and I only upgraded to 4.4.3 last week
  • The problem is independent of location (WiFi and cell towers). During the 7h30m when I collected the data below and got the corresponding graph, I was both at home, at work and commuting between the two, and I can't see any difference on the graph.
  • The problem is not related to the runtime, because i used ART almost since it was released with android 4.4 and after the factory reset I have used Dalvik

My suspects:
  • The issue started while the new version of Google Play Services was rolling out. Maybe it ****ed something up?
  • Batteries consist of multiple "cells" right? Maybe one of them (about 50% I think) broke?

I have uploaded a logfile from BetterBatteryStats below. That data was collected with account syncing disabled, location mode set to "device only" and only the third-party apps mentioned above installed.

Please contribute with any relevant insight or idea, and don't hesitate to ask for more info or propose experiments, to narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2014-06-10_140818744.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2014-06-10-14-11-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-10-14-11-21.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

taodan

Nov 27, 2011
LineageOS
I am and have always been on stock rom, and I only rooted the phone this weekend in order to use BetterBatteryStats and Wakelock Detector.

I estimate that during a day of heavy use for me before the end of may, the battery usage cannot have been much above 5%/h
According to BBS the phone used 6.4%/h over 7h30m this morning with less than a minute of screen on-time.

• *Disabling automatic syncing
  • *Setting location mode to "device only"
  • *Uninstalling EVERY third-party app except these most essential: Authy, Barcode Scanner, BetterBatteryStats, Dropbox, DSB Wildcard, LastPass, Sleep as Android (and addons), SuperSU.
  • *Factory reset

• The drain is not caused by any third party app that I have removed without seeing an improvement
  • The drain is not caused by Googles location service or account syncing
  • The cause is not Android itself. I used 4.4.2 for 6 months without problems, and I only upgraded to 4.4.3 last week
  • The problem is independent of location (WiFi and cell towers). During the 7h30m when I collected the data below and got the corresponding graph, I was both at home, at work and commuting between the two, and I can't see any difference on the graph.

My suspects:
  • The issue started while the new version of Google Play Services was rolling out. Maybe it ****ed something up?
  • Batteries consist of multiple "cells" right? Maybe one of them (about 50% I think) broke?

I have uploaded a logfile from BetterBatteryStats below. That data was collected with account syncing disabled, location mode set to "device only" and only the third-party apps mentioned above installed.

Please contribute with any relevant insight or idea, and don't hesitate to ask for more info or propose experiments, to narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks
Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache in recovery? Give them a wipe and let's hope that stop the battery drain.

Reactions: Styrkefuglen

Styrkefuglen

Jun 10, 2014
Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache in recovery? Give them a wipe and let's hope that stop the battery drain.
Hey taodan, thanks for the suggesion. :good:

I forgot to mention that I have used ART almost since it was released with Android 4.4, but I haven't changed the runtime since i did the factory reset.
So I have had the battery draining issue with both runtimes, which makes me think that the it is not related to the runtime I'm using.

I have tried wiping cache from recovery at least once, but I can't remember if I did that before or after the factory reset.

Do you still think that wiping dalvik cache will help?

I will update the original post with the info I forgot here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• *Disabling automatic syncing
    • *Setting location mode to "device only"
    • *Uninstalling EVERY third-party app except these most essential: Authy, Barcode Scanner, BetterBatteryStats, Dropbox, DSB Wildcard, LastPass, Sleep as Android (and addons), SuperSU.
    • *Factory reset

• The drain is not caused by Googles location service or account syncing

My suspects:

Thanks