How to reload OTA update after clearing cache?

Search This thread

Dave_Ro

Jul 22, 2013
I described here my failed attempt to update to 4.4.4

I've restored the device back to stock 4.3 JRW66Y, not rooted, and the cache has been cleared.

But the system remembers that it had an OTA to 4.4.2. If I try to install it it hangs 'rebooting now'.

logcat says E/SystemUpdateService( 961): 'OTA package doesn't exist'

Can I, without rooting it, get the system to forget that it had this OTA so that it will download a new one?

Last edited:

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I described here my failed attempt to update to 4.4.4

I've restored the device back to stock 4.3 JRW66Y, not rooted, and the cache has been cleared.

But the system remembers that it had an OTA to 4.4.2. If I try to install it it hangs 'rebooting now'.

logcat says E/SystemUpdateService( 961): 'OTA package doesn't exist'

Can I, without rooting it, get the system to forget that it had this OTA so that it will download a new one?
You could do a factory reset then it should be able to download the OTA but the factory reset will completely wipe your device and you need to have the correct bootloader for the OTA to work. What version bootloader do you have?

Dave_Ro

Jul 22, 2013
You could do a factory reset then it should be able to download the OTA but the factory reset will completely wipe your device and you need to have the correct bootloader for the OTA to work. What version bootloader do you have?
I don't want to do a factory reset - I'd rather live with 4.3

The installed bootloader is 4.23. Although the installed system is JRW66Y the bootloader is from JRW66V (see this thread).

I wonder whether deleting Google Services Framework data will do the trick, but this may have undesirable consequences (see this thread).

Maybe I'll wait a bit and have another go at flashing 4.4.4 - see my OP; nobody has suggested yet why that didn't work.

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I don't want to do a factory reset - I'd rather live with 4.3

The installed bootloader is 4.23. Although the installed system is JRW66Y the bootloader is from JRW66V (see this thread).

I wonder whether deleting Google Services Framework data will do the trick, but this may have undesirable consequences (see this thread).

Maybe I'll wait a bit and have another go at flashing 4.4.4 - see my OP; nobody has suggested yet why that didn't work.
Sorry! I should have received a notification email that you had responded. For whatever reason, lately, the notification works some of the time but not always. I had no idea the bootloaders had gotten so effing screwed up! I bought my daughter a 2012 N7 for Christmas and no wonder I had to let it do an OTA before it would let me flash a factory image. I vaguely remember getting a bootloader invalid state error. My brothers bone stock 2012 N7 is on 4.4.4 with no issues, he would have called me otherwise. ; )

If you don't want to do a factory reset you CAN flash the factory image without wiping your device, as long as your bootloader is already/still unlocked. If you modify the flash_all.bat, which is inside the factory image the userdata.img which wipes your device won't be flashed. If you open the flash_all.bat with whatever text editor you use (I use editpad lite or notepad) and remove the -w from the text it won't wipe your device. You will keep your settings, installed apps and storage. Extract the factory image into the same folder as your adb.exe and fastboot.exe, you should see these files if you have the 3G version;
bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-nakasig-krt16s.zip
radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img
The 4.4 (krt16s) is the newest factory image that has the exact same bootloader as jwr66v. From there you can let it do some OTA's or flash the 4.4.4 factory image. If you need help getting the sdk installed or have any questions let me know, hopefully the notification will work.

Dave_Ro

Jul 22, 2013
...I had no idea the bootloaders had gotten so effing screwed up!
I'm not sure whether these bootloaders are as screwed up and some posts suggests. A corrupt bootloader in one release - JRW66Y - I can understand, but I'd have thought it would get corrected. But no, and the next version is also suspect. There's something going on that I don't understand. Files with the same name but different MD5s - why is that? I don't understand the 'signatures' that people mention - is there are explanation of that? In the post above mine at the end of this thread (post #98) he refers to a signature mismatch. I got the same error (post #100) but no mention of signatures. And that bootloader failed to flash despite others presumably having been successful and it having the 'correct' MD5 (which the OP has changed in the original post!). All very odd.

]If you don't want to do a factory reset you CAN flash the factory image without wiping your device, as long as your bootloader is already/still unlocked. If you modify the flash_all.bat, which is inside the factory image the userdata.img which wipes your device won't be flashed. If you open the flash_all.bat with whatever text editor...

I use Linux and flash the partitions individually rather than using their script, but essentially It's what I did with 4.4.4 KTU84 - at least I'm pretty sure I did.

The 4.4 (krt16s) is the newest factory image that has the exact same bootloader as jwr66v. From there you can let it do some OTA's or flash the 4.4.4 factory image. If you need help getting the sdk installed or have any questions let me know, hopefully the notification will work.

I might try KRT16S instead of KTU84P - it's a smaller step. But it would be better to go straight to the latest.

But I'd like to understand what's happening before I try again - and nobody's suggesting anything on that other thread. I guess the world's move on from the Nexus 7 2012! But thanks for your full replies and suggestions.

Going back to the object of this thread, here must be some way to just tell GFS to forget that it once downloaded that OTA! Any suggestions on that?

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I'm not sure whether these bootloaders are as screwed up and some posts suggests. A corrupt bootloader in one release - JRW66Y - I can understand, but I'd have thought it would get corrected. But no, and the next version is also suspect. There's something going on that I don't understand. Files with the same name but different MD5s - why is that? I don't understand the 'signatures' that people mention - is there are explanation of that? In the post above mine at the end of this thread (post #98) he refers to a signature mismatch. I got the same error (post #100) but no mention of signatures. And that bootloader failed to flash despite others presumably having been successful and it having the 'correct' MD5 (which the OP has changed in the original post!). All very odd.

I use Linux and flash the partitions individually rather than using their script, but essentially It's what I did with 4.4.4 KTU84 - at least I'm pretty sure I did.

I might try KRT16S instead of KTU84P - it's a smaller step. But it would be better to go straight to the latest.

But I'd like to understand what's happening before I try again - and nobody's suggesting anything on that other thread. I guess the world's move on from the Nexus 7 2012! But thanks for your full replies and suggestions.

Going back to the object of this thread, here must be some way to just tell GFS to forget that it once downloaded that OTA! Any suggestions on that?
Out of curiosity I looked at the bootloaders and even though they say v4.23 a crap load of them are different sizes. Just as an example jwr66v is 2,150,992 bytes and ktu84p is 2,151,068 bytes. Don't have a clue what is going on. I can tell you that the bootloaders on the N5 and 2013 N7 are the exact same size across os versions that state the same bootloader version number.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

The vast majority of the time I also fastboot flash the images separately, I make a few too may changes in the system files to be able to use an OTA unless it's a very small one. I would flash the images for krt16s, bootloader, boot, system, recovery and radio. Then let it do a couple OTA's. 4.4.2 has a different size bootloader (4,005,632 bytes) and 4.3, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 have the same size (2,151,068 bytes).

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

I would think flashing the system image would clear it out but I guess not. If you were rooted you could run SDMaid and I think that would clear it. If you were rooted you could sideload the OTA and put it in /cache and see it that works. Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience running OTA updates, I usually have to fastboot flash images.

Last edited:

Dave_Ro

Jul 22, 2013
Well, in the end I successfully reflashed it to 4.4 (KRT16S), erasing user data. It then did 3 OTAs to 4.4.4 in quick succession.

Along the way it said:
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'tos.img'

tos? ISTR that was on the Atari ST

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't need half these apps anyway - it's good to have a clearout!

Dave