[Q] [HELP] LG G2 (Not Rooted) Screen Jitters after updating KitKat

Search This thread

hoezay

Oct 5, 2010
Mumbai
crap ! I have just gone through the exact same stages as @edgarpoe with my lg g2. So random .Going to have to take it into the service center.ARGH.

Mouaz

Sep 3, 2014
Guys any fix I'm facing the same problem

my g2 is out of warranty and the screen started to jitter. :(

BackDaws

Oct 19, 2011
England
Mines just started doing it after updating to d80220g but doesn't do it if I'm using cyanogenmod 11 so I'm thinking it's a driver issue or gpu setting ?

deanmalakian

Feb 10, 2014
Fixed it...

Guys... I might have the solution as it worked on my D802 from Malaysia..

I've been facing the same jittering/flickering screen issue for the pass two weeks... I did send it for warranty but turns out to be my screen warranty has expired..
Even the technician said it might be the screen faulty.. But i did not trust him, since i have read few other guys in xda facing the same issue again after changed the screen or filter..
Atleast I saved few hundreds from my pocket..

My Solution:
1. Remove Weather Widget from your Home screen/Lock screen and force stop running Weather services in App Manager.
2. Install an App called "Greenify".
3. Add all pre-installed Apps by LG from your phone to be greenified.
Add into Greenify:
-Quick Translator
-Safety Care
-SmartWorld
-Video Guide
-World Clock Widget
-Dictionary
-Installed Themes.
4. Start hibernating those apps in Greenify.

After a while, my screen just stopped flickering.... Yeayyyy...!!!
Hopefully this solution will work with your phone as well... Finger crossed..

If you guys having problem going through these steps from your phone, try to cast the screen to your TV or use OSP on your PC...

sajjadashraf

Sep 16, 2008
fluctuating display

Above methods didnt work for me. I installed apps Cputemp and thermocf from android playstore and jitter or fluctuation has gone surprisingly. Also switch off haptic feedback.
Enjoy

zni3h

Jan 20, 2012
The nexus 5 also suffers from this issue, apparently replacing the flex cable solves the problem

aryansingh163

Jul 3, 2015
Remove weather widget

Have you all noticed its been caused due to weather widget. After trying lots of things and reading bunch of posts online I read somewhere to disable weather app and tried it, to my surprise the flickering stopped.
So, all the people try out this: remove the weather widget, switch off your phone and restart it after couple of hours. Hope your problem would have been solved like mine.

Edward M

Oct 28, 2015
Had the same problem, this fixed mine.

Go to settings >> More Tab >> About device.

Find "Build number" and click 6 times fast on it.

You will then get the message saying: "You are now a developer"

Come back to Home Screen, and then go back to Settings >> More Tab >> Now you will see the "Developer Options"

Now go to Developer options >> Drawing Section or Rendering Section >> Find "Turn off hardware overlays" or "disable hardware overlays" >> This will force the phone to always use GPU for screen compositing

Also turn off 'window animation scale' ' transition animation scale' 'animator duration scale'

Clear as many apps from start up screen as you can, including weather

OT-Xtreme

Jul 14, 2015
ohh man im now getting it too! never had it (have the phone since launch so 2.5 years) D802 on 30b and dori kernel)

please tell me guys what can i do? what to replace/fix exactly. il try do it myself not a lab (too much money)

also noticed when rebooting (lg logo) sometimes i can see white/noise line maybe 10 pixel thick at the bottom.

Last edited:

PhoneNoobs

Apr 4, 2016
I have a tmobile lg g2 and my screen kept jerking but it was due to the touch it will click on stuff while all i was doing was trying to scroll. My fix? I went to the hidden menu and updated touch. For hidden menu go to 3845#*801# on the dial pad but replace 801 for your model number mine is d801 so i use 801 so letters not included once u go there theres all kinds of test n things that might fix or calibrate your phone

PhoneNoobs

Apr 4, 2016
It fixed it temporarily and then it started again .... Sorry bro.. They did it so we can get the lg g5 sneaky bast*rds

Noobodyg2vz

Oct 18, 2016
Switched it off for a while. Turned on everythinh was fine for 10 minutes until it started but not too much. Then I played color switch xD and everything was fine in the game but the screen started shaking outside the game ao I kept playing color switch and eeverything is fine for many hours now...

Oct 22, 2016
OP, this screen jitters, flickering, whitelines etc are common issue in G2 models.

this is caused due to a hardware issue, your software is working fine.

you need to replace the "EMI Filter" of your G2 with a new one.
with some times of use this gets loose or malfunctions, due to which screen starts jittering/flickering. but your display is intact, no need to spend money on getting display replaced, or digitizer replaced or software tweaks etc. just get your EMI filter changed and your display will work fine.

OT-Xtreme

Jul 14, 2015
OP, this screen jitters, flickering, whitelines etc are common issue in G2 models.

this is caused due to a hardware issue, your software is working fine.

you need to replace the "EMI Filter" of your G2 with a new one.
with some times of use this gets loose or malfunctions, due to which screen starts jittering/flickering. but your display is intact, no need to spend money on getting display replaced, or digitizer replaced or software tweaks etc. just get your EMI filter changed and your display will work fine.

hey, from where to buy them? can't find anywhere please help (also where those are placed in the motherboard exactly?)

if someone could please write a good guide it wil be amazing cause to take it to a lab will cost way to much

Oct 22, 2016
hey, from where to buy them? can't find anywhere please help (also where those are placed in the motherboard exactly?)

if someone could please write a good guide it wil be amazing cause to take it to a lab will cost way to much

Its located near the charging port, you can access it by removing the lower back panel of your G2.
but keep in mind that its very delicate process, if you aren't well versed in repairing than its better to give it to LG repair centre and tell them exactly what you want to get replaced in your phone. Or you can go to any other trusted technician that will do what you say. Otherwise if you give it to any random technician, they will produce 100 more issues in your hardware except the one that you have and your phone wont fix.

ill give you a link for a post where its written what to sold on the LCD lines. but dont do it if you dont know what you are doing yourself. the connections are really small, so you can actually ruin the the connection eventually leading to no display.

http ://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f494/lg-g2-d802-flicker-solution-need-help-1905072/index2.html

just remove the gap after http of link.

also there are video links / google links for how to do it, you just need to find it, like diamond in coal. (search for " emi filter lg g2"

this is what it looks like after fix : refer to attached image, that long processor you see, the last few connection on both sides, those have to be fixed.

Attachments

• oZq0d7.jpg
    oZq0d7.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: OT-Xtreme

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been on 4.4.2 for a few days, today my stock Bell (D803) started jittering and garbled up so bad it looked like the screen was damaged. It was a bit warm from being plugged in so i shut it down. Now it's cooled off and video jitters only slightly. I also tried re-calibrating motion sensor but seems to still have a slight jitter. (note: it's not the brightness flicker problem, the segments of the video on the screen literally shakes!)
    Was thinking phone was damaged some how but now i see it's not the only one with the problem since last update.
    Gee, good thing we own $700 smartphones!
    I don't usually root my phones until the warranty is up on them so it's still Bell stock.

---------- Post added 21st May 2014 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 20th May 2014 at 11:22 PM ----------

Been on 4.4.2 for a few days, today my stock Bell (D803) started jittering and garbled up so bad it looked like the screen was damaged. It was a bit warm from being plugged in so i shut it down. Now it's cooled off and video jitters only slightly. I also tried re-calibrating motion sensor but seems to still have a slight jitter. (note: it's not the brightness flicker problem, the segments of the video on the screen literally shakes!)
    Was thinking phone was damaged some how but now i see it's not the only one with the problem since last update.
    Gee, good thing we own $700 smartphones!
    I don't usually root my phones until the warranty is up on them so it's still Bell stock.
    I also tried a factory wipe by pressing power/down keys when booting and still same problem...

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk
    When you factory reset your phone it retains it's system partition, so Kit Kat stays. What it does is wipe it's data and cache partitions where all your apps, app data, and personal files are stored.

I tried a battery cycle last night. Let it drain dead, then plug it in until it's 100%. Not recommended to do that a lot because life of Li-ion batteries are rated for so many full charge cycles, but it helps reprogram battery's charge circuit.

(Lots of battery info can be found elsewhere in forum and by Google searching)

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Rare times when you upgrade, battery charge data gets messed up and doesn't charge properly causing instabilities and shorter battery life.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Yesterday my battery stats where around 4100mV. Today at 100% after power cycling stats reading 3761mV.
    No jitter noticed yet.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure our Battery is only 3.8v, so the way I see it my battery was getting overcharged.

We'll see how it runs today and I'll report back later tonight but so far no more video glitches noticed.

4.3V is on the high end of the Li-ion chemistry in our phones.

3.8 is the "average" voltage the battery puts out, it is not a constant usually. When a Li-ion battery is fully charged it should never be charged over 4.3V, most people only let it charge to 4.2 for safety, likewise they should never drop below 3.4/3.5V or damage will probably occur.
    The phone's internal circuitry takes care of the voltage difference by pulling less amps when fully charged and increasing the amp pull when going under 3.8V to make up for the low voltage.

Source: A lot of experience with Vaping gear that uses similar Li-ion batteries.
    exactly, planned obsolescence

Its located near the charging port, you can access it by removing the lower back panel of your G2.
    but keep in mind that its very delicate process, if you aren't well versed in repairing than its better to give it to LG repair centre and tell them exactly what you want to get replaced in your phone. Or you can go to any other trusted technician that will do what you say. Otherwise if you give it to any random technician, they will produce 100 more issues in your hardware except the one that you have and your phone wont fix.

ill give you a link for a post where its written what to sold on the LCD lines. but dont do it if you dont know what you are doing yourself. the connections are really small, so you can actually ruin the the connection eventually leading to no display.

http ://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f494/lg-g2-d802-flicker-solution-need-help-1905072/index2.html

just remove the gap after http of link.

also there are video links / google links for how to do it, you just need to find it, like diamond in coal. (search for " emi filter lg g2"

this is what it looks like after fix : refer to attached image, that long processor you see, the last few connection on both sides, those have to be fixed.