[APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

Search This thread

kaiumaka

Mar 7, 2012
Hi,

I recently got a new SIM & number, but it seems I'm still using Telegram with my old number. I never logged out, because who does...Some questions:

Can I use my old account indefinitely? What if my old number will be used again?
If I log out I have to create a new account right? How will that look for my telegram contacts, will I be someone else?
What about all my messages (secret and non-secret). Will they still be there?

Thanks in advance for any hints about this!

You can use your secret chats as long as nobody logs you out, but the new owner is going to read and write your regular and group chats.
New number =new account, but you can try other telegram client with new number and see how many time you can last with your old secret chats.

mrtrickio

Dec 18, 2012
just installed (v1.8.3) and it seems to be sending text msgs by default to the home contact number stored in my contacts as opposed to a telegram message to them... might be related but when I "invite" someone via the app the message is created via SMS but to the home number in the contact. any suggestions?

Vit5000

Jun 28, 2009
I think people forgot already about whatsapp and Facebook and don't really care. New user on telegram should be growing quite slowly ...

dortmunder29

Jan 12, 2015
Share on other social apps that you using Telegram now

Hello everyone, i like this "APP" very much.

i want a button in the client.. to share that im using Telegram on other platforms like facebook or google+.

So my friends are aware of it !

Would be great to higher population

Thank you

Ortiplaxy

Mar 29, 2015
ortiplaxy.gq
When Pavel Durov managed social network VKontakte, I trusted him and used it, but as soon as he left there, I immediately went after him, after she got the first assembly telegram I immediately started to use it. Great app! ;)

Guids

Sep 11, 2011
Hi, a question I have is:

Is telegram's regular chat any more secure then whatsapp?

Ofcourse, the secure chat has end-to-end encryption. But how does the regular chat stacks up.
Please understand my ignorance.

jimmykorea

Jun 18, 2015
Anyone used Getgems Telegram app? It claims to pay users with cryptocurrency if they add friends and use the app?

HanZie82

Whatsapp < Telegram

There is no difference with the regular chat comparing it to whatsapp.

Untrue!
Whatsapp uses a much lower encryption rate (40bit or 56bit DES encryption) than
Telegram (56-bit symmetric AES encryption, RSA 2048 encryption and Diffie–Hellman secure key exchange.) for its regular texts.
Also Whatsapp had a lot of flak against it for being so unsafe. And Telegram is open-source so if you dont believe me get the tools and find out yourself.

I have shown pretty convincingly that the latest versions of the Android and Nokia S40 WhatsApp clients are vulnerable to this problem. I don’t have an iPhone to reproduce the results on iOS nor have I looked at the BlackBerry version, but I don’t think the results will be much different.
Source: https://blog.thijsalkema.de/blog/2013/10/08/piercing-through-whatsapps-encryption-2/

And the new Whatsapp peer-to-peer encryption isnt all that too.

Altho Telegram is not completly safe (if you have acces to the server which is very hard) It's definatly NOT the same.
Source: https://blog.thijsalkema.de/blog/2014/04/02/breaking-half-of-the-telegram-contest/

And i take offence that you without knowing anything just type that stuff up. Because there are people who listen/read to that kind of nonsense.
So dear reader please keep in mind every halfwit can post on this forum (im the perfect example) so again Don't believe everything you read here, some people are just ignorant!
And those people are perfect for whatsapp, anyone who knows anything about it stays away from it.

ps. not affiliated with either of these 2 companies!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    t_logo.png

Taking back our right to privacy

https://telegram.org/
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger
    iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/telegram-messenger/id686449807?mt=8
    Windows Phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/telegram-messenger/9wzdncrdzhs0

Updates:

• v. 3.2.4
      Bug fixes
    • v. 3.2.3
      - Android 6.0 support
      - Now on Tap
      - Direct Share
      - Fingerprint support for Passcodes (Android 6.0 only)
    • v. 3.2.0
      - Introducing Channels – a great new way to broadcast your messages to unlimited audiences (replaces old Broadcasts).
      Read more: https://telegram.org/blog/channels

Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s super-fast, simple, secure and free.
    Telegram seamlessly syncs across all of your devices and can be used on desktops, tablets and phones alike. You can send an unlimited amount of messages, photos, videos and files of any type (.doc, .zip, .pdf, etc.). Telegram groups have up to 200 people and you can send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time. Be sure to check our website for a list of Telegram apps for all platforms.

We built Telegram to make messaging speedy and safe again, without the usual caveats.

Why Switch to Telegram?

FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.

SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.

CLOUD STORAGE: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!

GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.

RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

PRIVACY: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.

For those interested in maximum privacy, Telegram offers Secret Chats. Secret Chat messages can be programmed to self-destruct automatically from both participating devices. This way you can send all types of disappearing content — messages, photos, videos and even files. Secret Chats use end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient.

SUPPORT: For real-time support, please go to Settings in Telegram and select “Ask a Question” to send a message directly to our support volunteers. You can also email us at support@telegram.org.

This application is one of the best encrypted chat applications out right now. Secret messaging and auto self destruct are amazing features.
    If you don't like Facebook knowing everything about you through Whatsapp this is the thing to switch to. It feels super slick and fast. It has better options then any other messaging app has at the moment and it's growing bigger and bigger. Hope the community can give the attention this app deserves and makes it the new messaging app on Android/iOS/WP and PC.

THIS APP IS NOT MINE. I just want to give it attention since more people should use this amazing application.

Really good explanation from: Ba7rani123

Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number

To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things:
    1. Where is the company based ?
    2. Who made it ?
    3. Are the protocols secure ?
    4. Privacy Policy
    1. It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
    2. It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
    3. It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
    4. In their Privacy Policy they strictly show that they will NOT share any data with third parties.

But... Why is it better than Whats app ?

• All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
    - In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud

- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
    • It is Open-source
    • It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
    • Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
    • It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.

Cons :

• It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
    • Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages

Conclusion :

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.

FAQ:
    https://telegram.org/faq

Source:
    Arabic: https://cyberkov.com/?p=1354

you can use Google translate to read it :D
    yea but I still don't trust app like this one. It's sad because I very wanted to use it instead of fb messager (which consumes lots of ram in my device). And "Fast for facebook" is not good for me.

If you're using Facebook Messenger privacy shouldn't be such a big concern for you, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Threema is really good but its a commercial product...

Open source is better ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Telegram is not secure. I like it and use it but you should not think it is the perfect answer to safety concerns. If people change from whatsapp to telegram, that's good. If people change from whatsapp to Threema, that's perfect!
    I went in the phone's general sync settings and there it was telegram's contact sync option. I've ticked it and forced a manual sync. Thanks. Not very intuitive at all. At least they should link you to the general settings...
    However, the contact still doesn't show up in telegram. :confused:

If the contact still doesnt show, go to telegram and in settings below you ll find log out. Log out then log back in

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Nice app but I can't figure out for the life of me how to update the contact list. I know that a contact of my general (not telegram) phonebook has recently installed telegram, but he doesn't show up in telegram's contacts. How to force telegram to rescan my phonebook to see if anyone has installed telegram?
    Thanks.

Did you enable it from settings >,sync

Settings > telegram > sync now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app