[Q] unrevoked forever broke my mms (twice)

Search This thread

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
I have a desire (cdma) i have tried using unrevoked and unrevoked forever to obtain s-off. I have tried on 2 different phones. Both times, after making no other changes, I lose the abilitity to send mms. I can run unrevoked, and mms will work. I run the update to get s-off and it no longer works. Is there something I am doing wrong, is there any troubleshooting I could do?

I know this issue is a month old, but we may have solved it last night on the unrevoked IRC channel.

I had the same problem, and it turned out it was because unrevoked overwrote my phone's carrier ID and it was using the MMS protocol settings for another company.

The guide here will tell you how to edit your BCID, but it doesn't say how to find the right one if you're already having the problem. http://home.kennynet.co.uk/~kenny/bcid-fix.txt

unrevoked had changed mine to UTSI_005 when it was meant to be UTSI_019. I happened to know my correct one from my previous phone, and some versions of stock CDMA ROMs have a list buried somewhere in them.

If anyone is still having this problem, which is only likely to happen with people on carriers with outsourced MMS gateways like Interop, I'll see if I can get the list.

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
Im still having the problem. I am on a small regional carrier --Inland Cellular. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had basically given up on trying to fix it. They are supposed to release a RUU for froyo here soon, and I was hoping that would fix the issue, then I could put cyanogen back on.

Thanks

Im still having the problem. I am on a small regional carrier --Inland Cellular. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had basically given up on trying to fix it. They are supposed to release a RUU for froyo here soon, and I was hoping that would fix the issue, then I could put cyanogen back on.

Thanks
The RUU may not update the /misc partition which is where the problem is. Assuming there's not another carrier named Inland Cellular and your carrier's website is inland3g.com, then they do use Interop and your problem is probably the same as mine was. According to the "telephony.db" file from the generic CDMA 2.1 RUU for the HTC Hero, your CID is UTSI_016. This is a carrier ID assigned by UTStarcom for CDMA interoperability and shouldn't change between handset models. To fix this:

Follow the instructions I linked above.
When you do the "getprop ro.cid" make sure it's something other than "UTSI_016" to confirm this is the most likely culprit.
When you get to the hex editing step, also make sure the first 8 bytes aren't "UTSI_016".
If it is the same problem, your "getprop ro.cid" and first 8 bytes of misc.img will probably be "UTSI_005".
Correct the string to "UTSI_016" and follow the directions to flash the corrected misc.img back.

You do need to already have the right MMS server address and port settings for your carrier programmed. If you've been wrestling with this for a while, I figure you've already verified those.

We just stumbled on this last night and as far as I know I'm the only test case so far, so I can't take responsibility if you brick your phone. I'd suggest joining #unrevokedtest on irc.freenode.net for more assistance.

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
Yep thats the right carrier. I have all the apn info, so that part shouldnt be a problem.

I do have one request if you are able to and its not too hard.

I have had problems with adb on my computer, so I have done everything through terminal on the phone and manaully moving/editing files through the root explorer.

Any chance you can modify your directions to use those methods.

If not, I guess its a good time to figure out adb a little better.

Thanks again.

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
alright i got adb all setup and working. But I am having problems right from the getgo.

I type the first command ($ /system/__unrevoked_su) and it returns and error. I tried reloading a stock rom, rerunning unrevoked and rooting it to see if a file gets created when unrevoked is ran, but I still get an error. It returns a /system/__unrevoked_su not found.

update: i did some playing around was able to verify utsi_005 so it looks like I have the same problem. But I cant complete moving/editing any of the files becuase they dont exist for some reason.

Any ideas.

Last edited:

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
OKAY, I got it to work, I had to modify your directions to get it to work for some reason, just in case someone else is having problems.

What I did was install a hexeditor on my phone. Open up sdcard/misc.img edited it for the correct UTSI_016 then saved as /sdcard/new-misc.img then entered adb
$ su
# /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/new-misc.img
# exit

reran unrevoked and it worked just fine.

On a side note, I suspect I could have followed your directions directly had I used a $ su instead of $ /system/__unrevoked_su but by the time i figured it out, i was already pretty close to doing it without using adb at all.

Thanks again for the help, I would have never got that figured out without your info. Now time to restore my cyanogen mod 7 and restore some apn info.

Last edited:

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
Well by re ran, i quess I meant I ran it once. I was rooted which broke the MMS, I updated the img file and ran unrevoked in order to fix the mms.

It worked excellent though, I would assume its a wide spread problem for certain carriers. I know it happened to 2 different phone for the carrier I am on.

I flashed cyanogen again, and its being a little difficult getting mms to work, but thats a different issue, and I am sure i will be able to get the right solution after playing/searching/reading.

Thanks again.

deepsix_69

Sep 13, 2009
well, this isnt going so great. I can get mms to work on the stock rom/rooted now (I couldnt before) I tried installing cyanogen back on, and am having no luck.

Any chance you got some pointers on that?

I can get mms to work on the stock rom/rooted now (I couldnt before)
This is actually good news.

If it works on rooted stock when before it would only work on stock before rooting and not after, it means that now you just have the same problems as everyone else with Cyanogen, not a problem specific to the rooting method or the phone's carrier. :p

I haven't tried a non-stock ROM on mine since I squashed this bug. I have a few guesses as to how to fix it, but I need to test them first.

akdale

Oct 30, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
I have a CDMA Desire on the GCI Network in Alaska, rooted with unrevoked with s-off.
Right now the desire is running on USCC Rom.
Everything is working with the exception of MMS.
When I send an MMS, the number 970-111-1111 is attached to the message as my reply to number.
This is not my phone number.
When the message is replied to, an error is returned to the sender, 'Does not subscribe.'.

I suspect that the problem being addressed in this thread is similar.
I have searched for the misc.img file to edit and cannot find it on my phone.
If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
I do not know where to find the correct CID, nor what to do with it when I do find it.
Thanks for any and all input....

I know this issue is a month old, but we may have solved it last night on the unrevoked IRC channel.

I had the same problem, and it turned out it was because unrevoked overwrote my phone's carrier ID and it was using the MMS protocol settings for another company.

The guide here will tell you how to edit your BCID, but it doesn't say how to find the right one if you're already having the problem. http://home.kennynet.co.uk/~kenny/bcid-fix.txt

unrevoked had changed mine to UTSI_005 when it was meant to be UTSI_019. I happened to know my correct one from my previous phone, and some versions of stock CDMA ROMs have a list buried somewhere in them.

If anyone is still having this problem, which is only likely to happen with people on carriers with outsourced MMS gateways like Interop, I'll see if I can get the list.

ipfreelytech

May 13, 2010
Anchorage Alaska
your doing it wrong.

this line: cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img pipes the contents of /mtd0 into misc.img, thus creating the file you were looking for.

the command getprop ro.cid should return the cid value your devices is presently using. when I tried i did not receive a value, instead it echoed the command back to me. if your suspecting your cid has been mangled then this will of course return the incorrect value. for getting the correct value try an s-on gci phone.

you ever tried looking at your logcat when you send mms?

I have a CDMA Desire on the GCI Network in
I do not know where to find the correct CID, nor what to do with it when I do find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: akdale

akdale

Oct 30, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
I managed to get adb working and talking to the desire.

When I type in 'adb shell',
I do not get the $ prompt, but a prompt that says 'sh-3.2#'
I managed to create the misc.img, pull it to my laptop, edit it with a hex editor changing the HTC__005 to the HTC__010 that was on an unrooted gci desire, push it back to my sdcard as new-misc.img.
The following gives an error
'adb shell
$ /system/__unrevoked_su --------------- (No such file or Directory)
# /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/new-misc.img'

I checked, there is a /system---I don't see the unrevoked
Any help is appreciated.

your doing it wrong.

this line: cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img pipes the contents of /mtd0 into misc.img, thus creating the file you were looking for.

the command getprop ro.cid should return the cid value your devices is presently using. when I tried i did not receive a value, instead it echoed the command back to me. if your suspecting your cid has been mangled then this will of course return the incorrect value. for getting the correct value try an s-on gci phone.

akdale

Oct 30, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
Well, I managed to get the file changed, and it shows up in logcat when I send a mms.
This did not cure the 111-1111 phone number problem. In fact, I did not notice any difference at all except for the CID being different in logcat.

decdru

Nov 1, 2010
I have the same problems with my small local carrier. Also I dont have another phone to pull the info from. Nex-tech is the carrier and if anyone could help me get this info so I could change the CID I would appreciate it.
Update:
I spoke to the unrevoked team in irc and unrevoked doesn't change anything that would break mms. With that in mind my piss ant cell provider did an update to their system and all of the sudden mms is working like a champ on rooted bravoc running cm7.

Last edited:

nodor

Dec 9, 2008
So I was able to follow all of these steps. I was also able to pull, edit, then push the files back to the phone. I am not able to make it work and when I do

getprop ro.cid it only shows "getprop ro.cid" but not UTSI_016. But if I then pull the file again from the phone, it does show UTSI_016 just not when running the command getprop ro.cid.

Suggestions?

nodor

Dec 9, 2008
I have been able to make this work on the stock rom, and MMS is back and fully functioning.

I would however like to use Miui again but I cant get it to seem to do the MMS.

rooster1973

Jun 19, 2010
I'm on inland cellular with moto x gen 2. 2 when flashing custom roms I have no service. They don't use apns according to their tech support so how do I pull the needed info out of the stock rom and place it in custom one?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    your doing it wrong.

I have a CDMA Desire on the GCI Network in