Mobile 3g hotspot hack

Search This thread

pattielipp

Apr 26, 2011
South Carolina
www.mytechliving.com
So this is something i have tested working myself. I DO NOT recommend this for everyone simply because you can severely mess up your phone and it's wireless connections.

In a nut shell what this allows you to do is utilize your phones built in 3g mobile hot spot and tethering application without paying the extra $20 a month. The legality of this is questionable so use it at your own risk.

What you need:
Samsung drivers(you can find these)
QPST software download it here

1. Install the samsung driver for our phone, as well as the QPST software
2. Place your phone in modem mode(settings, wireless, enable dial up)
3. Plug in your phone and allow all drivers and everything to install.
4. Load up QPST configuration
5. Navigate to the tab that says ports and select "Add New Port"(if all is well you should have one that says something about usb, or anything about your phone)
6. Once the device is added go to the top menu bar, select "Start Clients" and then "Service Programming"
7. Next select "OK" to the device in the box.

Now for the tricky things where you MUST be careful!
8. at the bottom of this box select "Read from Phone"
9. If the password in the box is not "000000"(six zeros) type it in and click OK.
10. You now want to tab over on the top until you see the tab that says "M. IP" select this.
11. Select Profile 0(it will be the very first one on the top) and select "Edit..."
12. You now should Have two input boxes the first one labled "NAI" and the second "Tethered NAI"
13. Under "Tethered NAI" it should say something similar to "XXXXXXXXXX@dun.vzw3g.com" (the X's refer to your personal number)
14. You need to edit this so that it no longer has "dun" in it,
"XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com"
15. You should now have NAI and Tethered NAI as the same thing. Now click OK and finally "Write to phone"(located in the bottom left). Your phone will reboot its self.

16. Upon first boot you need to go back into settings, wireless, and disable dial up networking. (first time i did this i got a force close with gapps, but did not cause any issues)

If you followed this exactly, you should now have 3g mobile hotspot :)
I must warn you however, if you reprogram your phone via *228 this will go away! so it will have to be performed again.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
ah not to rain on your parade but wouldnt it be easier to just use googles wireles tether 3.0 above and select samsung facinate softap mode pretty much anything will pick that up.

pattielipp

Apr 26, 2011
South Carolina
www.mytechliving.com
Perhaps it would be easier, but it adds extra bloat and just isn't as good as using the original..

Imagine, you want to tether via wireless or wired.. well you simply go into your drawer and select 3g mobile hotspot... So much easier than downloading an app that you are either limited to non secure sights via a wired connection(pda net) or you have to use a tethering app that may or may not work properly, supports only an adhoc connection, has connectivity issues or is just a PITA to setup...

So why not use the app that is already in your app drawer that you can't get away. :)

Give it time and i'll have a patch for exactly this where you won't even need to perform these steps...

Oh, did i mention i can alter the amount of devices you can have connected at once via 3g wireless hotspot, and my speeds over 3g with my rom are coming in between 0.5MB-3MB per second (as of the tests i've done as of now. I just pulled 1.71mb/sec upload sucks, but i'm not uploading things using it. lol)

1658363863.png

Last edited:

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
man i miss unlimited data lol thats what got me into trouble with sprint i pretty much forced my hero to roam of off verizon because theres a tower literaly half a mile from my house and apparantly using over 500mb of data roaming a day is a big no no lol. long story short they sent a letter and i got da boot. now i just have a dsl connection and the 2gig data plan so my bill is only about 10$ more than on sprint.

the moral of this story is becarefull with this because verizon does know what your doing

pattielipp

Apr 26, 2011
South Carolina
www.mytechliving.com
man i miss unlimited data lol thats what got me into trouble with sprint i pretty much forced my hero to roam of off verizon because theres a tower literaly half a mile from my house and apparantly using over 500mb of data roaming a day is a big no no lol. long story short they sent a letter and i got da boot. now i just have a dsl connection and the 2gig data plan so my bill is only about 10$ more than on sprint.

the moral of this story is becarefull with this because verizon does know what your doing

The beauty of this modification is that the regular 3g uses the connection of XXXXXXXXXX@3gvzw.com... When you connect up the 3g wireless hotspot it sets the connection to XXXXXXXXXX@dun.3gvzw.com.. This is how they know you have tethering because verizon sets this connection as active. SOOO what this is actually doing is setting the tethering app to utulize the normal 3g connection. SOOO it looks as if you are simply using the normal 3g connection..
Another way to do this is to run the 3g hotspot and have a widget to turn on and off 3g. When you toggle the connection it sets the connection back to the normal 3g even though you have open 3ghotspot Thus allowing tethering.

trailblazer101

Dec 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
The new wireless tether allows regular connections, not just ADHOC :D
I've done this before, not gonna lie... But I deemed it.... Eh... Not worth it :p also, a lot of people have issues with dropped signal after doing it :p But, it is nifty, no doubt :p I was messing around with qdxm and such since my original enV :p

Sent from my SCH-I400 using xda premium

abby_nitewolf

Aug 10, 2011
The new wireless tether allows regular connections, not just ADHOC :D
I've done this before, not gonna lie... But I deemed it.... Eh... Not worth it :p also, a lot of people have issues with dropped signal after doing it :p But, it is nifty, no doubt :p I was messing around with qdxm and such since my original enV :p

I tried downloading google's Wireless Tether from the android market and it said my device is not supported, did you have this problem? i am running Miunia Rom beta 4

gk438

Nov 19, 2011
I am running the same rom and downloaded Google wireless tether straight from the Google website, no problem at all.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

Last edited:

gk438

Nov 19, 2011
No problem, hope it works for you.

Happy holidays..

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

jmberumenb

Dec 31, 2007
El Paso
Well I tried this

But for some weird reason every time I trie to mod and restart the phone the parameters return to their original setting, Like I didn't do anything to change it.

Is there something wrong?

I used QPST and if I change the vrzw3g something to anything and restart the phone everything goes back to default...

Thanks for any help.....

trailblazer101

Dec 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you can't get it working, I honestly wouldn't struggle with it anymore o_O like I said, this is morally grey/illegal, has caused dropped signal for some fascinate users, can be tracked, and has a lot of good alternatives... Wifi tether is my favorite :)

Top Liked Posts