[Q] root access with ES File Explorer?

Search This thread

bfollowell

Dec 30, 2011
Will someone please help me get root access with ES File Explorer?

I was looking for a good file explorer utility with a root explorer feature. I already had ES File Explorer installed and saw that it supposedly has a root explorer feature. Well, I've searched all through it and I must be missing something because I can't find any way to explore anything on my NT except for the sd card.

I've went into the settings, down to the Root settings and checked Root Explorer and Mount File System but this hasn't seemed to help. I see no way to "get to" the root directory. If I try using the up arrow to move up a level in the directory tree, I can't get up any further than the sd card. It just say press again to close.

What am I missing?

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help get to where I want to be.

- Byron

Igthorn

Jan 14, 2012
If you don't want to change your home directory to '/', you hit favorites and hit the icon that looks like a phone. That should take you to '/'. I think that's what the icon looked like. Anyways it's in the favorites menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: mabussg

wedmiston

Jan 6, 2012
I have the little phone icon so I assume I'm in the root directory. Next question - since this is where the additional 12 GB of space is, is there a "best place" to put my files that I don't want to tote around on my sd card? We're talking music, docs, etc.

Also - Is there a method so I can see "/" when connected to my laptop? Would rather move files directly to the root directory than have to copy to sd card then copy/paste to "/"

Last edited:

darkangelndd

Jan 20, 2012
in the setting, tick all the boxes for "root settings" then from the "/" directory, you will be able to access the internal storage and others ( sd, 1gb space allowance)

wedmiston

Jan 6, 2012
What I meant was, is there any specific folder under "/" that I should put my own stuff in, or maybe create a new one?

Igthorn

Jan 14, 2012
B&N put all the reserved free space in '/data'. See this thread for workarounds. Accessing it via USB is another story, so you'll probably need to copy files to the 1gb partition then move it. Another option would be to use Wifi File Manager. Depending on the speeds you get via USB it may not be a bad alternative.

Reactions: wedmiston

wedmiston

Jan 6, 2012
When using ES File Explorer to move music files from /data to /data/media it says "invalid path." When I tried moving it to a new folder I created under /data, it also failed.

Questions:
1. Is every folder under /data locked away from access thru ES File Explorer?
2. Is my only option to store content directly under /data?

jigneshal

Oct 19, 2012
Root the Access.

hi..

I have ES File Explorer installed and i want to install other font(.ttf). but when try to copy from sdcard and paste in '/system/font' folder, it shows an error : copy failed.
In Setting --> Root Setting, only first two options are enabled 1) Root Explorer and 2) Up to Root. other two 3) Mount File System and 4) Backup System Apps are disabled.

Also, when I try to check 1st one Root Explorer, it shows an error:
When 'SU Request' dialog popup, please select 'always allow'

can any one help me to install font in my android device?

Thanks<script type=

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In settings, and you need to set home directory as "/". Then you'll have access to the entire file system.
    duh! That was so easy. Now I really feel like an idiot.

I think my wife is right. Sometimes I can make even the simplest things seem soooo hard...

Thanks for your help guys.

- Byron
    If you don't want to change your home directory to '/', you hit favorites and hit the icon that looks like a phone. That should take you to '/'. I think that's what the icon looked like. Anyways it's in the favorites menu.
    B&N put all the reserved free space in '/data'. See this thread for workarounds. Accessing it via USB is another story, so you'll probably need to copy files to the 1gb partition then move it. Another option would be to use Wifi File Manager. Depending on the speeds you get via USB it may not be a bad alternative.