[Q] 4.1.2 battery drain

Search This thread

simsing

Jan 23, 2013
Hi!

So I have updated my unrooted Note 2 to version 4.1.2 and below describes what happened:

1. Battery drain very fast, can't even last 24 hours. The battery details show "Android System" chugging all my battery juices.

2. On 2nd day, I tried "Factory reset" on Settings menu but still my battery drains very fast by "Android System".

3. On 4th day, I installed Kies on my PC and did the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization". Noticed an improvement in battery life but after 4 hours, I noticed "Android OS" is now taking his turn to chug all my battery juices.

4. On 5th day, woke up and noticed battery drained >20% by "Android OS".

5. 6th day (today), I did another "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" on Kies and now I noticed "Android System" took over and took over >29% battery usage in under 1 hour.

6. Now, I am running "Firmware Upgrade and Initilization" for the 3rd time and is hoping for the best.

Question:
Should I root my device and downgrade to 4.1.1? Before update to 4.1.2, it can last almost 2 days.

Thanks for your help!!

Dmwitz

Dec 25, 2010
Umeå
I had a similar problem and discovered that "gpsd" on my phone was causing the drain. This system also required other systems whiqh together used about 45% of the battery. The "gpsd" is the system samsung uses to track your phone (if you have enabed it). It did not cause this drain on my phone prior to the update.
I hope this helps.

simsing

Jan 23, 2013
Thanks...

I had a similar problem and discovered that "gpsd" on my phone was causing the drain. This system also required other systems whiqh together used about 45% of the battery. The "gpsd" is the system samsung uses to track your phone (if you have enabed it). It did not cause this drain on my phone prior to the update.
I hope this helps.

Hey thanks for your input. Would you be able to explain in more details on how to disable this "gpsd" thing you mentioned?

I would like to try it out myself :p

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I have no battery drain issues (yet) on the 4.1.2 could be just the vocal minority experiencing it or idk.

HypoDest

Oct 15, 2012
I have no battery drain issues (yet) on the 4.1.2 could be just the vocal minority experiencing it or idk.

On average I also don't observe a significant overall battery drain. Am currently projecting about 7-8 hours of screen time which is about the same as with before. Also having the same very low overnight drain.

However a few oddities:
Android system is higher on the battery charts than in 4.1.1.
I was playing nfs_mw before and after the update, and there is a significant increase in battery drain in 4.1.2. A full battery used to give over 4 hours of gametime, now gives just over 1 hour.

I've also not seem anyone else mentioning this and I'm not sure if this is related to battery but:
4.1.2 is absolutely perfect butter smooth
Every animation and transition had been completely fluid and going from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 was like upgrading from 50% to 100% project butter.

Sent from my GT-N7100

fade2black101

Jun 18, 2006
North London
I have downgraded but version 4.1.1 doesn't give me the option to switch to 2G only data mode!! Only 2G/3G/4G or 3G only!

This is essential as where I live my 3G keeps cutting out, and I get frequent loss of service. Is there any way to get this option back???

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Roughly about 1% per 7-8hours depending on the current battery level, are you losing more ?

sz1a

Jun 22, 2010
I downgraded to 4.1.1 by downloading the appropriate firmware from sammobile.com and flashing as pda with odin. I then flashed the perseus kernel which has the sudden death bug fix built in. Perseus is not prerooted but it doesn't have to be, at least it protects the phone from sudden death as I had the faulty chip in mine. I got 40 hours standby and 4 hours screen on out of it now, all accounts syncing with Google now and Samsung tracking service. happy to have switched back to 4.1.1, all I miss is the snappier s note from 4.1.2.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

hannarecord

Aug 29, 2012
beirut
Hello guys I have this problem also In my note 2 after updating to 4.1.2 my battery drain like 10% for 20 min in idle
Factory reset dosen't solve the problem
I just wipe data and cache from recovery mode beleive me now its better than before I am using it for 1 day 14 hours I still have 49% on heavy usage with H+ connection
Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda premium

Last edited:

simsing

Jan 23, 2013
Hope it get fixed soon...

Last night I disabled "Google Location Services". It is under Settings > Accounts > Google > Location Settings

This is what I noticed.

Before I sleep, after I finished charging at 16min my Android Services spiked up almost 50%...

When I woke up, this is what I saw... 9% total drain and Android Services went up to 54%...

Not too bad comparing to a few days ago when I first updated.

So is there anything I can do without needing to root my phone?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-25-01-17-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-01-17-25.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 501
  • Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-25-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-25-54.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 471

samnote2

Jan 8, 2013
Hello guys I have this problem also In my note 2 after updating to 4.1.2 my battery drain like 10% for 20 min in idle
Factory reset dosen't solve the problem
I just wipe data and cache from recovery mode beleive me now its better than before I am using it for 1 day 14 hours I still have 49% on heavy usage with H+ connection
Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda premium

I have the same problem like You :(

MarionCast

Oct 20, 2012
Can confirm this issue. Used to get 5-6 hours screen on time on 4.1.1 on a normal day (moderate to heavy usage).

Now I can't even reach 3 hours on 4.1.2. I already did a hard reset. No change.

Can installing a custom ROM solve this?

Top Liked Posts