ROM and ROOT for LG Optimus LTE P936

Search This thread

alexw88

Jul 23, 2012
Background

1. P936 stock rom cannot be rooted by current methods
2. The only rom that can be rooted is the leaked AT&T ICS rom : xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668476
3. But CWM recovery cannot install successfully on the above rom
4. So you have to flash back to original P936's V10C_00.kdz WHILE keeping the phone rooted
5. Now you can install CWM recovery and flash CM9

I followed the instruction here to get my P936 rooted and install CM9, however the instruction is hard to follow :
bbs.gfan.com/android-4546670-1-1.html

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Here is a more detailed instruction :

Files you need :
1. keepRoot tool : https :// rapidshare.com/files/192745915/keepRoot.rar
2. kdz flash tool : https :// rapidshare.com/files/688747034/KDZ_Tools.rar
3. P936's stock rom - V10c_00.kdz

Steps:
1. Make sure your phone is P936
2. Power off phone, press volume up and plugin PC cable, to start the download mode
3. Follow xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668476 to flash AT&T ICS rom
4. Follow page 6 of the above post to root your phone using TPSparkyRoot
5. Power off
6. Wipe data/cache (see * below)
7. Turn on usb debug mode, connect as PC software with usb
8. run keepRoot's "before.bat"
9. flash v10c_00.kdz (using kdz flash tool), following instruction at bbs.gfan.com/android-3321012-1-1.html
10. After flashing is finished completely, the phone will reboot and stuck at the 2nd LG logo screen, Do NOT wipe data!
11. While it is stuck at the 2nd logo screen, run keepRoot's after.bat
12. The phone may keep rebooting, just pull the battery
13. Wipe data and cache (see * below)
14. Now you have rooted phone with its stock rom, and you can install CWM recovery 5.8.2.0 and flash CM9

* To Wipe data/cache, disconnect your phone cable, power off, press volume down + power button until you enter the LG recovery mode, when you see the white text to ask you to confirm wipe phone user data and cache, press power button to confirm (twice). Then the phone will reboot and go to a reset screen with progress bar. Wait until that is done and the phone will reboot with factory setting.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

After flashing CM9, if you want to enable LTE, you need to dial *#*#4636#*#*, then select Phone Info, then select LTE/GSM auto mode.

Last edited:

903idcop

May 23, 2010
Background

2. The only rom that can be rooted is the leaked AT&T ICS rom : xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668476
4. So you have to flash back to original P936's V10C_00.kdz WHILE keeping the phone rooted

I followed the instruction here to get my P936 rooted and install CM9, however the instruction is hard to follow :

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Files you need :

Steps:
2. Power off phone, press volume up and plugin PC cable, to start the download mode
5. Power off
9. flash v10c_00.kdz (using kdz flash tool), following instruction at bbs.gfan.com/android-3321012-1-1.html
10. After flashing is finished completely, the phone will reboot and stuck at the 2nd LG logo screen, Do NOT wipe data!
14. Now you have rooted phone with its stock rom, and you can install CWM recovery 5.8.2.0 and flash CM9

* To Wipe data/cache, disconnect your phone cable, power off, press volume down + power button until you enter the LG recovery mode, when you see the white text to ask you to confirm wipe phone user data and cache, press power button to confirm (twice). Then the phone will reboot and go to a reset screen with progress bar. Wait until that is done and the phone will reboot with factory setting.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

After flashing CM9, if you want to enable LTE, you need to dial *#*#4636#*#*, then select Phone Info, then select LTE/GSM auto mode.

Hi Alex, this is Alex from Hong Kong and I have just got a P936 today. Everything went well until step 9 - flashing the v10c_00.kdz... the KDZ_FW_UPD has force closed... and I have tried a few times, also restarted my computer a few times... still the same. And my phone has been stuck at Download Mode whenever I turn it on. So now I am flashing the leaked ICS again to see if there are any luck... (actually, except it's stuck at 2G signal, I liked the ICS rom pretty much... ><). So what did I do wrong? Thanks and hopefully you could guide me a little bit more into details... thanks!!!

Last but not least, I saw there is a latest 4.0.4 for LU6200 just released... is that suitable for our P936?

alexw88

Jul 23, 2012
I tried a XP PC and a Win7 64bit PC and both works ok, not sure about Win7 32 bits. May be you can try flashing using another PC?
Or you can try to use other KDZ flash method/program to flash the V10c_00.kdz

If anything goes wrong, just put the phone in download mode and you can at least flash the at&t ics rom, and start again from there.

I never tried the 6200 rom you mentioned, so I am not sure.

Good luck!

Reactions: 903idcop

903idcop

May 23, 2010
I tried a XP PC and a Win7 64bit PC and both works ok, not sure about Win7 32 bits. May be you can try flashing using another PC?

If anything goes wrong, just put the phone in download mode and you can at least flash the at&t ics rom, and start again from there.

Good luck!

Hi Alex... I finally got the 2.3.6 flashed with ROOT... figured out what went wrong! I should have pressed "Read Phone Information" on the lower left corner instead of the HUGE Upgrade button in the middle... hahahaha... now I am flashing the CM9-RC2...

Again, thanks a lot for the tutorial! Cheers! And thanks a lot for the developers!!! I will definitely spend some times to have a more details tutorial for the Chinese forums later on as I also see that quite a lot of people were suffering more or less similar problems I have had.

903idcop

May 23, 2010

Good luck!

By the way Alex... have been using it since my last reply and everything works great except 2 things... (which are actually quite important for me...)
1. WiFi tethering not working...
2. Occasionally the screen doesn't wake, have to pull off the battery and reboot it. And sometimes it rebooted by itself...

Any idea? And by the way... my baseband is unknown, is that why it cannot get WiFi tether working?

Thanks in advance, cheers! :fingers-crossed:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Linux or OS X.

Say one doesn't have any access whatsoever to Windows, actual or VM... Any way to root this device on Linux or ( maybe ) OS X ?

My not so epic search skills don't help much.

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
If your phone's on Gingerbread it might be possible to execute the zergrush exploit from Linux/OS X to root your phone, but otherwise you really probably need Windows.

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
If your phone's on Gingerbread it might be possible to execute the zergrush exploit from Linux/OS X to root your phone, but otherwise you really probably need Windows.

It has LG's stock 2.3.6. I thought zergrush would not work, based on the post I quote below :

Background

... ( etc )

So, no one actually knows if it works ? ( I don't have the device with me or I would try myself at once... )

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
Background

Files you need :

Steps:
5. Power off

I could never actually get this to work. The directions state to run the after bat file when the phone hangs on the second LG logo. For me it never hangs. Now I could get this to work going from v18f to V20c and those directions state to run the after bat file during the AT&T splash screen. Should I then presume that the after bat file needs to be run during the V10C_00.kdz splash screen AFTER the second LG logo?

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
I could never actually get this to work. The directions state to run the after bat file when the phone hangs on the second LG logo. For me it never hangs. Now I could get this to work going from v18f to V20c and those directions state to run the after bat file during the AT&T splash screen. Should I then presume that the after bat file needs to be run during the V10C_00.kdz splash screen AFTER the second LG logo?

This method will not work if you use UpTestEX_mode2_marwin.exe to flash the KDZ (like the unbricking guide uses). You must use KDZ_FW_UPD.exe to flash the KDZ and it will work.

Reactions: Swetnes and arda99

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
This method will not work if you use UpTestEX_mode2_marwin.exe to flash the KDZ (like the unbricking guide uses). You must use KDZ_FW_UPD.exe to flash the KDZ and it will work.

Thank you so much. Leave it to me to have made this complicated. And to think I literally spent all weekend trying to get it to work, lol.

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Thank you so much. Leave it to me to have made this complicated. And to think I literally spent all weekend trying to get it to work, lol.

By the way, I should clarify something: You can't use the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe that comes with the unbricking guide. You need to use the one that comes with the KDZ_Tools archive. The link that alexw88 gave is dead now, but here's a mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5n31gt6tknr2gdn (This one is a zip instead of a rar, but it has all the same files, I double checked all the MD5sums.)

You'll notice when you open this one it has all the boxes grayed out. This is why you need Windows Enabler. It allows you to "enable" the grayed out boxes so you can interact with them and use the program. Important: Windows Enabler must be run as administrator to work on Windows 7!

Reactions: Swetnes

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
By the way, I should clarify something: You can't use the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe that comes with the unbricking guide. You need to use the one that comes with the KDZ_Tools archive. The link that alexw88 gave is dead now, but here's a mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5n31gt6tknr2gdn (This one is a zip instead of a rar, but it has all the same files, I double checked all the MD5sums.)

You'll notice when you open this one it has all the boxes grayed out. This is why you need Windows Enabler. It allows you to "enable" the grayed out boxes so you can interact with them and use the program. Important: Windows Enabler must be run as administrator to work on Windows 7!

I am having force close issues with the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe app. I even went to the extent as to uninstall everything I had on computer for my phone and go step by step following this: bbs.gfan.com/android-3321012-1-1.html I created a new user account and still same issue. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I am trying this same procedure in a Windows XP VM to see if I get any different results.....OK I figured it out, again I had to make this way to complex...I needed to click on "Read phone information".

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background

Files you need :

Steps:
    5. Power off

Good luck!