[Q]Erratic WiFi after 3.24.531.3 Update. Turns off when trying to connect to network

Search This thread

Morencyam

Jul 2, 2011
Cincinnati
A few days ago I got a software update notification for 3.24.531.3. I ran the update and everything seemed to work fine. But when the phone rebooted I noticed I was no longer connected to my WiFi. I figured I just had to retype the password because of the software update. I typed in the password and hot "connect" and the phone froze for a few seconds. Then it flashed an error message say "unable to connect to network" and the WiFi turned off. So I tried connecting to an unsecured network and the same thing happened. So now my WiFi isn't working at all.

At the time, I was completely stock, not root, locked bootloader, nothing. So I though maybe unlocking, rooting, and flashing a custom ROM would fix the problem. I've tried a few different ROMs and they all have the same problem. I can turn the WiFi on and scan, but as soon as I try to connect to any network it freezes and turns off. I even get an error message say that "Settings has become unresponsive" and asks to send an error report to HTC.

Then today, I got another software update message saying there is another software update available but I can't download it since I can't connect to WiFi at all.

Any ideas what I can do to fix the problem?

Morencyam

Jul 2, 2011
Cincinnati
Go to your settings and rename your phone "HTC One"

Problem solved.

Thanks for your reply

I've tried that. I got it renamed in the WiFi Direct setting and in the About>Phone Identity settings, but when I type in the password it hangs then pops up with "failed to connect to network" and when that closes the WiFi is turned off. It's like the WiFi turns itself off while it's trying to connect.

I've gone through and turned off all the Power Save and Sleep settings thinking that was causing the problem, but that didn't do anything either.

Morencyam

Jul 2, 2011
Cincinnati
Just flashed with a Stock 3.24.531.1 RUU and still getting the same problem. WiFi turns on and off erratically. I restored my google setting which saved my home WiFi password and it connectst to the network, but has no internet. And everytime I try to change the WiFi Direct name to "HTC One" it "fails to rename device" and WiFi is turned off. Hopefully now that I'm back to stock I can use internet pass through to download the new software update and that fixes the problem.