NFS or SMB

Search This thread

suku_patel_22

Jun 22, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
I have just ordered my RaspberryPi, and I plan on using it for below.

1. Connect my powered 2TB external HDD to it and make a NAS
2. Use it as a torrent client
3. Play movies on the HDD using XBMC
4. Run lightppd to share my files on the internet.

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
2. Will the little machine be able to handle the load of all 4 tasks?
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Tapatalked from Desire S running Andromadus

Reactions: jayc137

ZachOlauson

Apr 18, 2011

Coming to my questions
1. Would it be possible to install the distro on a separate partition one the HDD? I plan to format the HDD using ext4.
3. Should I use NFS over SMB? I plan to access the files of the share on Linux, Windows and Android.

1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
1: I would use a bootloader like BerryBoot to install the distro on the hard drive, I think its possible, Ive only installed on a flash drive and SD Card, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

2. It might be able to handle it but cant say for sure. On mine I am using XBMC and streaming movies from my desktop and I am using nearly 400mb of RAM but I think the CPU load is okay.

3. Not sure on this one, I use SMB but my laptop is broken so I dont have linux running on any of my machines, but Windows and Android works just fine, and I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote for XBMC.

SMB is compatible with linux and Windows natively, however if you intend to stream HD video at all NFS would be better. My NAS uses both, NFS to stream to my pi running xbmc, and samba for windows machines/android devices. I also running a upnp server for remote streaming to my phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

ratchetnclank

Nov 9, 2008
Samba has slow speeds on the pi typically 7-8Mbps compared to the usual 25-40 i get from my drive.

stephj

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 2, 2007
Lancashire
The Pi's 'ROM/BIOS' boot code attempts to bootstrap from the SD. If there is nothing where it expects it to be it won't start.

You would need some code to transfer startup to the external hard disk.

Imanol Barba

Feb 26, 2013
AFAIK, the raspberry pi can boot partitions from an external USB drive, what it actually boots is the GPU executable which loads a kernel, then it can bootstrap an USB HDD.

For the SMB or NFS matter, NFS usually provides higher throughput than SMB, and Windows can mount NFS based hosts, I'd go for that if you plan to see some performance.

io53

Oct 25, 2010
As said, NFS have smaller overhead than SMB. So use that if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

sioxz

Sep 8, 2012
lidköping
i have a Samba server and i can Stream Full HD whit no problems (maybe a littel slow in the Begining nothing more) 1TB 2.0USB HDD NTFS

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
You should give transmission-daemon and transmission gui (transgui) a try. You can push files via the Internet if you have your port forwarding set up correctly.

I have a slightly different setup that has Apache providing ssl for transmission-daemon

EDIT

You can also set it up with transdroid on Android. I believe transdroid also works with r Torrent.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2013
NFS is faster than SMB. If you are reasonably Linux-savvy, you should have no issues setting it up. I serve NFS to my Win 7 torrent box from OpenIndiana. Setting up Win7 as an NFS client is a bit more complicated.

=RV=

oribunokiyuusou

Jan 2, 2013
I found samba had lag on HD vids. I still use samba on my windows and android devices, buti never stream HD to them

I hope you're talking about megabits per second. You can get 7~8 Megabytes per second with SAMBA and you can get the full 12 megabytes (100megabits) per second with NFS, but never more than that.

In most cases, samba is enough, but I've seen two or three videos with imense video and sound quality that SAMBA simply can't keep up. NFS saves the day. The 100 megabit ethernet can be a real bottleneck though.

NFS is faster than SMB. If you are reasonably Linux-savvy, you should have no issues setting it up. I serve NFS to my Win 7 torrent box from OpenIndiana. Setting up Win7 as an NFS client is a bit more complicated.

=RV=

Setting up the NFS is really quite a bit of trouble for a first-timer. Windows doesn't play well you don't have the no_root_squash option on the server. After that though, all l you need is a bat script with "mount <NFS_SERVER_IP>://<SHARE>/<FOLDER> <DRIVE>:". Don't forget to enable NFS client first.

Either that or use nekodrive and dokan.

Last edited:

hazysight

Jan 17, 2013
Austin
i have a Samba server and i can Stream Full HD whit no problems (maybe a littel slow in the Begining nothing more) 1TB 2.0USB HDD NTFS

yeah same here samba runs very smooth for my 3D/1080p movie streams.

I recommend changing up the settings(disable firewall etc) increase buffer size and overclock.

Nypan sr

Aug 11, 2013
There were bechmarktests done by a user in the OpenELEC forum.
As you can see the difference isn't that great:
FTP was faster than SMB by 1.57%
NFS was faster than FTP by 5.65%
And finally NFS was faster than SMB by 7.22%

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Coming to my questions

Coming to my questions