Sudden Overnight Battery Drain

Search This thread

smakcruiser

May 2, 2014
Has anyone else experienced any issues like this? Over the past week my Nexus 5 has been going through about 60% battery over night. In the past I would at most use 5-7%. I posted a couple pictures of my battery usage. I live in an area where my signal is always LTE and usually 1-3 bars. I do not have any new apps, location, gps and pretty much all google services SHOULD be off...

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 396
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 379

raptir

May 4, 2010
Has anyone else experienced any issues like this? Over the past week my Nexus 5 has been going through about 60% battery over night. In the past I would at most use 5-7%. I posted a couple pictures of my battery usage. I live in an area where my signal is always LTE and usually 1-3 bars. I do not have any new apps, location, gps and pretty much all google services SHOULD be off...

If you tap on the graph itself you'll be able to see if the phone was awake frequently or if it was losing signal, etc...

If you're seeing that the phone was awake often, try BetterBatteryStats to see what is keeping your phone awake.

CitizenLee

Aug 21, 2009
Aberdeen
Wakelock Detector is another app to try and pin down the problem.

Also, maybe try wifi overnight instead of LTE to see if that might be the issue.

smakcruiser

May 2, 2014
its your signal quality killing your battery. you have phone idle and cell standby taking most your battery.

I guess, but I dont know why all of a sudden it is doing it. My cell signal has remained the same at home since I got the phone in January. Unless for whatever reason it is dropping out all night...

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I guess, but I dont know why all of a sudden it is doing it. My cell signal has remained the same at home since I got the phone in January. Unless for whatever reason it is dropping out all night...

What is especially strange is it appears you're on WiFi, and yet both the voice and data connection seem to be causing the largest drain here.

Tap the graph so we can get an idea of what the awake times and signal strength was like.

frag2

Jan 30, 2009
I have a similar gripe and I pinned mine down to stupid photos uploading overnight via wifi and a bunch of other wifi related crap....pretty much network things causing battery drain. also the auto update's killing it for google play stuff.

I found that switching to dalvik and back to ART [which i was on] helped a bit though i supposed there's a process running somewhere in the background that's buggy...here's hoping 4.4.x fixes it

Mike585

May 3, 2014
Switch to ART cleared it for me

I also saw the same. Turning off functions, etc. had no effect, but switching form Dalvik to ART did. I'm guessing that the change probably cleared something in the OS that was actually causing the problem. Note that the reported sources of battery usage are almost the same in both images, even though battery usage rate is vastly different.

I've attached two screen shots before and after the runtime switch. The red arrow on the before image is when I made the runtime change.

Attachments

• Before.PNG
    Before.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 259
  • after.PNG
    after.PNG
    114.8 KB · Views: 240

smakcruiser

May 2, 2014
I also saw the same. Turning off functions, etc. had no effect, but switching form Dalvik to ART did. I'm guessing that the change probably cleared something in the OS that was actually causing the problem. Note that the reported sources of battery usage are almost the same in both images, even though battery usage rate is vastly different.

I've attached two screen shots before and after the runtime switch. The red arrow on the before image is when I made the runtime change.

This is a shot from last night. I went to bed with about 50% battery life and woke up with a dead phone. Looks like cell signal maybe...

I am already using ART, but maybe I should switch back to dalvik and back to art like someone suggested earlier.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

jc monkeyballs

Nov 24, 2008
I've noticed more battery drain as well as reduced cell signal. My phone is losing connection in areas where I'd previously have 1-2 bars. I was thinking T-Mobile was changing things on their towers, but I'm starting to see other Nexus 5 owners complaining about it as well. Did they update something in the background on our phones?

D

Darth

You REALLY need to get Gsam and take some screens from it after a night. The stock battery usage screen shots say very little of use.

Otherwise we're are all just guessing here. ;)

Mike585

May 3, 2014
I am already using ART, but maybe I should switch back to dalvik and back to art like someone suggested earlier.
It's worth a shot, and I, for one, am curious to see if it helps.

FWIW, I just noticed that my battery usage is increasing significantly again. So, I may try the same thing if it persists.

I'd say there is definitely a bug somewhere, possibly interacting with an app or a subset of apps. Are you using Tasker, by any chance?

Mike585

May 3, 2014
You REALLY need to get Gsam and take some screens from it after a night. The stock battery usage screen shots say very little of use.Otherwise we're are all just guessing here.
Good point.

As I noted in my previous post, my phone started chewing battery again yesterday. No evident trigger, battery usage rate just went up abruptly. I recharged the phone and then left it asleep over night. Images below captured this morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-48.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-30.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-32-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-32-01.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 155
D

Darth

Good point.

As I noted in my previous post, my phone started chewing battery again yesterday. No evident trigger, battery usage rate just went up abruptly. I recharged the phone and then left it asleep over night. Images below captured this morning.

Obvious culprits are WiFi and radio. Check in gsam (might be too late if you charged) for kernel Wakelocks. Or try wakelock detector app.

You could have a WiFi issue caused by other devices on your network. Would have to search on that for causes and cures. I'm not sure. I only know its been an issue.

And you appear to have no radio signal at all. If you go in to radio screen from main gsam screen, it will tell you your time searching for signal. That can destroy battery life.

It doesn't seem to he an app. Or general held awake time...as you have hardly any.

Putting phone in airplane mode over night would prove its WiFi or radio.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If a night of airplane mode is no better, then its a rogue app. That you'd need to track down. Process of elimination style.

But its probably either WiFi or radio signal. I guess if you have location service on, it could be adding to the trouble.

Turning off WiFi would show if its WiFi....or radio. But with very poor radio signal....I know you're battery will take a beating anyway.

Last edited:

Mike585

May 3, 2014
Obvious culprits are WiFi and radio. Putting phone in airplane mode over night would prove its WiFi or radio..
What's puzzling to me is that it was not an issue until a week ago, then converting to ART made it go away temporarily.
My radio signal is poor, but it's always that way at home. I definitely plan to see what airplane mode does. Will report results.

Thanks for your help.

smakcruiser

May 2, 2014
What's puzzling to me is that it was not an issue until a week ago, then converting to ART made it go away temporarily.
My radio signal is poor, but it's always that way at home. I definitely plan to see what airplane mode does. Will report results.

Thanks for your help.

These images are from last night. I went to sleep with about 55 percent and woke up with 31%. The screenies are from betterbatterystats. Maybe you guys see something...

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 62

Mike585

May 3, 2014
Definitely radio in my case

kj2112, you were right on. :good:

Running in airplane mode removes all serious battery drain on my Nexus 5. If I turn WIFI on, there is only minor battery usage. I've installed OpenSignal and will try monitoring radio reception vs. battery drain.

I'm still puzzled by the sudden onset (could be a problem with my nearest tower, I suppose), and the fact that switching from Dalvik to ART dramatically improved battery life for a few days. That's hard to link to the poor cell signal.

I'm still suspicious that there is a software component, that may or may not be interacting with my cell signal strength.

Mike585

May 3, 2014
Follup up / more info

Based on posts on other forums, I tried excluding LTE from my preferred network types, and my battery usage improved dramatically. If I choose 3G, signal strength is 2-3 bars. 2G gives me 4-5 bars. With LTE I get 0-1 bars - mostly 0. On 2G my battery life is the best I've ever seen

My suspicion is that the sudden change I saw was caused by a change in the way the radio software selects network speed options. It appears that if the preferred network type selected is LTE, the phone now will expend maximum effort continually to connect to LTE, even if there is no useful signal available. Before the change, it's likely that a stronger LTE signal was required before the phone would attempt a connection.

I'm not sure if the OS determines where that set point is located or if it's something the carrier can control. If it's the carrier then maybe the Nexus 5 has a radio that isn't as efficient as other phones, and the current algorithm is pegged to the best case phone.

If anyone knows how to adjust the conditions for attempting to connect to LTE or has any ides about who does control it, I'd definitely like to know. For now, I set my phone to 2G or 3G when I'm in a poor LTE reception area (which with T-Mobile is most of the time). That actually works okay for me, but I doubt it's a solution for everyone.