Sprint Network Vison / LTE / Wimax rumor thread [UPDATED 9/15]

Search This thread

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
I just wanted to start this thread to ask if any insiders or users such as yourselves have any new information regarding wimax expansion, LTE deployment or any other type of rumors that point to us getting better services in the future. Any timelines on deployment or hints at them are appreciated.

Update: All will be revealed October 7, God willing

Update 2: It looks like Sprint might be upgrading the existing EVDO Rev A network to Rev B. also a new video on network vision

Korey says the rev b upgrade is bs. :(

What I have heard:

Network Vision:

A new program to replace all existing cell sites with all new hardware which is backed by fiber optics (yes!!! no more 150k 3g) and works with all technologies on all frequencies possible (CDMA 800/1900), (Wimax 2500) and (LTE 800/1900/2500(Clear)/1600(lightsquared?))

EDIT: New image
2__Slide5.jpg

Credit: Evan702

Credit: Korey_Nicholson

Light Squared LTE partnership:

Sprint is rumored to be negotiating with light squared to piggyback their network on sprint's towers further increasing the quality of sprint's lte network.

Edit: The deal is either done or close to complete. source
Credit: boliviano3

Edit 2: It looks like lightsquared has vacated the spectrum which interfered with GPS in favor of some other spectrum. They claim the GPS interference is no longer an issue. If it's true we could see 1400/1600mhz lte in 2013.

LightSquared announces 'solution' for GPS issue, says LTE network will roll out on schedule

Bloomberg said:
“LightSquared and Sprint will jointly develop, deploy and operate LightSquared’s 4G LTE network,” according to the letter. “Sprint will become a significant customer of LightSquared’s 4G LTE network.”

It's also worth noting that this network will operate in the 1600mhz spectrum and due to GPS providers illegal use of this spectrum, the lte network will interfere with vital high precision GPS used in agriculture.

Basically, John Deere is squatting on LightSquared's spectrum but there is nothing we can do about it because we need their products for food production.

Clear Moving to LTE:

It's a done deal the question is when. It's still using that nasty 2500mhz spectrum so I'm not all that interested.

What it all means:

The network vision upgrade should result in a dramatic increase in network speed because the back haul to the new towers is fiber optics meaning they won't be choked for bandwidth under the load of heavy smartphone use.

Vision should also lead to much better coverage in building and out because of the use of the old iDen (nextel) 800mhz frequency. 800mhz is why Verizon and US Cellular have the coverage they do. One 800mhz tower can serve the same coverage area three 1900mhz towers do. Sprint intends to switch all towers to use this frequency as well as 1900mhz when the 800mhz network is at capacity.

The light squared deal is a win-win for Sprint despite the controversy surrounding the interference Lightsquared causes with GPS. Unlike the situation they face with Clear today, Lightsqared will actually be paying Sprint to use their network. This could expedite the deployment of LTE for Sprint with the financial incentives Lightsquared will provide.

TL;DR

If the rumors are true Sprints network will be by far the best in the country. If you know something please tell us. I tire of Sprint's silence on their future plans (I want 1500kbps 3g/10mbps wimax nao!).

Even owners of Wimax devices (us) will see an improvement in overall coverage and speed as Sprint converts all towers to use Wimax and 800 mhz cdma (as well as lte).

Last edited:

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Sweet. This would be great. My 3g is not 190k. It just says DEATH in a speed check. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

TexasLTE

Apr 11, 2011
Texas
I have not heard anything more than what you posted ... but it does sound good for us (eventually) ;)

Marlinsfan88

Jun 14, 2010
Orlando, FL
I hope it comes true and quickly... The market is moving really fast right now and Sprint is starting to feel like is going to fall behind again...

i agree. releasing 4G before anyone was a great move and increased their revenue, regardless of the loss it reported from 2010(less of a loss than 2007-2009 for sure) but now that ATT, and big red have released LTE, sprint is already behind, atleast to those who know the difference in the types of 4g anyway. this will deff be a great step in the right direction for the company. now if only they would release a SGS2 WITH a keyboard ill be set lol oh well, maybe when SGS3 comes out =P ill probably still have my epic by then anyway hahahahaha

TexasLTE

Apr 11, 2011
Texas
I hear you on the "keyboard" feature ... the AWESOME Screen Display and Physical Keyboard are what made me get the EPIC instead of EVO .... hopefully SGS3 !!! ;)

AngelosDracul

Ohhhh man, this perks me up! I, too, got the epic after many months of research (and seeing every one of my friends who own Evo's replacing them every two or three months due to cracked/broken screens). I really hate the Evo for it's weight, but hate it even more because of its lack of keyboard.

Now back on topic. When I got my phone, I did the research on the networks, and was REALLY bummed that Verizon has the better speeds and coverage, whereas a few years ago, it was the opposite. *sigh*

I would really like to see this happen fast. My coverage where I live is bad, and we only have 3G right now (which I cannot complain about, but do when it does not work... which means A LOT of complaining).

Everything else about this awesome phone? AMAZING. Glad I chose it instead of the others. Just sayin.

DroidApprentice

Nov 7, 2010
I would like the technical controversy of whether WiMax handsets could ever be easily upgraded to support LTE laid to rest, yea or nay. I suspect nay, and since they expect 2 year or less upgrades for users, maybe it's a non-issue.

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
I would like the technical controversy of whether WiMax handsets could ever be easily upgraded to support LTE laid to rest, yea or nay. I suspect nay, and since they expect 2 year or less upgrades for users, maybe it's a non-issue.

There is a chance they could be but, it is slim because the only lte band our phones could support is 2500mhz from Clear so it wouldn't improve coverage much (Vison will because of more towers but it will still be spotty) but speed could go up a bit.

I think it would be pointless though. They would be better off uncapping the Wimax speeds (which would make them more or less the same speeds as LTE ~ up to 40mbps). I would say most likely they keep the wimax caps (maybe ease up a little on the upload cap) and leave the phones with Wimax.

Last edited:

Zor Omega

May 18, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I was happy that Sprint made the first move with 4G. WiMax was already established in many markets, so it made sense for them to use that to be the first ones to market with 4G. And to be honest WiMax gets good and consistant speeds with relatively low latency (average 5-7 down and 1-1.5 up with around 70-80 ms latency), its just that once you enter a building or even a car for that matter the signal penetration drops off sharply. Thats that 2500 Mhz spectrum for ya. BUt hopefully this deal with light squared will accelerate thier LTE deployment. It would be nice to have all the major carriers on one universal 4G standard that way you could roam anywhere you go. I just hope sprint can stay in the game. This AT&T/T-mobile merger is going to put the hurt on the ol now network.

mcdeeandhisepic

May 21, 2011
Akron
maybe......someday

expect the worst hope for the best that way you dont get your feels hurt lol

iam happy now lol

Last edited:

LunaticWolf

Apr 19, 2011
My bro works at Sams club in the phone department, and the Sprint Rep that handles distributing phones to all stores in the valley told him that they are not deploying out any more 4G as they are in talks to use LTE like verizon on their network.

NoSoMo

Sep 26, 2009
Treasure Island, FL
WIMAX phones CAN convert to LTE....as can the currently deployed WIMAX equipment with no additional hardware...it's basically a software update. Sprint will be converting their 800MHz frequencies from IDEN to CDMA and will use LTE across all frequencies and incorporate aggregation which is where multiple frequencies are used simultaneously thereby increasing total frequency width and speed.

This thread should be deleted, while continuing on with this one...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1015442

Last edited:

nebrando

Jul 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I hear you on the "keyboard" feature ... the AWESOME Screen Display and Physical Keyboard are what made me get the EPIC instead of EVO .... hopefully SGS3 !!! ;)

That is the same reason I got the Epic as well, but I now very rarely use the hardware keyboard. I'm excited for the new SGSII, but to each his own I guess

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

NoSoMo

Sep 26, 2009
Treasure Island, FL
"Cellular Frequency Aggregation: Using multiple Cellular Radio Frequencies in parallel to increase link speed" Think of it like Link aggregation whereas using multiple Ethernet network cables/ports in parallel to increase overall link speed......Using 3 100Mb ethernet ports at the same time to have an effective 300Mb total connection. This is only possible if both the sending computer AND receiving computer support the capability. NVIDIA motherboards with dual 1GB ethernet ports can perform this using their driver.

REPOST......

From sprint website

Current vs. New cell site

Today, Sprint uses separate equipment to deploy services on 800 MHz spectrum, 1.9 GHz spectrum and, through its relationship with Clearwire, 2.5 GHz spectrum. Under the terms of the new contracts, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson and Samsung will install new network equipment and software that brings together multiple spectrum bands, or airwaves, on a single, multi-mode base station.

Comparison between today's base stations and Network Vision base stations

Base-station-images.jpg

With Network Vision, Sprint will make substantial changes to the cell sites that power its wireless network. The top image shows Sprint’s existing base stations, which require single, refrigerator-sized cabinets for each technology. Large black coaxial cables must run from each cabinet to the top of the cell tower, which has an inherent loss of signal. The Network Vision multi-mode base station will require less space. Other advantages will include the ability for Sprint to use spectrum bands on multiple technologies, replacing coaxial cables with fiber that is not affected by signal loss and improved remote radio heads that replace existing less efficient radios.

Multi-mode technology

Multi-mode.png

The implementation of multi-mode technology throughout the Sprint network will:
• Enhance service
• Create network flexibility
• Reduce operating costs
• Improve environmental sustainability

Other Rumors alluded to by sprint

Berge Ayvazian, Senior Consultant, Heavy Reading
“This is a very bold move. Sprint was first with an all-digital wireless network; the first to upgrade to EVDO; and more recently, the first to broadly offer 4G services. Sprint is once again first to deploy a common converged mobile network that will strengthen its 3G services; enhance its 4G technology options; and continue delivering the industry’s leading push-to-talk offering.”

Steve Elfman, Sprint president of Network Operations and Wholesale
“We’re seeing an increasing need from our push-to-talk customers for high-speed data capabilities. Marrying the industry’s only sub-second PTT call set-up with broadband data directly supports our customers’ needs and creates an unmatched offering in the market. Additionally, we fully expect a competitively priced lineup of rugged handsets and smartphones on the CDMA network.”

Last edited:

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
There is a chance they could be but, it is slim because the only lte band our phones could support is 2500mhz from Clear so it wouldn't improve coverage much (Vison will because of more towers but it will still be spotty) but speed could go up a bit.

I think it would be pointless though. They would be better off uncapping the Wimax speeds (which would make them more or less the same speeds as LTE ~ up to 40mbps). I would say most likely they keep the wimax caps (maybe ease up a little on the upload cap) and leave the phones with Wimax.

Looks like sprint will be raising the cap on the upload tommorow. I guess they read my post. :p

http://phandroid.com/2011/06/09/sprint-said-to-raise-4g-upload-cap-to-1-5-mbps-june-10th/

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I certainly hope this is the case as 3G in my area is terrible. Fortunately, I have 4G and that is Sprint's saving grace.

One of the link's above points to October 7th for a EVDO rev. B upgrade. That would coincide nicely with an iPhone announcement and will be a necessary upgrade (IMO) with the anticipated number of iPhone's coming to Sprint.

I did some research on the chipset used by the epic and we have the
    Qualcomm QSC6085
    which does not support Evdo Rev. B

However the iPhone 4 CDMA version uses the
    Qualcomm MDM6600
    This chipset already supports GSM and CDMA but they don't use the GSM side right now. On the CDMA side it does support EVDO Rev A/B

I can definitely see Sprint making the simultaneous announcement of iPhone + Rev B support which would trump Verzion by providing simultaneous voice and data and trump everyone by having sprints great prices.

The MDM9600 supports rev a/b + LTE so I can see sprint heading down that path with their lightsquared announcment. Wimax is currently a separate chip which comes from samsung. A single chip solution with EVDO rev a/b and LTE would reduce size and power use.

Sad thing is none of this is coming to our Epic 4Gs. But things are really looking good for Sprint if they roll out Rev B, that would definitely be huge for attracting customers.
    This is why you should stay with Sprint. Look at the coverage map after Network Vision. (It is the yellow one.)

The blue is the Nextel coverage, but the yellow will be 1X Advance coverage for Sprint. Look at the entire West. It is nearly fully covered.
    I managed to dig this up a howard forums here

Evan702 said:
    This is a slide that Sprint presented at a conference a little while back:

2__Slide5.jpg

You may be able to draw your own conclusions from there...

You'll notice a certain graphic from this slide show wasn't included on sprint's network vision press release illustrating sprint's lte plans.

Apparently, through new antenna arrays and moving the radio onto the tower instead of on the ground they aim to improve coverage (+5db).

So, if you notice a tower in your area with boxes on it, it could be a vision tower.
    Sprint to deploy 4G LTE network with LightSquared

Looks like Sprint is getting ready to go LTE.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/17/sprint-to-deploy-4g-lte-network-with-lightsquared/