[OFFICIAL] questions and answers for Microsoft surface

Search This thread

samgu

I had that same result on my desktop. It was Explorer crashing, not the apps, though, which will give pretty much the same effect.

I had ramdom apps crashing too. During my tests, Google app crashed once, but didn't crash later. What I can confirm is that after I disabled the tip 13 and unselected the IPV6 option on my wireless network adapter, the Surface have been running for 5 days without any crash, freeze or other problem!!!! :good:

Mantenner

Feb 15, 2012
Sydney
www.mantenner.webs.com
android for surface rt

Ok, so this is probably a super dumb question and im sure i'll get raged at, but i have to know, could we get android to run on our surface? I know that there is a function to boot from usb, although i have no idea how that could help get android to boot, its just a thought, please dont rip me down :)

MamaGlue

Mar 2, 2011
Texas
Why isn't flash player working for my Surface RT 32gb?
few days ago it was working fine and I was able to play videos, now I cant play youtube videos or any other flash vids.
says I need to update my flash player and wont load anything.
I have the whitelist tool and my rt is jailbroken. ive rebooted many times tried with and without the jailbreak to run videos with no luck.
reset all defaults in ie and tried to play in both metro and desktop. nothing is working.

also I have found that the flash player add on is missing I never uninstalled It or anything. any ideas on how to get it back?
ok so I close ie and open it again and go to manage add ons and shockwave flash object is back now then when closed and opened it may or may not go away, its completely random.
this is really annoying.

Edit: ended up refreshing the pc flash vids work fine now and it saved all my old files. Only problem now is I cannot reinstall any of my apps, keeps giving me an error
( 0x80240017 )
im pretty sure its because i need to re-install all those firmware updates that came out a month ago now, but every time i try to download and install the updates all 23 of them fail. any help at all would be appreciated.
edit2: ran troubleshooter to fix update problem and my surface is successfully updated but still cannot reinstall or even download any apps from the marketplace...all that works is ie, ms office, desktop and the marketplace opens obviously.

Last edited:

Dane Reynolds

Dec 17, 2012
Kendal
Ok, so this is probably a super dumb question and im sure i'll get raged at, but i have to know, could we get android to run on our surface? I know that there is a function to boot from usb, although i have no idea how that could help get android to boot, its just a thought, please dont rip me down :)

Hey, it's not a bad question. Yes it is possible to boot another OS, but Microsoft has security in place so removing the old OS 'RT' this is why there are people who 'jailbreak' devices, such as the iPhone, so just like you I hope there is a jailbreak so I can have android.

MamaGlue

Mar 2, 2011
Texas
Q. Is there a way to increase colour saturation on the surface?

go to your desktop and right click then select personalize. in the bottom left corner of the window there should be a "see also" section, click display. now on the left side of the window select "calibrate color" follow the steps.

Wischm0pp

Jan 10, 2013
I recently jailbroke my Surface, but I keep on running into the same error, when starting .net 4.5 apps, that are not actually compiled for WinRT.

The procedure entry point
"?id@?$codecvt@DDH@std@@2V0locale@2@A" wasn't found in the DLL
"C:\...\appimtryingtostart.exe"

Is there any way to maybe reinstall the .net framework or fix it somehow?

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
The bit you can't translate is "procedure entry point" and refers to the start of a function that the runtime expects to find in your program. Not sure what the actual stuff in the entry point identifier is, though; I don't recognize it. I've run multiple .NET 4.x apps without recompiling... As for reinstalling .NET, this is possible on the PC (using the Windows Features control panel) but the relevant items are missing from the same control panel on RT. You could try using dism.exe to do it, though...

Wischm0pp

Jan 10, 2013
I couldn't find any way to reinstall .net by using dism since I'm not familiar with it but now I'll just update my .net. Let's see if this works.

Seems like my version was already up to date. Really urgent for some app like Mouse w/o Borders or Synergy.

Last edited:

HTCalltheway

Mar 22, 2011
Weird touch cover noise...

My touch cover makes a sound when I press the keys.. no it's not the "pop" sound from the OS.

video here.

Is it normal and does your touch cover also do this?

Wischm0pp

Jan 10, 2013
Is it normal and does your touch cover also do this?

To some extend, it's normal because the thin plastic layers in the keyboard seem to do this.
But with my keyboard I can ony hear that if it's pretty quiet and I have to get really close to it.
So yours is most probably defect, you should consider sending it back to Ms.

kiddomarc

Aug 13, 2005
my surface pro cannot boot from Windows 7 and Linux USBs, it still proceeds to windows 8. (im trying to put windows 7 on it or Linux)

but I can on my Recovery USB. i'm using the down volume method, and tried the advance boot thingy and chose USB method.

So i doubted if my win7 and linux usbs are not bootable, but they both boot well on my other pc.

I also have that EFI boot disabled. im not exactly a noob with tweaks and software installation, i just dont know why my surface pro wont accept those bootable usbs so i can start installing them.

please help.

Last edited:

Kraize

Dec 5, 2007
California
my surface pro cannot boot from Windows 7 and Linux USBs, it still proceeds to windows 8. (im trying to put windows 7 on it or Linux)

but I can on my Recovery USB. i'm using the down volume method, and tried the advance boot thingy and chose USB method.

So i doubted if my win7 and linux usbs are not bootable, but they both boot well on my other pc.

I also have that EFI boot disabled. im not exactly a noob with tweaks and software installation, i just dont know why my surface pro wont accept those bootable usbs so i can start installing them.

please help.

Are you sure it's not a problem with your usb? I can boot backtrack, ubuntu, windows 7 just fine from usb.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Technically speaking? No, of course not; Win8 runs on x86/x64 (processors based on Intel's 80386 instruction set architecture, with or without AMD's 64-bit extensions). RT runs on ARM, a completely different processor instruction set. ARM processors, such as the Tegra 3 chip in Surface RT, can't run x86 code directly, so there's no way to run an x86 OS on them.

Now, with that said, there's really only one meaningful difference in the behavior of Win8 from that of Win RT: the requirement that desktop apps and libraries be signed by Microsoft. Without athat, you can compile programs for ARM, or run .NET code (which is processor-independent), with no problems at all. There *is* a way to enable this on RT: go look up the "jailbreak tool" on the dev&hacking sub-forum.

Note, however, that the amount of software available for RT thus far is limited. Pure .NET 4.x apps will usually work fine, but RT doesn't include older versions of the .NET runtime. Open-source apps that are compiled using Visual Studio can be pretty easily re-compiled for ARM, but ones that are compiled using GCC only are much more difficult, and closed-source apps can't be recompiled at all. We have limited support for both Java and Python, as well. There is a tool being developed that allows running x86 code on RT using dynamic recompilation to ARM code, but that tool is still in early beta phase and doesn't yet support many programs.

Reactions: mohitgalaxy3

mohitgalaxy3

Apr 18, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Technically speaking? No, of course not; Win8 runs on x86/x64 (processors based on Intel's 80386 instruction set architecture, with or without AMD's 64-bit extensions). RT runs on ARM, a completely different processor instruction set. ARM processors, such as the Tegra 3 chip in Surface RT, can't run x86 code directly, so there's no way to run an x86 OS on them.

Now, with that said, there's really only one meaningful difference in the behavior of Win8 from that of Win RT: the requirement that desktop apps and libraries be signed by Microsoft. Without athat, you can compile programs for ARM, or run .NET code (which is processor-independent), with no problems at all. There *is* a way to enable this on RT: go look up the "jailbreak tool" on the dev&hacking sub-forum.

Note, however, that the amount of software available for RT thus far is limited. Pure .NET 4.x apps will usually work fine, but RT doesn't include older versions of the .NET runtime. Open-source apps that are compiled using Visual Studio can be pretty easily re-compiled for ARM, but ones that are compiled using GCC only are much more difficult, and closed-source apps can't be recompiled at all. We have limited support for both Java and Python, as well. There is a tool being developed that allows running x86 code on RT using dynamic recompilation to ARM code, but that tool is still in early beta phase and doesn't yet support many programs.

Well thanks for a brief description, I completely understand now why win8 can't run on RT.

Last edited:

Casper0v

Jan 21, 2013
External DVD

I know that the Surface RT does not have any DVD playback capabilities built in; I'm wondering if there could possibly be a way around this. It would be awesome to be able to just hook one up via USB and be able to watch DVDs.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Moloxus

Feb 23, 2013
Live USB problems

Are you sure it's not a problem with your usb? I can boot backtrack, ubuntu, windows 7 just fine from usb.

I'm having a similar problem. Are you compiling the live usb yourself? I've tried multiple programs (unetboot, linuxlive usb creator, rufus)

I've only managed to get ubuntu to load via live usb by creating it with rufus and setting partition scheme to gpt for uefi. non of the other isos I've tried (BT 5, Linux Mint, Android X86) are capable of a gpt partition scheme and I am pretty new to this uefi bios.

Does surface pro not have legacy bios support?

My end goal was to try and install a bare metal hypervisor like xenclient or nxtop on the surface pro.

Wischm0pp

Jan 10, 2013
Often, when I change the system volume using the volume rocker it kinda gets stuck into it. For instance if I press the Vol+ button it goes all the way up to 100 and the volume indicator won't fade away until Vol- is pressed. Also it doesn't seem to recognize any touch input while being stuck.
Also it seems to be a software misfunction since I can't tell anything weird regarding the volume rocker. Seems to work normal on the hardware side.

arisgiann

Feb 27, 2009
Athens
Hi.
I've tried lot of times to add my Google account to my RT but allways says that the details are incorect.

Does anyone knows the reason for that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ask questions for the Microsoft surface and only the Microsoft surface go here. They can range from hardware to software questions. Please try not to repeat questions. And please answer them in a nice way. Don't put people down because they don't know how to create a folder or something simple. and DON'T SAY GOOGLE IT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Samsung galaxy s2
    Rom: Jedi knight 6
    kernel: Jedi kernel 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You know, with all due respect to your chronic illnesses and such, the "android on RT" question could have been answered a lot faster by search than by making the post; they've been asked, and answered, so many times it's absurd. The questions about media players and such have at least the virtue of thinking we might know something that all the reviewers online don't, but that's not much of a virtue when it, too, has been discussed to death already.

Look at it from our perspective: these are questions that we long-time members see over and over again, dozens of times in this forum alone. Often, even in the same thread! So yeah, we get tired of giving the same answers over and over, and to have somebody ask yet again, the assumption that they clearly haven't even tried to save us (not to mention themselves) some time with basic research is very easy to make. Yeah, the forum search feature is a miserable pile of fail, but xda-devs is very well indexed by Google, Bing, etc. and you can easily answer questions by checking there. The Bing search for Android "Surface RT" site:xda-developers.com gives almost 12 thousand results, and I can answer a few of your questions just reading the list without even clicking the links.

Before you (or any other newbie) post on a site like this, bear in mind that there's basically four types of responses you're likely to get: noobs who don't know anything either, people who know and are willing to take the time away from working with other hackers/developers/experts to write you an answer, people who know that the answer can be found by search (they may be experts or total noobs or anything in between) and will tell you so, and no answer at all (which can be either because nobody knows or nobody can be bothered to tell you something so obvious). Basically, unless you think your question is both unusual enough and intriguing enough that people who know will bother responding to it, don't post it.

This is not ideal, no. It's not terribly newbie-friendly, and it's not the optimal way to disseminate knowledge. But, this is an imperfect world. People have limited time. People have personal goals. People are not machines, willing to tirelessly spit out the same information day in and day out. At the end of the day, you should remember that XDA-Devs is a *developer* site. It's not a user site. The focus is on getting the most out of our devices, not answering the questions of people who don't even have what we consider to be baseline-level knowledge about the subject of mobile devices (such as the fact that ARM devices cannot be turned "into a Win7"; a question which makes about as much sense as if somebody asked if their sailboat could be made into an airplane or something).

If you're looking for a site devoted to answering the questions ordinary people have about Surface, as opposed to one about experts sharing information on hacking a Surface, try something like http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface. Yes, linking to external sites which arguably compete with XDA is against the forum rules, but I'd argue that it largely falls under "post in the correct section" too; based on this thread, I'm not sure that you could be said to be *contributing* anything here, except the admittedly useful reminder that we can be a bunch of arrogant snobs at times. That's true, and it's something we should pay attention to, but it doesn't actually help you any.

In fact, given how unlikely it is that the next person like you will read this post before asking for the 11902nd time, writing it is probably a net detraction from XDA's usefulness too. But it's already written, so I may as well post it and hope.
    Thank you but the problem remains with the calender app. When i am trying to add my google account it says that sync is unavailable.

First of all, is this a work account? If so, IT could be blocking it or something. Assuming it's not, go to your calendar on the website and try going into settings. Share the calendar to your Microsoft live mail address. Once that's done, sign out of GMail and go to your Livemail. Open the invitation to join, make an account, and just use that account to sign into your calendar in Windows ? :good:
    Long, complicated method, but should work!

-------------------------------------------------
    Hit the thanks button if I helped!
    Hi.
    I've tried lot of times to add my Google account to my RT but allways says that the details are incorect.

Does anyone knows the reason for that?

When you say Google, I'm assuming you mean GMail in the mail app or contacts in the people app. I've added mine and it works fine. However, you might want to try logging into your live account (I'm assuming you have one since you have a surface) and hooking up your two accounts there. To do this, go to live.com and click on your name on the upper right-hand corner. Then click on account settings. Login with your password again and go to permissions on the left-hand side. In the following screen click add accounts. There you can add Google contacts. For mail however, there are other ways to link.

Hit the thanks button if I helped! :D

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Often, when I change the system volume using the volume rocker it kinda gets stuck into it. For instance if I press the Vol+ button it goes all the way up to 100 and the volume indicator won't fade away until Vol- is pressed. Also it doesn't seem to recognize any touch input while being stuck.
    Also it seems to be a software misfunction since I can't tell anything weird regarding the volume rocker. Seems to work normal on the hardware side.

Hey, this is most likely a hardware problem. I had a similar issue with mine (only I could still change the volume with touch). Does it do the same thing with the touch/type cover? This would tell you if it's a hardware problem.
    However, I got mine replaced 'cause my headphone jack stopped working. The volume rocker was then fixed and has been fine ever since. Oh, and have you tried resetting or refreshing in case it is software? If you're going to get it replaced anyway (just call Microsoft, explain what happened and tell 'em you want it replaced, they'll do it for you) you may as well try that first.
    Hope this helped!

Hit the thanks button if I helped! :D
    software
    1. why does imap in the windows rt mail app works not correct, i think there must be a restriction for sync of max directorys, so the app is not usable, i missing many directorys from my german 1and1 mail hoster (the same on desktop pc win8 pro)?
    2. why does the surface rt go offline on 5% battery, shutting down os and no oppinion to start the tablet with the less power?
    3. why i cannot deinstall apps from windows rt app store?
    4. how i can global disable live titles?
    5. very great powershell v3, but i missing "powershell ise", will it be available in future?
    6. how i can switch my language from my default osd-keyboard between writing this words (from german to english), i found no key on osd for this?
    7. how i can change to different skydrive-accounts in metro-app (the mapped 7gb ist wrong, based on @outlook-com), becouse i have a another old account with 25gb, based on @web.de)
    8. does in future coming a fix which enable automatic osd-keyboard in desktop-mode?

1) do you have the correct imap prefix set? How many folders do you have?
    2) probably because deep cycling the battery under 5% reduces overall battery life
    3) you can't? http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-surface-rt-tip-deleting-apps
    4) http://superuser.com/questions/496906/how-can-i-remove-live-tile-updates-in-windows-8
    5) possibly never, but I agree that would be awesome
    6) don't understand - keyboard should use your global language setting
    7) you could always share your bigger skydrive's account with your smaller skydrive account - that should make the space accessable from the smaller account. Do that in the skydrive web interface.
    8) ?