Stylus for nook hd+?

Search This thread

MrPresident

May 18, 2006
Hi,

One of the reasons i got my nook was to study.
I want to know if there is a stylus that will allow me to underline, highlight, annotate, add notes to documents that I read.
If so, whats the big deal about the galazy S-pen? just that it is pressure sensitive??
If i can use some third party/after market stylus with my nook, then can i get some reccommendations, or points on what to look for?

lastly what is the best software to help me use the nook hd+ in the manner i've described? i notice the stock reader stuff allows u to highlight and add notes. is that my best bet, or is there something better.

The format of most of the documents I will be using is .pdf, and i'd like to be able to write free hand over the .pdf. and then hide or show what i have written, +/- highlighting.

thanks

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
any capacitive stylus will work. you can't use samsung spen since it's inductive. it'll only work with wacom tablets and the galaxy note 2 and 10.1 and does have pressure sentivity.

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Ok- I've been trying to use write with a Bamboo stylus- supposedly the best. So far I've been disappointed. Without a screen cover- the pen drags too much- and with one one it misses too many strokes. I've been trying to find out if the screen sensitivity can be adjusted. And if there are screen protectors that are thinner. I was using caseen.

There were procedures developed for the nook color- but they don't seem to work for hd.

Sent from my BNTV600 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Tarthenal

Jan 12, 2013
Recommendations for Stylus?

Hello all, new owner of a HD+ here. I've been looking at getting a stylus for my Nook, are there are recommendations on a cheap (under $20) and durable stylus for the HD+? Many thanks...

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
Hello all, new owner of a HD+ here. I've been looking at getting a stylus for my Nook, are there are recommendations on a cheap (under $20) and durable stylus for the HD+? Many thanks...

I've been using a rooCase pen for the last year on my Kindle Fire - it works fine on the Nook HD+ as well.

roocase.jpg

It's about $10 on the 'Zon.
http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Capac...F8&qid=1358059411&sr=1-1&keywords=roocase+pen

Tarthenal

Jan 12, 2013
I've been using a rooCase pen for the last year on my Kindle Fire - it works fine on the Nook HD+ as well.

It's about $10 on the 'Zon.

Many thanks for all the recommendations, will check these out!

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Ps- on pdf note taking- check out Qoppa PDF Notes

Thanks for the tip. Just to put this question out there, between Qoppa and ezPDF, which one would people recommend? ( I hope this is the right sub-forum to ask. Apologies if it is not, am new to this whole android/tablet thing).

Last edited:

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
So I wasn't happy with Bamboo, but that might have been the software, seems like Write doesn't work as well as say Draw! or antipaper on tracking pen input. Nonetheless, I found the Vera stylus at B&N was def better in keeping a clean track and working consistently. Still I find none of them are good enough to really take notes with yet. I've ordered an amPen Hybrid on recommendation of another thread and will try that. It includes metal 'fibers' in the tip to make it more sensitive. But for now, the Vera works pretty well.

What app for note taking are people using? I love the functionality of Write, but it is sporadic. Notefree and Antipaper are nice, but don't have the handwritten word processing capability of Write. LectureNotes is too complicated, though it may be ideal for some. Thoughts?

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Alright, some updates:

I got the ampen hybrid and it is much better than the rubber tips including bamboo, slides easily over the screen and better sensitivity than the Vera. Major improvement and enough for note taking.

I'm also liking Free Note and Write as my apps. Free Note has lots of nice bells and whistles, but Write has the best handwriting editing capability. The ampen works pretty well with both but not precise enough for smaller writing. Good enough for Free Note (magnified entry area), but marginal with Write (actual size writing) where the big soft ampen tip is like writing with a crayon.

Ordered a jot pro to try now, for more precise writing, warnings indicate that a screen protector is essential as jot pro can collect grit and scratch the screen. Until now, results have been without screen protector...

Tarthenal

Jan 12, 2013
Alright, some updates:

I got the ampen hybrid and it is much better than the rubber tips including bamboo, slides easily over the screen and better sensitivity than the Vera. Major improvement and enough for note taking.

I'm also liking Free Note and Write as my apps. Free Note has lots of nice bells and whistles, but Write has the best handwriting editing capability. The ampen works pretty well with both but not precise enough for smaller writing. Good enough for Free Note (magnified entry area), but marginal with Write (actual size writing) where the big soft ampen tip is like writing with a crayon.

Ordered a jot pro to try now, for more precise writing, warnings indicate that a screen protector is essential as jot pro can collect grit and scratch the screen. Until now, results have been without screen protector...

I've been using the amPen one as well, and it's quite useful for highlighting and general tapping. It doesn't work so well with Write (as you pointed out) for me either. Where are you ordering the jot pro from?

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
I've been using the amPen one as well, and it's quite useful for highlighting and general tapping. It doesn't work so well with Write (as you pointed out) for me either. Where are you ordering the jot pro from?

Write's most recent update greatly improved performance with my amPen. Very happy with that now, except that all these are still like writing with a crayon. I ordered the Jot Pro with Amazon, and should get a look at it today!

Reactions: lkmiller

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Ok, finally got my jot pro, wow, almost like writing with a pen. A little noisy. Not as sensitive as the am pen. With Write I find I can now make the small stroke required for writing. But I find Write its a little laggy on stroke presentation. Free Note is faster, maybe because it isn't trying to make svg files. I may be able to get used to both of them, but leaning to free note.. With the jot pro I can prove my touchscreen needs calibration since you can see right where the tip is going. Up and to the left about an eighth of an inch.

Reactions: lkmiller

Tarthenal

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, finally got my jot pro, wow, almost like writing with a pen. A little noisy. Not as sensitive as the am pen. With Write I find I can now make the small stroke required for writing. But I find Write its a little laggy on stroke presentation. Free Note is faster, maybe because it isn't trying to make svg files. I may be able to get used to both of them, but leaning to free note.. With the jot pro I can prove my touchscreen needs calibration since you can see right where the tip is going. Up and to the left about an eighth of an inch.

Wow, sounds good. Although a lot of the reviews on Amazon mention the micro-scratches this thing causes. see, http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Dampening-Stylus-iPhone-Tablets/dp/B00931K1QK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Are you using a screen protector of some sort?

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Yep, going to try a few. Caseen glossy right now. Like I said sensitivity is a slight issue

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

dbh369

Nov 4, 2007
Philadelphia
Still liking the jot pro, wish it had a pocket clip, and being magnetic isn't a big deal for me. But by far the best writing implement I've tried.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using xda app-developers app

jmstrat

Jan 1, 2013
Latency

My cousin was drawing some sonic characters on her ipad mini and I realized what a Joy it was to draw on the ipad, the latency was nonexistent. Is there a way to remedy the latency seen with sketchbook pro on the nook hd+? It's not THAT bad but I wish It could be reduced just like the ipad, maybe it's just not possible, ehh it's bearable but It would be nice to show you guys the comparison..

Last edited:

riboswitch

Sep 18, 2012
My cousin was drawing some sonic characters on her ipad mini and I realized what a Joy it was to draw on the ipad, the latency was nonexistent. Is there a way to remedy the latency seen with sketchbook pro on the nook hd+? It's not THAT bad but I wish It could be reduced just like the ipad, maybe it's just not possible, ehh it's bearable but It would be nice to show you guys the comparison..

I need one for some pdf editing, doing notes and stuff.
With my bare fingers its too hard to hit the right spots and also it looks terrible.

Any advice guys?

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Wow, sounds good. Although a lot of the reviews on Amazon mention the micro-scratches this thing causes. see, http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Dampening-Stylus-iPhone-Tablets/dp/B00931K1QK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Are you using a screen protector of some sort?

I was worried about the microscratches as well and I had heard from several different places that it happens on the Nook HD+

I have a screen protector on it though and I don't notice any marks.

DKFarms

Jan 16, 2014
PDF Reader

Hi,

The format of most of the documents I will be using is .pdf, and i'd like to be able to write free hand over the .pdf. and then hide or show what i have written, +/- highlighting.

thanks

One program I really like and am getting to know better is, RepliGo. Its a PDF reader that allow you to edit, highlight, underline, etc. You can find it in the google play store. Its $2.99 if memory serves me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Write's most recent update greatly improved performance with my amPen. Very happy with that now, except that all these are still like writing with a crayon. I ordered the Jot Pro with Amazon, and should get a look at it today!