4.3 Update for T-Mobile M919 ~ DO NOT UPDATE IF...

Search This thread

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
So I guess I got a bit unlucky with the 4.3 update today. My phone basically almost updated by itself when I was using it earlier today and clicked on the Play Store icon. I had been postponing the update for the last few days, and today upon opening the Play Store, it just went into reboot/ download/ install method. The update itself went fine, I DO have 4.3 AND know (I did not install the app itself), and have been seeing the security notifications others have talked about here.

I am positive, completely sure I did NOT choose to update. As I mentioned, opening the Play Store was the last thing I did before the phone automatically did the upgrade.Maybe the update had some timer or counter that did not allow for a perennial delay or postponing of the upgrade.

Yeah, go me, and hooray for 4.3 and Knox...

Last edited:

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
If anyone bricks their device from flashing a file its their own fault. Obviously i will state that i include a radio so only flash on M919 devices...

And secondly, i can check what radio version is currently on the device before telling it to flash anything.

Its install-recovery.sh found under etc directory.

If you get it all working with the radio, if a different ROM is flashed latter without a radio, should it work ok or will it be marched to a particular ROM only (yours) ?

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
If you get it all working with the radio, if a different ROM is flashed latter without a radio, should it work ok or will it be marched to a particular ROM only (yours) ?

Once a radio is flashed its there forever, i might actually include it as a separate zip for users.

iJuleguy

Dec 31, 2010
Hopefully we can find a way around this too. I had mine unlocked from the day I bought it. My partner however, stayed on TW rom till it OTA'd to 4.3....

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
My phone is rooted stock 4.2.2 with Xposed framework and a few modules. The phone runs the way I want it to, looks the way I want it to (via Xposed modules), and I don't have enough apps that I keep on my phone to worry about running out of space. 32 gig SD card, everything caches to SD.
Tldr: I have my phone the way I want it. Why do I need to update?

I'm the same as you. I have absolutely 0 problems with my 4.2.2 debloated and Xposed modules. No need to upgrade. The 4.3 update is so insignificant that the hassle isn't worth it. I've tried other 4.3+ roms but came back to 4.2.2. Nothing Xposed and a little kernel tweaking won't do ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: tygerchylde

gruuvin

Nov 24, 2011
Atlanta
So I guess I got a bit unlucky with the 4.3 update today. My phone basically almost updated by itself when I was using it earlier today and clicked on the Play Store icon. I had been postponing the update for the last few days, and today upon opening the Play Store, it just went into reboot/ download/ install method. The update itself went fine, I DO have 4.3 AND know (I did not install the app itself), and have been seeing the security notifications others have talked about here.

I am positive, completely sure I did NOT choose to update. As I mentioned, opening the Play Store was the last thing I did before the phone automatically did the upgrade.Maybe the update had some timer or counter that did not allow for a perennial delay or postponing of the upgrade.

Yeah, go me, and hooray for 4.3 and Knox...

Had you already downloaded the update and were postponing the install of it? Or had you not downloaded it and it even downloaded the update without your consent? I wonder how the rest of us might avoid this.

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
Had you already downloaded the update and were postponing the install of it? Or had you not downloaded it and it even downloaded the update without your consent? I wonder how the rest of us might avoid this.

I already had downloaded the update, but postponed it believing I could so until I, not my phone or carrier, decided to install it. It seems there was a limit of times or days I could do so.

The update itself went well and the phone is working properly BTW.

southsidexz

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Upgraded to 4.3 with Knox -_-

I apologize if this has been asked before, I kept going through threads but really couldn't find a direct answer.

So my "smart" brain decided to flash via ODIN the Official T-Mobile 4.3 image. I suddenly found out it wasn't the smartest way due to Knox appearing left and right with notifications.

Luckily I was able to root again with the CF-Root method and I was able to get a recovery. Also thanks to SuperSU it worked fine with Knox and I was able to get root and have it disable Knox. However I soon discovered that certain root apps didn't work properly anymore. Example: "SystemApp Remover", "Rooted AnyConnect", "Multi Window Manager", Titanium Backup, & WiFi Tether. However, Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Xposed Installer worked fine with root access.

I am wondering if this is due to the SELinux being set to Enforce (SEPF_SGH-M919_4.3_0010) or Knox.

My main question is since I got the official 4.3 is it possible to flash any of the 4.3 Roms with Knox removed and SELinux set to permissive without having to change the MK2 bootloader or do anything else? I really don't care about tripping Knox, I had sent this phone for repair at Samsung and they returned it, the only thing not working was the Micro SD Slot, which I fixed it. (Samsung didn't bother even calling or anything, same day received, same day they shipped it back).

Hopefully someone could help answering my question.

Thanks.:good:

southsidexz

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Success

I answered my own question :D

I flashed jovy23 Stock Modified ROM and flashed KT Kernel (Thanks jovy23 & ktoonsez) and now it works perfectly. I got calling going, wi-fi calling, wi-fi to work. No other issue.

Sweet! Now I have full Permissive SELinux and no KNOX to bug me, even though KNOX bootloader has been tripped, doesn't matter.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I kept going through threads but really couldn't find a direct answer.

So my "smart" brain decided to flash via ODIN the Official T-Mobile 4.3 image. I suddenly found out it wasn't the smartest way due to Knox appearing left and right with notifications.

Luckily I was able to root again with the CF-Root method and I was able to get a recovery. Also thanks to SuperSU it worked fine with Knox and I was able to get root and have it disable Knox. However I soon discovered that certain root apps didn't work properly anymore. Example: "SystemApp Remover", "Rooted AnyConnect", "Multi Window Manager", Titanium Backup, & WiFi Tether. However, Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator, Xposed Installer worked fine with root access.

I am wondering if this is due to the SELinux being set to Enforce (SEPF_SGH-M919_4.3_0010) or Knox.

My main question is since I got the official 4.3 is it possible to flash any of the 4.3 Roms with Knox removed and SELinux set to permissive without having to change the MK2 bootloader or do anything else? I really don't care about tripping Knox, I had sent this phone for repair at Samsung and they returned it, the only thing not working was the Micro SD Slot, which I fixed it. (Samsung didn't bother even calling or anything, same day received, same day they shipped it back).

Hopefully someone could help answering my question.

Thanks.:good:

ashwinmudigonda

Oct 8, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.flickr.com
Alright guys, I need your help. I have the M919UVUEMK2 baseband version running 4.3 on a SGH-M919 model.

I followed this link - http://true-android.blogspot.com/201...xy-s4-sgh.html - and was able to achieve root. I confirmed it with a couple of apps.

Next I tried to install clockwork mod recovery using ROM Manager. After it flashed, and when I booted into recovery, I got a message saying that root privileges have been lost. Fix? I chose yes. After rebooting, when I launched SU app, it said that there was no su binaries installed and that I should manually root again.

What is happening? What do I do if I want to flash a new ROM?

Update: I redid the rooting procedure. Odin showed PASS, but there was no Su app in the apps list. I am unable to obtain root privileges for any of the apps. I am able to get to CWM. Would it help if I flashed this ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532714)?

Could someone please help?

Last edited:

rkrasny

Nov 22, 2007
I though since the bootloaders were lock on 4.3 which I updated ...that it could brick the phone ..I'm new to lock bootloaders lol

I'm pretty certain you can load a custom recovery (which you have) and a new ROM but your KNOX counter will trip. In fact, it should have already tripped with the custom recovery - when you boot do you get the yellow triangle and something to the effect that "your device has been modified..."

If so, that is the KNOX counter and that is the big deal with the MK2/locked bootloader - it technically voids your warranty and nobody is certain if Samsung/your carrier will provide you technical support or a replacement device under those circumstances. I'm pretty sure you're already in that situation though so a custom ROM load should not be a problem. You can always ODIN back to MK2 stock (but as always, no guarantees, your mileage may vary and you could own an expensive paperweight).

Reactions: ermmanuel

gdmlaz

Jul 16, 2010
Miami
I though since the bootloaders were lock on 4.3 which I updated ...that it could brick the phone ..I'm new to lock bootloaders lol

Bootloader is not locked worse thing u could do is trip the Knox counter and void ur warranty but u won't brick ur phone I updated str8 from Samsung T-mobile to 4.3 then rooted it and flashed cwm latest recovery and been able to flash everything like always no problems so if u don't care about warranty u could do the same thing as before with the new bootloader

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ermmanuel

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
So if I buy a new S4 that comes with 4.3 I got stuck with Knox if I root the phone?

Sent from my SGH-T999

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    T-Mobile finally pushed the 4.3 update earlier today but DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ROOT! It comes with a locked bootloader. Therefore, once you are on 4.3 stock, you can only flash stock firmwares then. If you try to root your phone on 4.3 with the standard method, it will blow your efuse and void your warranty!

AGAIN, DO NOT UPDATE 4.3 VIA OTA OR ODIN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY. IF YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT, FEEL FREE TO UPDATE

Info on KNOX:

What we know so far (I think!)

1. Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware will upgrade the bootloader to knox bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about knox status.

2. If the Knox warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use knox softwareas your device has been flagged as insecure. By this i mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use knox to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future samsung firmware releases with the knox flag 0x1. hope this makes sense. sorry for any confusion this has caused!

3. If the knox warranty line says 0x0 knox will work.

4. with the new knox bootloader root will work, however rooting with CFautorootwill trip the knox flag. thanks @DjeMBeY for correcting this point :) you can use the root method (Root de la Vega) described here for rooting a device with knox bootloader.

5. If you try to downgrade to earlier firmware / bootloader it will set the knox flag to 0x1 i.e. void.

6. once the knox flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!)

7. some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the knox bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date.

8. I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new knox bootloader sound and wifi does not work. This is no longer the case, see point 12.

9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samsung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the knox 0x1 flag

10. only seems to affect GT-i9505 at the moment!

11. Software affected thanks to @DjeMBeY

12. it is now possible to install custom 4.3 TW roms which have been modified to work without the new knox bootloader, do make sure that they are free from knox bootloader before flashing. Do note also that if you already have knox bootloader flashing anything even these 4.3 custom roms will still trip your 0x1 flag
    Credit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470635
    Thanks to @Mr Impossible @Jamison904 @jovy23 and everyone else!
    @jovy23 flashed the OTA and now cannot Odin a custom recovery nor revert to MDL. Odin fails every time. I have a locked Verizon S4 I bought for testing (not much good that did) this is the exact same thing I fought weeks to brake.. Nothing. It is locked.
    DO NOT FLASH MODEMS/BASEBAND EITHER..... does not let u make phone calls on the leaked 4.3 tw version..... or the regular 4.2.2 version and like some1 said 4.4..... not sure if it works on the official 4.3 tw released today since no dev has released a rom of it... so do not flash if u need to make or receive phone calls makes ur phone freeze and wont make the actual call

Same here. Have tried GPE 4.3, stock 4.2.2, and international 4.3 TW. Phone freezes when trying to make a phone call.

Anyone taking the OTA or Odin the new firmware will be sorry they did. Modem is also tied to the bootloader somehow as was the i9505 and won't work without the bootloader. Seems to be more security in this also. More to come...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you already flashed the new modem and want to get back to MDL to make phone calls lol here it is

someone will come out with a version of 4.3 pre rooted with knox disabled and without newer bootloaders.. just waiting.

Since you have brought this up, Infamous Team has already started on that. :cool:

Join the group: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106093160117198923912
    This seems to be the problem

Anyone taking the OTA or Odin the new firmware will be sorry they did. Modem is also tied to the bootloader somehow as was the i9505 and won't work without the bootloader. Seems to be more security in this also. More to come...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk