[TELUS T959D Fascinate]-Running ONECOSMIC'S ICS

Search This thread

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
couple of observations as of late.

--- switch the the KG3 modem. Better bars and reception than stock or kc1 - but GPS doesn't have a clue where I am even after some fixes.

--- odd reason I have that time zone bug again (West Argentinian) but only seems to affect my lockscreen - and easily fixed by manually selecting the timezone (and I can change it to auto after it 'soaks' on atlantic time for a while.

Might try slim ICS at some point - seems to have a lot of fans and was put together by a guy here in Halifax. So may give that a whirl, but with things running really smooth and getting very good battery life, not in a rush to make change.

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC
So I've gone back to stock and backed up my imei folder. Problem I'm having now is that I can't get the drivers for my phone installed(?) I'm guessing. I'm seeing 2 removable disks that are from the phone in mycomputer but when I click on them it's telling me to insert disk into...so I've got no access to my phone files from the pc.

Tried to update in device manager but got no love there. I've got the most current version of Kies installed but I'm surely missing an important part of the puzzle.

Anyone help me?

edit: forgot to mention that I have flashed ICS and tried mass storage mode and debugging. I can access files in mass storage mode. Under device manager I see the phone as GT-I9000 with the dreaded yellow triangle and !.

I've tried everything I can think of here and I've got no more ideas...I'm sad now :(. h e l p p p

Last edited:

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
Ok then failing this, is there anyway to flash the backed up efs file on the phone from my sdcard?
can your phone boot up at all? You could just copy the EFS folder to your removable SD, stick it in your computer and voila - backed up.

You could also zip it or something (using ES File Explorer) and then load the zipped file up to dropbox or box via your phone and never actually have to 'drag' the file from phone to pc.

Not sure what you current state is Finn, but sorry for the predicament.

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC
It's got ICS on it but I'm just trying to update the backed up version of my efs file. The phone works fine but I used this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308546 to do the backup which worked as it should. However, since I can't get the drivers on my pc for the phone, I can't use the tool to install the backup efs file.

So I'm looking for a way to get the backed up efs where it should be to correct my imei number one way or the other.

Does your pc have the drivers installed for your device jp? I've not really had a problem with it before that I know of.

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC
Don't the drivers just come from Kies? I've got the latest version on my pc but for some reason they're not installed. I used Kies to go from froyo to gb no problem but I'm not sure if there's something I'm overlooking. Under device manager my phone is listed as gt-i9000.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

To backup and restore your efs can you just make a copy of the good one then flash ICS then replace the new efs file with the old? I wonder if I'm just making this more complicated than it should be?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

9 install a file manager with root access and backup your efs folder by copying it to the internal sdcard then your computer

Now to flash the latest super duper ROMs from the super duper devs you will need to do the following...

6 copy your backed up efs folder back to the phone to restore yout imei
Hey bucky, can backing up your efs then copying it back after flashing a new rom be as easy as this or does it have to be done using adb as the latter seems way out of my league and I'm having issues with this subject :D?

Matt5606

Sep 19, 2011
Greenwood
Yeah finn kies is supposed to install the drivers for your phone automatically. I found though when I plug in my phone to the computer it acts like I didn't install the drivers cuz it sees the gt i9000. I just cancel it and it works fine. Not sure if you need to install the nexus drivers, I have seen that mentioned quite a few times in the ICS thread for people having general connectivity issues. I didn't need to do it so I don't know how to go about it.

Sent from my Telus Fascinate running OneCosmics ICS!

Reactions: finneginsfast

koocheese

Dec 7, 2010
Yup, you're replacing the current EFS folder with the original, imagine windows drag and drop but with ES file explorer.
FYI, you need to go into ES file explorer settings and ensure these things are checked:
-UP to Root
-Root Explorer
-Mount File System

Don't the drivers just come from Kies? I've got the latest version on my pc but for some reason they're not installed. I used Kies to go from froyo to gb no problem but I'm not sure if there's something I'm overlooking. Under device manager my phone is listed as gt-i9000.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

To backup and restore your efs can you just make a copy of the good one then flash ICS then replace the new efs file with the old? I wonder if I'm just making this more complicated than it should be?

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Hey bucky, can backing up your efs then copying it back after flashing a new rom be as easy as this or does it have to be done using adb as the latter seems way out of my league and I'm having issues with this subject :D?

bucknetbucky

Aug 23, 2011
Sorry guys I have been extremely busy and not able to get on. Yes the efs is that easy that's why I posted it that way. Jp you are correct the glitch kernel allows for ics to BD flashed due to the new kernel version included. If you don't you will get build.prop errors. I am so far out I don't know what is up anymore. Sorry again I will be back soon. Have fun and happy flashing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC
Yes the efs is that easy that's why I posted it that way.
Yup sure is. So much of what I had read made it out to be like rocket surgery on steroids using ADB which was why I was confused. Not sure why all those tutorials are even around when it can be so simple. Even the program I was trying to use that was supposed to make it dead simple made my day so much more complicated, so there you have it!

Copy, paste, copy, paste done.

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
OK really liking the ICS TLJ3 modem. Getting signals where I previously had dead air, and GPS locks pretty quickly but usually reroutes - generally okay. KG3 I was getting great strength but GPS sucked - and when it locked it didn't know where I was (defeating the purpose of GPS LOL)

</not an iPhone>

Last edited:

finneginsfast

Mar 6, 2011
BC
So this could purely be coincidental but I'm no longer receiving push notification to my phone from this site since I reflashing this rom. I'm getting regular emails on that account and I'm getting them on my pc but not on my phone.

edit: I'm not getting them in either the gmail app nor the k9 app.

Last edited:

jpmccarthy

Jan 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
So this could purely be coincidental but I'm no longer receiving push notification to my phone from this site since I reflashing this rom. I'm getting regular emails on that account and I'm getting them on my pc but not on my phone.

edit: I'm not getting them in either the gmail app nor the k9 app.
I've never had push messages from XDA. That may be a setting - or are you saying that your email program is not delivering push messages?

I've had no issues as of late - phone is running great with nothing to tweak ... so I need to flash something new to break stuff again LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello.

This is where you can look at the tutorial and get the files to install if you feel like jumping into it ...

ICS Step by step and files

Note: if you do flash this and it hangs at the boot screen, pull the battery and flash it again and it should work. Some have had to do it 3 times.

I take no credit for this ROM and full props go to the developers of the above post and all those working to make this happen.

First the look and feel of ICS is nothing short of superb. The speed as of now is similar to all the other ROMS I have tried with a little chop here and there but nothing major.

Yes lots of little issues and items that do not work like the camera and GPS but not a huge deal for me so I am willing to stick to it.

Battery so far is decent. 13 hours and 43 min. on the first charge to calibrate and sitting at 24% still. This included allot of playing with the phone and reboots to test jigs ;)

As for the issues that are somewhat bothersome, they include the following.

1. No home or search button. I know same as usual when installing an i9000 ROM but the key mappings from the GB ROMS does not work.

2. BLN (issue all around) will remain lit until you wake the phone to get the notification.

3. They had to do some funky stuff to get 3G to work so it lags to start. Not a huge deal cause it does start and remain working.

I will be continuing to use this ROM and hopefully everything will be working soon (these guys are flying. Also I have been told that the folks over at Glitch are already working on the kernels for the ICS port so that is promising as well.

If there are any other out there running this on our phone chime in with your thoughts or fixes if you have any.

Thanx
    Bucky
    ICS install

Install ICS

So here are the full steps to get ICS running. I did a full format of the SD card to make sure everything would work. For a full change log and list of working and not working features please see the thread below

[ROM][ICS]Onecosmic's ICS Port Android 4.0.3

1. Flash back to stock 2.2

Download package: Stock 2.2 (Includes ODIN)

Steps to complete:
    1.1. Open ODIN and place the files in the proper sections.
    s1_odin_20100512.pit in "PIT"
    T959TLJL3-REV03-ALL-low-CL763100.tar.md5 in "PDA"
    T959TLJL3_FROYO_Phone-CL763100.tar in "PHONE"
    SGH-T959D-CSC-TLSJL3.tar.md5 in "CSC"

1.2. Start the phone in "Download" mode and connect to the computer. The first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and show a numerical COM port. Make sure the "Repartition is checked" and Click "Start" and let it finish. Disconnect when the yellow box changes to green and says "PASS"

You are now back to stock 2.2 (FROYO). At this point I formatted the internal SD card from the settings menu to make sure the install was clean.

2. Flash ICS Beta
    Things that you need
    A. CWM 3.0.0.5 enabled kernel.
    B. ICS RC1 ROM
    C. Super User (root fix)
    D. Glitch V14 pre2 Kernel (read the rest of the thread there are a few things to remember with this kernel)

2.1. Get those files download

2.2. Copy the ROM, Kernel and SU fix files to the SD card of the phone

2.3. Get into download mode and flash CWM kernel using odin (do not check mark on the repartition and phone efs clear!) It will be named voodoo.advanced.v666.2-20110111-21.53.tar. Put the file in the PDA slot and click start. Once complete the phone will restart and you will see ODIN showing “PASS”

2.4. Unplug your USB and let the phone boot. Shutdown and reboot into recovery with three button method.

2.5. Select "wipe data/factory reset", "Wipe cache partition" and under advanced "Wipe Davlik cache"

2.6. In recovery select "Install zip from SD card" then "choose zip from SD card". Select the ICS ROM and install. After it completes reboot the device. If it does not boot do not panic it's fine. Pull the battery and boot to recovery again and select "wipe data/factory reset", "Wipe cache partition" and under advanced "Wipe Davlik cache" and flash the ROM again

2.7. Once complete select the reboot now and let the ROM boot. This might take 5 - 10 min. but you should be running ICS.

SHOULD BE RUNNING ICS!!!

3. Check for root privileges. If you do not have root, boot into recovery and flash the SU fix.

At this point you should have a working base ICS ROM. There are lots of apps that will show incompatible in the market which I am sure will get resolved soon.

These steps have been confirmed to work but I cannot guarantee anything.

If there are other issues I strongly recommend reading through the thread and checking for any updated kernel releases from here http://ics.samsung-updates.com/ICSI9000/

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you brick your phone or lose any data. Do this at your own risk
    USB fix

no need i got everything working but i can't connect my usb to put my music back on my phone:( any help on that?

Try this (taken from http://ics.samsung-updates.com/trouble/)

--------------------------
    ** do not disconnect PHONE from USB at any point / 1) connect PHONE and let it try to install drivers * do not interrupt that process / 2) go to Device Manager and delete at this order: * check the option to uninstall files also -SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface -SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device -SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device / 3) uninstall SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones from applications / 4) reboot PC and watch it try to install drivers after * do not interrupt that process (should install one fast and fail on two others after a minute or two) / 5) install SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe and let it try to install drivers ( should install one more driver, yet one will fail after minute or two) / 6) download/install Terminal app from Market, open it and type: - su (grant superuser permission)
    - setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb / 7) now reboot your PHONE / last driver should be installed after a while
    ---------------------------

Hopefully this will work for you. In Linux all I needed to do was run the setprop command and it worked after a reboot.
    I followed the steps; cleared cache, dalvik cache, factory reset. I had it running once already. Trying it subsequent times, I've been getting this problem.

I used the ICS_4.0.3_r1-RC1-i9000-reupload.zip file, I'm assuming this is the right one.

Went back to Darky's 10.2.2, that installed no problem.

Well it should should work of you need help I can help through chat. Done it before lol

Sent from my I9000 using XDA App
    No prob man, did you just download that voodoo666 kernel from here on XDA? I've done a bit of reading, just wasn't sure if it was suitable for our device. Could you attach the file you used, just so i have the correct one??

Alright, so this is a short how-to for those that want to change their telco ID on their phone, to pretty much anything!

First off, you need to install SQLite Database Browser on your computer to do the required editing of the optable.db, which is found under /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony. Copy that file to your computer, open it up with SQLite, and you should see the editor opened up with tabs at the top. Click on "Browse Data" and under this tab there should be no data there. On the right, there is a button that says "New Record". Click it and you can now put info into it. Under plmn, put your current telco ID, telus is 302220. And under both "full" and "short" put what you want to see on your phone, i just used Telus as seen here. After you've made the required editing, save it, and transfer it back to your phone and replace the old optable.db with the new one you just edited.

Next, you need to find your apns-conf.xml and spn-conf.xml, which are both located under system/etc. I didn't have an spn-conf.xml, i originally downloaded it from another user on another post and edited for my use. But i've attached mine for you to edit as you want, just change the file extension to .xml after you download it. Open that file as a text doc and make the changes (again, this file has been set up for Telus so no changes are req'd) and put it in the system/etc folder. You should have your telco ID put in next to spnOverride numeric, and it should also be put in like this on the next line spn_override_only_on="302,220".

Lastly, you need to open up your apns-conf.xml file and find where your carrier is listed in there. When you find it, you need to make sure that it is listed with a numeric value, and with telus it looks like so (numeric="302220" mcc="302" mnc="220") As you can see, your numeric is your mcc plus your mnc. Once you have ensured that this is correct, save the file (if you had to make changes) and close it.

Once all these changes are done, just reboot your phone and it should now be displaying your carrier name, or whatever else you placed in the optable.db file back at the start!