[Q] Off to the World Cup in Brazil...

Search This thread

Wam7

Sep 27, 2006
London
I'm off to the World Cup in Brazil for a month, so while I'm away I'm looking for a ROM with absolutely brilliant battery life. I got the S4 the same day it came out and flashed the first rooted ROM available but since then have left it as is. The only other prerequisites are that it has Internet Calling (VOIP) and Call Recording though I can probably add the latter.

Which ROM do you knowledgeable folks recommend? I want to avoid KNOX and don't need one with all the bells and whistles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-26-12-02-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-26-12-02-50.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 46

mezo91

Dec 6, 2012
Cairo
Put it in power saver mode and disable wifi gps bluetooth etc.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Wam7

Sep 27, 2006
London
Put it in power saver mode and disable wifi gps bluetooth etc.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
That's just standard practice but thanks anyway. Do you know of a ROM with particular good battery, or maybe what ROM are you using and how long does your battery last?

I was a flashing junkie with my S2. Will search around the forums to see what guys are using and report back here what I find, just in case.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
All roms are similar. Try them out, custom kernel can help. But why not buy an extended battery instead? Will be more useful than changing rom and/or kernels and should provide ample battery life whilst there.

Wam7

Sep 27, 2006
London
All roms are similar. Try them out, custom kernel can help. But why not buy an extended battery instead? Will be more useful than changing rom and/or kernels and should provide ample battery life whilst there.
I have 5 spare batteries. ;) I just want to maximise the phone's usage of them. Any particular ROM you suggest? Which ROM are you using and which kernel is better for battery?

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Ahhh cool. Generally best rom threads are not allowed here. But I was heavily using the GE rom. But now back in TouchWiz I use the pre rooted rom and slim down extras I don't need. As for kernels I highly recommend KT or Alucard as you can tweak various options. KT also has a massive range of profiles and scripts and some of them provide excellent battery you can switch profiles on the go so you can have a really conservative profile to maximise battery then using the widget you can switch to another profile for balanced or performance. I do recommend trying them out before you go to get a feel. All devs here put hard work into their work so I won't say which is the best but those are my recommendations for you to try.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wam7

Wam7

Sep 27, 2006
London
Ahhh cool. Generally best rom threads are not allowed here. But I was heavily using the GE rom. But now back in TouchWiz I use the pre rooted rom and slim down extras I don't need. As for kernels I highly recommend KT or Alucard as you can tweak various options. KT also has a massive range of profiles and scripts and some of them provide excellent battery you can switch profiles on the go so you can have a really conservative profile to maximise battery then using the widget you can switch to another profile for balanced or performance. I do recommend trying them out before you go to get a feel. All devs here put hard work into their work so I won't say which is the best but those are my recommendations for you to try.

Excellent info thanks. I was thinking of trying one of the GE roms as I've pretty much turned off all the S4 features. I just need a lean customisable ROM. I presume I don't need to install KNOX with the KitKat ROM's you're referring to.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
I used Dans GE. Excellent rom, nice snappy and clean compared to TW. However I need the TW camera quality so had to switch back. I still switch between the 2 now and then. No need for knox just flash a custom rom via recovery if your on the old bootloader. I'm luckily still on the old bootloader and everything works fine especially on the GPE roms. I'll switch back once 4.4.3 GPE makes its way to the S4. Have fun and experiment :)

Wam7

Sep 27, 2006
London
Ahh, there's never superfluous information! A good job you mentioned the camera quality as though I use my a very good Oly XZ-2 for pictures, when it comes to panaroma pictures I do rely on the S4 so picture quality is a consideration. Which TW ROM are you using?

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Yeah the TW is handy in some situations. Golden Eye is very good. But I'm using the pre rooted rom which I've further slimmed down as it's based on stock with no tweaks. I use xposed for my tweaks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.