Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

Search This thread

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
Not sure how I'll manage to balance them upright but I'll see what I can do.

Purchased the extended GSM battery from a Korean eBay seller ( Korean gnex is shipping with the extended battery so I imagine that's how the seller obtained them). "Shimshop" is the eBay seller name if I recall correctly. It works just like the LTE extended battery and back cover in that it basically fills in the hump at the bottom. I can say even with out my wife's phone in front of me that the GSM version maintains the same thickness difference compared to the LTE version also with the extended battery

I think a better idea is to lay one phone down on top of the other. For example, place phone one down on the table on it's back. Then lay the second phone (again on it's back) on top of the 1st phone's screen - if that doesn't work maybe try laying them face to face. Then, use something like 2 books to make sure the tops/bottoms are lined up. Then snap a pic of the pin alignment.

If you try standing them up, and one of them is not level, it's going to throw off the alignment.

SaulBack

Aug 24, 2010
http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page...e+GALAXY+Nexus&cat=Vehicle+Mounts&skuno=93056

I emailed and asked them to check it.

Hello, yes the mount which is shown online has the 3-pin connector, as well as a Micro USB and 3.5mm plug for charging and audio output. This is compatible with both the GSM & LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Thanks

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: MVU-946685
Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk
Priority: Low

Shipping on the 23? Nice find. It seems pretty clear in the description and the response to the question that this is the one we've wanted. Crossing my fingers and waiting 12 days...

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
Shipping on the 23? Nice find. It seems pretty clear in the description and the response to the question that this is the one we've wanted. Crossing my fingers and waiting 12 days...

Just playing devil's advocate here....if this dock really did work for both the GSM/LTE versions, what benefit would it be for Samsung to say that it doesn't work with the LTE version?

You can buy the dock directly from Samsung, so if they claimed LTE compatability, that would enable them to sell more units. But that's not the case, Sammy is saying they're not compatible. Since Samsung manufactures the dock, I'm going to take their word over a 3rd party reseller who just wants to sell more units. Hope I'm wrong, but let's be logical here.

Also FWIW, the part # from fommy "ECS-K1F8BEGSTA" shows on Samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ECS-K1F8BEGSTA as the POS Vz Dock without the 3-pin functionality. I think fommy is supplying bad info.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdavet

SaulBack

Aug 24, 2010
Just playing devil's advocate here....if this dock really did work for both the GSM/LTE versions, what benefit would it be for Samsung to say that it doesn't work with the LTE version?

You can buy the dock directly from Samsung, so if they claimed LTE compatability, that would enable them to sell more units. But that's not the case, Sammy is saying they're not compatible. Since Samsung manufactures the dock, I'm going to take their word over a 3rd party reseller who just wants to sell more units. Hope I'm wrong, but let's be logical here.

Also FWIW, the part # from fommy "ECS-K1F8BEGSTA" shows on Samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ECS-K1F8BEGSTA as the POS Vz Dock without the 3-pin functionality. I think fommy is supplying bad info.

Agreed. I'm skeptical but hopeful. How reputable is Fommy? If the dock is not a 3-pin dock, they are straight up lying. The price is also questionable. It is the same price as Samsung's VZW crap dock. Not looking good.

I may have gotten a little too excited too quickly. But I still am hopeful.

Accord281

Jul 21, 2010
I have a GSM nexus and my wife has lte nexus. I will try to remember to compare them when we are both home from work. What should I be looking for in particular when comparing them? I have a digital caliper I can use to measure things but I'd like to know what measurements to take since it would be a PITA to take every single dimension on this device with all the curves.

Also, we both have extended batteries but I still have both original batteries and covers as well.

Since the phone is curved and setting one on top of the other might throw off the measurements, here is what I recommend:

Take a corner square (or a reasonable facsimile) and set it on the table and put the phone face down in the corner (ensuring the phone is perpendicular to the bottom). Then measure from the edge of the square to the center of the first pin. Do the same with the other phone. If they are the same then awesome!

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
It's pretty late and I'm about to stare at the back of my eye lids but I did a very quick and and crude measurement with my caliper and got roughly 147mm from an imaginary square bottom corner to the first gold contact on both the lte and GSM nexus. I'll do it again much more carefully and hopefully with pics in the morning before either of us leave for work. I'll put it this way, my first impression is that they're in same place but they are a small target so don't go throwing down money based solely on my initial and admittedly crude first measurement.

Reactions: Muo and Accord281

Accord281

Jul 21, 2010
It's pretty late and I'm about to stare at the back of my eye lids but I did a very quick and and crude measurement with my caliper and got roughly 147mm from an imaginary square bottom corner to the first gold contact on both the lte and GSM nexus. I'll do it again much more carefully and hopefully with pics in the morning before either of us leave for work. I'll put it this way, my first impression is that they're in same place but they are a small target so don't go throwing down money based solely on my initial and admittedly crude first measurement.

Awesome! That is good news so far. Just to clarify, is this what you measured?

gnexpinmeasurement.png

If so, I think you mean 47 mm :p

Last edited:

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)
img20120112080420.jpg

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.
img20120112080453.jpg

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)
img20120112080550.jpg

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.
img20120112080650.jpg

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.
img20120112080743.jpg

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)
img20120112080803.jpg

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)
img20120112081126.jpg

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.
img20120112081243.jpg

Comparison with standard battery installed. TOP: GSM, BOTTOM: LTE
img20120112081433.jpg

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.
img20120112081615.jpg

halo0

Jun 3, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow, great pics, thanks!

Which skin are you using and does it make the phone any easier to hold onto? By that I mean does it make it less slippery?

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
Wow, great pics, thanks!

Which skin are you using and does it make the phone any easier to hold onto? By that I mean does it make it less slippery?

Bestskinsever. Yes, it adds a bit of grip which was my only goal really. Didn't want the added bulk of a case. If you go that route follow their advice about applying the skin dry to the textured battery cover or else it will look bad.

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)

img20120112081433.jpg

First of all, BIG THANKS to ellesshoo for coming through and taking the time to do this.

Second of all, <sarcasm>please withhold your applause for my incredible photoshop skills </sarcasm>

As much as I was hopeful that the GSM car dock would be compatible with the LTE phone, I was very skeptical - as evident by some of my previous posts. I looked thru ellesshoo's pics and still wasn't convinced. The phones didn't look lined up or square to me in the pics so I was again skeptical. But as he stated, a lot of it had to do with camera angles.

What I decided to do was take the 9th photo (2nd from the bottom) and hack it up in gimp (poor man's photoshop). I cut the top phone out of the pic and pasted it on top of the bottom one. I made the top layer transparent so you could see thru it and check the alignment of everything. I also had to slightly rotate the top phone to get the proper alignment. My results indicate everything lines up. If anyone else has better photoshop skills, please give it a go and share your evaluation. Thanks!

nexusGSM_LTEoverlay.png

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

So....the million dollar question for ellesshoo....are you planning on ordering this dock to give us the low down :D ?

Gasaraki-

Jul 14, 2010
I'd like to know why no vendor seems to make a phone/case/combo that works together. On my old DX I had to remove the Verizon/Motorola OEM case to use with the Verizon/Motorola OEM dock. No sense.

Umm, you do know that if you have the OEM case and the OEM dock, the dock actually have a second layer you can take out so the phone will fit.

That why I like Motorola stuff. When I got the DX the dock was ready. It was a good dock and they thought about the people with cases. The new Motorola docks are even better. No more pluging in the audio jack just like the Galaxy Nexus but they did it without the 3 seashell system. Everything goes through the usb port and the port is part of the dock.

Now i'm stuff with the Nexus waiting for they magical dock that hopefully will fit my phone. :mad:

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
First of all, BIG THANKS to ellesshoo for coming through and taking the time to do this.

Second of all, <sarcasm>please withhold your applause for my incredible photoshop skills </sarcasm>

As much as I was hopeful that the GSM car dock would be compatible with the LTE phone, I was very skeptical - as evident by some of my previous posts. I looked thru ellesshoo's pics and still wasn't convinced. The phones didn't look lined up or square to me in the pics so I was again skeptical. But as he stated, a lot of it had to do with camera angles.

What I decided to do was take the 9th photo (2nd from the bottom) and hack it up in gimp (poor man's photoshop). I cut the top phone out of the pic and pasted it on top of the bottom one. I made the top layer transparent so you could see thru it and check the alignment of everything. I also had to slightly rotate the top phone to get the proper alignment. My results indicate everything lines up. If anyone else has better photoshop skills, please give it a go and share your evaluation. Thanks!

nexusGSM_LTEoverlay.png

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

So....the million dollar question for ellesshoo....are you planning on ordering this dock to give us the low down :D ?

I do indeed plan to order one whenever they become available. I used the N1 car dock all the time.

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
If that's the POS one, why is it delayed??!? The POS one is out, every store has it. So obviously this one is different than the Verizon one. :cool:

Maybe because they don't know their a$$es from a hole in the ground? It could very well be that they're waiting for the GSM dock....but their website is listing all the info for the lackluster Vz dock that's currently available. So no, they don't get my vote of confidence until they get their ish together.

FastEddie87

Dec 23, 2011
Tampa
Will there ever be

Will there ever be a real car dock we can buy ? the Bull **** Verizon car Mount Sucked I retured it same day, Why would they release a phone knowing we all want a real Dock and not have any for USA. I see the sites that will have soon but does any one know if we can you them!:cool:

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I just spoke with them. Here is there reply
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
Is this a real Car Dock or like the one Verizon sells that is just a car mount holder? I just don't want to buy what i just retured Thank you
This is from Fommy
I just order mine

Call accepted by operator Agent 2. Currently in room: Agent 2, Eduardo Cuenca Jr..

Agent 2:
Hello, are you referring to the vehicle mount for the Galaxy Nexus?
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
yes
Agent 2:
Yes the mount which we have comes with the 3-pin connector, and allows you to charge your phone through the actual mount
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
What is the USA cost and can i order it today
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
and it will work with my Verizon Phone
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
And once all is pluged in i don't have to keep removing the charger Right
Agent 2:
The item is $46.95. It is compatible with both the GSM & LTE versions, and it is currently on backorder from the manufacturer until 1/23
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
Great then I will place the order
Agent 2:
Alright, let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns
Eduardo Cuenca Jr.:
Thank you and have a great day
Agent 2:
You're welcome, have a wonderful day as well
This is From Fommy
I just Order Mine ;o)

Last edited:

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
I think the first question I would be asking fommy is if they're listing the correct part #. If they say yes, you can end the discussion there, because we know 100% the part # on fommy's website today is NOT the 3-pin version.

Last edited:

chesterharry

Jun 8, 2010
Fommy 3 Pin Car Dock with LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I had ordered the sought after 3 Pin Car Dock from Fommy, because the pictures matched the correct version (the GSM one). The ship date was supposed to be Dec 23rd. When January had rolled around with no word from Fommy.com I went back to the site and tried to find when it was due to ship (Jan 23rd was the revised date). The first person I chatted with confirmed that the dock would work with the LTE using the 3 pins, but the picture had changed to the VZW one that had cut outs for the charger and audio. I kept my order open with high hopes.

It wasn't sitting right the answer I was given, as it didn't match the product code or the image so I went back again to the site trying to find a final answer for the peoples. The agent I spoke with this time, gave different information and said the pins worked but that it had a cut out and I had to attach the USB cable each use. This made no sense. I asked when the image was changed, and was told the image never changed. Following this I asked if she was getting this question a lot, to which she said no one had asked about this before. Sadly I cancelled my order, as much as I wanted to believe, I have serious doubts about it correctly using the 3 pins, and not needing the USB power to be connected through the cut out each time it is docked.

And so it goes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

img20120112080420.jpg

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.
    img20120112080453.jpg

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)
    img20120112080550.jpg

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.
    img20120112080650.jpg

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.
    img20120112080743.jpg

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)
    img20120112080803.jpg

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)
    img20120112081126.jpg

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.
    img20120112081243.jpg

img20120112081433.jpg

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.
    img20120112081615.jpg
    I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.
    Does anyone know where we can get this dock in the US?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-nexus-vehicle-dock-ecs-k1f2begstd-p33499.htm

Apparently, VZ was selling the el cheapo version:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ay-want-to-pass-on-the-car-dock-from-verizon/

no true 3 pin docking functionality built in! It was essentially a $40 piece of plastic.

Here's a video of the dock in action. This has to be the most functional dock in existence. The only thing you'd want more is probably an ext antenna connection but mobiles don't have those! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TgFmP74I&feature=player_embedded

DOCK SOFTWARE UPDATE 2012-06-06:
    From Efrant: I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.

Coming soon, directly from Google, $54 USD:

https://play.google.com/store/devic...alaxy_nexus_hspa_car_dock&feature=accessories

galaxy_nexus_car_dock_banner_002.png

If everyone clicks on the NOTIFY ME button, Google will get the message that many customers are waiting for this product!
    So if I got this right:

LTE Nexus fits the Car dock
    It charges
    It works with AUX audio
    and the Pins all make contact

only question I have left is, does it work with the extended OEM battery for the LTE version?

I'm waiting for confirmation, I have my mouse ready to click "BUY" lol

Yes the OE extended battery fits.
    1st pic is with the standard battery
    0cb094a2-7c70-588b.jpg

this 2nd pic is with the extended battery and cover
    0cb094a2-7c8e-0926.jpg

I jumped the gun on the pic but it did charge once it finished booting

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XST4dFDi0WY&feature=youtu.be

There we go. I have a good video of my cats playing too if you are bored :)