[MOD][CM10.1][31/12] Multiuser Mod

Search This thread

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
Hey guys!

I was just curious if this could be done and apparently it can so I'm just sharing the apk here.
It basically does what the title says, it enables multiple users on the Samsung I9300.
This apk was made from the latest nightly build of CM10.1 for the I9300.

UPDATE 19/01:
I have updated framework-res.apk using the 2013/01/18 nightly build of CM10.1
Changed ROM to ParanoidAndroid. View attachment framework-res.apk
Changing the theme will cause the phone to crash when switching users. Reason unknown.

UPDATE 31/12:
I have created a flashable zip file that works with ClockWorkMod, though its untested as I haven't had time.
I have also uploaded new screenshots. Another update will be coming soon with an updated CM10.1

UPDATE 28/12:
I have updated the framework-res.apk using the CM10.1 nightly build.
With this update comes a restyled Lockscreen that will look nicer.
You may notice that it also doesn't interfere with widgets anymore.

PLEASE NOTE: This mod only works on Android 4.2 and higher! This mod has only been tested on Cyanogenmod 10.1!

Cheers!

Screenshots:

Screenshot_2012-12-30-22-07-20.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-07-34.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-26-17.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-08-06.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-24-04-15-57.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-24-04-16-06.jpg

Attachments

• multiuser_mod.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 1,852
Last edited:

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
Well...
if this mod allows multiple users like windows accounts, then there is another app on market called "switch me users root". It allows us to do everything.
I am not spamming this thread but i want to know what are its advantages and features over the app as mod looke interesting and i dont want to reply on an app. This mod will be great for me.

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
Well...
if this mod allows multiple users like windows accounts, then there is another app on market called "switch me users root". It allows us to do everything.
I am not spamming this thread but i want to know what are its advantages and features over the app as mod looke interesting and i dont want to reply on an app. This mod will be great for me.

I'm sorry but I couldn't find an app with that exact name, though I found one called SwitchMe Multiple Accounts (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme).

If you examine it carefully its not actually multi-user, it pretends to be by saying different people are logged in but all users can access each others files.

This mod enables the Google-built multi-user environment on your Samsung I9300 which is true multi-user by allowing each user to have their own apps, settings and files separated from one another. (http://www.android.com/whatsnew/ its a tablet feature enabled on a phone.)

I hope this clears things up!
Cheers!

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
I'm sorry but I couldn't find an app with that exact name, though I found one called SwitchMe Multiple Accounts (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme).

If you examine it carefully its not actually multi-user, it pretends to be by saying different people are logged in but all users can access each others files.

This mod enables the Google-built multi-user environment on your Samsung I9300 which is true multi-user by allowing each user to have their own apps, settings and files separated from one another. (http://www.android.com/whatsnew/ its a tablet feature enabled on a phone.)

I hope this clears things up!
Cheers!

Okay thanks.
Great mod buddy :good:.
Sorry i misspelled the app a little...
But great mod.
And its amazing to see that such mod has no bugs!
Has password system? I want full privacy (nevermind what you think :D, thats not the case) ;)

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
Okay thanks.
Great mod buddy :good:.
Sorry i misspelled the app a little...
But great mod.
And its amazing to see that such mod has no bugs!
Has password system? I want full privacy (nevermind what you think :D, thats not the case) ;)

As I mentioned this mod merely enables a Google-built feature, any changes are made by Google or the Cyanogenmod team. In saying that, yes, there is a password system, it works just like an ordinary lockscreen password.

H-KaN

Dec 7, 2010
Goslar
will this work with every nightly which will follow? do i have to reflash it anytime i update cm?

arunritz

Nov 9, 2012
MADURAI
help me.....

Hey guys!

I was just curious if this could be done and apparently it can so I'm just sharing the apk here.
It basically does what the title says, it enables multiple users on the Samsung I9300.

You need to adb push the apk and replace the current framework-res.apk

PLEASE NOTE: I haven't perfected the layout so the user switcher may be on top of your lockscreen widgets!

PLEASE NOTE: This mod only works on Android 4.2 and higher! This mod has only been tested on Cyanogenmod 10.1!

Cheers!

Screenshots:

View attachment 1586208View attachment 1586209View attachment 1586210View attachment 1586211View attachment 1586212View attachment 1586213
How to adb push???? A apk file??:(

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
I was experimenting with this last week and noticed a few things working on my own solution:

Phone app doesn't work, can't place a call on another user. Source of phone app checks for userid == 0.
Using the user switcher tile tries to load the multi user view widget, which is missing. So adding it manually on the lock screen is a bad idea as it interferes with the widget space.

Have you looked into this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
I was experimenting with this last week and noticed a few things working on my own solution:

Phone app doesn't work, can't place a call on another user. Source of phone app checks for userid == 0.
Using the user switcher tile tries to load the multi user view widget, which is missing. So adding it manually on the lock screen is a bad idea as it interferes with the widget space.

Have you looked into this?

The lock screen widgets at the moment are kinda useless so the user switcher is placed on top, but this is noted in the first post.
As for the phone app, if you can send me the exact location of that code (file and line) then I can take a look at it but I make no promises to get it working.

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
Well I started working on this last week on Tuesday, but got hold up due to x-mas etc.

When I'm home I'll show you the exact lines where it checks, I'm not sure why it checks for userid 0. Maybe just leaving it out will make it work.

I don't think that the widget is useless, overlaying the switcher is just ugly and hackish. If you put the switcher into a widget the android way it would be a much better solution.

It's also the reason why I hadn't put up a topic on xda. Because my solution right now makes any widgets on the lock screen get an offset and I'd rather get the widget working so if you use the tile switcher it doesn't add a non existing one (square with a plus sign).

Just my two cents :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!

UPDATE 19/01:
    I have updated framework-res.apk using the 2013/01/18 nightly build of CM10.1
    Changed ROM to ParanoidAndroid. View attachment framework-res.apk
    Changing the theme will cause the phone to crash when switching users. Reason unknown.

UPDATE 31/12:
    I have created a flashable zip file that works with ClockWorkMod, though its untested as I haven't had time.
    I have also uploaded new screenshots. Another update will be coming soon with an updated CM10.1

UPDATE 28/12:
    I have updated the framework-res.apk using the CM10.1 nightly build.
    With this update comes a restyled Lockscreen that will look nicer.
    You may notice that it also doesn't interfere with widgets anymore.

Cheers!

Screenshots:

Screenshot_2012-12-30-22-07-20.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-07-34.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-26-17.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-30-22-08-06.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-24-04-15-57.jpgScreenshot_2012-12-24-04-16-06.jpg
    Which CM nightly did you try it on?

the 2012-12-21 nightly build
    http://get.cm/get/5oQ
    will this work with every nightly which will follow? do i have to reflash it anytime i update cm?

This should work with upcoming nightlies but I provide no guarantee that it will.
    And yes you will need to flash it again every time you update CM10.1
    How to adb push???? A apk file??:(

- copy APK to /system using Root Explorer or any other file manager with root access
    - now set correct permissions (rw-r--r--)
    - move and replace APK to /system/framework
    - reboot

OP: thanks for this mod
    Well I started working on this last week on Tuesday, but got hold up due to x-mas etc.

When I'm home I'll show you the exact lines where it checks, I'm not sure why it checks for userid 0. Maybe just leaving it out will make it work.

I don't think that the widget is useless, overlaying the switcher is just ugly and hackish. If you put the switcher into a widget the android way it would be a much better solution.

It's also the reason why I hadn't put up a topic on xda. Because my solution right now makes any widgets on the lock screen get an offset and I'd rather get the widget working so if you use the tile switcher it doesn't add a non existing one (square with a plus sign).

Just my two cents :)

I do agree that it would be nice making the widget, but do remember that CM10.1 still has a long way to go for the i9300.
    Also I don't have the development environment setup for Android because I'm a C# and Web developer so I find it easier to stick with Windows.
    Plus I'm too lazy / busy with other projects to setup a forth development environment, I just made this mod so my girlfriend could play games on my phone and install all her stuff without cluttering my user space. :silly: