[MOD][VZW][4.2 & 4.4]Statusbar Graphic fixes

Search This thread

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
So, I love the Moto X, but a couple things had been bugging me about it.

• The giant 4G LTE icon (We get it Verizon, it's your network)
  • The weird wifi icon spacing
  • The 5 bar signal bar (I don't get this one. Is this a new thing? Does any other phone on verizon do this?
  • The glitchy 5 bar drawable (There's a weird extra line in there for some reason.)

So I did a small edit to the SystemUI to fix those for me, and I figured you guys might like it too.

Go from this:

2013-11-17%2006.29.43.png

To this:

2013-11-17%2006.32.50.png

Download the modded SystemUI flashable zip [4.2.2] here.
To install, just flash in Safestrap.

NEW Download the edit for 4.4 here. This is not a flashable zip. Since we don't have Safestrap for 4.4 just yet, check out how to apply it below:

----------------------------

Download the SystemUI and place it in a folder.
CD into that folder, and open a command line/terminal there. (If you don't have ADB in your path, you will have to put it where ADB is.)
Do the following (make sure you're in "recovery" mode so things stick)
Code:
adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/

adb shell
----------(this will enter you into a shell on the device)-----------
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/priv-app/
reboot recovery

UPDATES
(11/17) 1.01 - Fixed some unchanged images when you're on 3G/1X and wifi.

(11/26) 2.0 Added a 4.4 version (No Safestrap)

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR SYSTEMUI BEFORE REPLACING IT.

To-Do next - Remove mobile indicator on wifi.

Enjoy~

Last edited:

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
So, this should theoretically be possible on a locked MotoX, correct? Would you mind giving me the edits you made for removing the weird wifi spacing?

I assume to make the SystemUI edit, I would have to deodex my SystemUI.apk, correct?

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
So, this should theoretically be possible on a locked MotoX, correct? Would you mind giving me the edits you made for removing the weird wifi spacing?

I assume to make the SystemUI edit, I would have to deodex my SystemUI.apk, correct?

This is already for locked bootloaders. Just flash in safestrap!

Also, funny story about the wifi spacing, I didn't actually edit anything but the images. Moto/VZ actually had too much space on the icon itself! Probably to make room for the 4GLTE icon. That too, was just a simple image edit/swap, and it fell right back where it was supposed to be. Weird that they did that. If they wanted their LTE icon that bad, they could have easily done it tastefully.

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
This is already for locked bootloaders. Just flash in safestrap!

Also, funny story about the wifi spacing, I didn't actually edit anything but the images. Moto/VZ actually had too much space on the icon itself! Probably to make room for the 4GLTE icon. That too, was just a simple image edit/swap, and it fell right back where it was supposed to be. Weird that they did that. If they wanted their LTE icon that bad, they could have easily done it tastefully.

Wooooooooooooow. I can't believe they put space in the actual images. Stupid if you ask me. However, that doesn't make sense. Gravity Box has an option for using its built in icons. These icons still have the spacing issue.

What I'm asking is if I can use this to work on a LOCKED MotoX. Would I just need to deodex the SystemUI.apk?

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
Wooooooooooooow. I can't believe they put space in the actual images. Stupid if you ask me. However, that doesn't make sense. Gravity Box has an option for using its built in icons. These icons still have the spacing issue.

What I'm asking is if I can use this to work on a LOCKED MotoX. Would I just need to deodex the SystemUI.apk?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by locked Moto X. I would assume deodexing the SystemUI would work. Also, related, does this image have the weird wifi spacing you're talking about?

2013-11-18%2016.24.25.png

Last edited:

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by locked Moto X. I would assume deodexing the SystemUI would work. Also, related, does this image have the weird wifi spacing you're talking about?

2013-11-18%2016.24.25.png

No it does not.

Locked MotoX... you know... not the dev edition? I'm on stock ROM, rooted. Not using safestrap or anything.

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]
No it does not.

Locked MotoX... you know... not the dev edition? I'm on stock ROM, rooted. Not using safestrap or anything.

Yeah that's what I thought you meant. I am also on a retail locked Moto X. Safestrap is MADE for our phones. Just head over to this thread, install it and you will have basically TWRP, ready to flash Safestrap-compatible ROMs and zip file mods.

If you'd rather though, you can just push the SystemUI to /system/app manually using ADB. If you know how, and would prefer that, you can use this code:

Code:
adb push SystemUI/apk /sdcard/
adb shell
su
getprop ro.boot.write_protect
If this does not return a 0, you need to reboot into "recovery" to turn off write protect. Then

Code:
cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app
reboot recovery

And that will do basically what the ZIP does.

Last edited:

cabraswell

Oct 22, 2010
Foothills, NC
I'm no expert but I'm inclined to believe that the backup you made of the SystemUI.apk would be your back to stock option. You'd just have to push it to your phone or something like that.

cabraswell

Oct 22, 2010
Foothills, NC
How difficult would itnbe to port these to 4.4 (obviously in white and with no safestrap)? I'd really like to my get rid of Vzw's giant 4G icon.

Thanks

cabraswell

Oct 22, 2010
Foothills, NC
you = awesome!

Just an FYI (you probably already know this), I was able to use Root Explorer and mount /system/priv-app/ as R/W and copy the apk there instead of using adb. After I copied it there I just did a reboot and it's "fixed" now.

Last edited:
Reactions: j2cool2012

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
you = awesome!

Just an FYI (you probably already know this), I was able to use Root Explorer and mount /system/priv-app/ as R/W and copy the apk there instead of using adb. After I copied it there I just did a reboot and it's "fixed" now.

Yep that's a way you can do it! Only reason I didn't say is cause when you mess with SystemUI, it might reboot your phone before you can get the new one in there. Glad it worked though!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mangordi89

Sep 21, 2010
Anyway to make this work for Sprint? I couldn't find anything regarding status bar mods via Systemui.apk for Sprint. Thanks!

cabraswell

Oct 22, 2010
Foothills, NC
How much would it take to make it say LTE instead of 4G? I also think I prefer the 4 bar signal instead of 5.

I'd be happy to do my own work I just don't know which/how many files to edit.

Last edited:

j2cool2012

Nov 15, 2010
j2cool.com
How much would it take to make it say LTE instead of 4G? I also think I prefer the 4 bar signal instead of 5.

I'd be happy to do my own work I just don't know which/how many files to edit.

Alright check this out.All you gotta do is go into the SystemUI.apk, and search for any icon that says zz_moto_...._4g_lte and relpace it with the LTE logo from the normal files at the top. If you look for the icons without the zz_moto on the front that have a similar name, you'll find it. And to do the 4 bars, you have to either mess with XML files, or do it the "cheaty" way by renaming the 4bar drawables their 5-bar counterparts names. (zz_moto_stst_system_signal_5bar_)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I love the Moto X, but a couple things had been bugging me about it.

• The giant 4G LTE icon (We get it Verizon, it's your network)
    • The weird wifi icon spacing
    • The 5 bar signal bar (I don't get this one. Is this a new thing? Does any other phone on verizon do this?
    • The glitchy 5 bar drawable (There's a weird extra line in there for some reason.)

So I did a small edit to the SystemUI to fix those for me, and I figured you guys might like it too.

Go from this:

2013-11-17%2006.29.43.png

To this:

2013-11-17%2006.32.50.png

Download the modded SystemUI flashable zip [4.2.2] here.
    To install, just flash in Safestrap.

NEW Download the edit for 4.4 here. This is not a flashable zip. Since we don't have Safestrap for 4.4 just yet, check out how to apply it below:

----------------------------

Download the SystemUI and place it in a folder.
    CD into that folder, and open a command line/terminal there. (If you don't have ADB in your path, you will have to put it where ADB is.)
    Do the following (make sure you're in "recovery" mode so things stick)
    Code:
    adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/

adb shell
    ----------(this will enter you into a shell on the device)-----------
    Code:
    su
    cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/priv-app/
    reboot recovery

UPDATES
    (11/17) 1.01 - Fixed some unchanged images when you're on 3G/1X and wifi.

(11/26) 2.0 Added a 4.4 version (No Safestrap)

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR SYSTEMUI BEFORE REPLACING IT.

To-Do next - Remove mobile indicator on wifi.

Enjoy~
    Ah i see now. Check out the above post. I just edited it with manual instructions.

You're awesome--I really appreciate it!
    How difficult would itnbe to port these to 4.4 (obviously in white and with no safestrap)? I'd really like to my get rid of Vzw's giant 4G icon.

Thanks

hehehehehe

I may or may not have already

Screenshot_2013-11-26-00-17-44.png

OP being updated soon. Make sure you let me know of any glitches you find.
    you = awesome!

Same instructions apply for rooted Dev Edition?

Edit: And do we keep the odex file?

Yep. Only thing being Dev edition changes is that your boot loader is unlocked.
    And yes, odex file needs to stay.
    Does the vzw Moto X use a particular folder for it's images? Such as drawable-xhdpi? I remember doing this once before (a long time ago, on a Droid X) and it used one particular folder it seemed.

I am quite the rookie here but trying to learn so I can help myself and perhaps some others down the road. Any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Yes, when you look in the SystemUI, you will see a bunch folders. Since our device is an xhdpi device, most of its images (drawables) will be housed inside drawable-xhdpi. Drawable and layout are folders that house the XML files that tell the system HOW to display different items. To edit those though, you'd have to decompile the apk.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk