[ROM][AOSPA][HALO][PIE][PEEK] Unofficial ParanoidAndroid 4.3 Nightlies (Vanilla or HALO) [BETA 6]

Search This thread

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
[ROM][AOSPA][HALO][PIE][PEEK] Unofficial ParanoidAndroid 4.3 Nightlies (Vanilla or HALO) [BETA 6]

Details:

As of right now, these builds do not include Hover. The ParanoidAndroid team is still cleaning up the source code and will release it when they see fit. As soon as they do, I'll include it in my builds. Pie AND Peek are now included.

I've been making nightly builds of ParanoidAndroid for a while, and I figured I might as well share them for anyone who's interested. Some people are interested in just the latest nightlies with the merged codes from the gerrit, and for them I have a clean build with exactly that. Whatever changes are officially merged in gerrit are in these nightlies. However, I know some people, including myself, are also interested in using Halo on my Nexus 5. For those people, I also have a build that is exactly the same, but with Halo added. Download whichever you're interested in!

I didn't change anything from the PA team, so the kernel and everything else is the PA team's work. Depending on the latest merges, I may or may not edit a few lines so that Halo still works with the newest changes.

Disclaimer:
Your warranty is now void. Use at your own risk.
In other words: It is your choice to use this software,
I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have.

Changelog:
For the latest changes added, check the merged section of the PA gerrit, found here. You can also check my most recent post in the thread. With every new build, I'll post a changelog and direct link to the builds in the thread.

Installation instructions:

Coming from another ROM
1. Do a nandroid backup (enter recovery -> backup)
2. Wipe system, data, and cache
3. Flash ROM + Gapps
4. Reboot and enjoy

Coming from official ParanoidAndroid or an older nightly
1. Do a nandroid backup
2. Flash ROM
3. Reboot and enjoy

Downloads:
- Latest nightlies with Halo uploaded to my Google Drive - Latest nightly: pa_hammerhead-4.3-BETA6-20140524.zip

- Latest nightlies without Halo uploaded to my Google Drive - Latest nightly: pa_hammerhead-4.3-BETA6-20140523.zip

- PA Gapps

Note: I won't build and upload a new nightly if there's nothing new to add. If there isn't a new nightly for the day, then check the gerrit before PMing me to ask for a new build.

Screenshots:
Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-45-55.png

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-46-11.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-46-24.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-47-00.jpg

Thanks/credits:
ParanoidAndroid team and anyone who helps them

If you particularly enjoy these builds, and you find yourself feeling generous, feel free to buy me a snack with my donation link. If not, I'm just happy knowing some of you guys like these.

Note: if you see anything in the open section of the gerrit that you want in a build, PM me and I'll try my best to get you your very own build with it included.

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][AOSPA] Unofficial ParanoidAndroid 4.3 Nightlies (with and without HALO) [BETA], ROM for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
jabza
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
Based On: ParanoidAndroid

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 4.3
Stable Release Date: 2014-04-28
Current Beta Version: 2
Beta Release Date: 2014-04-30

Created 2014-02-07
Last Updated 2014-05-23

Last edited:

fzr-r4

Sep 7, 2010
Berkeley
thanks for sharing. I had been able to merge halo until around the beta 4 merges, so thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fzr-r4

Sep 7, 2010
Berkeley
jabza, this works great! why don't you submit your merges for the halo framework and settings to the AOSPA github?

Reactions: jabza

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
Out of curiosity - why isn't PA doing this themselves if it works fine?

They want their official releases to be 100% rock solid stable. With these nightlies, you might run into some bugs here or there. With 4.4, the PA team has a new philosophy where they want the user experience to be as close to stock (and bug-free) as possible.

That being said, I've run into almost no bugs in running PA nightlies, so it's probably a "just in case" sort of thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: ZULU2189

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
jabza, this works great! why don't you submit your merges for the halo framework and settings to the AOSPA github?

Woops, sorry. I didn't see your post earlier; it must've showed up while I was typing my response to the other. And because the PA team is still working on it, so they don't want it merged yet. Besides, I'm not doing much besides compiling it, so it's predominantly their work. If I make any significant patches, though, they'll be submitted to the gerrit.

fzr-r4

Sep 7, 2010
Berkeley
Woops, sorry. I didn't see your post earlier; it must've showed up while I was typing my response to the other. And because the PA team is still working on it, so they don't want it merged yet. Besides, I'm not doing much besides compiling it, so it's predominantly their work. If I make any significant patches, though, they'll be submitted to the gerrit.

it seems most of the recent merges have been rebasing and resolving conflicts, so i don't think the PA team would mind if you shared your conflict resolutions to get Halo working!

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
To anybody getting antsy, I haven't uploaded a new nightly recently because there haven't been any changes since the last one. Thus, there's no use spending time building/uploading one and having you download it, as it'll be the exact same ROM.

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
I've been wanting Halo back, but don't have the patience to wait for the PA team. Thanks for this.

Same here, and I know I'm not the only one, so that's why I decided to put this up. :good:

Also, for anyone who's interested, they've merged more again today and I posted new builds. Here was the only change from the gerrit:
Code:
Update prebuilt su

v1.93

braders2k

Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for this, only issue can't seem to get halo to use hangout as default SMS app.. any ideas?

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for this, only issue can't seem to get halo to use hangout as default SMS app.. any ideas?

What do you mean? Do you mean Halo doesn't open Hangouts when you get an SMS or do you mean Hangouts isn't staying set as your default SMS app? Which Gapps did you use?

Either way, it seems to work fine for me. Screenshot_2014-02-08-15-29-22.jpg

Last edited:

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
Just updated the OP with new builds uploaded to my Drive; MediaFire didn't want to upload them today for some reason. Anyways, for those of you keeping yourselves updated, this is a big one. The PA team merged a lot of new changes today, and it was mostly bug fixes and technical details, with a few more notable exceptions.

ParanoidOTA 2.0
Code:
- Removed su access
- Built in /system/priv-app
- Lock android sdk version to 19
- Added README
- Removed recovery settings
- openrecoveryscript and extendedcommand are created to give support for both recoveries at the same time

PS2:  Update message for newer gapps if there's no update
      Prevent showing an error message if at least one mirror is working

PS3:  Back to date as a string (to deal with date+letter gapps version)
      Show file size for goo files
      Update fragment: use roboto thin font

PS4:  Change commit message

PS5:  New cards ui layout
      Serveral bug fixes
      Add support for gapps micro packages
      Simplified application flow

PS6:  Fix rotation issues
      Change some ugly strings
      Remove cache access (no need for it)

PS7:  Fix NPE

PS8:  Beautify the code
      Save cards expanded state

PS9:  Cards' buttons fit better in the card
      Go to download card when starting the app and there's a download

PS10: Readd cache permission

PS11: Fix flow issues

PS12: Use installed pa_gapps as default value in settings

PS13: Modified layout for tablets in landscape
      Disable 'cancel download' button until the download really starts

Rework Notification LED
Code:
Rework notification LED a bit.

* Clean up code, improve logic.

PS6: According to android writing style update string for "OK"
     https://developer.android.com/design/style/writing.html
PS7: Whitespaces.

Other than that, it's mostly fixes for memory leaks, WiFi bugs, a couple lock screen bugs, and some updated translations. Either way, there were tons of changes, so check it out!

P

paranoidaditya

thankyou @jabza for your work , Using this as my daily driver , coming from omnirom , will use it till PA releases official stable build

Dougshell

Feb 26, 2012
It keeps downloading a .bin file

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Ok I got it to work but the build date is still the 2nd

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
It keeps downloading a .bin file

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Ok I got it to work but the build date is still the 2nd

I think the build number stays the same from the last time you did a clean flash. But if you go to the ParanoidOTA app and it has a card based UI, you know you got the changes. The build date in phone settings is just inaccurate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Details:

As of right now, these builds do not include Hover. The ParanoidAndroid team is still cleaning up the source code and will release it when they see fit. As soon as they do, I'll include it in my builds. Pie AND Peek are now included.

I've been making nightly builds of ParanoidAndroid for a while, and I figured I might as well share them for anyone who's interested. Some people are interested in just the latest nightlies with the merged codes from the gerrit, and for them I have a clean build with exactly that. Whatever changes are officially merged in gerrit are in these nightlies. However, I know some people, including myself, are also interested in using Halo on my Nexus 5. For those people, I also have a build that is exactly the same, but with Halo added. Download whichever you're interested in!

I didn't change anything from the PA team, so the kernel and everything else is the PA team's work. Depending on the latest merges, I may or may not edit a few lines so that Halo still works with the newest changes.

Disclaimer:
    Your warranty is now void. Use at your own risk.
    In other words: It is your choice to use this software,
    I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have.

Changelog:
    For the latest changes added, check the merged section of the PA gerrit, found here. You can also check my most recent post in the thread. With every new build, I'll post a changelog and direct link to the builds in the thread.

Installation instructions:

Coming from another ROM
    1. Do a nandroid backup (enter recovery -> backup)
    2. Wipe system, data, and cache
    3. Flash ROM + Gapps
    4. Reboot and enjoy

Coming from official ParanoidAndroid or an older nightly
    1. Do a nandroid backup
    2. Flash ROM
    3. Reboot and enjoy

Downloads:
    - Latest nightlies with Halo uploaded to my Google Drive - Latest nightly: pa_hammerhead-4.3-BETA6-20140524.zip

- Latest nightlies without Halo uploaded to my Google Drive - Latest nightly: pa_hammerhead-4.3-BETA6-20140523.zip

- PA Gapps

Note: I won't build and upload a new nightly if there's nothing new to add. If there isn't a new nightly for the day, then check the gerrit before PMing me to ask for a new build.

Screenshots:
    Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-45-55.png

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-46-11.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-46-24.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-01-23-47-00.jpg

Thanks/credits:
    ParanoidAndroid team and anyone who helps them

If you particularly enjoy these builds, and you find yourself feeling generous, feel free to buy me a snack with my donation link. If not, I'm just happy knowing some of you guys like these.

Note: if you see anything in the open section of the gerrit that you want in a build, PM me and I'll try my best to get you your very own build with it included.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][AOSPA] Unofficial ParanoidAndroid 4.3 Nightlies (with and without HALO) [BETA], ROM for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
    jabza
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: ParanoidAndroid

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.3
    Stable Release Date: 2014-04-28
    Current Beta Version: 2
    Beta Release Date: 2014-04-30

Created 2014-02-07
    Last Updated 2014-05-23
    Ha, silly me, it turns out that a } got lost when I merged the Pie 2.0 commit. Anyhow, both builds are done and uploaded. Here's the changelog:

Pie 2.0
    Code:
    Pie is an alternative navigation and system info interface. It replaces the
    standard navbar/statusbar with a navigation arc decorated with statusbar info.

Important notes for developers:
    * When PIE is enabled apps don't even have to support immersive mode, they just have
      to check for configuration updates (sadly not even this is done by all apps).
      When PIE is disabled, apps have to setup an "onSystemUiVisibilityChangeListener"
      (best practice for PIE enabled, too).
    * Changed how ActivityInfo handles apps capabilities like recalculate screen
      size etc. Check code comment(s).

Some info:
    * Quicksettings and notification panels are not available anymore, google now
      replace swipe up gesture.
    * Switched to kitkat colors.
    * General improvement to the code, reorganize classes.
    * Cleanup a lot and remove useless code.
    * Merge with immersive mode, they live in a homogenized state.
    * Improve immersive code a bit.
    * Upon first activation, toggling immersive tile, the user is presented with a dialog asking
      to enable or disable the feature. The preference can be resetted in "Backup & restore" in settings.
    * Reduce and center its trigger area.
    * While pie is triggered screen is keept on.
    * Depending on immersive mode, will show full or lite pie.
    * New circled snap points.
    * Detach pie on every rotation and/or when screen goes off while you have it triggered.
    * What else, what some slices?

Key contributors:
    @BigBrother1984
    @D4rKn3sSyS
    @Anu6is
    @David96
    @drcmda

Bug fixes
    Code:
    Readd deleted space to vendor.mk
       - It's necessary to show correctly the version while building

Check just first char of the version string for gapps updater in ParanoidOTA
       - PS2: Don't remove letters from version

Remove dead code from frameworks/base/core/java/android/util/CharsetUtils.java
       - This hasn't been used since at least 2011, and we're no longer
         shipping the data supporting it either.

Translations
    Code:
    Czech translations
       - Small fixes in Settings app.

Alright, for those of you who have been waiting patiently (or not-so-patiently) for Pie, it's finally here. Here are your direct links.
    Halo

Vanilla
    Hi guys. Today's build does include Quiet Hours. I opted to remove the changes that took out Quiet Hours. If anyone would rather have it taken out as shown in the gerrit, let me know and I'll make you a build no problem. That being said, here's today's changes:

Quicksettings
    Code:
    Immersive: Make last active state a system variable.

Will persist after reboot.

ParanoidOTA
    Code:
    Fix crash when no gapps are installed

Adjust margins

Spanish and catalan translations

French translation
    >PS2/PS3: Corrected typo

SystemUI
    Code:
    Add missing catalan translation

PS2: some corrections

As usual, here is your link to the Halo build

And, a couple spaces lower so you know you tapped the right link, here is your direct link to the vanilla build
    Sorry this wasn't out sooner, but I was waiting for them to post Pie to gerrit. I assumed it would be a few hours after release. However, after going to bed and not seeing it in the morning, I figured I'd ask them. This was the response.

Google+ Comment said:
    Paranoid Android
    3:55 PM

+Jacob Visick Should not be longer than 1 week delay. There needs to be some clean up in the sources

So, it looks like it won't be today. It will probably be a few days before we can get Pie available for me to build with. However, these are still nightlies, so I'm still going to update my builds. So you can keep updated with this thread, and I'll be sure to let you guys know when they finally release the sources for Pie. In the meant time, you're in luck if you are one of these three things:

- You love Halo so much, Pie doesn't matter to you (or you can at least wait a few more days)
    - You for some reason want to still use my Vanilla build of AOSPA 4.1 without Pie (for the time being)
    - You want to try my new "testing" build

Because I have just made new builds! Even without Pie, there was still a decent size changelog since my last build. Here it is.

Disable safe headset volume warning
    Code:
    In some countries, regulations require that a warning be displayed when the media volume is being raised above recommended level while using a headset. As this is regulation we don't simply remove the warning, but instead give the user the option to disable it. In this implementation, the user is presented with the warning at least once, at which point they are given the option to disable it completely (via on-the-spot preference).

Languages
    Code:
    Update Spanish translations

VolumePanel
    Code:
    Don't force navigation bar; It always annoyed me that when changing volume while in immersive the navigation bar is shown.

Bug fixes
    Code:
    Correct string reference error introduced in https://gerrit.paranoidandroid.co/#/c/3729/

QuickSettings: Fix derp in QuickSettingsTouchListener.

QuickSettings: Fix derp on imports

Update and fix build fingerprint: Corrected device codenames and update all fingerprints to 4.4.2/KOT49Hp

Allow forcing HighEndGfx mode
    Code:
    People have already started fipping the lomRam prop to enable transparent status bar, this will enable it with fewer repercussions

QuickSettings
    Code:
    Switch quick settings drag to long click 
    PS2: Remove unused variables 
    PS3: Fix build

So, if you like that list, I'll give you a link to my builds.

For the build with Halo, which I assume most of you want, you can get it here or click the folder link in the OP and get the MD5 as well. The Halo build includes Quiet Hours, while the Vanilla and official builds of AOSPA do not currently. The removed it to rework it, but I opted to leave it in for the meantime.

For the Vanilla build, which I assume almost none of you want, you can get it at this link, or click the link in the OP and grab it + the MD5 from the folder.

For those of you who are adventurous, I also made a testing build. It has everything mentioned above, as well as this changelog:

Frameworks Base changes
    Code:
    - Fix indirect misuse of $(my-dir)

- core: add support for translucent volume panel
    Add support for display the volume panel in translucent mode

- Custom lockscreen wallpaper
    Accessible via launcher wallpaper selector and Settings - Display - Wallpaper - Lock screen
    (note: this doesn't work using the Google+ Photos app – use Gallery to set it)

- Navigation Bar: Toggle last app on recents button long press
    Long pressing the recent apps button on the navigation bar will launch the last open app.
    Cherry-picked from omnirom/android_frameworks_base@6fb093b

Base: Allow hiding notification icons
    When long pressing a notification, add another menu
    item which allows the user to hide the notification icon
    (but keep the actual notification in the dropdown).
    This is meant for applications which have services running
    in the statusbar which the user is aware of, so right now
    we hide the icon by the package.
    PS1: * rebase "fix conflicts with recent merges"
         * cleanup spaces
         * Add string discription

Settings package changes
    Code:
    - Settings: Reorder Settings
    Give case sensitive format to all notes
    Move Location to Networking
    Move Personal behind Networking
    Group App and App Ops with Security inside Personal
    Add Advanced section

Quiet Hours
    Code:
    Revert the commits that removed Quiet Hours

And last, but hopefully not least, you can find that testing build here, as well as the MD5 just to be safe. You can check out the code for it yourself on my GitHub under the branch titled "test". The branch "kitkat" is the code I use for my Halo builds, which only includes commits officially merged in the PA gerrit + the commits for Halo.

Remember, you can dirty flash any of these builds over each other. You can dirty flash from my builds to the official PA builds, you can dirty flash the official PA builds to my builds, and you can dirty flash between the Halo, Vanilla, and testing builds as you please. I've been doing it for a while. If you run into any crazy bugs though, you can always try a clean flash. It's generally the first step for troubleshooting.

Sorry for the monstrously long post guys. :silly:
    ooh, the new commits look great: speed up booting on multi-core devices. apparently it makes the optimizing way faster when optimizing dalvik.

Actually, last night I was getting bored and made myself a testing build with a few unmerged commits, and that was one of them. The speed gains are ridiculous. I flashed it and the usual "android is upgrading" dialog came up. I had around 160 apps to upgrade, and it did it in about 30 seconds. It was beautiful.

So, low-key, if you guys want the testing build I flashed to my phone last night, you can find it here (and the MD5). It has these commits cherry-picked and I can say I haven't had any bugs so far:

Code:
    - [1/2] Speed up booting on multicore devices.
    1. Add multithreading support to Installer/installd.
    2. Parallelize package scanning.
    3. Parallelize boot dexopt.
    - [2/2] Speed up booting on multicore devices.
    Add multithreading support.

- Base: Allow hiding notification icons 
    When long pressing a notification, add another menu
    item which allows the user to hide the notification icon
    (but keep the actual notification in the dropdown).
    This is meant for applications which have services running
    in the statusbar which the user is aware of, so right now
    we hide the icon by the package.

- Navigation Bar: Toggle last app on recents button long press …
    Long pressing the recent apps button on the navigation bar will launch the last open app.

- On-the-spot preferences
    Allow for handling of resetting multiple preferences individually.
    Present the user with a list of active on-the-spot preferences to
    choose from.
    If a preference dialog was never presented to the user, it will not
    be available for reset.
    If only one preference is currently active, a simple reset dialog is
    presented (current existing dialog / no list)

- Quicksettings: Fix derp in QuickSettingsTouchListener.

- [1/2] Settings: HALO
    - [2/2] Frameworks: HALO

- Revert "Revert "[1/3]Quiet Hours""
    - Revert "Revert "[2/3]Quiet Hours""
    - Revert "Revert "[3/3]Quiet Hours""

Granted, I've only been running it since last night, but my experience with it so far has been flawless. I'm really enjoying the hiding notification icons and toggling last app, personally. This is not a nightly, it's just a build I made for myself with unmerged code. If that stuff interests you, and you trust me enough to flash it, feel free. If you want to check out my code, I forked everything I changed into my GitHub and pushed all commits to it, so if you're concerned about what I put into it, feel free to check it out at github.com/jabza- . Any project not in the GitHub is straight from PA's GitHub.

For those of you who want the latest pure AOSPA nightly, don't fret. I'll be posting a nightly tonight around 10-11:30 EST. I don't want to build a nightly in the middle of the day, because the ParanoidAndroid team might merge more commits later tonight. Once it seems reasonable that they're done merging for the day, I'll sync and build with all the latest changes, and I'll post it here with the changelog as usual.