[CUSTOM ROM][Xperia T][SECURITY] which custom ROM sends least data to google?

Search This thread

tlsty

Oct 27, 2009
Capital
Hi guys,
i was wondering which custom ROM has limited or completely cancelled functionality of sending data to Google. Which custom ROM is "safest" and "most secure" in this area? if it is possible to use some application, which limits/prevents apps (or OS directly) to access sensitive data and send them "anywhere" in an uncontrolled way - please let me know. Thank you.
Kind regards,

tlsty

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
Hi guys,
i was wondering which custom ROM has limited or completely cancelled functionality of sending data to Google. Which custom ROM is "safest" and "most secure" in this area? if it is possible to use some application, which limits/prevents apps (or OS directly) to access sensitive data and send them "anywhere" in an uncontrolled way - please let me know. Thank you.
Kind regards,

tlsty
Try using CM10 with Orbot app enabled (=TOR, network anonymizer), also use Xposed and the module XPrivacy.

It is hard to prevent Google from observing your device if the device os itself os made by Google. ^^

peter-k

Jul 31, 2013
Singapore
I think that's not a question in between the different ROM's. But of you ask this question, the general answer would be the older the "better".

Than higher the version no. of Google services and then more Google apps installed than more meta-date transfers.

The easiest solution is not installing Gapps, and disabling "let Google apps use this device's location any time it is on".

tlsty

Oct 27, 2009
Capital
I think that's not a question in between the different ROM's. But of you ask this question, the general answer would be the older the "better".

Than higher the version no. of Google services and then more Google apps installed than more meta-date transfers.

The easiest solution is not installing Gapps, and disabling "let Google apps use this device's location any time it is on".

Hi peter-k,
thx for suggestion. it makes sense :) i already disabled the location providing and anything what i know as IT guy, but i am considering to choose a custom rom (CMpreferably). do custom roms have google services running? is it possible to actually stop them / prevent them from starting on the boot?
thx

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
Hi peter-k,
thx for suggestion. it makes sense :) i already disabled the location providing and anything what i know as IT guy, but i am considering to choose a custom rom (CMpreferably). do custom roms have google services running? is it possible to actually stop them / prevent them from starting on the boot?
thx

Even on stock ROM you can totally prevent any and all google services from running. You can try with Autostart Manager, System Tuner, and I think there even might be an Xposed module that does that too.

I for one disable/freeze some of the Google Services/apps, and only enable them when I need access to the Play Store; I use a script with Smanager, takes about 10 seconds and is a lot easier and practical than looking for and disabling receivers every time I flash a new ROM.

tlsty

Oct 27, 2009
Capital
Even on stock ROM you can totally prevent any and all google services from running. You can try with Autostart Manager, System Tuner, and I think there even might be an Xposed module that does that too.

I for one disable/freeze some of the Google Services/apps, and only enable them when I need access to the Play Store; I use a script with Smanager, takes about 10 seconds and is a lot easier and practical than looking for and disabling receivers every time I flash a new ROM.

Hi Antiga Prime,
would you be so kind and explain to me step by spet how to apply the script? THX

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
Hi Antiga Prime,
would you be so kind and explain to me step by spet how to apply the script? THX

1.- Install Smanager from the Play Store.
2.- Copy the attached files to your sdcard (skip to step 4), or
3.- Use Smanager to create two new scripts with the following code:

Filename 1: enableplaystore
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# enable play store

pm enable com.android.vending 
pm enable com.google.android.gsf 
pm enable com.google.android.location
pm enable com.google.android.gms

Filename 2: disableplaystore
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# disable play store

pm disable com.android.vending 
pm disable com.google.android.gsf 
pm disable com.google.android.location
pm disable com.google.android.gms

4.- Use Smanager to navigate to the location where you copied/saved the scripts, select one of the scripts and mark the "SU" box so that it runs with Superuser access, then press the "Save" button. Repeat for the second script.

To run the scripts you can either:

- Open SManager and press the Menu button, then press Scripts, then select the script you want to run and press the "Run" button
- Create widgets on your home screen that point to the script you want to run
- Install SMwidgets from the Play Store and create shortcuts to your scripts (which is more organized since you can put all your shortcuts in a folder).

Then, you can use the "disableplaystore" to disable the selected packages, and "enableplaystore" to enable it whenever you need access to the Google Services Framework/Location Services/Play Store, etc.

Just so you know, this will prevent apps that use Google's GCM service to deliver notifications to your phone, but I figured you already knew that since you want to disable everything from contacting Google.

Attachments

• enableplaystore.txt
    173 bytes · Views: 4
  • disableplaystore.txt
    178 bytes · Views: 2
Reactions: tlsty and Arcano

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Antiga Prime,

1.- Install Smanager from the Play Store.
    2.- Copy the attached files to your sdcard (skip to step 4), or
    3.- Use Smanager to create two new scripts with the following code:

Filename 1: enableplaystore
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    # enable play store

pm enable com.android.vending 
    pm enable com.google.android.gsf 
    pm enable com.google.android.location
    pm enable com.google.android.gms

Filename 2: disableplaystore
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    # disable play store

pm disable com.android.vending 
    pm disable com.google.android.gsf 
    pm disable com.google.android.location
    pm disable com.google.android.gms

4.- Use Smanager to navigate to the location where you copied/saved the scripts, select one of the scripts and mark the "SU" box so that it runs with Superuser access, then press the "Save" button. Repeat for the second script.

To run the scripts you can either:

- Open SManager and press the Menu button, then press Scripts, then select the script you want to run and press the "Run" button
    - Create widgets on your home screen that point to the script you want to run
    - Install SMwidgets from the Play Store and create shortcuts to your scripts (which is more organized since you can put all your shortcuts in a folder).

Then, you can use the "disableplaystore" to disable the selected packages, and "enableplaystore" to enable it whenever you need access to the Google Services Framework/Location Services/Play Store, etc.

Just so you know, this will prevent apps that use Google's GCM service to deliver notifications to your phone, but I figured you already knew that since you want to disable everything from contacting Google.