[Android 4.4] Musical Daydream

Search This thread

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Have you been wishing you could easily control your music and notifications with a Daydream app? Then I may have something for you! I released this a few months back and have been working on making it better learning from what users liked or disliked. Sadly I have learned its tough to get the word out through the Play Store only. So without further ado please check out:

Musical Daydream https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.packruler.musicaldaydream.release

Features:
- On-screen controls to skip to the next or previous song and play or pause
- Full screen album art (can be made only the width of the screen as well)
- Scrolling album art (when full screen)
- Immersive display (hidden nav bar and nav bar is translucent when brought back)
- Ability to launch daydreaming from launcher. **NOTE** Samsung has tweaked their builds in a way such that this does not work.
- Multiple UI preference controls including transparency and screen timeout while music is not playing and much more

- Gesture controls:
-- Swipe to the left to skip to the next
-- Swipe to the right to skip to the start or previous song
-- Swipe down to play or pause

- Notification display:
-- Active non constant notification icons will be displayed
-- Tap and hold on a icon to display the expanded notification
-- Release to make notification expanded display go away but leave notification active
-- Swipe up from icon to keep it displayed after release
-- Swipe down from icon clears the displayed notification from the screen if kept open or clears it from status bar completely
--Applications can have their notifications blacklisted and they will not appear in the notification display in the dream

Do you enjoy listening to music on your phone while its docked or charging but don't like having to wake it up to see what's playing or skip to the next song? Then this app will blow your mind.
This is a daydream that displays beautiful album art and metadata from many music applications including initially designed for Google Play Music but works with Pandora, YouTube, and many more.

I plan to update this app as much as I can and always love hearing new ideas and figuring out ways to improve. Please join our Google+ Community:
https://plus.google.com/communities/103689530453554898843 for news on what I plan to do or if you have any issues or ideas for new features

The free version is not updated as often as the paid version and can be a versions behind for a while so buy the full version to keep up with the awesomeness!!

Last edited:
Reactions: fred65

fred65

Mar 18, 2008
Melbourne
Tried some others, this is definitely the best!

One request - could we show the battery level percentage? I know the phone's charging because of the notification light, but can't see the status when daydreaming.

Thanks!

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Great idea. I haven't really had a chance to delve into that yet. But hopefully will be able to add it in the near future

fred65

Mar 18, 2008
Melbourne
Excellent!

I notice my phone was getting warm (not hot) with Musical Daydream, I've disabled the art scrolling to see if it helps, although it means the album art is now zoomed in to fit the screen, which I guess is the trade-off :)

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry to hear its warming up. There is an option to disable the full screen album art just above the option to disable the scrolling art. Another cause of the warming could be the screen staying full brightness for an extended period, make sure "Dimming While Dreaming" is enabled.

fred65

Mar 18, 2008
Melbourne
Thanks, unfortunately the issue still exists...

I've switched off Full Screen album art, and ensured Dimming is set (the screen is dim as per normal daydream/docked behaviour).

It's odd because my phone is basically idle, eg no notifications coming in, just sitting there charging and playing music. I'm concerned that the heat will mean charging will take longer.

Anyways, I'm happy enough for now, will keep using, so far my phone hasn't gotten overly hot! :)

EDIT: it seems to stay warm (it's a bit cooler than before though) even when music has finished.

Last edited:

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
I had a bit of free time today and was able to get battery status implemented. It has been sent to Google and should appear in the beta release channel soon. I will look into your heat issues soon.

Reactions: fred65

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Just checking in, haven't seen the updated version on the Play store yet, looking forward to checking it out.
Are you in the beta release channel? I haven't had enough time to verify everything is good enough for release just yet, may be ready for public release Wednesday or Thursday. I'm fairly certain its stable but wanna make sure.
To join beta channel join this Google+ group: https://plus.google.com/b/102824217485737940292/communities/103689530453554898843
Then go here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.packruler.musicaldaydream.release

Last edited:

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Glad you like it!! I have pushed 1.3.9 with battery status integration to public channel. I have a few more planned updates coming soon and would love to hear some ideas for improvements.

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Little teaser for you:
Screenshot_2014-09-04-22-39-32.png

All fonts available from Google.com/Fonts are usable and only downloaded when you wanna use them.

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
I recommend BubbleUpnp works much better than this supports upnp local server, remote server, remote control points etc
While BubbleUPNP may be great for what it does it is meant for a fairly different use. It is a media player that uses remote data using UPNP protocol. Musical Daydream on the other hand is a Daydream app that controls other media players on the device and displays media metadata.

packruler

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry it took so long school and work have kept me busy the past couple weeks but I finally have finished a beta build with full access to Google.com/Fonts selection! Each font will be downloaded upon selection and the next time you go to select fonts this option will be displayed in its proper font.
Please let me know if you have any issues. Should be close to production release.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-05-59.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-05-59.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-07.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-14.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-20-22-06-20.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 71

toddbecker

Oct 25, 2012
Just loaded this app and love the concept. One request that I have is to display clock/date/alarm information. I use the clock daydream when I go to bed, so either I have to switch daydreams on a daily basis, or hope that your app will display clock, date and alarm information, even when music isn't playing.

toddbecker

Oct 25, 2012
Thanks, unfortunately the issue still exists...

I've switched off Full Screen album art, and ensured Dimming is set (the screen is dim as per normal daydream/docked behaviour).

It's odd because my phone is basically idle, eg no notifications coming in, just sitting there charging and playing music. I'm concerned that the heat will mean charging will take longer.

Anyways, I'm happy enough for now, will keep using, so far my phone hasn't gotten overly hot! :)

EDIT: it seems to stay warm (it's a bit cooler than before though) even when music has finished.
I am experiencing the hot phone issue as well, even when music is not playing, with full screen image and scrolling. After it cools down, I will turn off scrolling to see if that helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you been wishing you could easily control your music and notifications with a Daydream app? Then I may have something for you! I released this a few months back and have been working on making it better learning from what users liked or disliked. Sadly I have learned its tough to get the word out through the Play Store only. So without further ado please check out:

Musical Daydream https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.packruler.musicaldaydream.release

Features:
    - On-screen controls to skip to the next or previous song and play or pause
    - Full screen album art (can be made only the width of the screen as well)
    - Scrolling album art (when full screen)
    - Immersive display (hidden nav bar and nav bar is translucent when brought back)
    - Ability to launch daydreaming from launcher. **NOTE** Samsung has tweaked their builds in a way such that this does not work.
    - Multiple UI preference controls including transparency and screen timeout while music is not playing and much more

- Gesture controls:
    -- Swipe to the left to skip to the next
    -- Swipe to the right to skip to the start or previous song
    -- Swipe down to play or pause

- Notification display:
    -- Active non constant notification icons will be displayed
    -- Tap and hold on a icon to display the expanded notification
    -- Release to make notification expanded display go away but leave notification active
    -- Swipe up from icon to keep it displayed after release
    -- Swipe down from icon clears the displayed notification from the screen if kept open or clears it from status bar completely
    --Applications can have their notifications blacklisted and they will not appear in the notification display in the dream

Do you enjoy listening to music on your phone while its docked or charging but don't like having to wake it up to see what's playing or skip to the next song? Then this app will blow your mind.
    This is a daydream that displays beautiful album art and metadata from many music applications including initially designed for Google Play Music but works with Pandora, YouTube, and many more.

I plan to update this app as much as I can and always love hearing new ideas and figuring out ways to improve. Please join our Google+ Community:
    https://plus.google.com/communities/103689530453554898843 for news on what I plan to do or if you have any issues or ideas for new features

The free version is not updated as often as the paid version and can be a versions behind for a while so buy the full version to keep up with the awesomeness!!
    I had a bit of free time today and was able to get battery status implemented. It has been sent to Google and should appear in the beta release channel soon. I will look into your heat issues soon.