[TOOL] ApkSpy - view APK manifest on PC

Search This thread

ido

May 7, 2006
Hey,

I have a mess with my many .APK files sitting around on my PC. Some .APK files were renamed badly with names that don't make sense, let alone I have multiple versions of the same apps.

ApkSpy is a simple tool I hacked up tonight which allows you to easily view the manifest of an APK (screenshots attached - not up to date though) just by double clicking it. (It can even associate with the .apk filetype, yay!)

ApkSpy relies on the aapt.exe tool from the android SDK, so you must have that installed (or just copy aapt.exe from somewhere, that's the only file needed to run ApkSpy).

Would love to get feedback.
Off to bed now..

Known issues:
filenames with unicode might not work.

Changelog:

Version 0.6:
Minor fixes
adb.exe/aapt.exe should be found in current directory or PATH

Version 0.5:
Install APK button
Rename file by package or application name
batch rename of all apk's in a directory

Version 0.4:
Added link to market

Version 0.3:
Added rename file, which renames the loaded apk to <packagename_version.apk>

Version 0.2:
does not require .net 4.0 anymore

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 48,645
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48,371
  • ApkSpy04.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 6,852
  • ApkSpy05.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 3,061
  • ApkSpy06.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 21,549
Last edited:

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
Needed something like this.
How about this, can we edit swiftkey's apk and add a large spacebar into that somehow?
thanks

the gladiator

Dec 16, 2010
ido, I downloaded your nice tool. Unfortunately I don't get any information back when I drop on it an app (please see my attachment). I have .net framework 4.0 on Windows XP.

Any idea ?

Last edited:

the gladiator

Dec 16, 2010
ApkSpy relies on the aapt.exe tool from the android SDK, so you must have that installed (or just copy aapt.exe from somewhere, that's the only file needed to run ApkSpy).

Off to bed now..

Shame on me !!! I should have read before rushing !!!

I'm sorry: everything runs smoothly now, thanks !

PS Just a suggestion to ido for those like me: why don't you bundle the aapt.exe in the zip file ?

phonegod

Mar 17, 2011
i have the aapt.exe but after i drag apk it does not allow me to change the name or anything please help and yes i have sdk installed

techker

Mar 9, 2011
would be cool and app like my sons RDTools DS that lists all his games in a dir to add to sd card(r4i or ttools..)

it opens the files and gives the real name with icons and nfo files to..(store on sever DB)

should be pretty much simple for a guy that knows how to program no?

SysWiz

Dec 3, 2007
Thank you for this cool app.
2 Suggestions:
- allow users more options on how they want to name the apk (i.e. "AppName-ver")
- Allow user to just double click on an apk to run apkspy. Currently, I have to drag and drop. If I double click an APK, apkspy crashes with an "System.InvalidOperationException"

Reactions: schizovivek

silvake

Mar 5, 2010
Bucharest
Thank you for this very useful application.
I also wish it had those handy features as others mentioned:
1. Renaming apks using ApplicationName instead of PackageName;
2. Batch renaming all apks in a folder;
3. Option to push (or install) the current apk into a connected android device.

Good job, anyway, keep up the good work!

silvake

Mar 5, 2010
Bucharest
Great news, thank you again for your work.

One quick feedback observation though:
In the Batch Rename tab, the two rename buttons (by application or by package) are working correctly, but in the first tab (General) the functions performed by the same rename buttons are reversed: rename by application actually renames by package and viceversa.
Otherwise, everything seems to be OK, except maybe for the donation link in the last tab, which doesn't seem to be working either. ;)

Congratulations, man, great job, keep it up!

ido

May 7, 2006
Great news, thank you again for your work.

One quick feedback observation though:
In the Batch Rename tab, the two rename buttons (by application or by package) are working correctly, but in the first tab (General) the functions performed by the same rename buttons are reversed: rename by application actually renames by package and viceversa.
Otherwise, everything seems to be OK, except maybe for the donation link in the last tab, which doesn't seem to be working either. ;)

Congratulations, man, great job, keep it up!

Fixed all (even the beer link). I kept same version (0.5) though.

mechmetal

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
hi,ido when i double click apk files i get this error..running win7 x64
hxxp://i.imgur.com/lMOMJ.png
hxxp://i.imgur.com/Ropmm.png

Kevin31

Jun 29, 2010
You can fix?

ApkSpy very handy tool!
Thanks a lot!

1 You can fix ApkSpy to correctly processed Russian names?

2 You can fix the ApkSpy, if you rename the apk team containing the character ":"

3 You can fix the ApkSpy, if you rename the apk team containing the character " "" "

4 When you drag a file apk team, adds all files from a folder, it is not convenient

Thanks

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 479

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

I have a mess with my many .APK files sitting around on my PC. Some .APK files were renamed badly with names that don't make sense, let alone I have multiple versions of the same apps.

ApkSpy is a simple tool I hacked up tonight which allows you to easily view the manifest of an APK (screenshots attached - not up to date though) just by double clicking it. (It can even associate with the .apk filetype, yay!)

Off to bed now..

Known issues:
    filenames with unicode might not work.

Changelog:

Version 0.6:
    Minor fixes
    adb.exe/aapt.exe should be found in current directory or PATH

Version 0.5:
    Install APK button
    Rename file by package or application name
    batch rename of all apk's in a directory

Version 0.4:
    Added link to market

Version 0.3:
    Added rename file, which renames the loaded apk to <packagename_version.apk>

Version 0.2:
    does not require .net 4.0 anymore
    Kindly add an icon in next version or tell us how to do that ourselves.. It's a fabulous app in so many certain ways. Thanks.

Edit:
    No worries, managed to do it. Thanks .. :)

If anyone wants to have it, here it is.

// I hope I am not hijacking this thread. All credits to the original maker.

Edited exe with Icon - Download

Icon
    ---

android_platform.png

Icon credits - Iconshock
    Running ApkSpy easily

There's no need to have the full development tools installed to use ApkSpy. The only file needed is aapt.exe. Just unzip the attached file to the same location of ApkSpy and you're ready to use this tool.

Note: included aapt.exe is from latest Google ADT.
    I don't think its allowed by google's license. I haven't really checked though.
    Resurrecting this app

Hello.

Since I have not received any response from Ido, I'm opening a new thread - APKSPY - Resurrected :D - with the modified version of this application.

Ido, If for some reason you do not want me to continue publication AND/or development -- in exception of my personal usage -- of this application, please LET ME KNOW ASAP!

I will IMMEDIATELY
    • Stop any further development of the application
    • Delete my file from XDA
    • Close the thread completely