Insignia Flex

Search This thread

klowdhaus

Oct 28, 2013
Anybody have one? It's Best Buy's brand tablet.

insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-14T002.html
(can't post a link...)

Just picked up a Flex 8 on Black Friday. Not bad for $80. Not sure if I'd pay full price for it though.
It seems good for the price so far, except I'm having a rough time trying to root it.

Anyone have one and root it?

dan_h1n474

Dec 17, 2012
Employee here and I had to pouch one up as well for the price of $80. Now to figure out root.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

klowdhaus

Oct 28, 2013
Let us know if you get it.

I've tried Bin4ry, doomlord, tpsparky, played around with it myself a bit. Still not luck. Closest I got is normal on Bin4ry. Just when it reboots, it has no root privaledges. su is in /data/local/tmp but it fails to do anything...

dan_h1n474

Dec 17, 2012
I haven't messed around with it until this very moment. I will admit that the price is killer but initial impression with the device could be better. I was impressed and I mean really impressed with its quadrant score. I'll root this device later today. Black Friday sales and I am tired.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

I found a link to root this device on both ICS and jellybean. I will personally look into it tomorrow but I will post it if you would like to go ahead. The guide itself was written for ICS but later down the thread you will find another link to a working root for jellybean.

http://androidforums.com/insignia-flex-all-things-root/661247-how-root-insignia-flex.html

Please root at your own discresion and I sure hope you purchased a protection plan (GSP) for your tablet.

dan_h1n474

Dec 17, 2012
We had a large quantity to sell as well and they all went. It is honestly not half bad. And I would really recommend getting the GSP for the tablet in case of anything. Will report back after rooting.

klowdhaus

Oct 28, 2013
Let us know if you have any luck. I found the link you posted before which led me to try Bin4ry. The script seems to be updated for JB in general but still had no luck. I'm on a Mac and haven't tried any of the windows rooting apps, like posted at the bottom of that thread. I do have a windows partition and would be willing to try that method if needed. That chinese one at the bottom seems shady regardless though.. I hope there is an alternative to that

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Is there a way to flash clockworkmod onto this tablet?
I managed to get the CX-803 version of CWM for Rockchip 3066 from AndroTab.info to work by replacing its kernel with ours by unpacking and repacking with RK3xxx-Firmware-Tools by Sergio.

Note: This is for the Insignia NS-14T002 (aka iRiver NS-14T002) tablet that shipped with Android 4.2.2
Be EXTREMELY careful! Highly recommend you dump your current kernel and recovery partitions and save them somewhere before flashing anything.

If for some reason the recovery doesn't work, you can flash your stock recovery back as long as you can get back into root shell. But, if it fails to boot normally, I have no idea how to fix it. I have not been able to get any of the Rockchip flashing utilities to recognize the tablet so far, in bootloader mode (these devices have no fastboot) or otherwise. So don't blame me if you somehow brick your tablet.
You have been warned!!

CWM & Stock* Recovery image for NS-14T002
* if for some reason you can't back up your own, but again highly recommend backing up your existing recovery in case it's different from mine

You need root, and you need to do the install from root shell (don't forget to su) as described here.
I used /data/local instead of /dev - anywhere writable should be okay.

To boot into recovery:
  • adb reboot recovery
  • power off tablet, disconnect USB, press and hold Vol+ and Power until recovery comes up.
    USB disconnect is not a strict requirement, but the battery status thing tends to get in the way.
    In stock recovery, push Vol+ and Vol- simultaneously to bring up the menu. CWM menu should be visible at launch.
  • install petrus's Reboot App and use it to Reboot into recovery

Note: In CWM recovery you can swipe up for Vol+ (move up), swipe down for Vol- (move down), swipe left for Power (select), and swipe right for Back.

Last edited:

cramamarshall

Jan 12, 2011
Tampa Bay
Re:Insignia Flex Tablet

I actually just purchased one of these last night. It was on sale at Best Buy for $99! I have successfully rooted it and it actually works great! I used Kingo Root to root but first I installed pda net first to install the necessary drivers. I have used this program to root several Android devices and haven't had a problem thus far!

http://www.kingoapp.com/

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I actually just purchased one of these last night. It was on sale at Best Buy for $99! I have successfully rooted it and it actually works great! I used Kingo Root to root but first I installed pda net first to install the necessary drivers.
Great news! I didn't have luck with that one but it might have been the machine I was using at the time.

Just to confirm, your model came with Jellybean 4.2, Model NS-14T002?
The previous version with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 was easier to root.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.

Reactions: Mecca EL

cramamarshall

Jan 12, 2011
Tampa Bay
Great news! I didn't have luck with that one but it might have been the machine I was using at the time.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.

Yes my device came with 4.2.2 Jelly Bean! My first attempt using Kingo Root it did not see my device. Windows would not install the drivers needed. So I installed PDA net for windows and choose other in the program and once it was done installing it had configured the necessary drivers for Kingo Root to find my tablet and it rooted fine within a couple minutes after that! :good:

arahmahndy

Feb 5, 2014
help!

Anybody have one? It's Best Buy's brand tablet.

insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-14T002.html
(can't post a link...)

Just picked up a Flex 8 on Black Friday. Not bad for $80. Not sure if I'd pay full price for it though.
It seems good for the price so far, except I'm having a rough time trying to root it.

Anyone have one and root it?

I was wondering, because I rooted my insignia flex 8 tablet and downloaded an app to try and customize the navigation bar and the developer provided a way on how to do it but said it was risky and took the risk anyway. Unfortunately, after turning on my tablet, it gets stuck on the insignia logo which I'm assuming it is stuck in the boot screen. I emailed the developer on how to fix this and said to flash a ROM to it. But I am just wondering if I am able to still do this even if my tablet gets stuck on the boot screen and freezes. I used ultimate dynamic navbar lite to try and customize my navbar.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I was wondering, because I rooted my insignia flex 8 tablet and downloaded an app to try and customize the navigation bar and the developer provided a way on how to do it but said it was risky and took the risk anyway. Unfortunately, after turning on my tablet, it gets stuck on the insignia logo which I'm assuming it is stuck in the boot screen. I emailed the developer on how to fix this and said to flash a ROM to it. But I am just wondering if I am able to still do this even if my tablet gets stuck on the boot screen and freezes. I used ultimate dynamic navbar lite to try and customize my navbar.
I don't have the tablet anymore as it was a gift for a family member that lives elsewhere (I just wanted root so I could remote control it with TeamViewer QuickSupport), but will try to help from my notes and memory.

Flashing ROM may be difficult.
There is no fastboot on these Rockchip devices...
I couldn't find a way to flash without it being bootable and accessible via ADB
None of the Rockchip flashing tools would recognize it, even when I thought I got it booted into flash mode - it loaded drivers, but the flash tools still didn't see it. :(

The only way I know how to flash is to use a flash tool via ADB root shell.

Have you tried plugging it into USB on computer and booting it? Even if it doesn't reach the launcher, maybe it is accessible from ADB?
If you can access ADB, you may be able to reverse whatever the app changed from ADB shell and uninstall the app. (Politely ask the author for help)
You might be able to flash the system image I took too, but that has potential to brick it even worse.

If you have custom recovery loaded, you should just be able to restore from a backup.

If you don't have custom recovery loaded, things get a little more hairy...

You can try booting into Safe mode, maybe it'll bypass the offending app.
  1. Power off tablet
  2. Unplug USB*
  3. Press and hold Vol- and Power until (hopefully) it completely boots

Try booting into standard recovery and see what your options are there - Factory Reset might help (depends what was changed and where)
  1. Power off tablet
  2. Unplug USB*
  3. Press and hold Vol+ and Power until recovery comes up (Android with open chest)
  4. Press Vol+ and Vol- simultaneously to bring up the menu.

* while unplugging USB isn't really required, because a battery app launches shortly afterward, it can make getting into recovery and safe mode more difficult

The folks over at Freaktab and Vondroid are really the experts at this Rockchip stuff.
For reference, the platform is RK3066, but there are many variations of the platform (different WiFi, memory configuration, etc) so you can't just grab any ROM.

arahmahndy

Feb 5, 2014
Thank you!

I don't have the tablet anymore as it was a gift for a family member that lives elsewhere (I just wanted root so I could remote control it with TeamViewer QuickSupport), but will try to help from my notes and memory.

Flashing ROM may be difficult.
There is no fastboot on these Rockchip devices...
I couldn't find a way to flash without it being bootable and accessible via ADB
None of the Rockchip flashing tools would recognize it, even when I thought I got it booted into flash mode - it loaded drivers, but the flash tools still didn't see it. :(

The only way I know how to flash is to use a flash tool via ADB root shell.

Have you tried plugging it into USB on computer and booting it? Even if it doesn't reach the launcher, maybe it is accessible from ADB?
If you can access ADB, you may be able to reverse whatever the app changed from ADB shell and uninstall the app. (Politely ask the author for help)
You might be able to flash the system image I took too, but that has potential to brick it even worse.

If you have custom recovery loaded, you should just be able to restore from a backup.

If you don't have custom recovery loaded, things get a little more hairy...

You can try booting into Safe mode, maybe it'll bypass the offending app.
  1. Power off tablet
  2. Unplug USB*
  3. Press and hold Vol- and Power until (hopefully) it completely boots

Try booting into standard recovery and see what your options are there - Factory Reset might help (depends what was changed and where)
  1. Power off tablet
  2. Unplug USB*
  3. Press and hold Vol+ and Power until recovery comes up (Android with open chest)
  4. Press Vol+ and Vol- simultaneously to bring up the menu.

* while unplugging USB isn't really required, because a battery app launches shortly afterward, it can make getting into recovery and safe mode more difficult

The folks over at Freaktab and Vondroid are really the experts at this Rockchip stuff.
For reference, the platform is RK3066, but there are many variations of the platform (different WiFi, memory configuration, etc) so you can't just grab any ROM.

Thanks for the information! I know I have ADB from rooting my tablet so I'm gonna check how that is when I get home and I have found some rockship information on vondroid so I will check that out also. Thanks for the reply again! :)

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Thanks for the information! I know I have ADB from rooting my tablet so I'm gonna check how that is when I get home and I have found some rockship information on vondroid so I will check that out also. Thanks for the reply again! :)

If you can access ADB then try loading the CWM recovery I posted above. If you can at least get CWM up, at worst case I can give you a copy of my stock backup to restore.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Did you get things sorted out?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
If anyone is interested or needs it, Insignia sent me the GPL source.
You can also request it directly from them like it says on the website but it took a week or two (they might not have had a procedure in place yet, the agent had to forward my request to a different department) and I had completely forgotten until an unexpected package arrived.

Last edited:

crzyrostr5150

Jun 5, 2014
Performance NS-15at10, ta120, ITQ701

Just thought someone might want to know, kingo root works, updated to 4.4.2, Booster plus battery saver pro is worth the money, better than 3c so far, still looking for more sources, any advice or help is appreciated especially for a recovery, dual bootloaders, ugh

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-01-00-48-52.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-01-00-48-52.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 580
  • Screenshot_2015-01-01-01-00-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-01-01-00-32.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 564

Moonman420

Dec 5, 2015
I actually just purchased one of these last night. It was on sale at Best Buy for $99! I have successfully rooted it and it actually works great! I used Kingo Root to root but first I installed pda net first to install the necessary drivers. I have used this program to root several Android devices and haven't had a proble

Can I install drivers without PC?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually just purchased one of these last night. It was on sale at Best Buy for $99! I have successfully rooted it and it actually works great! I used Kingo Root to root but first I installed pda net first to install the necessary drivers.

I know this is old; does anyone have a better link to that cwm and stock made for this tablet on the first page?
    If you're referring to my post with the CWM recovery image, I uploaded to AndroidFileHost and updated the post. Both my stock and the CWM image are in a zip now, so you have to benefit of checksum validation.
    Thanks for updating that. I had this tablet sitting around collecting dust so I thought I would tinker with it. Could you elaborate a little more on how you flashed the cwm image?
    1. You need to be rooted.
    2. Get flash-image from the CX-803 CWM zip
    3. Use the root shell flash method to flash the recovery .img file.
    I understand you got the right firmware of this Tablet. Just to confirm:
    Branch: Insignia
    Model: ns-14t002
    Processor_ RK3168
    Board: T83230_68_MB_V1.0
    1GB RAM
    8GB Internal
    Screen: 8" (Inches)
    Resolution: 1024x768

If so, I really appreciate your help if you can post a link to download it or send it to my email.
    Right now my Tablet is working badly.
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I don't have a firmware per-se, they only sent me the GPL source and I can't find the disc it came on.

I do have romdump and CWM backups of the tabet in a fairly unused state - those might help if your tablet at least boots enough for you to have terminal and/or ADB access.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=41615

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Wow. Thanks. I have been fighting this thing for 3 days with it not connecting to rktools or any other rk program. I came across this CM13 build for rk30xx. Do you think I could flash it on this thing? http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?p=5617

I'm not sure if Insignia did anything special/nonstandard. It probably stands a good chance of working, but the normal rules apply, make sure you're 100% sure you have a good backup of the current state before flashing, and make sure you know how to go back in case something doesn't work.
    Inside adb and an emulator I'm getting "error scanning partitions failed with error: -1" after entering the flash image command. Any ideas?

I have both files inside /data/local

Before this error I was getting "flash image not found"

Update* I factory restored. Grabbed a different copy of flash_image and put it into /system/bin/ with recovery in /data/local/ and received permission denied.

Command I used..
    Adb remount
    (Success)
    Adb shell
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

Then I changed the recovery to same location as flash_image and got "segmentation fault"

*Update* SUCCESS! I stumbled upon an app called Flashify by Christian Göllner on the play store that let me flash an image file from the app. Now I have CWM on my insignia. I will keep that in my back pocket for times like these. Thanks again bhiga for the CWM file and good info.

Sent from my SM-N920P using XDA Labs