Search This thread

Braneless

Jun 21, 2011
Dayton, OH
most launchers are priced similar. not having any problem with the $4

Agreed. The only reason I delayed my Prime purchase was the fact that I already bought ADW Ex...which was about the same price.

For as smooth and reliable as Nova is, $4 is a reasonable price. Launchers such as SPB & TFS Shell are NOT worth their asking price (both over $10USD) - not even close.

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
another (not all fair comparison): navigation software usually costs $20+ and you use it like 2-3 times a month. launcher costs $4 and you use it every time you turn your phone on.

Reactions: DarrenCarnall

v8rumble

Aug 12, 2009
That's right, here you can buy a cup of coffe at 0.25 USD in the street.

I'm just saying that the prime key is one of the most expensive apps in the market and being created over free source code, it could be a liitle cheapier.
it's no wonder people download stuff with out paying.

You are paying for the labour involved. it takes time to program stuff.

I am missing something, or are dock backgrounds images not available with Nova?

Nova troubles on tablet (TF101)

I regularly have a weird situation on my tablet. When returning to the homescreen the desktops suddenly are all empty, but I can still scroll through them. The dock is visible, but can't be scrolled and you always see the same buttons, and none of them work. Going to apps to stop the nova service doesn't work, the only thing I can do is a reset.

I'm running on the newest version. Anybody else getting this on his/her tablet?
It never happens on my phone.

Ashley280

Apr 30, 2012
Nova Lancher Help

Hello,

I am using the ROM Virtuous Inquisition and Nova Launcher with it. Every time i restart the phone or power it off it resets the home-screen to the default look removing all my icons on the home screen and the launcher bar.

This is very annoying and this post is my last resort or i am loading a new ROM.

I am using the latest Nova Launcher and the latest build of Virtuous Inquisition. My phone is a HTC Sensation.

Thanks in advance

Milamber33

Dec 22, 2011
Sydney
Have you tried wiping Nova Launcher's data or uninstalling/reinstalling?

Also, not sure if Logcat would show anything, but it might be worth posting one just after a restart to see if anything shows up.

Shadow-Nexus

May 13, 2011
Phoenix
Hello,

I am using the ROM Virtuous Inquisition and Nova Launcher with it. Every time i restart the phone or power it off it resets the home-screen to the default look removing all my icons on the home screen and the launcher bar.

This is very annoying and this post is my last resort or i am loading a new ROM.

I am using the latest Nova Launcher and the latest build of Virtuous Inquisition. My phone is a HTC Sensation.

Thanks in advance

Dude are you retarded or something?
You should use AOKP

mhwarfield

Aug 19, 2011
Lilburn, GA
Actually, $4 is fairly moderate by Market standards...Take a look at SPB Shell, if you want to see an overpriced launcher. $15 for that piece of junk is absolutely murderous! I understand that $4US carries a different value throughout the world, and what may be expensive to some, will seem cheap to others. Unfortunately, there's no solution, since devs don't have the ability to adjust price by country or region.

As for Nova, I believe the stock launcher is under the Apache license, and therefore, is not open source. As such, no launchers written off of stock code, need to be open. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Kevin addressed this topic at some point a while ago, and I think this was the gist of his response.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

I believe you are mixing license terms here. The Apache License, specifically the Apache License 2.0 from 2004 on, is an OpenSource Initiative (OSI) recognized OpenSource License.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Apache-2.0

By saying "the stock launcher is under the Apache license, and therefore, is not open source" you are incorrect. Software licensed under the Apache License is OpenSource but modifications to it are not required to be equally released as OpenSource sources. This is similar to the BSD licenses, which are also OSI recognized OpenSource licenses but which do not require others to provide the sources or to provide their modifications in OpenSource.

I believe you are thinking about the GPL, Gnu Public License, family which is not only OpenSource but also requres that any modifications WHICH YOU DISTRIBUTE to also be licensed under the GPL. It's actually more restrictive than the Apache and BSD license families, but we can get into heated religious wars over that topic. If you don't distribute your modifications, you are not generally required to provide source to them (there are some corner cases where software is utilized as a service where things get a bit gray). Even there, there are exceptions for certain kinds of linking and for collections. If stock were licensed under GPL, then all modifications to create Nova would have to be released in source form under a GPL compatible license. This is not required under the Apache License, but both are, none the less, recognized by OSI as OpenSource licenses and they are the authority in this regards.

Reactions: jjhiza

barryflanagan

Aug 17, 2009
Dublin
barry.flanagan.ie
I regularly have a weird situation on my tablet. When returning to the homescreen the desktops suddenly are all empty, but I can still scroll through them. The dock is visible, but can't be scrolled and you always see the same buttons, and none of them work. Going to apps to stop the nova service doesn't work, the only thing I can do is a reset.

I'm running on the newest version. Anybody else getting this on his/her tablet?
It never happens on my phone.

Yes, I see this on my Transformer Prime running AOKP and Nova. I cleared Nova cache and data but it still happens.

Never happens on my GNex

Kurre

Aug 10, 2010
Hello,

Thanks in advance

Dude are you retarded or something?
You should use AOKP

what the..are you talking about.. :mad:
Virtuous Inquisition IS ics rom afaik, so there should be no problem using it. ICS can be CM9, aokp, vanilla aosp etc..

But i can't help Ashley with this problem..could be caused by corrupted data or something like that maybe? :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Shadow-Nexus

May 13, 2011
Phoenix
what the..are you talking about.. :mad:
Virtuous Inquisition IS ics rom afaik, so there should be no problem using it. ICS can be CM9, aokp, vanilla aosp etc..

But i can't help Ashley with this problem..could be caused by corrupted data or something like that maybe? :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I know virtuous Inquisition is ICS I'm just saying that AOKP is better

^Fs

Jul 19, 2010
New York City
www.flickr.com
I would love to sort my app drawer similar to this:

Vjdi7.png

I posted this in the feature request here: http://goo.gl/dBb42

Kindly upvote if you agree with me!

Reactions: -vpa

frenccw

Jun 15, 2011

Vjdi7.png

It's a great idea. It's a bit like windows 7 phone system where its sorted by alphabet. Although i always thought you would need a massive amount of apps before you would ever need something like that though. (and if you have a massive list why not just use the search???)

Good luck with the feature request.

Dianoda

Aug 26, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sweet

Just wanted to say thanks to the dev for a sweet launcher. I've finally moved away from CM7 to a CM9 based rom on my original evo and a friend recommended nova. Great work! Love the scrolling animation and smooth as butter compared to anything I ever had in 2.3. :D

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey

Vjdi7.png

To add to the previous response to your post; why don't you just use the app drawer sorting option, where you can group apps under specific tabs, and even create folders for games, productivity, etc.? It seems like that would at least be a viable work-around for you, until the specific feature you're looking for gets added... :)

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nova Launcher is a highly customizable launcher replacement based on the stock Android 4.x Launcher.
    http://novalauncher.com/

Banner.png

Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4+
    Features include:
    Custom Grid
    Configure the rows and columns to fit all your app and widget needs.
    Scrollable Dock
    Keep all your favorite apps on the dock, with up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
    Scroll Effects
    Enjoy eye candy when scrolling your desktop and drawer. Effects include Cube and Cardstack and more for Prime users.
    Infinite Scroll
    Never be far from your favorite page, loop through your desktop continuously.
    Folder Icons
    You can chose a background, preview style or even replace the whole icon.
    Backup/Restore
    Export your settings and layout before a wipe to quickly get back up and running.
    Nova Launcher Prime Features (Paid version)
    Gestures
    Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
    Hide Apps
    Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
    Dock Swipes
    Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
    Additional Scroll Effects

Vote for features at the Nova Launcher User Voice. Search before posting a new feature request!

Help Translate

You can access Nova Settings by App Drawer > Menu > Nova Settings or long-press in empty space and tap the wrench.

Permissions:
    INTERNET/ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE/ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting.
    CALL_PHONE: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar : Standard Launcher functions
    BIND_APPWIDGET: Only if installed as a system app or root. Required for adding widgets from app drawer.
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Backup/restore and beta updates

Download links:

If interested in beta testing please join the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971

then opt-in at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher and you will receive beta updates through the Play Store.

Play Store

Alternatively you may manually download the latest APKs
    Release APK:
    Nova Launcher APK
    Beta APK:
    Nova Launcher Beta APK

Theme Developers
    Check out the example theme at https://github.com/teslacoil/Example_NovaTheme . Also consider adding "#Nova.Theme" to your Play Store description.
    Please find the changelog and beta download links at http://novalauncher.com/beta/
    2.3beta1 Nov 11, 2013
    • Kitkat scroll indicator (Settings > Desktop > Scroll Indicator)
    • Kitkat folders (Settings > Folders > Light Background and Folder Background > Light Circle)
    • Kitkat font (Settings > Look and Feel > Icon Font > Condensed, requires Android 4.1+)
    • Kitkat app drawer (on by default, get the old style by long-press > Edit > tap the icon > Built-in)
    • Transparent system bars on Kitkat (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Notification Bar)
    • Transparent nav bar on Moto X (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Navigation Bar)
    • Drawer tab indicator scrolls during tab change
    • Drawer scroll indicator is relative to current tab
    • Scroll indicators animate properly for infinite scroll
    • Backup/Restore from external sdcard (on devices with sdcards)
    • Fast scroll for vertical app drawer
    • Fixes and optimizations

Join the Nova Launcher Beta G+ community, then opt-in .

Or Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.2.3 Sep 17, 2013
    https://plus.google.com/109670429793951665860/posts/4BwdcKy5T2b
    Nova Launcher and KitKat

With the recent Android 4.4 (KitKat) update there have been lots of questions about what this means for Nova Launcher. I still need to do a lot more research and work before I have definitive answers for all the questions. However I can give a brief summary of what to expect.

Nova will be updated to include, as options, much of the Nexus 5 launcher's look and feel. I've included a screenshot of an unstable development version of Nova Launcher. You can see KitKat style light folders icons and background, circular page indicator, and transparent system bars (on the Nexus 5). These will be optional so if you prefer the darker Jellybean style you can keep it.

Transparent system bars will not be available to all devices. The system bars are drawn by the SystemUI component, not the launcher. KitKat introduces an API for apps such as Nova Launcher to request that the SystemUI draw these with only a light gradient background. Not all KitKat devices will support this functionality for performance reasons, and Nova will be unable to force it. Also older Android versions are unaware of this new API in KitKat and thus will not get transparent system bars. The exception is that some devices, such as the TouchWiz SGS4, had transparent system bars implemented by the manufacturer skin, and Nova is able to make use of their private APIs for this.

Google Now integration, in the exact same way that Google does so, is not possible. This includes the swipe to the left for Google Now and the "Ok, Google" hotword. The Google Experience Launcher (GEL) is not a stand alone component, but actually a bundle of Google Search, Google Now, and GEL. With current APIs, it's not possible for Nova to access Google Now in the exact same way that the GEL does. However I am looking into ways to achieve similar functionality. Quick access to Google Now is already possible by swiping up from the home button (on devices with navigation bars), or by assigning a Nova Gesture to launch Google Now. Some users have suggested placing a full screen Google Now widget on the left most page. I'll be investigating further enhancements in this area, but it's important to note that the exact Google experience is not possible for non-Google apps.

The new launcher also redesigned the app and widgets drawer. Google has removed Widgets from the App Drawer and now places them in their own drawer accessible by long-pressing in empty space. I'm looking into how a setup like this could work with Nova Launcher. it is not a straightforward change due to Nova's additional functionality such as custom drawer tabs. But it is something I can take inspiration from.

There are also a number of bug fixes and performance improvements that Google has built into the new launcher that I will be investigating. Nova supports a much wider range of android versions and devices than the Google Launcher so performance improvements often need lots of testing or modification to ensure they don't actually hurt performance on some devices.

SMS integration with Hangouts poses a problem for unread badges in Nova Launcher. Unfortunately Hangouts does not provide an API for other apps to access the unread count. I am looking into workarounds.

Some Nova Launcher Prime users have asked if I plan on charging again. Don't worry, the answer is no. Nova Launcher Prime continues to sell well, which is great as I love working on it.

I cannot provide ETAs. I will most likely be spreading some changes across multiple Nova Launcher updates to get them out to users sooner.

I don't have any beta ready for users just yet, but when I do you can help test by joining the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971 and then opt-in for the Nova beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/join and TeslaUnread https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.notifier/join . When a beta is ready you will see it as an update in the Play Store. Please note that betas are early releases and are not fully tested yet, if you are uncomfortable with this then please wait until the final release as it will be heavily tested.

NovaKitKat.png
    2.1beta1 May 6, 2013
    • BETA
    • Edit icons and titles of apps in drawer
    • Improved drawer group interface
    • Ability to add drawer folders to desktop
    • New icon and wallpaper picker
    • Improved settings for adding new apps to desktop
    • Support SGS4's transparent notification bar (Only on stock SGS4)
    • Fix drawer not reflecting locale changes
    • Fix for accuweather widget
    • Optimizations and fixes

Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.0.2 Apr 5, 2013