The KitKat Immersive & Transparent Mode Apps - Let's Build the List!

Search This thread

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
KitKat brought both Immersive Mode (an option for devs to hide the nav & Android bars in their app for true full screen experience) and what I'd call Transparent Mode (transparent bars with content drawn behind them), and there wasn't a dedicated thread to the supporting apps - until now.

Immersive Mode needs no further explanation and it's cool, but I'd actually rather have Transparent Mode for my apps so content is covering the full screen, yet navbar icons and the Android buttons are visible and usable, see picture 1 (Action Launcher, app menu is drawn over the bars). QuickPic does "Semi-transparent Mode" (picture 2), personally I'd have no background at all behind the bars.

Now what's puzzling is why Google didn't go transparent for their apps, Maps would look great in this mode. Some GApps have Immersive Mode though.

screenshot_2013-12-145kj5v.png
screenshot_2013-12-148oko1.png

Immersive and Fullscreen Apps:

500px
Adobe Reader (displaying PDF)
Badland
Beach Buggy Blitz
Bloons TD 5
BS Player
ComicRack
Comixology
Dashlight
Dayframe
Diceplayer
EZ Weather UK Forecast&Widget
Fancy
FAQr
FBReader
FeedEx News Reader
Google Play Books
Google Search
Hangouts (when viewing images)
IP Cam Viewer Pro
Hexage games (all)
Instapaper
Ip Cam Viewer Pro
KAMI
Manga Plus Reader
Moon+ Reader
MX Player (now supports 4.4.2)
Netflix
Oh My Goat
PaintSplash
Perfect Pixel Checker V2
Press
Pushbullet
QuickPic
Riptide GP2
SnapChat
Super Hexagon
Train Crisis
Trello
YouTube

Transparent Mode Apps:

Action Launcher
Apex Launcher
Buzz Launcher
Google Experience Launcher
Nova Launcher
Paranoid Android torch app (translucent navbar)
QuickPic (semi-transparency)
ssLauncher & the apps of ChYK
The many Kit Kat style launchers

Sources: us, PhoneArena

Please state if an app is supporting immersive/fullscreen or the transparent bars mode, let's build the list!

Last edited:

mkmck

Feb 1, 2011
Great but how to enable it? I tried with Xposed, and "enable translucent decor" module, but it's still black as hell.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 4 przy użyciu Tapatalka

1Chef

Oct 10, 2012
I've been wondering about this for a while it would be so great of you could just set transparent mode through out the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
I've been wondering about this for a while it would be so great of you could just set transparent mode through out the phone.

Hiding bars system-wide can be and maybe should be done with Google's support, transparent mode however needs per-app rework, remapping game controls for example so Android buttons don't cover touch areas. Games, videos should be full screen automatically, text, picture etc. apps with buttons in use should be transparent IMO. This needs to be done for each and every app, and it's odd that Google's advertising the feature but not showing how it's done.

Reactions: Vlad Paul and 1Chef

rirozizo

slimkat has that system-wide

Hiding bars system-wide can be and maybe should be done with Google's support, transparent mode however needs per-app rework, remapping game controls for example so Android buttons don't cover touch areas. Games, videos should be full screen automatically, text, picture etc. apps with buttons in use should be transparent IMO. This needs to be done for each and every app, and it's odd that Google's advertising the feature but not showing how it's done.

google taught the developers how to add that to their own apps, and devs started working on it in several apps and games. it's all a matter of time before the list starts growing dramatically.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Can you please state if the app is fullscreen/immersive or has transparent bars? Thx!

Apex released the final build for their KitKat style launcher.

Reactions: Vlad Paul

Top Liked Posts