[ROM] [Huawei U8100/U8110/U8120] [Eclair] The Celestial Teapot RLS4d [2010-12-19]

Search This thread

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
The Celestial Teapot RLS4d

DOWNLOAD: TCT_RLS4d.zip

A ROM for made for and tested on Huawei U8100 Expert Sweden but has been confirmed to work on most, if not all, U8100/U8110/U8120 phones. T-mobile pulse mini U8110 needs an update after install (se end of this post).

This ROM was previously known and developed under a different name in the Swedroid forums and the Modaco forums

(btw, can we PLEASE get at least a generic Huawei forum at xda-developers?)

RLS4d
- RLS4d = RLS4b/c + overclocking fix

RLS4c overclocking fix
- There's a mistake in the frequency tables in RLS4c and the RLS4b camera fix that seems to affect some phones. This fix (attached) can be used on both RLS4b and RLS4c and will fix both the camera issue (RLS4b) and the overclocking issue (RLS4c).

RLS4c
- RLS4b + camera fix

RLS4b camera fix (attached)
- The camera fix replaces the kernel with one that uses the same PLL for overclocking as RLS3 did (PLL2). Appearently PLL1 is used by the camera so it wasn't safe to change it.

RLS4b
- New (QVGA hacked) version of market... propably needs a wipe.

RLS4
- New overclocking code in kernel, default speed is 633.6MHz but can be tweaked with SetCPU.
- Updated (and hacked) Market
- Updated several apps to latest version
- Removed Facebook (download it from Market if you need it) to free up some space in /system
- Replaced brut maps with latest official Google Maps (5.0.0)
- Propably something more that I've forgotten...
It's propably a good idea to wipe, since Market and Maps has been replaced.

RLS3
- Changed bootlogo
- Changed bootanimation
- Replaced Google Maps with modified version (brut17) Seems you need to do a full wipe after upgrading because the replaced Maps apk
- Updated DocToGo to latest version
- Added Flash Lite support
- Most likely updated something more that I've forgot
- Fixed a tiny error in the installation script that could kill USB-mounting if you go from stock ROM to my ROM without wipe:ing data.

RLS2
- Made overclocking code in kernel to be aware of those phones that runs at 600MHz with stock ROM.
- Added support for U8120 optical d-pad in kernel
- Added tun.ko module for OpenVPN users
- Updated LauncherPro
- Updated Roadsync

Kernel
- 2.6.29 based on kernel source released by T-mobile UK for the pulse mini.
- Slightly modified to work on non T-mobile Android builds.
- Added overclocking based on HTC Hero code by phhusson. Default install is NOT overclocked. Add overclocked kernel with update.
- Added swap support.
- Added compcache 0.6.2 swap free notify patch.
- Added LZO support (needed by compcache)
- Added EXT3 support (for better A2SD)
- Removed unused stuff, like PS2 mouse drivers, non-used touchscreen drivers and NFS support. The result is a smaller, but more useful kernel than before.

Android
- Android 2.1 based on the official U8100 Expert Sweden ROM
- Rooted with latest Superuser Permissions
- Fully odexed (system apps will not use dalvik-cache = more space on /data)
- Removed Launcher2
- Removed MyWeather widget.
- Removed TouchPal and AndroidKeyboard
- Removed ServoSearch
- Hacked a way around the "cust" system making Wifi work on other phones than just expert/se phones.
- Moved autorun.iso to /system freeing up 25Mb for apps on /data
- Added Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5.2 + swappiness bug fix.
- Compiled and added compcache kernel module + script to enable/disable compcache.
- No JIT by default but can be added with update.
- Hacked Vending.apk (Market) version 2006 that will greatly increase the number of available apps by faking HVGA (320x480).
- Fakes autofocus and more for more apps in the market
- Updated to latest Google Maps
- Updated to latest Google StreetView
- Added Launcher Pro
- Added Home Switcher
- Added the last flip-clock versionen of Weather widgets (yr.no).
- Added Googles News & Weather app/widget.
- Added HTC_IME & an AndroidKeyboard with Voice input support (also adds VoiceSearch).
- Added busybox with symlinks
- Added nano (texteditor)
- Added bash
- Replaced bootanimationen with a Nexus animation I resized for QVGA for another project.
- Replaced RoadSync with the offical upgrade you are allowed to download.
- Adjusted wallpapers in the original launcher to correct sizes and ascpect ratio for a QVGA device. May make them look a bit weird in the original launcher.

Installation
See post #2

Overclocking
See post #3

Compcache
See post #4

A2SD
See post #5

T-Mobile pulse mini users
UPDATE 2010-10-10: New zip file attached that also fixes the GPS. (TCT_tmo_u8110_update_2.zip)
If you can't get a phone network connection after installing, install the attached TCT_tmo_u8110_update.zip. That update replaced the ril libs with libs that are compatible with your phone.

JIT
Adding JIT gives a performance boost but I choosed to make it an optional update as it can cause problems with some apps. So far we know some apps that uses the google maps framework crashes if JIT is eanbled. Use the attached TCT_JIT_update.zip to enable JIT. There is also an update to go back to non-JIT if you change your mind later.

Attachments

• TCT_JIT_update.zip
    406.5 KB · Views: 5,657
  • TCT_tmo_u8110_update_2.zip
    342.5 KB · Views: 20,798
  • TCT_NoJIT_update.zip
    363.9 KB · Views: 3,717
  • TCT_RLS4c_overclock_fix.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 5,642
Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Installation

1. Flash a recovery image (tested with AmonRA.)

2. Copy the .zip file to your MicroSD card and boot the phone into recovery mode (call+volume-up+power)

3. Choose "Flash zip from sdcard" and choose the zip you just copied.

4. (optional) Wipe data+cache before rebooting. It may or may not work OK to not wipe data but it's propably best to wipe.

Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Overclocking
EDIT 2010-12-17: Removed all overclocking addons as they are now(with RLS4) obsolete
EDIT 2010-11-09: Updated all overclocking files with the new bootlogo.
EDIT 2010-10-11: Updated all overclocking files with the optical d-pad fix för U8120 phones.
EDIT 2010-10-27: Updated all overclocking files with support for phones that run 600MHz with their stock ROMs

Overclocking code has been rewritten in RLS4. The new kernel defaults to 633.6MHz which I believe should work on all phone. Let me know if it does not.

Use the app SetCPU if you want to overclock above the default 633.6MHz(default in RLS4) overclock.
SetCPU can be bought on Market or downloaded from XDA developers

Be careful with the "Set on boot" checkbox untill you know for sure if a speed is stable our not. Most phones will propably find a stable frequency in the 672-710.4MHz area but some can go higher. The highest allowed in the kernel is 748.8MHz.

Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Compcache

If you are using are allready using a swap partition on your SD-card, then you most likely shouldn't enable compcache. But if you do not want to partition your SD-card then compcache can be a good alternative.

Read more about how Compcache works here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Compcache

Enable compcache
In a terminal or using an adb shell type this:
$ su
# compcache.sh enable

Type free to confirm you now have 32Mb swap

Disable compcache
$ su
# compcache.sh disable

Type free to confirm you now have 0Mb swap

Advanced users
Compcache size, settings and swappiness is setup in /system/bin/compcache.sh
If you are an advanced user, you'll know how to proceed from here...

Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
A2SD

(Only tested with AmonRA recovery image)

1. Backup your MicroSD card (IMPORTANT!)

2. Boot into recovery mode (see Installation instructions)

3. Choose to partition your SD card.
I recommend 32Mb for Swap and unless you plan to also move the dalvik-cache to the MicroSD card anything more than 512Mb for applications will be pointless as you will still be limited by the internal space for the dalvik-cache. You can of course use more space for swap if you have a large MicroSD card but I don't think it will make much difference but sure 64Mb won't hurt and on a 8Gb card you can afford it.

4. (optional) Convert EXT2 partition to EXT3 (EXT3 is an improved filesystem compared to EXT2).

5. Reboot the phone.

A2SD will now automaticly move your apps to the SD-card partition and enable your swap partition.

To change how a2sd works see this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7021609&postcount=5
(a2sd jit is NOT supported in my ROM as I've choosed to provide JIT as an update instead)

NOTE: If you intend to use A2SD it's propably a good idea to enable it early. Some apps (at least my banking app) doesn't like being moved and have to be uninstalled and reinstalled if you move it from internal to SD or the other way around.

NOTE2: Don't EVER remove your SD-card while the phone is turned on if you use A2SD and/or swap.

NOTE3: Having your apps on the slower (compared to NAND) SD-card propably have a performance hit but I can't say I've noticed it when testing it. However I believe that if you also move the dalvik-cache the performance hit may be noticable.

Last edited:

Xylograph

Sep 2, 2009
Hi there,

I saw you're post about the overclocking issue I have with the Vodafone 845 (huawei 8120) thanks for that.

So this rom should also be compatible with the 8120 ?

It seems you have added a lot of good stuff and I am going to try you're rom really soon.
I am also wondering if the overclock will work or do I still need to flash a 'stock rom' first?

Thanks for the hard work !

Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Hi there,

I saw you're post about the overclocking issue I have with the Vodafone 845 (huawei 8120) thanks for that.

So this rom should also be compatible with the 8120 ?
I believe it should. The kernel config from a stock U8120 that I recieved when doing the overclocking was identical to the one from a stock U8100 so I believe the phones uses the same hardware.

It seems you have added a lot of good stuff and I am going to try you're rom really soon.
I am also wondering if the overclock will work or do I still need to flash a 'stock rom' first?
Yes, if you did the 600MHz hack your phone will use the wrong frequency array and I haven't adjusted that array. Also I am not sure what other effects it can have by using the wrong frequency array and I do not even now why the hack makes it use the wrong array. Likely some firmware has changed when you flashed the wrong UPDATA.APP and it's propably a good idea to get back to the one that was intended for your phone.

Thanks for the hard work !

Edit : Maybe it is me beeing not so smart again,but I don't really understand which .zip file gives exactly what speed in post #3 ;)

652800 = 652.8MHz and so on... it's the speed i KHz as it is the format used in the frequancy arrays. Having digged into the acpuclock.c quite a few times now I took it for granted that everyone could see the connection but I guess I could make it more clear. Thanks for pointing it out.

Xylograph

Sep 2, 2009
I did a full wipe and partition sd with 32mb swap,512mb ext2,ext2 to ext3.

Flashed you're rom and everything seems to work great :)

You were right about the cpu reading though (still @ 600 Mhz) ..now installing 'stock rom' and hope the readings return to normal again.

Thanks again !

Edit : Tried to flash 'stock rom' but the update failed hlaf way,anyway my cpu readings were back to normal after flashing back you're rom (528 Mhz that is) after that flashed you're 691 Mhz zipfile and... It works !!!

Thanks a lot for the explanations ! really helpfull (I understand things a bit better now)

Now I have to do some testing if 691 Mhz is stable for this phone.
Do you have any recommendations (apps) for stress-testing ? (is setcpu stress test any good?)

I will report back with my findings.

Thanks once again

Last edited:

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Now I have to do some testing if 691 Mhz is stable for this phone.
Do you have any recommendations (apps) for stress-testing ? (is setcpu stress test any good?)

Not sure about stress testing, haven't done much of it myself really. But if 691.2MHz is stable then you may want to try 710.4. If you are familiar with fastbooting you can extract the boot.img and do a fastboot with a different boot.img without flashing it.

I suppose Neocore could be a good stress test on our phones since they lack hardware 3D and have to do all the 3D rendering in software.

Xylograph

Sep 2, 2009
if 691.2MHz is stable then you may want to try 710.4.

I did some testing and the 691.2 Mhz seems stable on my phone (VF845 - 8120) and since other available roms here are using you're 691.2 Mhz 'mod' we can safely say it is stable for this phone I think.

I also tried the 710.4 zip-file,but this resulted in a lockup in the boot-animation ;)

A bit to much I think.

Anyway 163 Mhz more as stock speeds is still pretty amazing :cool:

btw. I was wondering if it is possible to uninstall some apps that come with you're rom ? I can't find them in the 'uninstaller'

Thanks

EDIT : Talking about overclocking got me thinking..Do you think it would be possible to undervolt in some kind of way to gain more battery-time (on lower cpu-speeds) ?

Last edited:

gareng007

Jul 23, 2010
Hi,

Flash it to my U8100 but unfortunately it stuck on the booting animation.
Even when I flash the 633.6MHz update.

The phone works fine with your previous ROM (rls6_JIT I found at Modaco) and 633.6 MHz update.

Need your help to make A2SD works.
Thanks.

popred

Feb 22, 2010
HI,
Works well on my t-mobile pulse mini,but gps not working.
runs fast at 652 speed :),please can you fix gps.

rickwyatt

Feb 7, 2007
london
Overclocking

Here are a bunch of different updates with different overclocking speeds.

As far as I know most phones works fine with 652.8MHz. My phone works pretty good ad 691.2MHz but I had at least one random reboot so I went down to 672MHz. Some phones may even be stable at 710.4MHz but mine isn't.

If anyone needs a lower speed or even wants to try a higher one, let me know and I'll compile and update for you.

I recommend the app SetCPU if you want to do some tweaking like setting up different speed profiles.

SetCPU can be bought on Market or download from XDA developers

Explanation about the filenames.The numbers are the speeds in kHz. So 672000 means 672MHz and so on...

dose these work on the pulse mini?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Celestial Teapot RLS4d

DOWNLOAD: TCT_RLS4d.zip

A ROM for made for and tested on Huawei U8100 Expert Sweden but has been confirmed to work on most, if not all, U8100/U8110/U8120 phones. T-mobile pulse mini U8110 needs an update after install (se end of this post).

This ROM was previously known and developed under a different name in the Swedroid forums and the Modaco forums

(btw, can we PLEASE get at least a generic Huawei forum at xda-developers?)

RLS4d
    - RLS4d = RLS4b/c + overclocking fix

RLS4c overclocking fix
    - There's a mistake in the frequency tables in RLS4c and the RLS4b camera fix that seems to affect some phones. This fix (attached) can be used on both RLS4b and RLS4c and will fix both the camera issue (RLS4b) and the overclocking issue (RLS4c).

RLS4c
    - RLS4b + camera fix

RLS4b camera fix (attached)
    - The camera fix replaces the kernel with one that uses the same PLL for overclocking as RLS3 did (PLL2). Appearently PLL1 is used by the camera so it wasn't safe to change it.

RLS4b
    - New (QVGA hacked) version of market... propably needs a wipe.

RLS4
    - New overclocking code in kernel, default speed is 633.6MHz but can be tweaked with SetCPU.
    - Updated (and hacked) Market
    - Updated several apps to latest version
    - Removed Facebook (download it from Market if you need it) to free up some space in /system
    - Replaced brut maps with latest official Google Maps (5.0.0)
    - Propably something more that I've forgotten...
    It's propably a good idea to wipe, since Market and Maps has been replaced.

RLS3
    - Changed bootlogo
    - Changed bootanimation
    - Replaced Google Maps with modified version (brut17) Seems you need to do a full wipe after upgrading because the replaced Maps apk
    - Updated DocToGo to latest version
    - Added Flash Lite support
    - Most likely updated something more that I've forgot
    - Fixed a tiny error in the installation script that could kill USB-mounting if you go from stock ROM to my ROM without wipe:ing data.

RLS2
    - Made overclocking code in kernel to be aware of those phones that runs at 600MHz with stock ROM.
    - Added support for U8120 optical d-pad in kernel
    - Added tun.ko module for OpenVPN users
    - Updated LauncherPro
    - Updated Roadsync

Kernel
    - 2.6.29 based on kernel source released by T-mobile UK for the pulse mini.
    - Slightly modified to work on non T-mobile Android builds.
    - Added overclocking based on HTC Hero code by phhusson. Default install is NOT overclocked. Add overclocked kernel with update.
    - Added swap support.
    - Added compcache 0.6.2 swap free notify patch.
    - Added LZO support (needed by compcache)
    - Added EXT3 support (for better A2SD)
    - Removed unused stuff, like PS2 mouse drivers, non-used touchscreen drivers and NFS support. The result is a smaller, but more useful kernel than before.

Android
    - Android 2.1 based on the official U8100 Expert Sweden ROM
    - Rooted with latest Superuser Permissions
    - Fully odexed (system apps will not use dalvik-cache = more space on /data)
    - Removed Launcher2
    - Removed MyWeather widget.
    - Removed TouchPal and AndroidKeyboard
    - Removed ServoSearch
    - Hacked a way around the "cust" system making Wifi work on other phones than just expert/se phones.
    - Moved autorun.iso to /system freeing up 25Mb for apps on /data
    - Added Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5.2 + swappiness bug fix.
    - Compiled and added compcache kernel module + script to enable/disable compcache.
    - No JIT by default but can be added with update.
    - Hacked Vending.apk (Market) version 2006 that will greatly increase the number of available apps by faking HVGA (320x480).
    - Fakes autofocus and more for more apps in the market
    - Updated to latest Google Maps
    - Updated to latest Google StreetView
    - Added Launcher Pro
    - Added Home Switcher
    - Added the last flip-clock versionen of Weather widgets (yr.no).
    - Added Googles News & Weather app/widget.
    - Added HTC_IME & an AndroidKeyboard with Voice input support (also adds VoiceSearch).
    - Added busybox with symlinks
    - Added nano (texteditor)
    - Added bash
    - Replaced bootanimationen with a Nexus animation I resized for QVGA for another project.
    - Replaced RoadSync with the offical upgrade you are allowed to download.
    - Adjusted wallpapers in the original launcher to correct sizes and ascpect ratio for a QVGA device. May make them look a bit weird in the original launcher.

Installation
    See post #2

Overclocking
    See post #3

Compcache
    See post #4

A2SD
    See post #5

T-Mobile pulse mini users
    UPDATE 2010-10-10: New zip file attached that also fixes the GPS. (TCT_tmo_u8110_update_2.zip)
    If you can't get a phone network connection after installing, install the attached TCT_tmo_u8110_update.zip. That update replaced the ril libs with libs that are compatible with your phone.

JIT
    Adding JIT gives a performance boost but I choosed to make it an optional update as it can cause problems with some apps. So far we know some apps that uses the google maps framework crashes if JIT is eanbled. Use the attached TCT_JIT_update.zip to enable JIT. There is also an update to go back to non-JIT if you change your mind later.
    Installation

1. Flash a recovery image (tested with AmonRA.)

2. Copy the .zip file to your MicroSD card and boot the phone into recovery mode (call+volume-up+power)

3. Choose "Flash zip from sdcard" and choose the zip you just copied.

4. (optional) Wipe data+cache before rebooting. It may or may not work OK to not wipe data but it's propably best to wipe.
    Overclocking
    EDIT 2010-12-17: Removed all overclocking addons as they are now(with RLS4) obsolete
    EDIT 2010-11-09: Updated all overclocking files with the new bootlogo.
    EDIT 2010-10-11: Updated all overclocking files with the optical d-pad fix för U8120 phones.
    EDIT 2010-10-27: Updated all overclocking files with support for phones that run 600MHz with their stock ROMs

Overclocking code has been rewritten in RLS4. The new kernel defaults to 633.6MHz which I believe should work on all phone. Let me know if it does not.

Use the app SetCPU if you want to overclock above the default 633.6MHz(default in RLS4) overclock.
    SetCPU can be bought on Market or downloaded from XDA developers

Be careful with the "Set on boot" checkbox untill you know for sure if a speed is stable our not. Most phones will propably find a stable frequency in the 672-710.4MHz area but some can go higher. The highest allowed in the kernel is 748.8MHz.
    Compcache

If you are using are allready using a swap partition on your SD-card, then you most likely shouldn't enable compcache. But if you do not want to partition your SD-card then compcache can be a good alternative.

Read more about how Compcache works here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Compcache

Enable compcache
    $ su
    # compcache.sh enable

Type free to confirm you now have 32Mb swap

Disable compcache
    $ su
    # compcache.sh disable

Type free to confirm you now have 0Mb swap

Advanced users
    Compcache size, settings and swappiness is setup in /system/bin/compcache.sh
    If you are an advanced user, you'll know how to proceed from here...
    For god's sake cedric123, stop advertising your rom!
    Yes its very good etc,its even on the first page of this forum.
    Soon or later everyone will see it.
    Your doing more harm in your job/effort by advertising it.
    We are a community here,act like the others.