[Root][Working 10.3.1]Kindle Fire 2 Root made easy

Search This thread

Jordan011

Oct 10, 2010
After looking all across the internet on how to root one of these for a friend, I finally just tried what I did to my Hd 7" and it works, so here's what I did.

What you need:
-Bin4ry's Root
-QemuRoot
Also: I picked up the HD adb drivers from the Qemu page, they did work on recognizing my friends KF2 as an adb interface
(I take no credit for these programs, and am not responsible for any problems they may cause)

Before you start this process, ensure that in Settings>Device>"allow installation of applications" is on, as well as Settings>security>"Enable adb"

-Install the adb drivers if you haven't already
-Extract both Qemu and bin4ry's tools to your C: Drive (For Command prompt purposes) and what I have done is renamed the folders to "Root" and "Qemu"

Like this

Now we're going to start the process. If you are an experienced user and already have adb running, I suggest opening task manager and killing adb.exe

In windows:
Click on start, then type CMD in, right click it then "Run as administrator" Like this

If you named the files "Root" and "Qemu" this are the steps:

Step 1: Type this in the window, hitting enter after each line.
cd ..\..\Root
runme.bat

When the screen shows an interface, type 1 then hit enter, A lot of errors will show up but that's fine,

On Kindle:
When your kindle shows a "Restore" screen hit restore (No data will be lost, no worries)

After it finishes out you should get a command line again like "C:\Root>"

Step 2: Now for the Qemu, type
cd ..\Qemu
rootqemu.bat

When you get another interface type 1, then hit enter, press enter a couple times until it starts the steps.
It'll restart your kindle a couple times make sure you don't press enter until it has booted up again whenever it prompts you to.

You'll get some errors, especially on the local.prop section, that's fine, when it runs all the way through, You are rooted.

If you want proof, you can download Es File explorer and grant it Root permissions in the settings.

If you want Google play, I suggest this guide (note: in that guide, when he references "Settings/apps" he means "System/apps")

If you want GO Launcher HD and other goodies like no more lockscreen ads, download KindleFree from google play (Pro version is $1.99, needed to get rid of adds, better than paying 15 bucks to get rid of em)

Last remarks:
I don't really know if this did anything, but I went into device manager and under "portable devices" I disabled the kindle, just to make sure there would be no interference.

Also, this guide works for the Kindle Fire HD 7" (ver. 7.2.3), not sure about the 8.9" as I don't own it, nor know anybody who has one.

HUGE EDIT:I forgot to put "cd" in front of the command lines, which would result in it doing nothing, I apologize.

Last edited:

Jordan011

Oct 10, 2010
Edit: GO launcher HD didn't work for him, he installed APEX instead and it worked.

I would have added this to the post, but my KFHD isn't editing the post properly.

Reactions: mindmajick

Boyzdad

Jan 23, 2008
Hello, I followed the above the above, it all went well, I then followed the Google play tut, perfect.......

Then I over did it and put the apex launcher apk into system/app directory as suggested in another post, big mistake, now it boots and the launcher keeps crashing , if I click search on the bottom task bar the kindle resets :(

I can still adb into it, so all is not lost, but I have a question, can anyone give me any ideas on how I can get to root explorer (installed, but not accessible because the launcher keeps crashing) I would be very grateful. Or as an alternative, and adb/shell command(s) I can run to delete the apex apk. ;)

Last edited:

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
Once you are rooted, you can manually remove the lockscreen ads, without purchasing an app to do it. It is simple. I removed the ad app using Titanium Backup Pro but, others have done it THIS way.

Do people actually want to keep the KF lockscreen? It seems like a lot more work to remove the adds than it is to add a new lockscreen using the NoLock method. However, on certain lockscreens (I've been trying a lot since I haven't used a tablet much, so I haven't found a favorite lockscreen for tablets) I do notice that the, homebar (not sure what that bottom bar is officially called since I have a vendetta against it) won't hide for some of the lockscreens I've tried. Other than that though I find it much nicer and easier to replace the thing then get the adds off.

I get that your post was a free way, but just curious. As a side note, why are there no cool tablet lockscreens? It took ages for people to get cool phone lockscreens going, I hope someone thinks up something unique for tablets!

Boyzdad

Jan 23, 2008
Once you are rooted, you can manually remove the lockscreen ads, without purchasing an app to do it. It is simple. I removed the ad app using Titanium Backup Pro but, others have done it THIS way.

Thanks, but the lock screen/ads are not the problem, I have (stupidly) put the apex launcher into the system/apps folder (as instructed on another post). What happens now is that when I start up my KF2 I get the message "Apex launcher has stopped working" this means I have no access to any of my installed apps (root explorer etc) to be able to remove the apex launcher :(

I have tried to start the search (magnifying glass icon) to manually type in "root explorer" but this just causes the KF2 to re-start.

I have access thro phone explorer, but it will not allow me to delete the apex launcher apk (probably because it keeps trying to run). What I am after is any tips/methods to be able to either start root explorer or adb into the KF2 to be able to delete the apex launcher apk. :(

Any ideas/tips very welcome. ;)

Milly7

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks, but the lock screen/ads are not the problem, I have (stupidly) put the apex launcher into the system/apps folder (as instructed on another post). What happens now is that when I start up my KF2 I get the message "Apex launcher has stopped working" this means I have no access to any of my installed apps (root explorer etc) to be able to remove the apex launcher :(

I have tried to start the search (magnifying glass icon) to manually type in "root explorer" but this just causes the KF2 to re-start.

I have access thro phone explorer, but it will not allow me to delete the apex launcher apk (probably because it keeps trying to run). What I am after is any tips/methods to be able to either start root explorer or adb into the KF2 to be able to delete the apex launcher apk. :(

Give this a try.

https://sites.google.com/site/androidhowto/how-to-1/install-and-uninstall-applications-using-adb

This link seems more informative

www.careace.net/2010/05/12/how-to-remove-android-apps-through-adb/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tantalizing Tracy
Do people actually want to keep the KF lockscreen? It seems like a lot more work to remove the adds than it is to add a new lockscreen using the NoLock method. However, on certain lockscreens (I've been trying a lot since I haven't used a tablet much, so I haven't found a favorite lockscreen for tablets) I do notice that the, homebar (not sure what that bottom bar is officially called since I have a vendetta against it) won't hide for some of the lockscreens I've tried. Other than that though I find it much nicer and easier to replace the thing then get the adds off.

I get that your post was a free way, but just curious. As a side note, why are there no cool tablet lockscreens? It took ages for people to get cool phone lockscreens going, I hope someone thinks up something unique for tablets!

Exactly why I removed the ads and not the lock screen. Learned earlier in AVD that the Launcher is tricky. I pushed ADW.Launcher to the system/app folder and had the same issue. Since we have no option to restore at this time, it's best not to hack the system up too bad. Hopefully, the bootloader will be cracked soon and recovery will be possible. Until then, be patient and be safe. I suggest practicing in the emulator before trying anything on the device. Just a precaution.

Boyzdad

Jan 23, 2008
Exactly why I removed the ads and not the lock screen. Learned earlier in AVD that the Launcher is tricky. I pushed ADW.Launcher to the system/app folder and had the same issue. Since we have no option to restore at this time, it's best not to hack the system up too bad. Hopefully, the bootloader will be cracked soon and recovery will be possible. Until then, be patient and be safe. I suggest practicing in the emulator before trying anything on the device. Just a precaution.

Thank for the advise, but I have not removed the lock screen, just rooted it and pushed the google market/framework/vending etc, Am I missing something obvious that you are trying to tell me? Sorry if I am :(

The emulator sounds good, have you got a link please? (I have the SDK installed).

Last edited:

Boyzdad

Jan 23, 2008
OK, all sorted ;)

I ran -Bin4ry's Root, this takes you to the 1st step (restore), on this screen I managed to click the search (mag-glass) without the KF2 resetting (possibly this stopped the apex launcher?). This then allowed me to search for RootExplorer (previously installed) and then I could delete the Apex.apk from system/apps..... reboot all done.

However, this does make me wonder what is going on, I can install a game from google play, all good, the icon shows up (and I can search for it) run it all good. But if I try to install a launcher (apex,adw, go ex etc) they don't show up either icon or in search :( Any ideas why this could be? (I checked under settings/applications/installed applications/all applications/ click on apex but the launch by default button is grayed-out)

Oh, just a quick tip with the above rooting method, if your KF2 does not re-set during rooting (when it should) I just manually re-set it and all seemed to go well ;) Also it can take a long time for the KF2 to been "seen" by the PC after re-boot, just be patient ;)

Last edited:

Jordan011

Oct 10, 2010
OK, all sorted ;)

I ran -Bin4ry's Root, this takes you to the 1st step (restore), on this screen I managed to click the search (mag-glass) without the KF2 resetting (possibly this stopped the apex launcher?). This then allowed me to search for RootExplorer (previously installed) and then I could delete the Apex.apk from system/apps..... reboot all done.

However, this does make me wonder what is going on, I can install a game from google play, all good, the icon shows up (and I can search for it) run it all good. But if I try to install a launcher (apex,adw, go ex etc) they don't show up either icon or in search :( Any ideas why this could be? (I checked under settings/applications/installed applications/all applications/ click on apex but the launch by default button is grayed-out)

Oh, just a quick tip with the above rooting method, if your KF2 does not re-set during rooting (when it should) I just manually re-set it and all seemed to go well ;) Also it can take a long time for the KF2 to been "seen" by the PC after re-boot, just be patient ;)

I had to fish for em sometimes using AndroExplorer using the "My programs" tab they have in the app.

inchoate

Oct 28, 2012
I'm trying to root a kindle fire 2 running 10.2.4, and i am hitting a road block over and over. I run bin4ry's tool, and it goesthrough the sequence of error messages, the wait 10 seconds message, some more error messages, then it says it's done. It never gives me a restore prompt.

I don't think it's a driver problem. device manager sees adb composite interface. I have, however used multiple driver sources just to be sure, no difference. Used bin4ry's original files, and tried with the ones from the sdk. Same results.

Any ideas? I must be overlooking something.

Last edited:

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
What do you get if you run:

adb devices

Which your Kindle connected try running:

adb kill-server

Then

adb start-server

Then try it again. To check the commands, just type adb and press enter.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
I'm trying to root a kindle fire 2 running 10.2.4, and i am hitting a road block over and over. I run bin4ry's tool, and it goesthrough the sequence of error messages, the wait 10 seconds message, some more error messages, then it says it's done. It never gives me a restore prompt.

I don't think it's a driver problem. device manager sees adb composite interface. I have, however used multiple driver sources just to be sure, no difference. Used bin4ry's original files, and tried with the ones from the sdk. Same results.

Any ideas? I must be overlooking something.

Dont set as adminstrator just click the bin4ry's

KindofBlues71

May 2, 2011
Many, many thanks to the OP and others in this thread, as well as this forum. It was a pain in the ass, but I got the drivers and adb installed and finally got my KF2 rooted. Then I spilled half a glass of beer onto the Fire...

The case protected it from getting wet but half a glass of good beer was lost. :(

Thanks again,

KindofBlues71

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
This method worked as per the op. The only thing I had problem with was the usb drivers (linked in the op), had to get the usb drivers using Android sdk method.

Now the Kindle is no more but a vanilla tablet. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After looking all across the internet on how to root one of these for a friend, I finally just tried what I did to my Hd 7" and it works, so here's what I did.

What you need:
    -Bin4ry's Root
    -QemuRoot
    Also: I picked up the HD adb drivers from the Qemu page, they did work on recognizing my friends KF2 as an adb interface
    (I take no credit for these programs, and am not responsible for any problems they may cause)

Before you start this process, ensure that in Settings>Device>"allow installation of applications" is on, as well as Settings>security>"Enable adb"

-Install the adb drivers if you haven't already
    -Extract both Qemu and bin4ry's tools to your C: Drive (For Command prompt purposes) and what I have done is renamed the folders to "Root" and "Qemu"

Like this

Now we're going to start the process. If you are an experienced user and already have adb running, I suggest opening task manager and killing adb.exe

In windows:
    Click on start, then type CMD in, right click it then "Run as administrator" Like this

If you named the files "Root" and "Qemu" this are the steps:

Step 1: Type this in the window, hitting enter after each line.
    cd ..\..\Root
    runme.bat

When the screen shows an interface, type 1 then hit enter, A lot of errors will show up but that's fine,

On Kindle:
    When your kindle shows a "Restore" screen hit restore (No data will be lost, no worries)

After it finishes out you should get a command line again like "C:\Root>"

Step 2: Now for the Qemu, type
    cd ..\Qemu
    rootqemu.bat

When you get another interface type 1, then hit enter, press enter a couple times until it starts the steps.
    It'll restart your kindle a couple times make sure you don't press enter until it has booted up again whenever it prompts you to.

You'll get some errors, especially on the local.prop section, that's fine, when it runs all the way through, You are rooted.

If you want proof, you can download Es File explorer and grant it Root permissions in the settings.

If you want Google play, I suggest this guide (note: in that guide, when he references "Settings/apps" he means "System/apps")

If you want GO Launcher HD and other goodies like no more lockscreen ads, download KindleFree from google play (Pro version is $1.99, needed to get rid of adds, better than paying 15 bucks to get rid of em)

Last remarks:
    I don't really know if this did anything, but I went into device manager and under "portable devices" I disabled the kindle, just to make sure there would be no interference.

Also, this guide works for the Kindle Fire HD 7" (ver. 7.2.3), not sure about the 8.9" as I don't own it, nor know anybody who has one.

HUGE EDIT:I forgot to put "cd" in front of the command lines, which would result in it doing nothing, I apologize.
    GOT IT FIGURED OUT!
    it wasn't the drivers or a bad download.
    after much searching and reading it was just a single line "0x1949" i had to insert into the adb_usb.ini

i found it here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893838&page=4

Originally Posted by Strothmann
    Thanks for the tip

"C:\Users\<your username>\.android\adb_usb.ini"

now hjas the line in it,
    "# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
    # USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
    # 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
    0x1949"

after i did this, everything worked without a hitch!
    hope this helps someone else out.

J.R.
    Edit: GO launcher HD didn't work for him, he installed APEX instead and it worked.

I would have added this to the post, but my KFHD isn't editing the post properly.

Give this a try.

https://sites.google.com/site/androidhowto/how-to-1/install-and-uninstall-applications-using-adb

This link seems more informative

www.careace.net/2010/05/12/how-to-remove-android-apps-through-adb/
    I forgot to post, this also works on 10.4.8.