[Q] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Prevail?

Search This thread

chinniwhites

May 3, 2011
I am a c++ programmer by trade who is just now looking into android phones not only for communication but also for development. I picked up the Samsung Galaxy from Boost Mobile in order to first learn how to root, flash ROMs, and then get into dev.

My first goal is to root the phone so i can use it as a wifi hotspot. I first tried to download quick settings to see if i could get the wifi hopspot that way. I can see the hidden option for wifi hotspot but everytime I press it to turn it on, the phone disables the wifi totally. I then tried z4root, not root. I tried gingerbreak and it did not work. I would try to use superoneclick but cannot find usb drivers that will work with the galaxy prevail while its in usb debugging mode.

Any advice on how to get this phone rooted would great. Can you also list the prevail as one of the device supported on this site to spur development?

Reactions: martinrzeduardo

New Optimus

Works well the other question i have how do u delete default apps thats already install on the samsung prevail?

The easy way is to download android mate from the market. In that you can show system apps find the one you want, such as hookt long press press properties and find where it is installed. It is in /system/app by the way, most will be.

Then using a file explore that has read/write capability, I used root explorer,
you then got to /system/app and make sure to toggle r/o to r/w long press the apk and delete, make sure to also delete the corresponding odex.

Just one thing to remember DO NOT GO CRAZY deleting what you do not know if you delete something important your phone wont work.

for a quick rundown of what I did look
http androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/346151-stealing-thunder.html#post2769048

it wont let me post links so you will have to add the :// yourself.

Reactions: jtl1138

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
Wifi hotspot!

Great news! thank you for all the info. Will try this later. My biggest question and the one I've been waiting for. Any idiea how to turn this phone into a wifi hotspot? I'm sure a lot of us would love this! Thanks in advance

New Optimus

Great news! thank you for all the info. Will try this later. My biggest question and the one I've been waiting for. Any idiea how to turn this phone into a wifi hotspot? I'm sure a lot of us would love this! Thanks in advance

easiest way is after rooting download wireless tether from the android market

Reactions: papo12

muelo1000

Jun 5, 2011
Rochester
guide or instrcuction on how to do it

OK excuse the NOOBNESS but it there a guide or instruction on how to root the phone I am new at this and i would like to try it, also would i be able to transfer some of the apps installed on my internal memory to my SD card ??? thanks in advance

P.s. I love my Prevail :D

ibdilbert

Oct 3, 2010
Now that we have this phone rooted and we are stirring up an interest, how do we get the device added into the XDA Device Database under Samsung/Android catagory?

New Optimus

OK excuse the NOOBNESS but it there a guide or instruction on how to root the phone I am new at this and i would like to try it, also would i be able to transfer some of the apps installed on my internal memory to my SD card ??? thanks in advance

P.s. I love my Prevail :D

to transfer your apps is already something you can do, if the developer made that a possibility. You could also try app2sd on android market. I think it works with or without root.

As to rooting you can look
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/346918-one-click-root-2.html#post2777681

Xtronwest

May 11, 2011
Thanks it works well Also can we get gingerbread too or we can't

The easy way is to download android mate from the market. In that you can show system apps find the one you want, such as hookt long press press properties and find where it is installed. It is in /system/app by the way, most will be.

Then using a file explore that has read/write capability, I used root explorer,
you then got to /system/app and make sure to toggle r/o to r/w long press the apk and delete, make sure to also delete the corresponding odex.

Just one thing to remember DO NOT GO CRAZY deleting what you do not know if you delete something important your phone wont work.

for a quick rundown of what I did look
http androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/346151-stealing-thunder.html#post2769048

it wont let me post links so you will have to add the :// yourself.

Last edited:

New Optimus

Thanks it works well Also can we get gingerbread too or we can't

We wont beable to do anything with gingerbread, even if there was a port of it out for the prevail.
As of yet there is no custom recovery, without it there is no way to flash a gingerbread rom.

I think recovery is the next thing these smart guys are working on give them some time it will be worth it.

Top Liked Posts