[Q] Galaxy SIII battery drain on standby

Search This thread

dstech

Jun 7, 2007
Detroit
I uninstalled Facebook and I'm getting stellar battery life! I made a link to the browser webpage instead. It's unbelievable how bad the app consumes power.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

SlyShade

Jan 26, 2012
I uninstalled Facebook and I'm getting stellar battery life! I made a link to the browser webpage instead. It's unbelievable how bad the app consumes power.

I did that too, but it didn't fix the problem. I noticed Facebook asks you for a permission to keep your phone awake.

I'll try flashing the stock ROM again, but I'll add the accounts manually and not over TB, maybe that's causing the issue.

inflames_dnk

Mar 16, 2012
I have the international version and the battery drain in standby is a big problem. I lose about 1% every 5-10 minutes. I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network. I've been using GSam Battery Monitor to locate the problem. I saw Facebook woke up my phone for about 500 times and I deleted it. However, I'm still experiencing this issue. In 5 hours Google services woke up my phone 47 times (in included packages it says: Google Contacts Sync; Network Location) and Maps woke it up for about 20 times.

I'm rooted and I'm running stock (LH1). No custom kernels or modems. What's the problem?

EDIT: Also, the drain is happening only when I'm connected to a Wi-Fi network (I noticed it's much slower while I'm on mobile data)

You should log out all your account of gmail, facebook...they always update new feeds or emails even if your wi-fi network is off that causes battery drain

SlyShade

Jan 26, 2012
You should log out all your account of gmail, facebook...they always update new feeds or emails even if your wi-fi network is off that causes battery drain

But I turned it off for Facebook (and deleted the app actually), but not for Gmail. Is there no way for me to have sync with Gmail? It would be kind of stupid having a smartphone and not knowing when I get a new email.

arjunpaliath

Jun 23, 2012
Chennai
After a long and extensive search I just realized that this issue is with the device and a lot of people are having the same issue. So I just tried to look into possible solutions that I could use, but most the solutions required root(which I dont want to do). Then there were some suggestions like using task killers turning off sync, uninstalling FB etc.

I have two Galaxy S3 international versions, so decided to test some options. In one of my SGS3(Pebble Blue) I disabled the animations, switched off sync from notification bar and disabled wifi and gps. I left my second SGS3(white) unchanged. Both the phones had 100% charge. After about 4hrs now I can see that my SGS3 PB still has 100% charge and my SGS3 white has 88% charge. So I guess this issue requires a minor fix which I hope samsung releases in the immediate future or atleast release the JellyBean update on August 29th, 2012.

SlyShade

Jan 26, 2012
After a long and extensive search I just realized that this issue is with the device and a lot of people are having the same issue. So I just tried to look into possible solutions that I could use, but most the solutions required root(which I dont want to do). Then there were some suggestions like using task killers turning off sync, uninstalling FB etc.

I have two Galaxy S3 international versions, so decided to test some options. In one of my SGS3(Pebble Blue) I disabled the animations, switched off sync from notification bar and disabled wifi and gps. I left my second SGS3(white) unchanged. Both the phones had 100% charge. After about 4hrs now I can see that my SGS3 PB still has 100% charge and my SGS3 white has 88% charge. So I guess this issue requires a minor fix which I hope samsung releases in the immediate future or atleast release the JellyBean update on August 29th, 2012.

I don't know, I think an app might be causing this. My friend has also got Galaxy S3 international version and he isn't experiencing any battery drains.

abidpioneer

Mar 23, 2007
Doha
Try changing your modem ... Use XXLG9 as I personally had battery leak in LH1 modem now using LG9 and battery is normal... Give it a try...
:cowboy:

bagulhodoido

Aug 26, 2012
It would be nice if someone with a nice battery life could tell us exactly how his S3 is set. With info like:
  • ROM
  • Kernel
  • Mods, or not
  • Tweaks, or not
  • Battery Management App and the settings used, or not
  • Usage, maybe some screenshots of the battery statistics
  • Charging cycles
  • Something else that could be helpfull

That way, things would get clearer.

timsmooth

Apr 17, 2009
It would be nice if someone with a nice battery life could tell us exactly how his S3 is set. With info like:
  • ROM
  • Kernel
  • Mods, or not
  • Tweaks, or not
  • Battery Management App and the settings used, or not
  • Usage, maybe some screenshots of the battery statistics
  • Charging cycles
  • Something else that could be helpfull

That way, things would get clearer.

Since this is only a month or so old I will assume you still have the same problem if not maybe it helps someone else. I am running the stock release of 4.1 JB. No battery killer no task killer. At the time I was on 4.0 stock for these screen shots, but battery still is not a problem for my S3.

GT I9300

*Rooted and I did install cell standby fix
105 apps installed
FB and Twitter 3 hour sync
I run the ticker updates every 3 hours
Running nova prime launcher, but better results in touch wiz
*Fast Dormancy Toggle available in play store for root- via xda tv Erica's suggestion.
*Emails sync daily but I check them periodically
Wifi is usually always on
*GPS always off less in use
*Samsung power saving is on everything but the CPU
*Bluetooth on when in use only
Google now is on
*screens on auto brightness
Developer Options> Apps> Standard limit (dont know if this helps) I experimented with killing process imitatively after leaving app, but it was inconclusive.
weather widget sync every 3 hours not like weather changes every 15 minutes
*Black Background> Straight Black
*Blackish weather widget> HD widget
*Black Lock Screen> Straight Black
Stock internet browser with change background in internet to save power under power saving
*LED indicator OFF - I found it kills my battery unbelievably fast like 1 flash will kill 10percent after a reboot
*Touch light duration - off I know where they are
NFC - Off Never use it
S beam - Off Never use it
Tethering is off I dont use it
Dynamic Screen mode
*Screen Timeout in 30s
Lock Screen weather updates every 3 hours
No water sound
No smart stay
No voice to wake up s voice
All voice services svoice/google now turned on and other motion and gesture services are turned on. Let me know if you want exacts
NO Battery Percentage
NO 3rd party task killers
Location services is ON
*NO Haptic Feedback

* = Items I think really made a difference.

I know it might not seem like I told you much but I get well over 10 hours easily. I average 14 hours and 3+ hours of the screen being actually on with the phone in use like playing dead trigger. I also stream a lot of Stitch, pandora, GListen and XM. If I put the processor on battery saver Ill get 15 - 17 or more hours. That's in use not just letting the phone sit idle. I kid you not I am always looking at this phone like wow! Crazy how around the same time you guys were starting this thread about battery drain I was in awe of how long this thing can go.

When just a few years ago I could not get 6 out of an Evo 4g and last year I struggled to get 10 out an s2 E4gT. Battery is the last thing I am concerned about. LOL It runs so long that I notice that it likes a reboot every other day or so just to keep things running properly. I posted some screen shots also. I had to take them because I know just saying it no one would believe me. With Androids battery killing reputation. So when I here ifans talk about how good their battery life is I say really? Tell me about it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-01-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-01-02.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 747
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-00-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-00-43.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 891
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-00-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-10-00-35.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 831
  • Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-13-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-13-04.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 736
  • Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-13-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-22-22-13-09.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:

timsmooth

Apr 17, 2009
Location is a known source of battery drain .

jje

I tend to leave location on as I use the services, but battery life is still not a problem. I know everyone says the "battery fix" is a visual thing, but I thought it fixed the way the phone calculated battery life. After I have installed it my battery life has been interstellar. I installed the fix and never looked back. Guess my GS3 just needed the placebo to reach its full potential.

darwinwin

Jul 15, 2012
Beirut
hey, whats the cell standby fix u mentioned. I'm in lebanon and my gsm provider's support are too stupid to know if fast dormancy is enabled on my network..a little help with that please? I'm really having a bad battery life and no one could help me with the better battery stats dump file

timsmooth

Apr 17, 2009
hey, whats the cell standby fix u mentioned. I'm in lebanon and my gsm provider's support are too stupid to know if fast dormancy is enabled on my network..a little help with that please? I'm really having a bad battery life and no one could help me with the better battery stats dump file

First you have to root. Hopefully you know how to do that, but here is the method I used if you dont. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32485480#post32485480 <<<Cell Standby fix thread. I did the one you flash through Clockwork.

Cell standby supposedly fixed the battery reporting problem on the S3 when the phone is idle. Works for me because I have not been on the charger in 7hours and I have 75 percent of battery left. Prior to install I would loose battery life quickly when Idle.

Fast dormancy I guess that's just one of the things you just have to test yourself and see what the result is. Just download the app from Google Play install it toggle it on and reboot. Wait a couple of days and see if battery life improves. I am assuming you can monitor the network connection via the battery stats. Im not sure why it truns green. I know blue is connected so I assume the yellowish green means dormant?.?. Fast dormancy also adds a few second delay before it wakes up and connects back to the network. Look at Erica's video on XDA TV for more clarity on it.

Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: darwinwin

darwinwin

Jul 15, 2012
Beirut
hey there. i read about cell standby and i dont have the reporting problem, i am rooted and on latest siyah, .
when i disabled fast dormancy i noticed that the phone stays awake all the time after a network loss. though this "awake" reporting is not really accurate for i dont have the normal battery drain on other wakelocks. ( I'm not sure how this mod is supposed to report)
although i can barely make it trough the day, other s3 near me have a better battery life, the best screen on time i ever had is 2 hours, 13 hiurs on standby, my brother works in a place with 0 signal, makes it trough 24 hours and 3 hoyrs screen on although we have the same xdllib, same siyah and same mods( he just drops by and asks me what new kewl features i have :p )
would you help if i submitted better battery stats dump? and what conditions should i do to make an easy to read , global log?
thanks in advance

sent from my microwave

DominionZA

Aug 24, 2009
For the last 3 weeks I have been struggling to get stand by strain under control. Was averaging around 6.7% PH.
After trying different ROMS, settings, blah... even new battery... I decided to RMA my phone.
I got a new phone yesterday morning. Rooted it, flashed JB stock, and been very happy since.

So turns out there was an actual fault with the device.

Bodoma

Sep 27, 2012
  • JIMIUI ROM - Jimbo's Jellybean MIUI ROM, which I really like and allows a great deal of customization, especially aesthetic, which you can find on the MIUIdotUS site.
  • Using the latest Siyah kernel.
  • Always at the dimmest screen brightness, change manually if and when I need it.
  • I use JuiceDefender Ultimate. I know that many people don't believe in this app, but honestly the scheduler function is fantastic and many of the other features are pretty helpful. The scheduler is great because it overrides the way that you receive notifications (i.e. push and pull) and gives them all to you at one time at a frequency of your choosing. i.e. I have JuiceDefender set up to disable data, enabling it only once every 15 minutes to receive all new events, it keeps data on for 30 seconds, or if there is an exchange of data going on above a certain threshold, it will wait until the transfer is done before it turns data off again. However, when I am on WiFi, I have it set up to just keep all lines open. You don't have to pay and get Ultimate for this function, it comes in the basic free version as well. One of the nicest features is that it also shows you how much battery it's saved you.
  • In terms of charging cycles, lately, because I've been at university from 10am until around 7 or 8pm, I've been doing mostly full charges and by the time I get home I'm at around 3-10%. Generally, though, it is supposedly better to charge lithium ion batteries between 20-80%, as that prolongs battery life and slows down how quickly its capacity is reduced over time, so that's what I've been doing.
  • Finally, my statistics. Yesterday I was calibrating my battery, so I gave it a full charge and a full discharge, keeping an eye on screen time and call time. I got 18 hours of battery life with 3 and a half hours of screen time and 20 minutes of call time.
  • Supposedly, one of the admins on the Siyah chat got 40-42 hours of life on his S3 with 7 hours of screen time by undervolting a flat value of -100mV across all CPU frequencies, which is what I actually just did this morning. So I'll update this post tomorrow letting you guys know how my battery is doing with this new tweak.

Hope this post helped!

Last edited:

gaspo53

Aug 29, 2010
Samsung S3 Battery Drain overnight on 4.1.1

• JIMIUI ROM - Jimbo's Jellybean MIUI ROM, which I really like and allows a great deal of customization, especially aesthetic, which you can find on the MIUIdotUS site.
  • Using the latest Siyah kernel.
  • Always at the dimmest screen brightness, change manually if and when I need it.
  • I use JuiceDefender Ultimate. I know that many people don't believe in this app, but honestly the scheduler function is fantastic and many of the other features are pretty helpful. The scheduler is great because it overrides the way that you receive notifications (i.e. push and pull) and gives them all to you at one time at a frequency of your choosing. i.e. I have JuiceDefender set up to disable data, enabling it only once every 15 minutes to receive all new events, it keeps data on for 30 seconds, or if there is an exchange of data going on above a certain threshold, it will wait until the transfer is done before it turns data off again. However, when I am on WiFi, I have it set up to just keep all lines open. You don't have to pay and get Ultimate for this function, it comes in the basic free version as well. One of the nicest features is that it also shows you how much battery it's saved you.
  • In terms of charging cycles, lately, because I've been at university from 10am until around 7 or 8pm, I've been doing mostly full charges and by the time I get home I'm at around 3-10%. Generally, though, it is supposedly better to charge lithium ion batteries between 20-80%, as that prolongs battery life and slows down how quickly its capacity is reduced over time, so that's what I've been doing.
  • Finally, my statistics. Yesterday I was calibrating my battery, so I gave it a full charge and a full discharge, keeping an eye on screen time and call time. I got 18 hours of battery life with 3 and a half hours of screen time and 20 minutes of call time.
  • Supposedly, one of the admins on the Siyah chat got 40-42 hours of life on his S3 with 7 hours of screen time by undervolting a flat value of -100mV across all CPU frequencies, which is what I actually just did this morning. So I'll update this post tomorrow letting you guys know how my battery is doing with this new tweak.

Hope this post helped!

Is anibody still following this thread? I have a S3 with the official poland 4.1.1, and I have a drain problem on stand by... Not so much, but I loss 1.5% per hour. And BBS shows me almost 7 hours of no signal. (I'm from Argentina, I don't know if the CSC can be problematic with the signal over here...)
Another cuestion is, wich firmware is the unbranded and unlocked version for Argentina (LATAM) of these? Because if the problem is the firmware, I want to have a unlocked version of the firmware and no problems with the CSC (to upgrade when Samsung releases JB here) and there are 3 versions, ARO, CTP and ANC (Wich one is the right?)

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-23-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-23-45.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-23-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-23-50.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-24-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-24-15.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-25-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-25-33.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-24-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-16-07-24-10.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 255

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
You are on wifi and seemingly using google now (as shown by the high amount of attempts to get your current position)
Both drain battery so your standby is far higher than you could get otherwise - you always have to choose between features and battery saving.
However ask yourself a question: why did you buy a 600$ device if you don't use the features?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Dazblink

Jan 26, 2012
I had a very strange battery drain problem over the weekend. I was working away in a different part of the country (Somerset) and hardly used my phone and the battery drained extremely quickly in standby. I`m talking 100% to 0% in 6-7 hours with very little usage - far less usage than if I had been at home. It did this 3 days running. I installed skype for the first last week and thought it had got something to do with that but now that I am back home in the midlands it has gone back to normal. This does not make sense to me. Any thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CHECK wakelocks and if ur S3 is deep sleeping properly with BBS
    Location is a known source of battery drain .

jje

BBS = BetterBatteryStats.

It's an app which displays wakelocks. Widely used to resolve phone wake problems.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Still think this is a deep sleep issue, also check if Wireless is set to always on ;)

First you have to root. Hopefully you know how to do that, but here is the method I used if you dont. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32485480#post32485480 <<<Cell Standby fix thread. I did the one you flash through Clockwork.

Cell standby supposedly fixed the battery reporting problem on the S3 when the phone is idle. Works for me because I have not been on the charger in 7hours and I have 75 percent of battery left. Prior to install I would loose battery life quickly when Idle.

Fast dormancy I guess that's just one of the things you just have to test yourself and see what the result is. Just download the app from Google Play install it toggle it on and reboot. Wait a couple of days and see if battery life improves. I am assuming you can monitor the network connection via the battery stats. Im not sure why it truns green. I know blue is connected so I assume the yellowish green means dormant?.?. Fast dormancy also adds a few second delay before it wakes up and connects back to the network. Look at Erica's video on XDA TV for more clarity on it.

Let me know how it goes.