[Q] Is it possible to root without installing a custom recovery?

Search This thread

mchun

Dec 14, 2012
I've got a GPE One and I just want it rooted without a custom recovery so that I can still get OTA updates. Is this possible?

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
I've got a GPE One and I just want it rooted without a custom recovery so that I can still get OTA updates. Is this possible?

On hboot 1.44 it was, but you're likely on a higher version already, so what you can do is flash recovery, root, and reflash stock recovery. That way you'll still get OTAs once you relock your bootloader (assuming that you're s-on, otherwise no need to relock)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: mchun

mchun

Dec 14, 2012
On hboot 1.44 it was, but you're likely on a higher version already, so what you can do is flash recovery, root, and reflash stock recovery. That way you'll still get OTAs once you relock your bootloader (assuming that you're s-on, otherwise no need to relock)

How does one reflash stock recovery? I have never done that before, didn't need too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
How does one reflash stock recovery? I have never done that before, didn't need too.

you can flash your stock recovery the same way you flash a custom recovery. The only thing you need is to find the stock recovery you need. Check what is your main-ver # and download the ruu.zip or ota.zip that match your main-ver and extract the zip to find the recovery.zip file. Then move it to your adb/fastboot folder and open a cmd prompt from that folder.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.zip
fastboot reboot

you can also copy/paste the output of this command:

Code:
fastboot getvar all

minus EMEI and SN and maybe we'll be able to link you the stock recovery you'll need to flash after you have rooted your device.

Reactions: mchun

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

you can flash your stock recovery the same way you flash a custom recovery. The only thing you need is to find the stock recovery you need. Check what is your main-ver # and download the ruu.zip or ota.zip that match your main-ver and extract the zip to find the recovery.zip file. Then move it to your adb/fastboot folder and open a cmd prompt from that folder.

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.zip
    fastboot reboot

you can also copy/paste the output of this command:

Code:
    fastboot getvar all

minus EMEI and SN and maybe we'll be able to link you the stock recovery you'll need to flash after you have rooted your device.