[Resources] Flashing your First GSM Rhodium Rom (For Noobs)

Search This thread

horbeme

Jun 2, 2009
Brooklyn
i have a question, i will be flashing my rom for the 1st time andwould like to know will i be able to use my phone as soon as i finish updating it. the reason i ask is because when i had the htc touch (vogue) i updated the 6.0 to 6.1 threw verizon's website and had to call them to put the phone back on the network. even thought it was an official update from verizon i was scared cause my phone wouldn't make or receive calls, woul di have the same issue with my TP2. i plan on using NRGZ28 sense 2.5 21905 build which seems to have what im looking for cause im big on performance. also could you explain more on why he recommended to download sashimi before doin the update. i found the software but how it was explained was confusing, i new to doing this so ineed a little more understanding of it..thanks for your help

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
i have a question, i will be flashing my rom for the 1st time andwould like to know will i be able to use my phone as soon as i finish updating it. the reason i ask is because when i had the htc touch (vogue) i updated the 6.0 to 6.1 threw verizon's website and had to call them to put the phone back on the network. even thought it was an official update from verizon i was scared cause my phone wouldn't make or receive calls, woul di have the same issue with my TP2. i plan on using NRGZ28 sense 2.5 21905 build which seems to have what im looking for cause im big on performance. also could you explain more on why he recommended to download sashimi before doin the update. i found the software but how it was explained was confusing, i new to doing this so ineed a little more understanding of it..thanks for your help

I have never had to call my service provider to put my TP2 back on the network after a ROM flash (also using NRG's ROMs).

Sashimi is a tool to help you restore settings. the EnergyROM series also includes a tool called XDA_UC to help you do this, which is detailed elsewhere. For myself, I prefer to set things up manually after a flash, and I restore my data via PIMbackup (obviously saved before the flash).

kimnjace08

Jun 6, 2010
um...problem...

I get an error when I open the customruu.exe application. What did I do wrong??

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 19

kimnjace08

Jun 6, 2010
um

Make sure you are running CustomRUU.exe from the same folder that has the RHODIMG.nbh file in it. Also make sure your anti-virus software is turned off.

-----------------------

my anti-virus lets me open it but its the program that has a problem with my utility or whatnot...is it a problem with my phone? i am using the customruu.exe from the same folder (now that someone has graciouly helped me figure out how to open a 7z file) but i still get the same message... :((

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
-----------------------

my anti-virus lets me open it but its the program that has a problem with my utility or whatnot...is it a problem with my phone? i am using the customruu.exe from the same folder (now that someone has graciouly helped me figure out how to open a 7z file) but i still get the same message... :((

You're not running it off a network-shared drive, are you ? It's not the phone, on your PC the CustomRUU.exe somehow can't find the RHODIMG.nbh. Something must be up to mean that it can't find it. Maybe try deleting them and extract from the archive again ? Or put them in a different place on your PC. Where is it running from ? Try creating an empty folder on your desktop, put the 2 files in there, and run it from there.

kimnjace08

Jun 6, 2010
@ steviewevie

:D:D:D:D:D:DI love you! :) problem solved...:D:D:D:D:D:D

-----

forgot to mention HOW it is solved...

i guess i never actually extracted the folder like i thought i had already done - PLUS i kept it separate from ALL other rom's i was trying to flash :)

Last edited:

StewTheGreat

May 7, 2008
Alright I'm flashing my new Tilt 2 for the first time. I'm trying to flash HardSPL and every time it tells me there's a fatal error and to check if the device is synced. The device is synced, I can access it and move files to it and everything. I have no idea what the problem is. I tried running the manual SSPL exe but it just caused my phone to freeze and I got no black screen. I'm getting very frustrated. I just want to install a custom rom. :(

StewTheGreat

May 7, 2008
Alright I'm flashing my new Tilt 2 for the first time. I'm trying to flash HardSPL and every time it tells me there's a fatal error and to check if the device is synced. The device is synced, I can access it and move files to it and everything. I have no idea what the problem is. I tried running the manual SSPL exe but it just caused my phone to freeze and I got no black screen. I'm getting very frustrated. I just want to install a custom rom. :(

Ok, I did a bit more searching and found how to fix it on my own. Thanks anyway.

sungod916

Feb 11, 2008
My phone (ATT Tilt2) is still out of the box stock... nothing flashed.
I've been kicking around the forums for awhile now and can't figure this out..

What is on my stock phone: HTC Sense 2.1 or Manila 2.5

I think I've decided that this will be my first ROM flashed: [ROM][WWE][ATT][2010/03/10] e2 ROM 21893 [FINAL RELEASE]

But I don't know whether to download Manila version or Sense 2.5

Thanks!

Prodeje79

Dec 29, 2008
Ohio

Could you share what you did?

yamdalal

May 2, 2009
how come every one else questions r being answered and no one has even attempted to help me i been asking questions for like a week and no one ever answered my question

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
how come every one else questions r being answered and no one has even attempted to help me i been asking questions for like a week and no one ever answered my question

I have tried to help you a few times. But if you don't reply back then i'm done.

Maybe you should tell us the steps that you tried. And tell them in detail so that we can help.

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK

I have also tried to help you. For instance, I suggested you try from another computer somewhere else. Did you try that ?

yamdalal

May 2, 2009
i know i apologies im sorry i didnt mean it like that i know u guys helped me and i am very thankful

i tried to do the manual flash but every time it says the server is down and to try in 5 mins or the firewall must be turned off,
i turned off the firewall and im doing it from my home computer i also hooked up the internet direct like u guys said but nothing is working also i donated twice and tried to auto flash and sitll says the same thing.

i did the manual flash i pressed the volume down and soft reset button on my phone and it went to the tricolor screen then pressed the manual flash it goes thru all the process i check the box on the first page then click next i check the box on the next page and click next then i do all of that and it gets stuck on 0%

i also tried puting the manual one on my phone and everytime i click on it my phone just gets stuck , ohh and i did download that .cab that it tells u to download

THANKS ALOT FOR EVERY ONES HELP :D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):D:D:D:D

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
i know i apologies im sorry i didnt mean it like that i know u guys helped me and i am very thankful

i tried to do the manual flash but every time it says the server is down and to try in 5 mins or the firewall must be turned off,
i turned off the firewall and im doing it from my home computer i also hooked up the internet direct like u guys said but nothing is working also i donated twice and tried to auto flash and sitll says the same thing.

i did the manual flash i pressed the volume down and soft reset button on my phone and it went to the tricolor screen then pressed the manual flash it goes thru all the process i check the box on the first page then click next i check the box on the next page and click next then i do all of that and it gets stuck on 0%

i also tried puting the manual one on my phone and everytime i click on it my phone just gets stuck , ohh and i did download that .cab that it tells u to download

THANKS ALOT FOR EVERY ONES HELP :D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):D:D:D:D

What is the windows version that you are using? You must NOT go into the bootloader! Sync with active sync of wmdc. Make sure you use the latest version of these programs.

And what do you mean by the phone gets stuck? You sync with active sync of wmdc and You run the SSPL-Manual-Rhodium.exe on your phone and then what? If the screen goes black that is normal. Then run the manual flash.

If this does not work, can you make screenshots of the errors that you get and upload it here?

Sep 26, 2007
Hi, I am experiencing difficulty flashing any new roms on my phone and now my phone doesn't want to load anything but the "Touch Pro2" loading screen.

I did the HARD SPL via this method - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=578660 and I checked the bootloader screen afterwards to verify the 1.00 Olinex.

The first rom I tried to flash didn't work and just loaded the "Touch pro2" Screen and it doesn't want to move from there. So I put the phone into bootloader mode and tried to flash 2 different roms repeatedly and still all I get is the "Touch Pro2" loading screen.

Have I done the process correctly? Have I left something out? Is it still possible to recover my phone?

This is the exact phone I bought off eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110540257795&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I first tried the Faria V1 Rom and then the Energy.RHODIUM.21905.Sense2.5.Cookie.Jun.11.7z rom.

I am running Vista 32-bit.

Someone please help...

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Hi, I am experiencing difficulty flashing any new roms on my phone and now my phone doesn't want to load anything but the "Touch Pro2" loading screen.

I did the HARD SPL via this method - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=578660 and I checked the bootloader screen afterwards to verify the 1.00 Olinex.

The first rom I tried to flash didn't work and just loaded the "Touch pro2" Screen and it doesn't want to move from there. So I put the phone into bootloader mode and tried to flash 2 different roms repeatedly and still all I get is the "Touch Pro2" loading screen.

Have I done the process correctly? Have I left something out? Is it still possible to recover my phone?

This is the exact phone I bought off eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110540257795&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Even though that eBay listing says "GSM", that looks like a CDMA "Worldphone", because it's a Verizon phone (who use a CDMA network). The phone can work on GSM with a SIM card though.

So that's why your phone is hanging on the TP2 screen at startup, because you've flashed a GSM ROM onto a CDMA phone. You need to flash a CDMA version of NRG's ROMs (see the link in his first posting to ppcgeeks.com for this).

All you need to do is put your phone into the bootloader (hold Volume Down and press the reset button), then plug it into the computer and flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS!!

IF YOU HAVE A CDMA DEVICE THEN GO *HERE* FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO HARDSPL

IF YOU NEED TO HARD RESET OR ENTER BOOTLOADER YOU CAN FIND INSTRUCTIONS *HERE*

Before starting, backup anything you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed as all contacts, emails, texts, notes, Internet BookMarks WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

*ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED A HARDSPL ITS PERMANENT. YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*

*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*
    *DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground*
    *DO NOT let the Screensaver activate*

Any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone

*FLASH HARDSPL BEFORE FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROMS*

1. YOUR DEVICE MUST HAVE AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST BEFORE ATTEMPTING EACH STAGE

2. FLASH HARDSPL

The Original HardSPL Thread is *HERE*

IMPORTANT:
    Each user gets 1 license, or perhaps 2-3 on request if needed (valid forever and works as transparently as possible, so it won't be a problem at all)
    you can send a request for 1-2 more devices for private user (free) at http://support.htc-unlocks.com (ONLY at this link, not in PM).

NOTE1:
    This package is for Rhodium (Touch Pro 2, not the original Touch Pro) devices. CDMA-GSM worldphone version is not accepted (RHOD400, RHOD500 modelids), that will have its own HardSPL later. This HardSPL supports WM6.5

NOTE2: If you have Vista or Windows 7, update WMDC to v6.1 *HERE* first

Flashing via ActiveSync with USB Lead
    (thanks to
    OliNex)
    1. Download HardSPL package from *HERE* and extract to an empty folder
    2. Synch Phone with PC in Windows Mobile!!! It has to be connected to activesync or WMDC via USB cable and it must not be in Flight/Airplane mode (i.e. radio should be on)
    3. NEW: Internet access is required as the program checks online for updates and license
    4. Run
    Rhodium-HardSPL_V2_00R3.exe on PC, make sure it's launched from a local drive (not through network drive, etc.). XP requires Admin logon and Vista/Windows 7 will automatically prompt to allow it to run in Admin mode, allow it. If you get an AntiVirus warning please ignore it, it contains no harmful code (just used a packer to compress it).
    5. Follow steps as prompted in the HardSPL program. If this is the first run of HardSPL on a device after Hard Reset, you must select Automatic Flash Mode (first button in Welcome Screen)
    NOTE: You should usually go for Automatic Flash Mode. The Manual Flash option is only to be used as noted below and you must only attempt the Manual Mode option if Automatic Flash Mode or SSPL-Manual.exe already put device in black screen. Any other errors triggered while running in Autoflash Mode will have to be fixed as instructed in the error message.
    6. It will ask you to wait while it prepares for the flashing, press OK
    7. Now it should go through without any error messages, if one does pop up then follow the instructions included in the error text. If no specific instruction is shown then ask for help in the thread, but this should not ever occur (as this means a really fatal error occurred)
    8. At this point the phone hopefully went to a black screen (reporting version as 1.01.C-SSPL only using "info 7" in mtty), this is the SSPL version, which is temporary. Then RUU will instantly launch
    9. NOTE: When RUU says it will Hard Reset do not worry, it is not going to do that. Also when it says the flash will take 10 minutes ignore that, it will only take a minute or so
    10. SPL flashes, device automatically reboots, job done

*Go into BootLoader Mode
    (do a Soft Reset while holding the "volume down" key on the left side of the device. Keep holding the "volume down" key until you see tricolour screen which is the bootloader mode, then release it) and verify the screen shows 0.85.OliNex, which is the HardSPL version*

NOTE1: This is unsigned HardSPL. No limitations on flashing ROMs (except of course some Radio roms). Also this has overwrite protection against HTC RUU's overwriting HSPL with a stock one.
    See steps in the Original thread about how to reflash stock SPL.

NOTE2: Anyone having USB problems with the device after it enters SSPL mode, download SSPL-Manual-Rhodium.exe, copy it to the phone and run it. Once the screen has gone black, run the HardSPL package on the PC and select Manual Flash option.
    *IMPORTANT* Make sure that the USB cable is plugged in and device is synched to Windows Mobile even if doing manual method.

NOTE3: Do not use this RUU for anything other than SPL flashing (i.e. hardspl or stock spl restore)!!! Nothing other than SPL's made by Olinex team (using OliNex custom cert, which is not public) will flash to make SSPL more secure. If you want to flash another rom then use shipped RUU or Rhodium customRUU if you want to flash cooked ROM.

3. DOWNLOAD AND FLASH YOUR PREFERED ROM

NOTE: Check the Roms Thread for any specific Flashing instructions. If there arent any then you can use the following guide.

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    1. Download your prefered Rom from the Rhodium Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer
    2. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS!!
    3. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC
    4. Run the CustomRUU.exe
    from the Roms Folder (if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)
    . Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom
    6. Once phone has gone through the customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards
    7. Turn phone back on and set up as required

Flashing Via MicroSD Card
    1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)
    2. Download your prefered Rom from the Rhodium Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your PC
    3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to RHODIMG.nbh
    4. Copy the RHODIMG.nbh file to the root of your MicroSD Card
    5. Plug the MicroSD Card into the phone
    6. Enter the BootLoader screen, you will first see a tri-color screen with the phone and SPL Information at the top
    7. Follow the On Screen instructions to start the update
    8. After flash has completed, press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device.

4. FLASH PREFERED RADIO (OPTIONAL)

For more information about compatible Radios go *HERE*

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    1. Sync your phone with the PC
    2. Run CustomRUU.exe from the Radio's Folder and follow the instructions
    (if one isnt included then download it *HERE*)

Flashing via MicroSD Card
    Use same method as Flashing a Rom via MicroSD Card

5. JOB DONE. Well Done YOU DID IT!!

*DISCLAIMER*
    I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.
    I just tried to do a TASK29, like here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=649191

but, it asked my if i want to upgrade to the rom 2.0.0 (?? something)..and now the phone remains in the splash screen.

how can i connect it to upgrade to a ENERGY ROM?

i have done a couple of ROMs updates, and all of them worked fine...now...how to pass the spash screen and connect it to the PC?
    thank you...

tried the HARD RESET..and it still remains in the HTC white screen...for a couple of minutes...

Were you aware that task29 is a format utility? It erases everything on your device and prepares it for a flash. All you have to do to get to the bootloader to flash is press the reset button with your stylus while holding down the volume down button. This will bring you to a tri-colored screen known as the bootloader. Plug in your USB cord and the bottom of the screen should go from "Serial" to "USB." Once that happens, run the RUU for the ROM you wish to flash.

On a side note, a hard reset restores the last ROM you flashed. Meaning, since you flashed the fake OS from the task29 tool, you aren't really able to hard reset back to the last ROM you flashed. The task29 tool runs after the flash and wipes out everything. There basically isn't anything for the device to restore, which is why it doesn't work for you.
    ***Each user gets 1 license, or perhaps 2-3 on request if needed (valid forever and works as transparently as possible, so it won't be a problem at all)

1) Do we need this in order to install HardSPL?
    2) what is meant by it runs transparently?

I usually buy them unlocked already and decided to give it a go myself this time, so i am reading as much as possible before the big "brick" (^_^)

Thanks (^_^)

This means everyone can put Hard SPL on their device at least once. You don't need to apply for a license or anything, you get it with the download. Transparently means that your information is stored for later use if you need to Hard SPL a replacement device or anything.

This has nothing to do with unlocking your device for use on a different network. This only allows you to flash a custom or non-stock ROM to your device.
    Hi all,

I have a RHOD100 UK Touch Pro 2 that is just back from HTC due to an RS232 USB port failure.

I am trying to flash up the latest Energy ROM but when I tried to install it it sits at "Loading..." and does nothing. Do I need to re-HardSPL the handset? I have tried this and the Auto Flash doesn't work and gives an error message. I tried the manual flash and the phone sits at 0% and times out and then I got an Error 262 message?

Has HTC done something so I can't flash a Custom ROM on to the handset!!?

Thanks.

It's likely that they have relocked the device. The easiest way to check that is to get into the bootloader and see if it still says Olinex after the SPL version number. If it doesn't then you'll need to put it on there again. Contact cmonex for help on reflashing Hard SPL.
    it says spl-0.05.axebox

FULL TEXT :
    Rohod100 32m ss-dc
    spl-0.05.axebox
    microp(led) 0x0A
    microp(key) 0x04
    turbo hw/turbo sw
    TP MFG DATA
    449,522. 798,849
    790,202, 201,204
    189854 cALIBRATED

so do i still need to flash again?

That doesn't look like HardSPL on there - it's some custom "axebox" SPL by the looks of it. Probably worth flashing with HardSPL just to give you a safety net even if you don't want to change ROMs.

Incidentally, if you *do* want to change ROMs, there are some particularly good ones. I've been using Jackos S3 ManilaRUSH for the past couple of weeks and it's really quite speedy.