[GUIDE] GPS Navigation with TetherGPS

Search This thread

k4955

Oct 16, 2006
New York, NY
This is awesome works great using my Samsung vibrant as the server. I used SQL editor with no problems, really easy mod. Thanks

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
Could you please provide the steps using SQL editor. Whenever I use SQL editor to change the com.android.providers.settings /settings.db/ secure/ locations_providers_allowed-network suffixed with,gps and save-after reboot the ,gps is lost. I would like to have ,gps permanently added.

Thanks

soberarmy

Jan 21, 2011
San Diego
OnePlus 8
Not a dig on lionclaw. I was trying to do this exactly as shown in the directions, but as the others have said here, we get permissions errors. I found it was easier to use root explorer to navigate to the path: (This is assuming your device has already been rooted, if not you will need to accomplish this before proceeding)

/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/

1. create a copy and save it in a different folder. (it won't allow you to save in the same location). Rename the new copy to settings.bak Then move the settings.db back to the originating folder.

I used SQL Lite Editor (download from Android Market or web) to manipulate the settings:

navigate to Settings Storage (com.android.providers.settings)
tap on settings.db
tap on secure
tap on the menu button
tap new record
enter the "mock_location" for the name (no quotes)
enter "1" for value
tap save

You will need to reboot the Kindle Fire to allow it to take effect. Good luck to all!

Here is the first step.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

soberarmy

Jan 21, 2011
San Diego
OnePlus 8
Second part

Make sure your wifi tether is working on your phone and GPS is turned on.

3) Installed google maps and tetherGPS on my kindle.
4) On my phone I turn on wifi tether and run tetherGPS and start the server.
5) On my kindle I connect to my phones wifi, then I start tetherGPS on my kindle and click start client.
6) I start google maps and it found my location. So I can use Navigation.[/QUOTE]

I just followed the directions.

k4955

Oct 16, 2006
New York, NY
Here is the first step.

Thanks for the step 1. I had done that to get mock locations fix. Now when I try the same method to add GPS after network to eliminate GPS error, the settings.db allows me to navigate. However if I reboot KF, the saved file appears without the word GPS added. Do you have any idea how to make KF to retain such settings?

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
a 5 minute gps is pretty worthless. I only see a lite version in the market. Is there another program that does this?

Edit - I see it is a carrier restriction that I don't have the full version in the Android market. Amazon has it listed for my phone though. Too bad I cannot get it working on my ICS roms though.

Last edited:

panamakevin

I am running Kindle Fire with gedeROM v1.35 and while i have mock locations enabled in the ROM's settings, the tetherGPS client running, i am not receiving the location from my Droid4 which has a clear gps signal... Any ideas if this app even works on an ICS rom on kindle?

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Some claimed that KF has the chip with BT capability, but some posting said that it's not true. Is there any prove on which claim is true?

There is not a BT chip in the Fire, it has been verified.

I am running Kindle Fire with gedeROM v1.35 and while i have mock locations enabled in the ROM's settings, the tetherGPS client running, i am not receiving the location from my Droid4 which has a clear gps signal... Any ideas if this app even works on an ICS rom on kindle?

I'm on Hash's ICS ROM and I'm having the same issue as you, have you contacted the dev to see if it is supposed to be compatible with ICS?

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
I am on Hellfire ICS and cannot connect to the the wifi tether. I guess it's an ICS rom limitation?

Got it to work using the native(built into my rom I am using) and using that wifi hotspot and running mapquest like the other user a few pages back ago did. This seems to work but I haven't tried using it as a navi yet.

Last edited:

artur0588

Apr 1, 2012
Kharkiv

How did you enabled mock_location? Have you changed it in settings.db? If yes, then tether gps must work well as works for me. To enable it you have to navigate to settings.db and change value field of mock_location to 1 instead of 0. In this case everything work for me with gede rom v1.55. In fact, settings.db do not rewritable in CM9, to do this just copy db in any folder in your sdcard and make changing then delete original and move modified to original folder and restart your device. For some reasons you will not able to start your device, juts fix permissions in TWRP.
EDIT: Gede Rom v1.6 seems do not need any changes make in settings.db, just enough you check the box enable mock location in settings of the ROM.
Thanks for the suggestion which disabled the annoying message in Google Maps. However if I reboot KF the settings.db loses the extra value ,gps. I am forced to manually change value every time I restart the system. Do you have any directions to make the changes permanently?
If you want MoDaCo Rom will not change value gps to network after reboots try to change settings.db in different folder than replace with original by deleting original settings.db and paste modified then reboot your device, not sure if it helps but you can try. If Kindle Fire not boot up after this just Fix Permissions in TWRP.

Last edited:

SunkenTreasure

Jun 18, 2012
Different directories?

Where are you guys finding the settings.db file?

I have attached a picture of the file structure on my KF with 6.3.1_user_4107720.
As you can see, there is no
Code:
/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
file (or directory)...

intence

Jul 28, 2012
finally got this to work with my Samsung GS3 and CM9 kindle fire.

someone left a review with tip: you have to turn off auto broadcast on the server and enter the client device's IP address in the server's broadcast field.

it works and i can use gps nav and all that but occasionally the connection will drop and the only way to repair this and get back on gps is to force close tethergps and re-run it.

anyone else have the same issue?

ive been messing with tasker to try to automate a fix...

defroster

Sep 11, 2003
finally got this to work with my Samsung GS3 and CM9 kindle fire.

someone left a review with tip: you have to turn off auto broadcast on the server and enter the client device's IP address in the server's broadcast field.

it works and i can use gps nav and all that but occasionally the connection will drop and the only way to repair this and get back on gps is to force close tethergps and re-run it.

anyone else have the same issue?

ive been messing with tasker to try to automate a fix...
Ah finally!
Why on earth are we putting client ip in server ip broadcast I have no idea, but it's the only that that has finally got my little 7" noname tablet running android 2.3.3 to work using the gps on my nexus s.

Will test it out in the field tomorrow, thanks!

phuhqu2

Aug 20, 2009
temp root

I want to add nav to my wife's KF, but that's it; she wants to stay stock, and unrooted. Can I root, install/change what needs to be done to set this up, and then un-root and have it still work, or do the apps in question require permaroot to run?

mcostabr

Nov 8, 2007
São Paulo
www.hondaclub.com.br
Ah finally!
Why on earth are we putting client ip in server ip broadcast I have no idea, but it's the only that that has finally got my little 7" noname tablet running android 2.3.3 to work using the gps on my nexus s.

Will test it out in the field tomorrow, thanks!

Same here, only works if putting client ip in server ip broadcast.

Server: GT-I9000B - GB 2.3.6
Client: Kincle Fire - JB 4.1.1

surfrat3

Mar 4, 2009
cannot edit mock location to 1 ???

Not a dig on lionclaw. I was trying to do this exactly as shown in the directions, but as the others have said here, we get permissions errors. I found it was easier to use root explorer to navigate to the path: (This is assuming your device has already been rooted, if not you will need to accomplish this before proceeding)

/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/

1. create a copy and save it in a different folder. (it won't allow you to save in the same location). Rename the new copy to settings.bak Then move the settings.db back to the originating folder.

I used SQL Lite Editor (download from Android Market or web) to manipulate the settings:

navigate to Settings Storage (com.android.providers.settings)
tap on settings.db
tap on secure
tap on the menu button
tap new record
enter the "mock_location" for the name (no quotes)
enter "1" for value
tap save

You will need to reboot the Kindle Fire to allow it to take effect. Good luck to all!

I have rooted,rerooted and rooted again, market works perfect, apps load perfect, tether gps connects, but the sqlite editor says the "data base is locked. I cannot change it no matter what. using root explorer with superuser permissions and the sqlite editor wont allow any changes or copy, How to unlock the database? thanks,
:eek:

flascrnwrtr

Nov 25, 2011
Dallas, NC
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just did an up-and-back from Charlotte,NC to St. Petersburg, FL. Used GPS Tether and WiFi tether to connect to my Note 2. Used the Kindle for Navigator and Google Play Music. Worked like a charm (the only exception being, if someone called me and I talked for more than a few minutes, it would knock out the GPS Tether. It was so nice to have such a big screen secured to the dash.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The one thing keeping TetherGPS from working on the Kindle Fire is the missing development options in the settings menu, specifically the "Enable Mock Locations" option. You can however enable it manually.

UPDATED 9/9/2012

This post originally used Zergrush to root, but that no longer works with the latest updated software from Amazon. Check the development section to find the latest rooting information.

1. Root your Kindle Fire.

2. Obtain/install ADB, sqlite3, and the KF USB drivers. Make sure the KF shows up when you execute the command "adb devices" from a terminal.

3. Execute the following in a terminal window:

Code:
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    copy settings.db settings.bak
    sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

4. After the KF restarts you are set! Connect your KF to your phone's wifi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your KF. Install Google Maps/Earth or any other GPS-consuming app and you should be good to go.

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store on your rooted KF. Use Root Explorer and sqlite editor to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db and change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'. Restart your KF.

Demo Video:

Thanks goes to ros87 for posting this method for the Nook Touch here.
    I have ADB working fine, but when I run the batch file it just keeps saying " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

You need to put the platform-tools folder in your system's PATH variable, or you can drop the files from the zip into the platform-tools folder and run the batch file there.
    Version 1.2.0 was just posted. It includes some changes to make it easier to troubleshoot problems. It's now obvious if/when the server transmits location, if the client receives it, and how old the fix is. The server also will transmit network-derived locations if a gps fix is not available or if it is too old.

There was an update to the TGPS network protocol. This version will require you to update both the client and server, otherwise the client will report a version mismatch and not function.

- TetherGPS now sends the best available location (network or gps), and indicates the type and age of the fix on the notification bar.
    - Icons have been updated.
    - Different color icons now indicate status.
    + Gray = no connection
    + Red = very stale fix or no position
    + Yellow = stale fix
    + Blue = good fix.
    Post updated with simpler instructions. I wrote a batch file and included the files necessary to complete this procedure.

Demo video is also posted!

This is now a very easy process, and does not require that your device remain rooted. Google Maps is super smooth on the KF!
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but couldn't you edit the settings.db with root explorer right on the device?