My review of the Galaxy Tab - updated 02/02/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
A few goods, a few bads

I have to disagree about the speakers: I think they are very clear and resonant considering the size of the device. On the other hand I agree that the browser is unacceptably jerky and slow....I just can't understand why a device more powerful than the iPad can be so poor in comparison with regards to its web performance. Another gripe is that the browser defaults to mobile sites on any browser that uses the built in webkit. Whilst it might be true that a flash of an updated ROM will fix this, I still think it is ridiculous that I should have to void my warranty to get FULL web sites on the phone - it is after all a TABLET with more than enough power to view full sites. Mobile sites look downright ugly on such a high resolution, large screen anyway.
Another annoyance is that YouTube videos look pretty poor compared to the same ones on the iPad's built in YouTube app. It seems that Samsung were not allowed to tweak Google's app to allow HD streaming. The result is acceptable but certainly not stunning.

On the flip side, I do really enjoy using the device on the whole: I love the build quality, the gorgeous screen, the tactile quality which really makes using apps a dream. Most apps seem to scale excellently and the device fits nicely into a jacket pocket. I even like popping my SIM in and texting on the SGT - handcent is fantastic with such a large screen.

I just hope that Samsung treat this device as their baby and don't fob us off. I think there is developer interest in this device and I hope my enjoyment of the device increases month-by-month....

ConceptVBS

Jun 28, 2010
^ There is a new Youtube App from Google. You should download it.

Also, use a different browser like Opera, Dolphin HD or Firefox Beta 2 for improved performance. Not only that it also has better features than the stock browser. Who wants STOCK anyway? :D

The mobile version does suck however. Hopefully there is a fix for that.

Last edited:

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
^ There is a new Youtube App from Google. You should download it.

Also, use a different browser like Opera, Dolphin HD or Firefox Beta 2 for improved performance. Not only that it also has better features than the stock browser. Who wants STOCK anyway? :D

The mobile version does suck however. Hopefully there is a fix for that.

the firefox browser has an add on to enable full web browsing. Shame it doesnt support flash though.

Ive got the latest YouTube app but it still doesnt support HD streaming and now has the annoyance of completely restarting any video you might be watching if you exit the app. I swear the old one used to let you carry on where you left off!

pjcltd

Dec 10, 2003
I would suggest everyone will dial *#1234# and put in here all the info about firmware.
What I got is PDA and CSC are JJ2 and PHONE JJ1.
CSC is locally branded for my operator (Cellcom)

i have
PDA P10000XWJJ3
PHONE: P1000XXJID
CSC: P1000CPWJJ3
hope that helps you out
Mine is unlocked to all networks

ConceptVBS

Jun 28, 2010
the firefox browser has an add on to enable full web browsing. Shame it doesnt support flash though.

Ive got the latest YouTube app but it still doesnt support HD streaming and now has the annoyance of completely restarting any video you might be watching if you exit the app. I swear the old one used to let you carry on where you left off!

Your one tough cookie to please! :D

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
The YouTube thing IS annoying though - it definitely used to remember your position when you exited the app. Even the iPhone YouTube app remembers where you were when you exit to answer a text, iM, email etc.

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
I have to disagree about the speakers: I think they are very clear and resonant considering the size of the device.

I just hope that Samsung treat this device as their baby and don't fob us off. I think there is developer interest in this device and I hope my enjoyment of the device increases month-by-month....

Mine definitely vibrate when i watch things loud. And of course having them on one of the short sides is pointless since you will spend the majority of your time watching in landscape. They should be on the long end/ ends... though this would make them quieter.

Another thing ive found really annoying is the wrong number/ order of soft keys...

And i agree sammy has to come out with clear statements regarding their intent vis a vis future updates. Im going to start a thread about it ;)

techdaring

Oct 8, 2010
You mean you paid $1,200 for this tablet ? I think the price for the unlock version sim free is from $600 to $700 ? Why is it so high ?

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
You mean you paid $1,200 for this tablet ? I think the price for the unlock version sim free is from $600 to $700 ? Why is it so high ?

lol - its over $1000 in a number of eu countries... so you can consider yourself lucky

in any case, the one i got was one of three that were in moscow at the time (it was early october, just after the very first release in italy)

it can now be got for $900-1000 here, but i was glad to pay a premium to be 1st in town :p

brendand

Nov 14, 2010
I would suggest everyone will dial *#1234# and put in here all the info about firmware.

I purchased mine in Dubai Airport for 888 USD.

PDA JJ2
PHONE JJ1
CSC JJ3

Kernal version 2.6.32.9 root@mea04 #1

Be aware the middle east version does not include Android Market!

Quadrant Score: 1031

Last edited:

rsawoseyin

May 26, 2007
Lagos
I am surprised you said the email client is excellent. I find it obnoxious that Outlook emails open with different font sizes and I often have to manually enlarge the fonts to be able to read even what I sent out. If there is a way to make it not change display font sizes I would appreciate know how. Still on emails, I have 2 other gripes: (a) If I do not copy myself in an email I send, I do not have a copy anywhere - I would have expected a copy in my Sent folder, but none. (b) Yesterday I was appalled to see a copy of an email I sent displayed as one infinite line with no word wrap!

Last edited:

adambowersva

Jun 6, 2010
I am surprised you said the email client is excellent. I find it obnoxious that Outlook emails open with different font sizes and I often have to manually enlarge the fonts to be able to read even what I sent out. If there is a way to make it not change display font sizes I would appreciate know how. Still on emails, I have 2 other gripes: (a) If I do not copy myself in an email I send, I do not have a copy anywhere - I would have expected a copy in my Sent folder, but none. (b) Yesterday I was appalled to see a copy of an email I sent displayed as one infinite line with no word wrap!

Mine does shoe copies of sent mail in the sent folder so I don't know why yours doesn't...but the feature is definitely there.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Please... this is a flaming red herring. In an android environment you will find just the right app for all your email needs. I said it how i saw it... you arent bound to use it if it doesnt work for you - that is the beauty of choice.

essahar

Mar 26, 2006
lol - its over $1000 in a number of eu countries... so you can consider yourself lucky

in any case, the one i got was one of three that were in moscow at the time (it was early october, just after the very first release in italy)

it can now be got for $900-1000 here, but i was glad to pay a premium to be 1st in town :p

Congratulation for the tablet, I know the feeling to be the first to own a device and that's worth the extra that you paid, however I have a question did you own an ipad? can you make a comparison, actually I have and ipad and reading on it's screen very good, I used to read news on my 3.8" mobile phone but after getting used to the ipad I cannot do that anymore and I hold a galaxy tab in a store and the screen look small, can you compare this point is there some good rss reader for the galaxy?

Thanks

ronnieho

Mar 1, 2005
When I sold my HTC HD2 & thinking of moving to HTC HD7 or Galaxy Tab, I did some google search and the choice was obvious:
1. Windows7 will not have SMS chinese hand recognition SIP until 2H2011;
2. Local Newspaper - Straits Times DL session write-ups about the severe lack of applications of WP7 vs Android;
3. I have company phone so I can use this for all my phone usage; so good idea to turn my private phone into a tablet/phone like Galaxy tab, so that I can read more for downloads articles.

So I bought Tab on the 14th from Singtel, was concerned about sync tho but the staff there assure me active sync could be used, eventhough I heard from another Samsung KIES is written for sync as well.

I have used WM for more than 10 years and was sad that Microsoft had such a headstart in mobile PDA phones but failed to keep it-up; I am so glad at the same time to have turned to Android samsung Galaxy Tab for following reasons:
1. 7" is portable enough to put in pocket; kind of in-between a phone & iPAD so it is a very good compromise;
2. Andorid market and the way it is made so accessible is impressive; I already purchased couples of applications software, enjoying the shopping experience:)
3. Reader's Hub & De!ite allows you to download newspapers and magazine into the 7" amazing impressive SWVGA screen, that make me for the first time really understand the joy of reading on portable device with 7" screen. No wonder eventhough for the years before I had all the smart/PDA phones, I have never really bothered to browse or read e-books even at 4.3" HD2.

However there are some issues I experienced:
1. Biggest let-down: Samsung KIES, cannot sync well at all especially contacts ( I have 3000+ ended only 800+ being sync )I called Samsung help-line with obviously some foreign accent speaking CSR promising me to get back to me but never called thereafter; video conversion was another let-down, mkv format can be converted but ended with 7GB of size so the converter software did not downsize it to suit portable usage like Tab. Obviously the staffs at the Singtel Comcentre launch talked nonsense that active-sync from Microsoft can support Tab;
2. AGIS NavFone: after downloaded from Samsung Apps, dont be surprised it has GPS fix problem, it took forever! Try delete the entire folder at root directory and re-download again & try if fail try download again & again until it works. But frankly after using MapKing for years, I am very uncomfortable at the lacks of UI of AGIS and will research more from Android market for better alternatives;
3. Amped : was very impressive initially cos it is 1st time for me to use this portal for song downloads, until I realised that it has serious lack of songs availabilities, probably Amped fails to secure digital rights from most fo the artists or label companies.
4. De!ite: the magazine choices that come free bundles from Singtel has a lack of choices for downloads. But it is a good start.
5. NLB: to access NLB through LIYP was very very slow, eventhough I subsribed to 3G+ plan having a DL of 7.2Mbps bandwidth.
6. ThinkFree Office: supposed to support Microsft office, but already some of my powerpoint could not be opened.
7. Contacts: does not support some of the good features under WM, example, the grouping is not compatible.

Anywhere I am enjoying every minutes of owning a samsung Galaxy Tab as it has enrich my user experience far better than my previous owns of PDA/smartphone or Archos 704WIFI, Creative ZEN, etc.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Congratulation for the tablet, I know the feeling to be the first to own a device and that's worth the extra that you paid, however I have a question did you own an ipad? can you make a comparison, actually I have and ipad and reading on it's screen very good, I used to read news on my 3.8" mobile phone but after getting used to the ipad I cannot do that anymore and I hold a galaxy tab in a store and the screen look small, can you compare this point is there some good rss reader for the galaxy?

Thanks

I dont own an ipad - not much into idevices. I have used one however, and reading magazines and newspapers is certainly better by virtue of the aspect ratio. But on a tab i generally read things online, which is just fine. And of course its the perfect ereader too.

In any case, the tab is a much more mobile device than the ipad. Its the kind of thing that ill happily take on trips with me, and because i always bring a laptop anyway, i dont need another device of approximate size. Its a question of how you use it really - for me the tab has more than enough pixels in a mobile package.

That said i will be getting a larger (10-12 inch) win 7 based tablet for using at home when good ones start to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***UPDATED 2ND FEBRUARY 2011***

Ive decided to write a quick review of the Galaxy Tab. It may help some of the undecided to make up their mind before release day.

I purchased my device in Russia, though the hardware and some bloatware is from Italy. It is the 16GB model, running stock JK5 firmware.

Specs
    Full hardware specifications can be found at GSMArena. They also have a nice 3D view and lots of high res photos.

Price
    I paid $1200 for mine in early October - it was one of the very first in town. Can now be had for $800 though. Its unlocked and works flawlessly on both the carriers i subscribe to (MTS and Megafon). No regrets.

Build
    Solid as they come. No flex of any kind. Good glossy materials that look expensive. Combined with the SGP Argos case the tab just looks so much richer than an ipad. I think its the Gorilla Glass :)

Usability
    Very easy to hold in one hand and also (importantly for ipad owners) very natural to hold in two. The keyboard can be typed on with the thumbs of both hands in landscape, which is excellent.

The screen is a glossy but sunlight proof Super TFT LCD (aka S-IPS, the same tech as the ipad), with excellent color, good whites and contrast. Color saturation, as well as black/white density are easily adjustable from the settings menu so the picture can be tweaked to taste. Whats more, you can always tilt the tablet just a few degrees in your hand to avoid most reflections - the viewing angles are what youd expect from an IPS display - excellent!

It has been said the display is inferior to the ipad. This is not entirely true - hydis supplies the same tech to both sammy and lg (who assemble ipad displays).

There is a ghosting issue, but it is unnoticeable under normal conditions. I wonder if its connected to the gpu rather than display itself, because it seems quite unlikely that a modern lcd could possibly have such slow response times as to be clearly visible...

My only gripe is the 16:9 resolution, which is not all that useful for viewing web pages. We could have done with a less widescreen form factor (16:10 would have been perfect). That said, it really does fit excellently into almost any jean pocket, and in most of my inside jacket pockets.

Speed
    The device boots quickly and the default Touchwiz home launcher is very smooth. Applications scroll smoothly, as does the app drawer. LauncherPro works flawlessly and has the added advantage of removing the taskbar if needed.

The biggest problem Ive encountered speed wise is in the stock 2.2 browser, which is slow to render and unresponsive in my JK5 Tab. Hopefully there will be significant improvements in Gingerbread and Honeycomb, but for now Im using a combination of Dolphin Mini and Firefox/Fennec nighlies.

Apps
    The majority of applications i use on my phones work well in high resolution, but there are many out there that do not. I can see that the market has a long way to go before the kind of apps that are available on the ipad appear there too.

There is now a tweak which will stretch most apps to fullscreen perfectly using an app called Spare Parts from the market.

The simple theming options now available from XDA members here should be welcomed by anyone interested in making small tweaks to the interface. In my book this is definitely a win for android in general.

Playback
    Annoyingly, youtube videos are pretty crappy. The app seems to do a lot of post-processing, probably because it defaults to a 480p resolution (though i counld be wrong on this). In any case, the ipad is definitely a winner in this department.

For general viewing i use vPlayer Alpha - it plays almost every video with no problems. AVI and MKV files are my mainstay, and to finally use them on an android os device with a gorgeous screen, as they were intended, is a joy.

The Allshare app that streams via DLNA is also quite good, though slow populating lists from my 2tb server. Not to worry though, XDA members have already got cifs.ko working, so head on to the dev section if you want to speed things up.

Also, the internal SD's FAT file system wont allow files larger than 4GB, so you'll have to split your 720p movies. Pretty annoying, all things considered.

The speakers on the device are excellent for listening to music, but in an annoying position if you are holding your tab and watching movies.

Phone, messaging, GPS
    The phone works very well. Calls are clear and crisp, though the awful audio is pretty annoying without earphones. The Samsung email app is excellent, especially in landscape mode. A great replacement for gmail. Messaging is also very good and reminds me of handsent sms, but you can always replace it if you're a heavy user.

GPS worked flawlessly for me. Most of the time without A-GPS to conserve battery and accuracy was excellent. Apparently the Orange firmware has superior GPS, so if you are looking to increase the accuracy and acquisition speed a simple tweak is available to everyone with root in the dev section.

Bugs
    In the four months Ive been using it, the Tab has exhibited few errors. It runs nice and cool and has experienced very few force closes.

However, i did have trouble connecting to the Kies software for a while. It took some shamanism to get it going at first, but having upgraded to the JK5 OTA everything is now stable on my x64 machine.

The Samsung email app sometimes fails to provide notifications to the taskbar, despite having downloaded mail.

Battery
    The battery is excellent. Personally i find that with heavy use (and i don't watch much video) the battery lasts 8-10 hours. In standby it lasts for many days, especially in airplane mode+on demeand wifi. With nonstop use it would probably do no more than 6. I dont use the power saving feature, and brightness is generally set about half way.

Conclusion
    The Tab is a great device right now, but i expect it will get a lot better with a few firmware updates down the road. Android at its best.

Pros:
    Ergonomic, svelte, fast, good GPS, full market access, almost bug free

Cons:
    Annoying aspect ratio, no files larger than 4GB.

XDA GALAXY TAB BIBLE - ALL GUIDES ON ONE PAGE
    Hmmm...interesting. After a few days use, and now reading your review, I'm starting to think there are two different versions out there.

While I agree with most of your comments, some of them seem totally off the mark for me, among those:

The Samsung email app seems pretty awful to me. It's painfully slow and takes ages to connect to POP3 or SMTP servers. It has also force closed a few times. Whereas the new GMail client is damn near perfect IMHO.
    Also, I'm having trouble finding quite a few apps in the market. And it's not because they're not available in my country or not compatible with the Galaxy Tab. Latest example: UAE (Amiga emulator) for Android. Works fine, but I had to download it with my G1 and then transfer the apk to the Tab.

On the other hand, I find that the new Youtube client works flawlessly. Fast, smooth, auto-fullscreen in landscape mode. Awesome. Also, the browser is a delight. Blindingly fast (much faster than anything I've tried on my other Android devices) and amazingly intuitive to use (stuff like automatically scaling the text perfectly, ultra smooth pinch-to-zoom, very flexible editing options in textboxes etc.)

Finally, and this seems the weirdest discrepancy of all: My screen is most-certainly not matte. It's high gloss and very attractive to fingerprints.

So? Two versions of the Tab?
    Sure.

Bought the phone in Switzerland, unbranded unlocked version. Running on Swisscom network.
    I haven't rooted it or modified anything yet, so this is still retail version.
    From the device info tab (translated freely from german, please forgive any errors):

Model: GT-P1000
    Firmware Version: 2.2
    Basebandversion: P1000XXJID
    Kernel-Version: 2.6.32.9 root@sep-58 #1
    Build Number: FROYO.XXJID
    My Italian tab bought in Russia:

PDA: P1000XXJID
    PHONE: P1000XXJID
    CSC: P1000OXAJID
    I share the same experiences as others in regards to the Samsung email client.
    It's good but it is slow.
    Fortunately, Nitrodesk just released a new version of Touchdown a few days ago which supports Tab devices and has the same layout as the Samsung email app.
    The major advantage is that it is not slow at all and has ton of more exchange features.

I also find the browser problematic and slow, with our without flash (just like the SGS). there is something very wrong about the browser sumsung is releasing with 2.2 and i hope it can be fixed with future firmwares.
    Strangely enough, using Dolphin HD (which is also using the same libwebcore.so file) is resulting is a slightly better experience.

Other than that i am really enjoying the Tab. there is no lag at all in the OS (minus the browser). Youtube works just fine for me and the video player did play every file i threw at it until now.

I find the battery life very good and i am heavy user. i get more than on full day with heavy use.

You *should* be getting 8 hours usage with screen on (i.e. actual usage).

Update: i do find the task bar drawer to be jittery for some reason on any firmware BUT XXJI5. on JI5 it is super smooth and solid so i am not sire what Samsung hanged in all other firmwares that makes it so slow.