Who uses the volume button as a dedicated shutter button when taking pics?

Which shutter button do you use when taking pics?

• Onscreen shutter button

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Volume button as a shutter

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • I don't like taking pictures with my phone

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

primetimelive

Dec 13, 2010
I've always found the on screen shutter button to be cumbersome when taking pictures and longed for phones that have dedicated shutter buttons. Since I'm a big fan of the Nexus line of phones, having a dedicated shutter button on the top right while holding the phone in landscape was a long shot.

Playing around with the Nexus 5 the past few days has opened up the possibilities of having a dedicated shutter button on the phone. Yeah, the volume button is on the lower left when holding the phone in landscape mode for pics, but I find it to be way better than tapping on that blue on screen button. Seems to be very ergonomic and in line with how the phone should be used when taking photos.

Do you guys use the volume button when taking photos or do you just use the on screen button?

Try using the volume button when taking photos with your Nexus 5. You might just like it :)

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I actually hit it accidentally with my thumb trying to take a picture one time. Pleasantly surprised. :good:

cooooooop

Nov 8, 2013
News to me, thanks for pointing this feature out, this is really useful. Makes me wonder if some of the poor reviews of the camera's inability to focus quickly enough might have been mitigated by this knowledge.

Reactions: primetimelive

primetimelive

Dec 13, 2010
News to me, thanks for pointing this feature out, this is really useful. Makes me wonder if some of the poor reviews of the camera's inability to focus quickly enough might have been mitigated by this knowledge.

I find that it still takes a while to focus. However it makes it so that the phone is a little bit more stable since you have two hands supporting the phone as you would as if you were holding a camera.

Stable phone = better pics

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Scottland

Jun 6, 2006

Not really, pressing the volume button instead of the on screen shutter triggers the same action. The focus issues seem software related so should be fixed in a future release hopefully...

primetimelive

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on this. didnt know you could do this!!

No problem. I actually thought it was widely known. I just wanted to see if people use it a lot.

I had a Galaxy Nexus before the 5 and I would use the volume button as a shutter on occasion. However the volume button on the GNex is situated lower and isn't too ergonomic when for taking pics. The Nexus 5 on the other hand, seems to be more suited to have the volume button as the shutter since the volume buttons are at the right place for your fingers when you're holding the phone as a camera.

I wonder if the designers took this into consideration when they designed the phone.

Reactions: Lanarchy

mattcoz

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago
Rotate the phone the other way, it's now on the top-right! ;)
But, the way I hold it, my finger then covers the lens. Also, it ends up displaying a black bar on the left side, very weird. Why doesn't the camera user immersive mode? :confused:

I usually use the on screen button, since I'm often touching the screen to focus anyway.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
i use the volume keys to shoot photos only if im shooting with one hand, like for this shot..

14+-+1

Reactions: Ubelsteiner

Gatz

Oct 19, 2007
Volume rocker is great when taking a picture of yourself, or in every situation where you don't really know where you are tapping :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've always found the on screen shutter button to be cumbersome when taking pictures and longed for phones that have dedicated shutter buttons. Since I'm a big fan of the Nexus line of phones, having a dedicated shutter button on the top right while holding the phone in landscape was a long shot.

Playing around with the Nexus 5 the past few days has opened up the possibilities of having a dedicated shutter button on the phone. Yeah, the volume button is on the lower left when holding the phone in landscape mode for pics, but I find it to be way better than tapping on that blue on screen button. Seems to be very ergonomic and in line with how the phone should be used when taking photos.

Do you guys use the volume button when taking photos or do you just use the on screen button?

Try using the volume button when taking photos with your Nexus 5. You might just like it :)
    Love this! Didn't even know :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

LOL but then the Nexus logo on the back is upside down! How will people know that I'm taking their pic with a Nexus phone? j/k :)
    :cool:
    Yeah, the volume button is on the lower left when holding the phone in landscape mode for pics, but I find it to be way better than tapping on that blue on screen button.