[RESOURCE] Modding Sense 6

Search This thread

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
I posted this thread in the International M8 forum, but since there are some awesome themers on the Sprint side, figured I'd crosspost it here, get your input as well.

Feel free to post comments in this thread to help keep it alive, but if you've any stuff to add please click through and add them to the main thread so it's easier for me to index stuff. If a passing mod feels like making this a sticky, then I could close the thread and keep the International one as the main thread.

So Sense 6 is finally here, and it brings with it another round of the cat and mouse game that HTC loves to play with XDA themers.

Veteran HTC themers will know that each version of Sense brings new challenges, and sadly Sense 6 is no exception. I had made a bunch of reference guides for Sense 5.5, but other than sending out the Dropbox link, never got around to doing much with them.

I figured this time I'd hit the ground running and create a central thread where we could all share what we've found, rather than scattered posts in various mod/theme/rom threads.

Please feel free to add any theming stuff you find while exploring Sense 6, requests for help etc. Pictures of your themes/mods are welcome, provided you are also explaining how you did them if the info isn't already posted in the thread.

INDEX (International thread)

Post 2: General tips, pointers and observations

Post 3: fisha21's contributions
  • Working with Sense 6
  • Troublesome apks
  • Frameworks and tags
  • Public id's
  • How to stop the 4x1 weather clock changing colour according to time of day

Post 4: Fringe theming - hosted by @Pneuma1985
  • Internalizing color in htcclockweatherwidget.apk & Inverting 4x1 clock
  • Change small / large weather icons to white in smali
  • Change the vertical divider in 4x1 clock to an image that can be themed
  • Removing the SystemUI notification drawer bg fade in/fade out..
  • Changing fonts selectively in any apps not causing a global change
  • Animate the status_bar_close_on and keep the carrier label at the same time

Post 5: Theming on the razor's edge - hosted by Raymond Ebertt
  • Transparent Prism Appdrawer Background
  • Custom Panels for the WeatherClockWidget.apk
  • Inverting Issues
  • Inverting Data Usage Background
  • Inverting Weather.apk Backgrounds
  • Background in Browser.apk when Nagivating Tabs

Change which weather icons sets are used for day and night clocks - thanks @2WildFirE

HTC app buttons - thanks @ineedone

Ok / cancel buttons in HTC apps - thanks @ViNOK16Bit

Entry field background in pop up Contact card - thanks @ineedone

Phonebook entry selection bar in pop up Contact card (see screenshot for Entry field background) - thanks @Basil3

Remove On / Off labels from HTC settings toggles - thanks @ineedone

Moving signal cluster to lefthand side of statusbar - thanks @Pneuma1985

Icon PSD's for HTC apps - thanks @Pfaffinator (the icon king!)

Dropbox folder with the various notes I made for Sense 5.5. Not sure how much of it still applies to Sense 6, but might as well post them here.

THINGS THAT STILL NEED FINDING

Thanks @Basil3 for the idea

• Popup to correct text in keyboard - screenshot
  • Preview images for the themes - screenshot - see post 3 for further info on this
  • Background in HTC Setup app

Last edited:

MassStash

Sep 26, 2008
Chicago
Interested in modding blinkfeed or prism grid, I think lockscreen may need it too, so that 420dpi works fitting icons/widgets wise.

~m8whl modded stock
2.265 Max ¦ 300 Min
ondemand
row

nuvens

Feb 17, 2009
San Fernando Valley
@fisha21 thank you for all the contributions you've made, a lot of themers have used your guides and definitely made theming easier. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for when I start theming my m8.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Reactions: dazednconfused

dazednconfused

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
Charleston, WV
twitter.com
@fisha21 thank you for all the contributions you've made, a lot of themers have used your guides and definitely made theming easier. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for when I start theming my m8.

I was really hoping that some Team 420 guys were getting the M8. Glad to see you over here.

Sent from my wicked HTC One M8.

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007

Thanks for the kind words my friend :)

Interested in modding blinkfeed or prism grid, I think lockscreen may need it too, so that 420dpi works fitting icons/widgets wise.

Ah yes, that screen is just crying out for a higher dpi. I'll have to look into that at some point, unless you crack it first!

dazednconfused

Jan 21, 2011
Charleston, WV
twitter.com
Thanks for the awesome guide @fisha21. Going to check out a bunch of the links. Have you had any time to look at the keyboard? Just wondered if it pulls images from somewhere else now or if the buttons are actually just color xmls now. I guess I'll have to learn how to use vts now, because when I decompile the HTC-IME.apk with apktool I get some really weird stuff going on. Thanks in advance and appreciate all of this info.

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks for the awesome guide @fisha21. Going to check out a bunch of the links. Have you had any time to look at the keyboard? Just wondered if it pulls images from somewhere else now or if the buttons are actually just color xmls now. I guess I'll have to learn how to use vts now, because when I decompile the HTC-IME.apk with apktool I get some really weird stuff going on. Thanks in advance and appreciate all of this info.

Glad you found it useful, looking forward to your contributions too :)

I haven't actually looked into IME at all yet, but I have been told that all the colours etc have been moved back to xml, not in smali like Sense 5.5. Have also been told that the keys are indeed now a colour in colors.xml. Thanks to @Mr Hofs and @Basil3 for those tips!

Reactions: dazednconfused

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Nice we get a thread too ;) and didnt ray just solve the problem with the keyboard not sure if saw that or not but i thought i did.

Haha, of course...always room for our Sprint cousins at the party. Think the fix Ray posted was for the background of the word suggestion panel. Don't think anyone's posted details of all the IME stuff yet, although sounds like some of the stuff might be similar to my Sense 5.5 guide in the dropbox folder link in the OP?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MassStash

Sep 26, 2008
Chicago
Yea, very interested in getting 420dpi or something to work properly with prism launcher. Stopped scaling proper in sense 5.x.

~Jflteusc on OctOS
KToonsez Kernel
1.998 Max ¦ 189 Min ¦ 702 Screen Off
Ktoonsified v5 Setup

dazednconfused

Jan 21, 2011
Charleston, WV
twitter.com
Glad you found it useful, looking forward to your contributions too :)

I haven't actually looked into IME at all yet, but I have been told that all the colours etc have been moved back to xml, not in smali like Sense 5.5. Have also been told that the keys are indeed now a colour in colors.xml. Thanks to @Mr Hofs and @Basil3 for those tips!

Cool and thank you. I finally got the keyboard where i can decompile/compile it. Had to fix all of the broken images to get to that point, thanks to reading your main thread to figure that out. Now i gotta try and figure out how to direct the key background to an image instead of color in values/colors, so we can really make them stand out. Thanks again for your help and everyone that has contributed to the reference guide.

Reactions: fisha21

Top Liked Posts