Looking for Canadian i337m users.

Search This thread

Bluntified

Jul 23, 2012
Sauga
Hello all. First off I have a I337m with baseband NE1. I never see this mentioned anywhere and wanted to know what I can do with this phone.

I've rooted already (with towelroot) and wanted to get a custom bootloader. I've read and read then read somemore but found too many mixed staments regarding this.

Can I install a custom bootloader (say through goo manager) without worries or is there more to it? Does it completely overwrite the stock bootloader?

Do I need to worry about Loki?

Can we use other carrier ROMs?

Is it safe to say that everything in this sub forum works with my device?

Im familiar with flashing and the likes coming from the S2 with CM10.2 but there are too many varients and mixed statments (old to new methods) and I can't for the life of me find direction.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
This is what I know about the i337m, mind you I don't have the device:

You can root using chainfires cf-auto root

Use trwp manager to install twrp

You can flash any rom here and you don't need Loki

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
Hello all. First off I have a I337m with baseband NE1. I never see this mentioned anywhere and wanted to know what I can do with this phone.

I've rooted already (with towelroot) and wanted to get a custom bootloader. I've read and read then read somemore but found too many mixed staments regarding this.

Can I install a custom bootloader (say through goo manager) without worries or is there more to it? Does it completely overwrite the stock bootloader?

Im familiar with flashing and the likes coming from the S2 with CM10.2 but there are too many varients and mixed statments (old to new methods) and I can't for the life of me find direction.

I have the same phone on Telus... as far as the "custom bootloader" I think you really mean custom recovery, I use TWRP version 2.7. You can also use Philz recovery or CWM but I perfer TWRP as it hasnt given me any issues. If you load TWRP don't go for the latest version as I have seen guys have problems with the latest and greatest.
Once you have twrp on your phone... before you do anything else... make a backup in twrp of your current rooted stock rom so you have a starting point. In twrp, I like to do all backups to the external sd card as there may come a time where you do a factory wipe... and poof its gone...
In the developement thread... there is a rom called Mapleleaf works very well on this phone... I run it myself with the googy-max3 kernel.
If you decide to flash anything else... make sure it will work for i337m, I have seen people get into trouble flashing things meant for the US version (i337). Our bootloader is unlocked so you don't need saftey strap or loki or other things that the i337 users need.
When in doubt... search the forum... if you find nothing... ask before you do anything strange.

As far as the bootloader goes... try to stay on your current one.. mine is still MK6. Once the bootloader is updated there is no going back... period.....

Reactions: Bluntified

Bluntified

Jul 23, 2012
Sauga
This helped a lot man, I appreciate it.

So just to clarify, can I use goo manager for the recovery or should I use Odin? And is there any version in particular [TWRP] that I should use? What version are you running?

How do I check my bootloader version?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Jchef

Aug 26, 2013

So just to clarify, can I use goo manager for the recovery or should I use Odin? And is there any version in particular [TWRP] that I should use? What version are you running?

You can use goo manager or Odin. Just make sure you have the right version. FYI twrp 2.5.0.2 is the most reliable version that I have used for this device.

Tapatalked from California Custom Chrome M&M I337m

Bluntified

Jul 23, 2012
Sauga
My bootloader ends in NE1, does that pose a problem - I rarely see it mentioned anywhere? I took the OTA in case anyone is wondering. Basically, can I flash something that's not NE1?

Also, I've been reading that the ROM that's going to be flashed needs to be the same Android Version as the current one on the phone, is this still true?

Last edited:

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
My bootloader ends in NE1, does that pose a problem - I rarely see it mentioned anywhere? I took the OTA in case anyone is wondering. Basically, can I flash something that's not NE1?

Also, I've been reading that the ROM that's going to be flashed needs to be the same Android Version as the current one on the phone, is this still true?

This will mean you can flash any rom (for i337m) that is 4.4.2 version of android. You can always go up on android version to bootloader but you can't go down versions unless the bootloader is an earlier version. Since most roms are 4.4.2 or higher, I don't think this should be an issue, not many people are looking to go to an older version of android..... bigger... better and all that...

strakn

Nov 7, 2014
This will mean you can flash any rom (for i337m) that is 4.4.2 version of android. You can always go up on android version to bootloader but you can't go down versions unless the bootloader is an earlier version. Since most roms are 4.4.2 or higher, I don't think this should be an issue, not many people are looking to go to an older version of android..... bigger... better and all that...

Is this true, bc I have a bell galaxy 4, 4.4.2 i337m NE1 , I want to install a custom recovery,
but I thought my bootloader was locked because its says write protection enabled on the download screen which I thought
meant the bootloader was locked.

liquidzyklon

Mar 2, 2011
Is this true, bc I have a bell galaxy 4, 4.4.2 i337m NE1 , I want to install a custom recovery,
but I thought my bootloader was locked because its says write protection enabled on the download screen which I thought
meant the bootloader was locked.
The I337M bootloader is not locked. What you are seeing when you boot after rooting is that you tripped KNOX since new bootloaders are closely tied to KNOX so any violation = tripped KNOX.

I have I337M from Telus with NE1 bootloader (4.4.2) and custom Rom PhoeniX. Everything is great except a newly discovered TD Bank App and inability to link my TD Visa to it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have the same phone on Telus... as far as the "custom bootloader" I think you really mean custom recovery, I use TWRP version 2.7. You can also use Philz recovery or CWM but I perfer TWRP as it hasnt given me any issues. If you load TWRP don't go for the latest version as I have seen guys have problems with the latest and greatest.
    Once you have twrp on your phone... before you do anything else... make a backup in twrp of your current rooted stock rom so you have a starting point. In twrp, I like to do all backups to the external sd card as there may come a time where you do a factory wipe... and poof its gone...
    In the developement thread... there is a rom called Mapleleaf works very well on this phone... I run it myself with the googy-max3 kernel.
    If you decide to flash anything else... make sure it will work for i337m, I have seen people get into trouble flashing things meant for the US version (i337). Our bootloader is unlocked so you don't need saftey strap or loki or other things that the i337 users need.
    When in doubt... search the forum... if you find nothing... ask before you do anything strange.

As far as the bootloader goes... try to stay on your current one.. mine is still MK6. Once the bootloader is updated there is no going back... period.....

You can use goo manager or Odin. Just make sure you have the right version. FYI twrp 2.5.0.2 is the most reliable version that I have used for this device.

Tapatalked from California Custom Chrome M&M I337m
    If you want an older version of twrp use odin... goomanager will likely try to load the latest version... as for checking which bootloader version you have, download the app phone info from the play store.... here... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo&hl=en
    my version of twrp is 2.6.3.1 and it works fine... as stated... 2.5 is also recommended by some of the devs....